Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

the internet makes you stupid, you say?

hmm

i dont even think the internet necessarily makes people stupid, it just allows stupid people to find each other and mobilize in some sort of jerk flock at lightning speed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

theflyingorc posted:

when Trump loses these people are absolutely going to lose their minds. He really is the last great hope for disenfranchised racists - they're literally waiting for him to take power so they can finally act out revenge fantasies on nonwhites

I can only imagine how much extra security Clinton and her team is going to end up needing as November gets closer, especially if she's never been behind in a (reputable) poll and it's October. I hope one of the first things she does after being sworn in is tell the DHS to get their asses back to work tracking right wing militias and other groups we stupidly stopped keeping tabs on because a report pointing out the far right as a bunch of dangerous crazies made the crazies sad.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
Hillary Clinton's economy speech was notable for what she didn't do

quote:

On the face of it, this was a pretty uneventful speech: Clinton didn’t break with her previous positions or announce any bold new initiatives. In an address billed as her vision for the economy, she articulated a vision of government broadly similar to that backed by President Barack Obama and within the current mainstream of the Democratic Party.

But while Clinton’s speech didn’t itself break new ground, it was more interesting — and significant — for what she did not do.

Many commentators have speculated that after locking up the nomination, Clinton would be tempted to bolt to the center to win over moderate Republicans put off by Donald Trump. Her speech today was as clear a sign as we’ve gotten that she’s not ready to do that — at least not yet.

I thought it was pretty transparently obvious that Clinton would not feel the need to pivot toward the center when faced with the sack of flaming medical waste that is Donald Trump, but it's nice to see some confirmation

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

lol at Schumer supplying the yogurt

Newman's Own what? Cause the first that comes to mind is salad dressing.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

zoux posted:

I'd say Dick Durbin wins this round.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Schumer must be on the board for Chobani, because he shills for it harder than any other New York-based company I have ever seen.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

It's like the Reps are on a camping trip in the backyard and the Senators are Mom bringing snacks. :3:

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

zoux posted:

it's craisins not craisons smdh

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010

fishmech posted:

I'd say Dick Durbin wins this round.

:rolleyes: Thanks for the craisons, Murray. No way you're gonna make Majority Leader with that kinda spread!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Schumer must be on the board for Chobani, because he shills for it harder than any other New York-based company I have ever seen.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/its-all-greek-yogurt-to-chuck-schumer/article/2532812

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747
Bernie just crashed the party :siren:

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Newman's Own makes a bunch of stuff. I bet it's cookies or crackers

lothar_
Sep 11, 2001

Don't Date Robots!

Popular Thug Drink posted:

i dont even think the internet necessarily makes people stupid, it just allows stupid people to find each other and mobilize in some sort of jerk flock at lightning speed

The Internet Makes You Stupid is the raison d'etre of this entire website. Don't believe me? Look at what the Internet did to Lindy West's troll, who she apparently couldn't help but like in real life and had pleasant relationships with the women in his life. The Internet Makes You Stupid because the Internet is a dysfunctional developing country whose shittiness users adapt to, but only become really cognizant of once they become expatriates (i.e. get off the Internet for a while) and look at it from the outside.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

emdash posted:

Newman's Own makes a bunch of stuff. I bet it's cookies or crackers

I just saw Emmanuel Cleaver chugging a bottle of creamy Italian so

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

zoux posted:

All important movements in 21st century America require snacks.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Oh hell let's just come out and say it

quote:

A candidate for Congress  is under fire for a campaign sign highlighting his hope of making “America White Again.”

The sign, which appears over Highway 411 near Benton, Tenn., was placed there by independent candidate, Rick Tyler, who is currently running for Tennessee's 3rd congressional district seat, WRCB-TV reported.

While the sign may seem racist, Tyler told the news station it wasn't meant to be.

He says the sign is a call to take America back to the "1960s, Ozzie and Harriet, Leave it to Beaver time, when there were no break-ins, no violent crime, no mass immigration."

And the highly offensive sign isn’t Tyler’s only foray into expressing his right to free speech.

According to WRCB-TV, his campaign posted another sign that has a picture of the White House surrounded by Confederate flags and a quote from Martin Luther King Jr.’s I Have A Dream speech.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Stultus Maximus posted:

Just ask those Bundy nutbars who forgot the snacks in their occupation of Malheur. Very important.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Stultus Maximus posted:

an army marches on its stomach

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Tammy Baldwin probably raided her desk for the jerky once she found out someone else was sending craisins.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Party Plane Jones posted:

Newman's Own what? Cause the first that comes to mind is salad dressing.

They make popcorn, dried fruit, pretzels and cookies too, so I'm assuming it's that.

Too bad this isn't going down in the Senate, they have a fully stocked candy desk.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hmmm I wonder what's emboldened him so

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

cool kids inc. posted:

Just ask those Bundy nutbars who forgot the snacks in their occupation of Malheur. Very important.

Let's send them dildos. Someone get a gofundme going.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
"Paul Ryan's crying in his office! You think he's gonna forget this? You don't know the Irish!"

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Rhesus Pieces posted:

They make popcorn, dried fruit, pretzels and cookies too, so I'm assuming it's that.

Too bad this isn't going down in the Senate, they have a fully stocked candy desk.
They actually make some really good spelt pretzels. I was skeptical about the whole "organic" "grain that's technically not related to wheat maaaan" "gluten free" stuff, since I'm the kind of idiot who had never heard of spelt before, but the pretzels are delicious.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Does this guy not remember the 60s, like at all? Cause everything post ~61 doesn't meet the criteria at all. 1968 alone was one hell of a year.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Stultus Maximus posted:

I know a girl in California who extremely consistently brings water and snacks to left-ish protesters. :3:

Actually, in a similar but slightly scarier story, one of my Polish language professors when she was a teenage girl did the same thing for the striking shipyard workers that helped kick off the Solidarity protests in Communist Poland. What I'm saying is, logistics are important and protesters need to eat too.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Elizabeth Warren makes me pretty drat proud to support Democrats, even if a lot of them are spineless corporatists.

It's my birthday and I'll... join a sit-in to counter gun violence if I want to!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
"Look guys I just want to take American back to the 1960s, ideally before 1964, when American was America and we didn't have all these problems from undesirables and hang rebel flags all over the White House. If you read that the wrong way then it's you who are the real racist. :hertiage:"

Nice try Kongressman but you're going to need to try harder than that if you want your state to compete with Kansas, Texas, and others for Biggest Red Shithole in America.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Party Plane Jones posted:

Does this guy not remember the 60s, like at all? Cause everything post ~64 doesn't meet the criteria at all. 1968 was one hell of a year.

most people don't remember the 60's - as soon as anyone mentions wanting to go back to the idyllic america as represeted in popular_tv_show then you know they're full of crap. the book The Way We Never Were: American Families And The Nostalgia Trap is exactly about this. basically the nuclear family idea of the 1950s was a sudden reversal of social trends that of course did not continue on, it's basically boomers getting all misty eyed about their perfect white suburban childhoods

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

DACK FAYDEN posted:

They actually make some really good spelt pretzels. I was skeptical about the whole "organic" "grain that's technically not related to wheat maaaan" "gluten free" stuff, since I'm the kind of idiot who had never heard of spelt before, but the pretzels are delicious.

How do they compare to sourdough pretzels, or honey wheat pretzels?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I enjoy that this thing has largely turned into every Democrat taking their turn poo poo talking Paul Ryan.

I'd like a camera on him.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Elizabeth Warren makes me pretty drat proud to support Democrats, even if a lot of them are spineless corporatists.

It's my birthday and I'll... join a sit-in to counter gun violence if I want to!

I mean she's just one of more than a 100 democrats doing the same so

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

oh for sure, what i'm saying is that it should be a known fact now that speaking your honest, reasonable opinion on the internet leads to a nonzero chance that someone with nothing better going on in their life might actually try to kill you for it. i had a guy call my grandmother once and called her a rotten bitch after he figured out my irl identity from some political board i used to post on where i made fun of his opinions. this isn't really new to the internet, but is a consequence of mass media (old letters to the editor are full of this stuff) but you can go from total rando to most hated man on /pol today in the span of a week and it's really dumb and it honestly makes me hate the internet and everyone who uses it

i'm not saying "oh well everyone gets death threats and they don't mean anything" i'm saying "yeah it should be common practice to never post opinions under your real name because eventually someone's going to try to burn down your house"

Stay safe, Brian Boyko. :ohdear:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/jbendery/status/745718506675646464

Hell yeah, skeleton delegation forming

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

A Winner is Jew posted:

How do they compare to sourdough pretzels, or honey wheat pretzels?
Lighter than sourdough, if that makes sense? I've never tried honey wheat, seems like it'd be a strange mixture of sweet and savory.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
i remember in the 1960s when there was no crime at all

we didn't even have police

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
I mean, the underlying bill here is hot garbage, but the political threatre is a masterclass.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

this is not in reference to trump or anything else really, but i'm pretty fatigued at articles talking about how people get death threats. it's like there are lots of passionate and unfiltered people out there as well as a lot of unhinged loons and the internet makes it super easy to get death threats so i dont even click on or pay attention to "woman crosses street, gets death threats" articles anymore
Good, let's keep reporting on it because it's a problem.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

You should stop using words you don't understand, like "corporatist".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

"Problem persists despite widespread reporting" isn't a reason to stop reporting on it.

• Locked thread