Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I like the change to amulets. The less poo poo I have to carry around with me "just in case," the better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

I did it, I found the niche where Gyre and Gimble are really good. Powered by Pain demonspawn casters.

I thought I had been cheated when I used acquirement twice and got two artifact vorpal quickblades, but the defensive penalties of G&G are minor early and when you have free might they can actually do pretty serious damage. For only 8 shortblade skill they are an amazing side arm for my hybrid blaster dude.

Also I'm playing a blaster dude without Vehumet and somehow succeeding because Floorgod has been kind and the fire starter book is great. I don't know how people try to run blasters with Sif or Ash or whoever. If I didn't find poison arrow early I would be having an awful time.

E: I discovered another amazing Gyre and Gimble tech. If your target is paralysed both swings will get stab bonuses and your damage per aut jumps to approximately infinity :rip: Antaeus

Poison Mushroom posted:

code:
O - the +3 war axe "Opra" (weapon) {flame, rElec rC+ MR+ Str+3}.
You get a cleave! And you get a cleave! And you get a cleave!

Edit Another game! GDA on D1. Killed by Sigmund on D2. :cripes:

The real unsung champion of best items to find on D1 is a +6 ring of protection. GDA and CPA are flashy coffins.

Darox fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jun 22, 2016

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

Pleasing Fungus is cool.

I have an octopode wizard of ash in lair 6 (forgot about the floor reduction lol)

I have a lajatang, 2 strength, 24 int and 24 dex. I'm still shredding what I don't kill with meph cloud, summons and stone arrow. I always assumed strength had a little more to do with damage (aside from it's armour penalty reduction)

only 2 remove curse scrolls so far qq :/

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Darox posted:

I'm sorry but the new amulets are awesome and rad.

I guess dismissal is there too.

It still exists, even though it doesn't ward anymore.

Did it get rarer? I used to see it all the time but I haven't seen it in over 50 games of trunk

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Nah, unrand generation chances hasn't been modified in trunk.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Internet Kraken posted:

Dismissal is more "interesting" but its far less useful and I'm pretty much never going to use it. A pip of rN+ was useful on some of my builds, while having enemies moved around outside of my control is just going to annoy me most of the time. While potentially useful, I'd rather use an amulet I know will always helps rather than gamble on dismissal.

I guess I'm just not a fan of stuff being added that's more "interesting" but functionally pretty bad compared to what it replaced.

I mean, 'jewellery that gives a point of rN' already exists. It's called the ring of negative energy resistance. We don't need to have both a ring of rN and an amulet of 'rN and a fiddly thing that rarely matters'.

You're underestimating dismissal, i think (it's one of the more powerful amulets at present, though still not "faith or "gspirit), but that's kind of beside the point: whether or not dismissal is a well-designed item, warding wasn't.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Since I mostly play melee guys, I've never tried Dismissal. It seems like in that situation it would be worse than no amulet at all. A low chance to teleport people who attack you in melee away is just letting them open up more space where they're not getting chopped in the face and possibly a fresh enemy can step into the gap.

It seems like sending angry awake enemies away from you to pull more friends in, at times you can't control and a low enough percentage chance to not be something you can rely on to save you when you need it would be pretty universally awful. What makes it so good? I would genuinely like to know so I stop dismissing (:v:) it out of hand whenever I have the misfortune of IDing one.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Warding had greater effect when killing the summoner didn't abjure his minions. And hey, it's still (maybe) present with the staff of summoning!

I do like Dismissal though. Breaking complete line of sight is pretty powerful when you're stealthy.

EDIT: ^ Teleporting a baddy away doesn't wake up other dudes or give them hints as to your location. Only that guy is going to try to find his way back to you, barring edge cases where that enemy is berserk and yelling his head off (in which case he is definitely waking things up nearby but not giving them ideas as to where to go).

Sage Grimm fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jun 22, 2016

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

quote:

LogicNinja the Skirmisher (level 5, -4/45 HPs)
Began as a Demonspawn Gladiator on June 22, 2016.
Was an Initiate of Cheibriados.
Slain by an orc warrior
... wielding a +0 flail
(18 damage)
... on level 3 of the Dungeon.
That's the third d:2-3 orc warrior in a week or so. Can I roll to disbelieve this clustering illusion?

e: and in the several subsequent games, d:3 killer bees and a d:5 two-headed ogre. Welp.

LogicNinja fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jun 22, 2016

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Dismissal is in that weird area of 'Saves my life half the time/Pisses me off the other half'. I will wear it if I haven't found a regeneration, faith, a high reflection, guardian spirit, or a good randart yet. So I pretty much just don't wear it :downs:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I'd probably wear dismissal more if it showed up on randarts? I tend to play a lot of melee/hybrids so honestly I'd usually rather wear even Gourmand than Dismissal.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Sage Grimm posted:

Warding had greater effect when killing the summoner didn't abjure his minions. And hey, it's still (maybe) present with the staff of summoning!

I do like Dismissal though. Breaking complete line of sight is pretty powerful when you're stealthy.

EDIT: ^ Teleporting a baddy away doesn't wake up other dudes or give them hints as to your location. Only that guy is going to try to find his way back to you, barring edge cases where that enemy is berserk and yelling his head off (in which case he is definitely waking things up nearby but not giving them ideas as to where to go).

Jesus I forgot about the changes to abjuration. Add that to the list of Things That Were Awful in Crawl and Are Now Gone, alongside weight, perma-corrosion and a whole bunch of other things.

Also, PleasingFungus, thank you for posting in this thread and taking the time to respond to questions and concerns. I really love Crawl and appreciate the work that goes into making it as fun as it is.

now for the love of god please fix malmutate's current state

Maha
Dec 29, 2006
sapere aude
Treat malmutators as high-value targets and spend resources to take them down fast. Then, if you get a really bad mutation, drink one of your six cMut. If you get int -1 and blurry vision 1, just live with it. As far as I can tell, the only real malmutate problem is that it apparently feels horrible for players.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Dismissal has the same problem as Distortion where the annoyance factor("that dude was almost dead and he teleported away :argh:") is more obvious than how it's helping(breaking up packs of enemies is Really Good, and once you hit a certain point, you're not really losing anything if you get to skip over a fight).

Except it has the added problem of not being as fun as Reflection or as practical as Regen/Mana Regen. And I'll admit that even though I can rationalize how Dismissal is good, I'd rather use anything else instead. :v:

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Haifisch posted:

Dismissal has the same problem as Distortion where the annoyance factor("that dude was almost dead and he teleported away :argh:") is more obvious than how it's helping(breaking up packs of enemies is Really Good, and once you hit a certain point, you're not really losing anything if you get to skip over a fight).

Except it has the added problem of not being as fun as Reflection or as practical as Regen/Mana Regen. And I'll admit that even though I can rationalize how Dismissal is good, I'd rather use anything else instead. :v:

Yeah, this is something some of the other devs have been talking about. I wouldn't be shocked if Dismissal vanishes or gets reworked for the 'fun' reasons you described; i just wouldn't expect Warding to make a return :)

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Dismissal is an excellent amulet vs the unique Hell/Pan lords.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Maha posted:

Treat malmutators as high-value targets and spend resources to take them down fast. Then, if you get a really bad mutation, drink one of your six cMut. If you get int -1 and blurry vision 1, just live with it. As far as I can tell, the only real malmutate problem is that it apparently feels horrible for players.

Good reason to remove it IMO

e: I would probably use amulet of dismissal more if its probability of triggering was based on % damage done out of your total health. It would be more likely to save you from enemies that are kicking your poo poo in.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Dismissal: A situational but useful early-game amulet. People generally don't mind its presence. Probably on the chopping block.

Malmutate: The only permanent malady left in the game, that provides almost no interesting interactions, except as a 'do you have cMut' check. Reviled by a large portion of the community. Not going anywhere.

:thumbsup:

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

Floodkiller posted:

I've always thought that Dismissal was better than nothing on blaster casters (random chance of a get out of jail free card if somebody you shouldn't be letting stand next to you manages to get next to you) and could potentially be really useful on a fast ranged caster (CeHu jumps immediately to mind, but I've never been masochistic enough to actually do one as DCSS ranged combat always struck me as under powered and tedious. Of course that doesn't resolve the issue that it's strictly worse than regen / magic regen / faith / clarity, but I think that the concept could at least be workable into something worthwhile.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Stabbers also benefit pretty well from Dismissal if things go poorly on their stab target. With their high stealth the monster tends to quickly go into wandering mode. It gives them another chance to set up for a second stab.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Maha posted:

-Orbs of fire are already high-value targets with a load of HP. You already use your resources against them because they are super strong. They still muttate you because they are too tough to die quickly for the vast majority of builds.
-Pan and certain Hell vaults contain so many mutators that expending limited resources on them would deplete those resources super quickly. Also even if you did, they can often approach from multiple angles so you get mutated anyways.
-Hell effects can just arbitrarily give you tons of glow for which there is no counterplay other than chugging cancellation, a really rare potion.
-cMut potions are pure RNG and last game I only got two of them.

Floodkiller posted:

You can just run past the Hell lords if you don't want to kill them though. Nowadays I always prefer to kill the Pan lords since running into them in later Pan levels can be really, really nasty.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Poison Mushroom posted:

Malmutate: The only permanent malady left in the game, that provides almost no interesting interactions, except as a 'do you have cMut' check. Reviled by a large portion of the community. Not going anywhere.
This isn't really fair, malmutate does make you treat the monsters that have it very differently than... basically any other monsters, and most of the community doesn't actually have strong negative feelings about it. Like PF said it's pretty much just this thread and we're not that much of crawl's userbase. I'm not a fan of it but I don't really feel like it totally ruins my games or anything, it's just sort of an annoyance.

Zaodai posted:

It seems like sending angry awake enemies away from you to pull more friends in, at times you can't control and a low enough percentage chance to not be something you can rely on to save you when you need it would be pretty universally awful. What makes it so good? I would genuinely like to know so I stop dismissing (:v:) it out of hand whenever I have the misfortune of IDing one.
If you play a not-melee guy it's considerably better(I still don't use it).

The best amulet on anyone who isn't a conjurations guy is spirit shield. if you train basically any invo/evo/spellcasting(and you should), it will function as basically Robust, except often it gives you more than +10% health, and also you're effectively regenerating faster since both MP regens faster and you're regenerating with 2 "bars" at once, HP and MP, at least until MP caps off(so it's like a portion of your healthbar regenerates more quickly and also separately from the rest). I'm not sure how that stacks up vs. Regen amulet's increased Regen speed, but even if it didn't improve how quickly you got back to full after fights I would prefer it.

e: it's definitely possible I overvalue spirit shield, however, since it doesn't drain all mana before HP so unless you're in a real bad fight you're not actually making use of all that "extra" HP.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jun 22, 2016

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Ice Elementalists: How do I deal with early undead before I've gotten any other damage source online? Specifically centaur skeletons, gently caress those guys.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
crawl communities

SA: hates malmut, loves crabs
Korea: hates ???, loves Yred
Tavern: hates food, loves ???
Wordpress: hates removals, loves mountain dwarves

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

jon joe posted:

Ice Elementalists: How do I deal with early undead before I've gotten any other damage source online? Specifically centaur skeletons, gently caress those guys.

Or, better yet, is there just a better start than Ice Elementalist for a character I want to use high level ice spells eventually?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
korea hates beogh changes, tavern loves optimal play

jon joe posted:

Walk up upstair, slowly melee them down since they can't follow you and you can rest up repeatedly?

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jun 22, 2016

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

IronicDongz posted:

most of the community doesn't actually have strong negative feelings about it. Like PF said it's pretty much just this thread and we're not that much of crawl's userbase.

I'm going to have to disagree here, this is an unfair and somewhat deflecting statement to make. I honestly think a lot of people don't treat it as a big enough issue simply because:

• They don't run into that problem or very rarely because of winrate and/or not playing extended
  • The overall message was that removing rMut would also be accompanied with changes to malmutate

Yes, maybe this thread may be the place where it's most strongly worded, but tavern as well as other places have worded their concerns before. I do agree I wouldn't go as far as saying the majority of the community hates it, of course.

I honestly think Crawl without rMut would be better and more fun with some malmutate reform. I talk about it because it'd be nice if Crawl became a better game because of it. On the other hand if this kind of discussion is fruitless I'd be more than happy to stop bringing it up altogether.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
I would like rMut back. Though if I could choose any old feature, I would like to bring back the old fullsome distillation/evaporate sludge elf transmutors. I understand why they were removed, but it was fun gameplay throwing potions at everything.

New HoMos are fun to play. Nearly as good as TrEes

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

jon joe posted:

Or, better yet, is there just a better start than Ice Elementalist for a character I want to use high level ice spells eventually?

Conjurer or wizard are both good. Summoner can make an easy transition!

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
If you were to run a server to host crawl games, could you in theory run the earliest tile version, like 0,4? I'm looking at that chart on my crawl player page and seeing how I can never get a win in the MD or OM column is killing me.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

apple posted:

I honestly think Crawl without rMut would be better and more fun with some malmutate reform. I talk about it because it'd be nice if Crawl became a better game because of it. On the other hand if this kind of discussion is fruitless I'd be more than happy to stop bringing it up altogether.
I agree, but I think sometimes people get the feeling that it's some silent majority situation where most everyone secretly hates it, which isn't really true.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Well, the opposing viewpoint is that everyone that is silent secretly loves malmmute/hates rMut, so it's not really faulty logic in the context of the conversation?

I mean, back when they were announcing rMut going away, the whole defense was "it's part of reform, just wait and see", and "it's not a big deal, you'll get used to it". Then reform wasn't made and at least some vocal portion of the population didn't get used to it, and they're just being told that it's not a problem and their opinion doesn't matter, and that no change was ever coming.

So it does seem kinda dickish, but what can you do.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what does crawl reddit love/hate

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Zaodai posted:

Well, the opposing viewpoint is that everyone that is silent secretly loves malmmute/hates rMut, so it's not really faulty logic in the context of the conversation?

I mean, back when they were announcing rMut going away, the whole defense was "it's part of reform, just wait and see", and "it's not a big deal, you'll get used to it". Then reform wasn't made and at least some vocal portion of the population didn't get used to it, and they're just being told that it's not a problem and their opinion doesn't matter, and that no change was ever coming.

So it does seem kinda dickish, but what can you do.

Just put rMut back in and make it so that it malmutes you when you remove it, bam, now it's a strategic option and I can go back to never taking rMut amulets off again. I'm playing worse by doing this but that's A-OK with me.

Then maybe take it back out when you actually reform malmutate instead of releasing a stable version where the only thing you can do is suck it up and feel bad when your character becomes a shambling pile. Why remove something before the changes happen? I seriously don't understand it unless it's because you were testing the waters of just not changing it at all and lying about it instead.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
crawl dev is a sea of lies and deceit

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

PleasingFungus posted:

Wordpress: hates removals, loves mountain dwarves

will never get the fellating of mountain dwarves when sludge elves used to exist and were pretty cool :colbert:

also why do unseen horrors exist? a monster that is basically "do you have SInv? are you in a corridor? welp" kind of sucks

e: this is a good change I think

quote:

Reduce Dismissal annoyance

It now only triggers on hits that do at least 10% of your max hp,
thus hopefully reducing cases in which it triggers on
non-threatening enemies.

also I'm glad to see more new vaults being added! is vault-making complicated? is there a tutorial anywhere?

e: vvv i'm in love :swoon:

someone awful. fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jun 22, 2016

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
same

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders
That's me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Well, this is new. Dunno if it's a scales facet or tier 2.

• Locked thread