Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Last Chance posted:

yeah but in the last week or so they've been putting a badge icon even when there's no real notification despite your settings. it almost feels like a glitch

haven't seen this. guess i'm in the right a/b group. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Endless Mike posted:

idk what all these issues people have with the fb app. if you take 2 minutes to define what notifications you want it to give you, it respects those.

yeah, sure.

i have subscribed to the notifications that imply that my friends have sent me messages when actually it's because i haven't looked at facebook for a day or two.

this is something that i have done now, 7 years after i signed up on facebook.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

GameCube posted:

"actually, it's okay that my inconsistently animated clock icon drains my battery for no good reason, because i'm not a Reddit Autist MRA Neckbeard" - the cry of a wounded Apple Boy, struggling to defend his favorite telephone operating system.

Lmfao

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

GameCube posted:

"stop pointing out flaws in my favorite phone operating system in the Your Operating System is a Piece Of poo poo subforum :qq:" - the defeated Apple Boy, begging for mercy

Abahahahahahhaha

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

windows 10 > os x

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
windows 10 is so damned good and I am beyond psyched for the anniversary update

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
the ars dev preview review, no longer siracusa levels of spergery, but still somehow six pages long

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2016/06/the-macos-sierra-developer-preview-different-name-same-ol-mac/

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Shaggar posted:

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Shaggar posted:

been running the insider preview on a spare tablet and It's Good

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

infernal machines posted:

the ars dev preview review, no longer siracusa levels of spergery, but still somehow six pages long

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2016/06/the-macos-sierra-developer-preview-different-name-same-ol-mac/

I hope they get siracusa back to review the file system.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

just read http://dtrace.org/blogs/ahl/2016/06/19/apfs-part1/

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

siracusa doesn't do detailed reviews anymore. now he does an increasingly generic weekly tech news podcast with two non-personalities who cover exciting topics like "Ejecting volumes in Windows" and "The difference between Siri and Viv"

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Shaggar posted:

does it count as a new LTSB milestone?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Wheany posted:

and once when i opened fb messenger it showed a full screen notification "Some Friend is not using messenger, please ask them to use it [OK]" i.e. "please spam for us"

If you try to use Facebook.com on an android device using Chrome, as of about two days ago you can no longer read messages. As soon as you click on messages, it force-opens the Google Play Store to the messenger app lol

Android Firefox doesn't do it but I'm sure it's only a matter of time until Facebook gets around that too

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

quote:

HFS+ has been pulled in a bunch of competing directions with different forks for different devices (e.g. the iOS team created their own HFS variant, working so covertly that not even the Mac OS team knew)

this seems concerning

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

does it count as a new LTSB milestone?

idk

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

SO DEMANDING posted:

this seems concerning

this would have been before the original iphone was ever released and broadsided the industry. I would not be surprised if steve told them to fork it and go nuts to avoid bringing other teams that might leak something

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Wheany posted:

http://www.theonion.com/article/new-facebook-notifications-alert-users-when-they-n-37795 except real.

on android it shows a notification "you have x new notifications and y new messages" or something

and then it's just "someone invited you to yet another event that happens several hours away" or "a guy you don't even know posted something into a group you follow"

i prefer this one http://www.theonion.com/americanvoices/apple-opposes-bill-protecting-users-right-repair-53136

of course i learn this from the onion before yospos, because god forbid somebody point out how bad apple is in yospos

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i look forward to the Apple Boys' sputtering defense of tim's attack on our freedom.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

installed ios 10 last night. it's good.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

this would have been before the original iphone was ever released and broadsided the industry. I would not be surprised if steve told them to fork it and go nuts to avoid bringing other teams that might leak something

oh right yeah that would make more sense.

somehow i interpreted/assumed that the fork happened more recently (idk i have a cold and my brain is hosed up). if that were the case i'd be worried cuz man that sounds like straight up microsoft-grade inter-department backstabbing and mistrust.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

THC posted:

installed ios 10 last night. it's good.

does it fix the bug in maps that hides the setting to disable the garbage 3D maps in satellite view?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

GameCube posted:

i prefer this one http://www.theonion.com/americanvoices/apple-opposes-bill-protecting-users-right-repair-53136

of course i learn this from the onion before yospos, because god forbid somebody point out how bad apple is in yospos

oh, tesla does the same thing. you can only get the repair manuals for the car if you live in massachusetts, which has a state right-to-repair law, and they still cost like $1000/day for access to the online database

remember: the age of individual ownership of a product is coming to an end

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
on the one hand you should be able to repair your stuff,

on the other hand, there's this guy:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

did apple ever give a justification for the 5-lobe screws?

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

opening up their hardware is haraam

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Stymie posted:

on the one hand you should be able to repair your stuff,

on the other hand, there's this guy:

this guy is cool.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i'm that guy looking away to see if his mom heard him say "gently caress you"

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

GameCube posted:

this guy is cool.

the photographic evidence proves otherwise

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Awia posted:

opening up their hardware is haraam

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

lol at nerds being angry a company doesn't want to deal with warranty service claims after morons gently caress up DIY repairs or allow random idiots at mall kiosks to insert chinese knockoff parts and then try to make warranty claims

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

mishaq posted:

lol at nerds being angry a company doesn't want to deal with warranty service claims after morons gently caress up DIY repairs or allow random idiots at mall kiosks to insert chinese knockoff parts and then try to make warranty claims

they have to deal with that regardless, but requiring them to publish specs and make parts available would mean the repairs would be done with either real parts or parts that are up to spec as opposed to based on stolen factory specs or guesswork.

they don't want that because it would cut down on their repair and warranty income.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
also fun, the only way to buy OEM replacement parts is to become an apple certified repair center*, and pay a yearly fee to maintain that designation

once you have it, you're contractually forbidden from reselling those parts except as part of a repair you provide.

*IIRC you need at least one person on staff with up to date apple certs, at minimum

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

also fun, the only way to buy OEM replacement parts is to become an apple certified repair center*, and pay a yearly fee to maintain that designation

once you have it, you're contractually forbidden from reselling those parts except as part of a repair you provide.

*IIRC you need at least one person on staff with up to date apple certs, at minimum

well yea they're a certified repair center not a certified parts reseller duh

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i had a 2006 macbook with Random Shutdown Syndrome and took it to an apple certified repair center and the guy still had to mail it back to apple because the fix required more than one part and apple would not let apple certified repair centers do jobs that big for fear of, idk, warranty fraud or something. i was without a computer for my first month of college. should have bought a thinkpad.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Shaggar posted:

they have to deal with that regardless, but requiring them to publish specs and make parts available would mean the repairs would be done with either real parts or parts that are up to spec as opposed to based on stolen factory specs or guesswork.

they don't want that because it would cut down on their repair and warranty income.

yeah but when you get a warranty claim on water damage and the water damage indicator is wet, the technician cracking it open only wastes a few minutes

when some moron fucks up a trace on a pcb after trying to replace a part, you're wasting a lot of time dealing with stupid poo poo

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Shaggar posted:

Nah, all that would happen is people would make the knockoff parts look more genuine and warranty fraud would be higher. It's 2016 computers are black boxes because they are for normal people, stop trying to make it an exclusive club.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

no you don't understand I'm going to replace my non-socketed processor and non-socketed memory and battery with one off ebay that looks identical and claims is rated the same but generates an firey explosion in my rear end after three weeks

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

apple just doesnt want you to repair your hardware. there sure aren't any benefits to be had from miniaturization. its about doing what you're told. big brother is watching!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

• Locked thread