Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
ordered a new sprag clutch and a starter drive gear for the Tuono :[

it'll be back up and running in about a week and a half's time hopefully

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Razzled posted:

Wrenched from 4-11 yesterday, what a pain in the dick it is to remove the carb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAcjomDPOIg

brap brap

Use a flathead and pull on it you pleb.

e: Changed the main fuse in the parkinglot at work. Apparently my DRZ likes to blow fuses now. Not sure why (peak charging voltage is 14.6v so idk).

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jun 18, 2016

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Marxalot posted:

Use a flathead and pull on it you pleb.

e: Changed the main fuse in the parkinglot at work. Apparently my DRZ likes to blow fuses now. Not sure why (peak charging voltage is 14.6v so idk).

Do you have a short somewhere? Is it always the same fuse?

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

builds character posted:

Do you have a short somewhere? Is it always the same fuse?

Same fuse, and it blows completely randomly so I'm guessing it's a short -somewhere-. Possibly a lovely connector somewhere. I need to go through everything and look for burnmarks/exposed wires.

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
I attempted some light off roading on my DR350. At first I tried to go down a sandy forest train with some mud here and there. I went down within a minute. Then I sort of just putted around in an old gravel pit without accident, or much excitement for that matter. But at least I got the bike and myself dirty.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Revalved forks using Racetech's kit and added fork subtanks to the rear end in a top hat.

Yeah so uhhh. The PO changed the valving in one fork. what the loving gently caress. anyway. Rides so much nicer and doesnt bottom out every time I look at the loving brake lever.

don't bitch about my stand, my nicer one is at home and welp, gently caress busing that thing with the truck.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Which kit are you running? I see the Gold kit but it's only compression, and it seems like a lot of people only do that one and not the rebound one?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
2820 fmgv. they don't make a rebound kit for this one or I would have gotten it. general consensus is that its fine enough anyway.

I was just mostly pissed about it being rock rear end hard where it shouldnt be, and malaise era american land yacht where it should be taught. Pretty excited to dick with the sub tanks too and get it dialed in over the week.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

cursedshitbox posted:

2820 fmgv. they don't make a rebound kit for this one or I would have gotten it. general consensus is that its fine enough anyway.

I was just mostly pissed about it being rock rear end hard where it shouldnt be, and malaise era american land yacht where it should be taught. Pretty excited to dick with the sub tanks too and get it dialed in over the week.

What is the purpose of the sub tanks and how do they interface with the forks? Did you have to drill holes in the forks or something?

Today I turned the bike on the left:

Into this:

And ended up with the world's most adorable I4:

:3:

And then I took the wheels and suspension and everything else off and put them in boxes.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
The gently caress is that thing? its tiny :3:

the tanks act as an air spring. essentially enables speed sensitive valving, can help with bottoming out, also allows you to run higher oil levels. its handy to me because I run two sets of wheels and this sorta lets me get away with one set of forks for both.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

cursedshitbox posted:

The gently caress is that thing? its tiny :3:

the tanks act as an air spring. essentially enables speed sensitive valving, can help with bottoming out, also allows you to run higher oil levels. its handy to me because I run two sets of wheels and this sorta lets me get away with one set of forks for both.

Have you got a diagram or something? I would like to know more.

And it's a kawasaki ZXR250 aka ZX-2R. There is hopefully just enough good parts between the two bikes to make one good bike. So far it's looking like the exhaust, foot controls, frame and swingarm are the only salvageable parts of the red bike.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Have you got a diagram or something? I would like to know more.

And it's a kawasaki ZXR250 aka ZX-2R. There is hopefully just enough good parts between the two bikes to make one good bike. So far it's looking like the exhaust, foot controls, frame and swingarm are the only salvageable parts of the red bike.

You can find quite a bit about em on google, heres something I found on thumperyap. http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/967106-sub-tanks/

Sorry I missed your other question, 30 minute window between reading and replying, d'oh. I had to drill out the air-bleed screw (had finger bleeders in it anyway) and tap the hole. being that the fucker is so close to the cap nut, I had to cut away a little of the cap nut hex too which was already destroyed by the PO, so I've no remorse for not using the mill to prettify it.

These are from enzo too and have adjusters on em to change how much air flow is allowed. I just got back from a hour run on one of my usual trails and dinked with it some. a little adjustment makes a huge difference in these old forks.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ok having read that page, my second question: what are the air bleed screw thingies for? The KTM I'm working on ATM has some clearly aftermarket doodads drilled into the fork caps that you can push and a little bit of air escapes. If this is something you need, why doesn't every bike have them?

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
Today I made, or rather modified my old, luggage brackets to fit the MT-07.

The idea is just to keep soft luggage from touching the wheel. And since I will never ride 2 up with luggage I use the passenger pegs as part of the design.

The brackets are just two flat aluminium pieces and a threaded rod that goes through the tail tidy license plate holder.

The design would also work, perhaps even better, with the stock fender. The part of the rod inside the license plate holder is wrapped with plastic and some gaffer tape to protect the powder coating.

The rod is about as wide as the passenger peg foot guards so the bags will stay parallel to the bike. The rod only takes the force of the bags pressing inwards, there are no bending forces on it.

The bags will sit on the passenger pegs so most of the load goes here. This means the bags are placed more forward than usual, but I have plenty of room for my legs and feet.

The bags sits with the bracket diagonally across. There is no risk of the bags sliding under or jumping over the bracket.

The bags clears the indicators with some margin, I can even put the bags further back if I want to, the bracket is wider the indicators.

Seen from above the bags follow the bike pretty well, the middle strap rubs a little on the plastic tail covers but I'll might tape some foam in there.

Total cost about €15 and building from scratch with a drill and hacksaw should take a couple of hours. No modification of the bike needed, but as stated above, in this case I'm using a third party license plate holder. This should work on pretty much all soft bags. I used this setup on my old bike for a couple of longer trips and it has worked flawlessly.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I need to make something like that for my tuono, I have cortech super 2.0 tail+saddlebags and they fit like absolute dogshit and I had to take them off since they kept riding up on to my seat. I've tried so many ways of fitting them, maybe I'm just a full on dummy, but there has to be a better way...

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I've got a big cam buckle luggage strap that I put through the carry handles on my soft bags, across the pillion. Works pretty well at keeping them straight.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Unpacked it, so don't want to wash it.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Ok having read that page, my second question: what are the air bleed screw thingies for? The KTM I'm working on ATM has some clearly aftermarket doodads drilled into the fork caps that you can push and a little bit of air escapes. If this is something you need, why doesn't every bike have them?

Every bike should have ABS and EFI too. :v:

Air bleeds are one thing, these are a different animal. I *had* the little thumb-bleeds on mine too.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Wash? Is this still CA?

Put a new PR4 on the rear, local shop only wanted $21 including the old tire.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

cursedshitbox posted:

Every bike should have ABS and EFI too. :v:

Air bleeds are one thing, these are a different animal. I *had* the little thumb-bleeds on mine too.

Ok so what are air bleeds for?

In other news, number two:

Yes, the wheels, brakes and the writing on the tires are entirely brush painted.

And this is what a harness contained entirely by heat shrink looks like:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

This is what mental illness looks like:

Postmortem of the blown engine:

And after that point I kept taking pictures but the nexus 5's ghastly camera design struck again so it was blinded by engine oil the entire time. The engine was 'rebuilt' by someone who was both blind and on crack; the conrods had caps that were both mismatched and backwards, one piston was backwards, various bearings incorrectly sized etc. It blows my mind that someone with the knowledge to take apart and put together an engine and, presumably, the knowledge of how an engine works, still managed to do something this tragic. Even if the idiot immediately preceding myself didn't decide to run it with no CCT and a hole in the gearbox the engine was 100% doomed from birth.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slavvy posted:

This is what mental illness looks like:

Postmortem of the blown engine:

And after that point I kept taking pictures but the nexus 5's ghastly camera design struck again so it was blinded by engine oil the entire time. The engine was 'rebuilt' by someone who was both blind and on crack; the conrods had caps that were both mismatched and backwards, one piston was backwards, various bearings incorrectly sized etc. It blows my mind that someone with the knowledge to take apart and put together an engine and, presumably, the knowledge of how an engine works, still managed to do something this tragic. Even if the idiot immediately preceding myself didn't decide to run it with no CCT and a hole in the gearbox the engine was 100% doomed from birth.

RIP.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Armor equipped: Emperor Qin's Enchanted Fork Gaiters

Fork Seal Service Life (Endurance) +10
Street Cred (Charisma) -8

You have reached Dad Bike Level III

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--

Ola posted:

Armor equipped: Emperor Qin's Enchanted Fork

Fork Seal Service Life (Endurance) +10
Street Cred (Charisma) -8

You have reached Dad Bike Level III

I always wondered why people don't use these things more often. I'd piss off all my bro friends with these on my SV. Though there is that little deflector thing on the forks...

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Especially on sport tourers. The fairings make the tubes a pain in the arse to keep clean and dry, and you can't even see them anyway so there's nothing to lose.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

They were stupid cheap. $4 shipped from China. I don't even know how that is possible.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2Pcs-37mm-Universal-Motorcycle-Rubber-Front-Fork-Cover-Gaiters-Gators-Boots-/321928480891

But they seem to be of decent quality, quite elastic. But they fitted so snug on my 37 mm forks they wouldn't slide properly. So I had to poke a tiny hole in each bellow so the vacuum wouldn't make it stick. Along with some teflon spray it worked nicely. The tiny vent holes (in addition to the two or three factory ones) won't compromise protection from rocks etc, but might give less protection against rust over winter. We'll see.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Ola posted:

They were stupid cheap. $4 shipped from China. I don't even know how that is possible.

Anything is possible with slave labour. :capitalism:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Renaissance Robot posted:

Anything is possible with slave labour. :capitalism:

And state subsidized transport. Somebody's getting hosed, but not my forks!

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

There's also a few companies that make neoprene covers with velcro. I like the look of the rubber ones, especially on an older bike like Ola's.

I finished bleeding the front brake on my DRZ. The trick was taking the master cylinder off the bar to straighten the huge loop of brake line that goes above the headlight. Got pressure back almost immediately once I did that.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Slavvy did you actually get to meet the guy who molested that bike? If you didn't have pictures I'd insist you were making it all up. It's glorious.

*edit* spelled your name wrong :v:

Gorson fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jun 23, 2016

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Gorson posted:

Slavvy did you actually get to meet the guy who molested that bike? If you didn't have pictures I'd insist you were making it all up. It's glorious.

*edit* spelled your name wrong :v:

I met the most recent guy and he was appropriately inbred but definitely didn't have the nous or the bike long enough to take an entire engine apart and rebuild it into something worse. He did, however, swap a bunch of parts from the brush painted bike onto the polished-frame bike for *reasons* which means I'm sort of doing a puzzle where I get to figure out which of any two parts gets put onto the bike and which gets sold on the internet/turned into scrap art.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH

Deeters posted:

There's also a few companies that make neoprene covers with velcro. I like the look of the rubber ones, especially on an older bike like Ola's.

Yeah, I use Dirtskins. They got velcro and I've got no problems with em. They have lasted about 30k km so far.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Jerk. Normally I'd just slip another tube in there and call it a day, but about 2hrs after I got to work the main compressor went boom. and a hour after that the portable died. sooo fuckit, towed it home to throw the dirt wheels on for now.

plus that tire is almost bald :v:

chicagobutters
Sep 7, 2015
Cleaned up the business end of the DRZ.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

New Corbin seat on the Strom, it feels ok and sits me low enough that I can flat foot the bike, but puts me back farther from the bars, so a set of 2" pivoting Rox Risers are on the way.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Pulled my Cyclops 3800 lum module and swapped with stock incan bulb.

Pretty sure it's not supposed to look like that. Cyclops I bought in April seemed really dim this week. When I looked down, the fan wasn't running. Low beam LED's on both sides went into thermal runaway and are burned.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Remember when we had the led discussion a few months back and i was all "don't buy the ones with fans" and everyone was all " I dont see why a tiny case fan exposed to the elements and dust and temperature and humidity is anything less than a stellar idea"

:colbert:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Coydog posted:

Pulled my Cyclops 3800 lum module and swapped with stock incan bulb.

Pretty sure it's not supposed to look like that. Cyclops I bought in April seemed really dim this week. When I looked down, the fan wasn't running. Low beam LED's on both sides went into thermal runaway and are burned.

I swear to god this is an "I told you so" moment.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Get in touch with cyclops, they're really good about replacements

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Remember when we had the led discussion a few months back and i was all "don't buy the ones with fans" and everyone was all " I dont see why a tiny case fan exposed to the elements and dust and temperature and humidity is anything less than a stellar idea"

:colbert:

Geirskogul posted:

I swear to god this is an "I told you so" moment.

I am amused. While I wasn't a part of that discussion, and don't necessarily disagree with your arguments, remember that this bulb has at 8-9k miles on it. It should last way longer than this, though, so your gloating is semi warranted.

M42 posted:

Get in touch with cyclops, they're really good about replacements

Good to hear, thanks! I plan to contact them on Monday, as I really do like this bulb otherwise. Their company reputation is part of why I chose it.