Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Unfunny Poster posted:

Yeah, it was pretty good in my opinion.

Edit - Here's a clip from the documentary where a representative from the Naval Academy says "you can't have the animals running the zoo" when it came to giving student athletes equal rights to the other students (eg. working in the bookstore on campus, which per NCAA is against the rules).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xY3OIkD1oHY

I'm the opposite of shocked a member of a US Mil academy would think of his students as "animals"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Unfunny Poster posted:

Yeah, it was pretty good in my opinion.

Edit - Here's a clip from the documentary where a representative from the Naval Academy says "you can't have the animals running the zoo" when it came to giving student athletes equal rights to the other students (eg. working in the bookstore on campus, which per NCAA is against the rules).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xY3OIkD1oHY

This is the field I want to get into when I get out of the military actually (NEXT loving WEEK BABY!) and have done it for about 4-5 years while serving. Camera work, editing, narration etc. Any advice?

Fake edit: I'm currently gonna go attend USD and get a degree because while I know the industry is all about networking and I don't know anyone, I figured going to college, getting a degree and that stuff will help me out with networking. Since I already have experience, the degree will "validate" it.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Paging Mr. Vermis to the idiot thread.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Paging Mr. Vermis to the idiot thread.

Who's that?

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Soulex posted:

Who's that?

Cool dude with art skills and a film degree

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

A former Marine making films? God help us.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

MrMojok posted:

A former Marine making films? God help us.

Sounds good, how many puppies does he need?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Soulex posted:

This is the field I want to get into when I get out of the military actually (NEXT loving WEEK BABY!) and have done it for about 4-5 years while serving. Camera work, editing, narration etc. Any advice?

Fake edit: I'm currently gonna go attend USD and get a degree because while I know the industry is all about networking and I don't know anyone, I figured going to college, getting a degree and that stuff will help me out with networking. Since I already have experience, the degree will "validate" it.

Funny enough but that's part of what I'm looking at with regards to a Public Affairs Officer gig, which I'm gonna guess is going to be responded to with a lot of "ewwwws" from active duty guys here.

Honestly, it's not very difficult to get the technical understanding in the actual real world. For example, if you know how to edit on say Adobe Premiere Pro CC, or any of the other suites you're pretty much golden on the skills you need. Basically if you can make a video like this without issue then you're pretty set for most stuff in terms of knowing the processes. Mostly, if you're not the producer, you'll just be told to do X or Y or whatever. It depends on the gig especially where it is in the production line as I worked mostly in post-production.

Like you said, a lot of it is simply knowing who to know in what position which is, sadly, something I've stumbled a bit in. I know a few people have gone on to work for say local news affiliates in a given area and those aren't terrible but at the same time they're also sort of soul sucking in their own way.

Edit - I will say, despite what you may think NYC and LA aren't the only go to spots for media production work. Atlanta is pretty big thanks to Time Warner & Ted Turner (Weather channel is also out there), and from what I've been hearing Austin, TX is pretty good too but I've got zero additional info on that.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jun 22, 2016

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
No body cares what you do in the military really, other than the retards.

That being said don't join the military.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Unfunny Poster posted:

Funny enough but that's part of what I'm looking at with regards to a Public Affairs Officer gig, which I'm gonna guess is going to be responded to with a lot of "ewwwws" from active duty guys here.

Honestly, it's not very difficult to get the technical understanding in the actual real world. For example, if you know how to edit on say Adobe Premiere Pro CC, or any of the other suites you're pretty much golden. Most of the time you'll have a producer sitting in with you to say "I want X, I need Y, etc." and giving you minor instructions. At least that's where I was at it probably varies from group to group. I worked mostly in post-production and on a few shoots internally but nothing crazy like "I'm getting to go to Namibia to sort out logistics for a shoot" kind of stuff.

Like you said, a lot of it is simply knowing who to know in what position which is, sadly, something I've stumbled a bit in. I know a few people have gone on to work for say local news affiliates in a given area and those aren't terrible but at the same time they're also sort of soul sucking in their own way.

FYI- the Noble route means you won't be able to even try for the school (if US military) until you are a CPT/O-3. You also won't be doing any of the stuff like editing or whatever.

I can definitely edit. I'm proficient on Adobe Premiere and Avid. I basically look at every story with a "why would I want to watch this?" And I know this means completely gently caress all in the civilian world but there are these awards called the Keith L Ware awards that happen at the lower levels and go all the way up to DA. Then to DoD which is called the Thomas Jefferson Awards. I've won something every single year I've submitted for a variety of categories like the best sports feature. I won that one a while back on the DA level which was awesome. Some people go their entire careers trying to get one, and I've got like 10. It's kinda funny because when I first got into the field, I had a dickhead NCO who showed me his and was like "one day you'll be good like me and you'll end up with one of these." all smug and poo poo. I won my first one that year and it was at a higher level and placing than his. Then he proceeded to be a complete loving oval office and ridicule me at every chance he had because he couldn't handle his soldier out performing him.

This is something that will probably happen to you if you choose to join.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
don't join

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Soulex posted:

FYI- the Noble route means you won't be able to even try for the school (if US military) until you are a CPT/O-3. You also won't be doing any of the stuff like editing or whatever.

I can definitely edit. I'm proficient on Adobe Premiere and Avid. I basically look at every story with a "why would I want to watch this?" And I know this means completely gently caress all in the civilian world but there are these awards called the Keith L Ware awards that happen at the lower levels and go all the way up to DA. Then to DoD which is called the Thomas Jefferson Awards. I've won something every single year I've submitted for a variety of categories like the best sports feature. I won that one a while back on the DA level which was awesome. Some people go their entire careers trying to get one, and I've got like 10. It's kinda funny because when I first got into the field, I had a dickhead NCO who showed me his and was like "one day you'll be good like me and you'll end up with one of these." all smug and poo poo. I won my first one that year and it was at a higher level and placing than his. Then he proceeded to be a complete loving oval office and ridicule me at every chance he had because he couldn't handle his soldier out performing him.

This is something that will probably happen to you if you choose to join.

Yeah that's a thing I'm still sort of confused on and am waiting to hear back from the local recruiter about. Ultimately, I don't care about not editing for my actual position, I've done most of my stuff not editing ranging from the menial task of ensuring metadata entry for 3000 some odd movies for a channel met the FCC CC guidelines to actually sorting out the shoot paperwork stuff for an interstitial that got aired. Not doing actual editing stuff for the job isn't going to kill me, I do random videos outside of my job and ended up on Kotaku earlier this year as a result of dumb people in a bad MMO that I made a video about.

I would definitely include those in your civilian job applications. Awards are one of the big things people like to brag about from my experience, stuff like "we won X number of Cablefax/local Emmy's/etc." is pretty much a regular thing. Check any of the major media company's sites (Viacom, Turner Jobs, FOX, etc.) since they're pretty big and would probably swoop you in if you have enough related experience. You can also look for smaller gigs like wedding photographers & videographers or smaller production hubs. There's also always the local news stations which isn't really exciting but its a job so whatever.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jun 22, 2016

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
FYI as a wing PAO you're going to be taking direction from your leadership to "Tell everyone how awesome this specific project is, and how it's totally not a waste of time," and overseeing enlisted guys actually doing the associated tasks. And you'll be doing lots of paperwork. Then more paperwork. And virtually none of the actual stuff you wanted to do when you join...which gets further away as you make rank.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Saluting a car is the dumbest loving thing I have ever heard of. Why would you salute a car? Is the person behind the wheel going to return the salute? How do you know the person behind the wheel is the person you're supposed to salute? What if it's the person's wife or kid or whatever?

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

MA-Horus posted:

Saluting a car is the dumbest loving thing I have ever heard of. Why would you salute a car? Is the person behind the wheel going to return the salute? How do you know the person behind the wheel is the person you're supposed to salute? What if it's the person's wife or kid or whatever?

by regulation you only have to salute military vehicles with the placards, anything else is just that particular officers egomania. Army anyway. Did get a briefing that I was supposed to salute a specific privately owned BMW on Ft Jackson though. Never bothered :shrug:

edit: Oh I just saw the video you were even talking about. Lol. That poo poo looks like some made up bullshit, I think only these type should count:

otherwise gently caress looking around for dumb vanity plates, kill all nobles

CHICKEN SHOES fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jun 23, 2016

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Godholio posted:

FYI as a wing PAO you're going to be taking direction from your leadership to "Tell everyone how awesome this specific project is, and how it's totally not a waste of time," and overseeing enlisted guys actually doing the associated tasks. And you'll be doing lots of paperwork. Then more paperwork. And virtually none of the actual stuff you wanted to do when you join...which gets further away as you make rank.

Thanks for the tip. I sort of guessed that not everything would be wonderful and fun, but I've had to do my fair share of "passing on a message for a thing everyone found dumb but we were forced to do anyway" stuff in my life thanks to BSA, boarding school, and being on my college's IFC.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Staff cars have gone back to having white roofs (and I've only seen them as blue sedans) so they do stand out if you pay attention to traffic at all. But the placard on the front is only supposed to be used by the actual commanding general or wing commander (not sure anyone else gets them). If a wife is driving it, call the FWA line. If some NCO is driving it, it shouldn't have the placard (if it is, call the wing exec and get him reamed). No placard, no salute.

And yes, the VIP is supposed to return the salute.

Edit: V It's specifically for official business only.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jun 23, 2016

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I didn't even think anyone driving around with placards was actually doing the driving themselves and had some filthy enlisted or aid de camp or whatever actually doing the work.

If its just the dude driving to the commissary and not for "official business" then gently caress that bullshit right in the rear end

Air Force must be different because I've never even heard of giving a poo poo about some TMP vehicle driving around, specific staff car color schemes or anything. Different world.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Soulex posted:

If you're making some stuff people will like, you'll get word of mouth networking going that way.

In high school I was working at a news station, so I had access to editing gear. A guy I know when snowboarding and shot a bunch of stuff and asked me to edit a video together for him. I guess I did a decent enough job because then other people wanted stuff done.

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

Air Force must be different because I've never even heard of giving a poo poo about some TMP vehicle driving around, specific staff car color schemes or anything. Different world.

Someone said we should do it if we're on a marine base but I never did. Other than that, we never did.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Old timey tradition.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Edit: gently caress.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Godholio posted:

Edit: gently caress.

I spent a lot of time on Fairchild in the past few years, because its pretty close to where I was recruiting, so we used the ed center for the company training events. I'm sure we were all viewed as loving heathens ignoring whatever USAF poo poo is. Not that USAF policies are bad just different. They're probably used to it though with a big Army Reserve Center there. I always wondered what the kids walking around with cords on their uniforms were. Someone told me they were like SHARP representatives or mental health friends or something IDK? I don't know but they were always like E3s or something. The one time I ate at the DFAC I walked around with a tray looking for where I was supposed to return it to the dishwashers before I was politely corrected to leave it on the table.

WEIRD poo poo MAN.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I've never been to a DFAC where you didn't bus your own poo poo. Teal ropes are a loving joke, yeah it's some kind of SARC-related stuff.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

There's also red/yellow/green for junior leadership billets, white for chaplain's assistants, black for drill team, and a navy blue one I only ever saw e-4s wearing and never bothered asking about.

I probably know more air force minutia than I do my own service at this point.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Never be a rope.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Thought about being a rope when I first got to tech school. Then I realized that they were all tools, and it would mean forfeiting what little free time I had.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
for us non USAF what do the duty entails that its screwing your free time and you're a huge dork etc

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

for us non USAF what do the duty entails that its screwing your free time and you're a huge dork etc
One has to be around to supervise CQ at all times on the weekends. So that's 4 12-hour shifts, or 6 on down Friday weeks. Our squadron had two dorms so double the chance you lose time on the weekend. Don't remember how many of them there were. Then there was a bunch of other bullshit they might want you to "volunteer" for every once in a while.

The kind of people who actually went through with it were usually the worst sort of people to be in leadership positions. All wanted to be TIs, etc. One time when I had CQ duty one of them, not a bad guy just kind of a dweeb, gave me a talking to about how I was conducting my exterior security sweep. I wasn't far enough away from the building, and not doing a good enough job making sure to look at all the windows on the third floor. As far as I was concerned if someone managed to rappel out of their room without breaking their neck, and later sneak back in without beibg detected, then good for them.

There was also a pretty pathetic class of unofficial leaders for each of the wings of the dorm. They didn't get a rope or anything, they just thought they were important. They also got to choose their successor so it usually went to one of their dumbass friends. One of mine stole someone else's car, and went AWOL during a hurricane. Also he was like 25 and liked to act like he was poo poo hot, and younger people were the cause of all problems in existence. Now the Gip position is don't enlist period, but at least the 18-20 year olds had the luck to get it over early, instead of a few years down the line when they don't have a choice because mommy and daddy won't let their failson rear end live in the basement anymore.

Information is 8 years out of date but you get the idea.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jun 23, 2016

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Organizing fundraisers (ie sending mass emails every 4 hours about a breakfast burrito sale in 3 weeks), lording over your peers as a wannabe NCO, "professional" flag raisers/lowerers, etc.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Also my new supervisor just recently got back from Keesler. Apparently there's A LOT of Bronys in the pipeline now. Allegedly they have some sort of club or something.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
kill all bronies. especially ones in the military.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
that all sounds retarded as poo poo and has lowered my respect of the USAF considerably.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's terrifying.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Unfunny Poster posted:

That's terrifying.

dude I hate the army, I did 12 years and lost my mind , and even reading about this poo poo makes me grateful I wasn't in the USAF. Consider your options if you must join.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Things get quite a bit better once you get out of that poo poo, at least if you go someplace that isn't totally retarded like the guard.

AETC is just a stupid frothy mix of poor leadership, inferiority complexes, dumb kids, dumb 20-somethings, arbitrary rules, sham marriages, etc, etc, etc.

I'm interviewing for an internship that would have me travelling all over the place. If I was even in the general area I'd run down there for an chance to get a look at the misery from the outside.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Everything I hear about the USAF makes me think there's only one acceptable response to their personnel management:

Guys, I'm concerned.

Lazy Reservist
Nov 30, 2005

FUBIJAR

Mike-o posted:

kill all bronies. especially ones in the military.

You realize comm and intel would be non functioning at that point, right?

Fake edit: NM

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
I was always jealous of the air force dudes because they could get housing in hawaii as an e-3.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

dude I hate the army, I did 12 years and lost my mind , and even reading about this poo poo makes me grateful I wasn't in the USAF. Consider your options if you must join.

My brother did 7 years in the Army. He did some jokey poo poo after he got out with putting up a bunch of Twilight and Brony stuff in my room when we lived together in college. It was made worse by the fact I was out of the country for 3 months when he posted all the photos so it just sat there until I got back. :smith:

As for me, I'm looking at USAF because I am honestly interested in it over the other branches but that could just be my dumbness and naivety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Unfunny Poster posted:

My brother did 7 years in the Army. He did some jokey poo poo after he got out with putting up a bunch of Twilight and Brony stuff in my room when we lived together in college. It was made worse by the fact I was out of the country for 3 months when he posted all the photos so it just sat there until I got back. :smith:

As for me, I'm looking at USAF because I am honestly interested in it over the other branches but that could just be my dumbness and naivety.

shop around, don't commit to anything. If you must join at least talk to the other branches. They're all gonna pump you full of dumb bullshit. At least for the Army I can try to help you through the bullshit because I know what dumb poo poo recruiters say, I did a lot of it personally. I'm sure there are other dudes who can do the same for each branch. It's a huge commitment and its not always bad, but a lot of times is garbage and you're dealing with VA and stuff. IDK. I sometimes am thankful for the army but I also get mad at myself for ever joining because I know I just hosed up everything about myself too.