Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

showbiz_liz posted:

I'm so loving glad Trump prodded Clinton on her religion.

it was so weird, because she's always been really open about being a dyed-in-the-wool methodist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

brian beutler more or less pointed that out yesterday

Yeah it's like some Democrats I know that wouldn't vote for Bernie in the general if he somehow won the primary because his economic policy was so "crazy." Yeah sure President Trump is really going to do well for your stock portfolios.

pacmania90
May 31, 2010

That's a link to the congressional record, which contains amendment (4749), you moron.

Feinstein proposed an amendment (4720), which was her no-fly-list proposal, to HR 2578, which was an appropriations bill. Cornyn proposed amendment (4749) which amended (4720) to his version of the proposal. Murphy proposed an amendment (4750), which was his background check proposal, to HR 2578. Grassley proposed amendment (4751), which amended (4750) to his proposal to increase funding to the NICS.

All of the "poison pill" amendments were to HR 2578, not amendments to any of the gun control proposals. I'd even say that it's wrong to call them poison pills because they were actually more relevant to HR 2578 than any of the gun control amendments.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I'm not reading all those amendments but zero Democratic leaders pointed to any poison pill. They pointed to the bills being milquetoast.

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
What, specifically, was she responding to? There's too much verbal diarrhea coming from that man to sift through.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

pacmania90 posted:

you moron.

KittenofDoom posted:

What, specifically, was she responding to? There's too much verbal diarrhea coming from that man to sift through.

He met with evangelicals yesterday and was like "I've never heard Hillary even once talk about religion"

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
Meanwhile, while Trump gave a boring teleprompter speech that doesn't really address is bigger issues, HIllary is rolling out her big infrastructure spending plan: http://www.vox.com/2015/12/1/9826668/clinton-infrastructure-plan-explained

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

KittenofDoom posted:

Trump tried to use his Obama Is A Secret Muslim attack line on her by trying to imply we don't know about her religion and maybe she too is a secret muslim.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
https://twitter.com/jbendery/status/745689429839331328

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
So what you're saying is:

There was a Root Bill - 2578.

Attached to this was (for our purposes) 3 things:

1. Amendment 4720, which had attached to it 4749

2. Amendment 4750, which had attached to it 4751

3. Various Amendments being accused of being "poison pills" in this thread

So it was completely possible to pass the bill with any of those proposals without enacting any of the poison pills. Is this what you're saying, and is it accurate?

pacmania90
May 31, 2010

That doesn't say what you think it says, you illiterate moron.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

https://twitter.com/tparsi/status/745668721365098496

:3:

pacmania90
May 31, 2010

theflyingorc posted:

So what you're saying is:

There was a Root Bill - 2578.

Attached to this was (for our purposes) 3 things:

1. Amendment 4720, which had attached to it 4749

2. Amendment 4750, which had attached to it 4751

3. Various Amendments being accused of being "poison pills" in this thread

So it was completely possible to pass the bill with any of those proposals without enacting any of the poison pills. Is this what you're saying, and is it accurate?

That's pretty much correct.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

pacmania90 posted:

That doesn't say what you think it says, you illiterate moron.

haha drat

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Confirmed: Keith Ellison in the pocket of Big Mom

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

I'm sorry if this has been answered up thread, but what exactly is John Lewis et. al. strategy? Usually you filibuster/sit-in when you want legislation to fail, not when you want it to succeed. You can't make anybody vote in favor of gun legislation.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Get attention and embarrass the Republicans. I mean there's not much else to do as long as the GOP has the majority.

"What's the point of lunch counter sit-ins? It's not like that'll do anything, like change the laws on segregation."

Edit: Just to clarify this was the most famous sit-in example that leapt to my mind, they're not the same thing.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Baron Porkface posted:

I'm sorry if this has been answered up thread, but what exactly is John Lewis et. al. strategy? Usually you filibuster/sit-in when you want legislation to fail, not when you want it to succeed. You can't make anybody vote in favor of gun legislation.

They know that, but they're trying to show Republicans won't even bother letting it get a vote (and if they do, giving them a cudgel for attack ads when they vote down efforts that have broad-ish support)

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Baron Porkface posted:

It shows that democrats are committed to enacting gun control legislation while republicans aren't, so if you don't want your kid or yourself shot up in school / night club / movie theater you should probably vote for them.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

For those of you who don't know who John Lewis is -- he's not just a civil rights leader, but an icon. He was part of the "big six" along with MLK. He's a living legend.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Meanwhile, while Trump gave a boring teleprompter speech that doesn't really address is bigger issues, HIllary is rolling out her big infrastructure spending plan: http://www.vox.com/2015/12/1/9826668/clinton-infrastructure-plan-explained

That was last updated in 2015...

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also you can get their votes on the record to use against them in a future campaign. "Voted against keeping assault rifles out of the hands of terrorists"

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

For those of you who don't know who John Lewis is -- he's not just a civil rights leader, but an icon. He was part of the "big six" along with MLK. He's a living legend.

https://twitter.com/RepMarkWalker/status/745688490940203009

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Boon posted:

That was last updated in 2015...

Sorry thought it was an updated version with today's stuff, my bad!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

A Winner is Jew posted:

It shows that democrats are committed to enacting gun control legislation while republicans aren't, so if you don't want your kid or yourself shot up in school / night club / movie theater you should probably vote for them.

Also it shows how different the parties act when decorum breaks down. Trump versus John Lewis is PR battle Democrats would love.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Sorry thought it was an updated version with today's stuff, my bad!

I am curious to see this though

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

zoux posted:

Also you can get their votes on the record to use against them in a future campaign. "Voted against keeping assault rifles out of the hands of terrorists"

I mean, part of the motivation behind this HAD to be "I bet if we have John Lewis lead a sit-in some stupid Republican will lecture him on 'proper' sit-ins."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/dwallbank/status/745690463273885696

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I flipped that on right at the moment some Congressman was pointing out how stupid it was for the Republicans to shut off the cameras because now more people are tuning in on the internet than ever would have on CSPAN. And then the cameraman just chuckled.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

zoux posted:

I believe he means to say that they're disgracing Woolworth sit in. Instead, his grammar means that this sit-in is disgracing the Woolworth department store.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Listening to some of these reps speak, it really surprises me how poor some of them are at speaking off the cuff.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Well sure, he marched with MLK, but what has he done for civil rights since then?

That was a joke. John Lewis owns.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Speaker Ryan employing the "block the cell signals" strategy.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Lote posted:

I believe he means to say that they're disgracing Woolworth sit in. Instead, his grammar means that this sit-in is disgracing the Woolworth department store.

Yeah, it took me a second read to get what he meant.

STAC Goat posted:

I flipped that on right at the moment some Congressman was pointing out how stupid it was for the Republicans to shut off the cameras because now more people are tuning in on the internet than ever would have on CSPAN. And then the cameraman just chuckled.

He's absolutely correct. I mentioned it earlier in the thread. Republicans should hire me. I'm better than their PR people and I am neither a PR major or out of college.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lote posted:

I know what he's saying but he's currently saying this about an event led by a guy who's probably the foremost living expert on sit ins. Don't lecture John Lewis on what disgraces the memory of the Civil Rights Movement.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Internet Webguy posted:

Well sure, he marched with MLK, but what has he done for civil rights since then?

That was a joke. John Lewis owns.

The only person alive who can say "IF MLK WERE ALIVE TODAY ________" and not get scoffed at instantly?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

it was so weird, because she's always been really open about being a dyed-in-the-wool methodist

But not about her ties with Doug Coe and all that lot, which is something I'd forgotten that I don't care for about her, not that it really matters so much because those fuckers worm their way in with everyone, it seems.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Arrgytehpirate posted:

The only person alive who can say "IF MLK WERE ALIVE TODAY ________" and not get scoffed at instantly?

if MLK were alive today it would be really awkward that we've been acting like he's dead for 50 years

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Yeah, it took me a second read to get what he meant.

He's absolutely correct. I mentioned it earlier in the thread. Republicans should hire me. I'm better than their PR people and I am neither a PR major or out of college.

Hell, any person with a basic understanding of human nature should have known "if you take something that's usually super boring that no one cares about and suddenly signal that its something you don't want people to see than all of a sudden people are going to want to see it." I'm guessing Paul Ryan doesn't do a lot of parenting.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

STAC Goat posted:

Hell, any person with a basic understanding of human nature should have known "if you take something that's usually super boring that no one cares about and suddenly signal that its something you don't want people to see than all of a sudden people are going to want to see it." I'm guessing Paul Ryan doesn't do a lot of parenting.

We even have a term for it!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streisand_effect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Wasserman-Schulz is standing up waiting to speak. I'm guessing she's feeling like maybe she should do something in the Congress.

• Locked thread