Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
This new laptop is loving baller (Dell XPS 13). The keyboard is made of real carbon fibre :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I guess every ounce counts. Those keycaps are unsprung weight, you know.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

MustardFacial posted:

This new laptop is loving baller (Dell XPS 13). The keyboard is made of real carbon fibre :swoon:

Dell Precision or GTFO. :colbert:

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Does dell make good computers now?

I guess I shouldn't complain. My business class latitude d600 is still alive and kicking.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

I have bought a couple of Alienware desktops from them and no complaints.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

leica posted:

Also the amount of people at the Cavs parade in Cleveland is mind boggling, don't these people have jobs?

I think a lot of businesses shut down for the day. If not, there's a ton of people that took today off. My company is currently live streaming the parade so people can watch.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Are they having a parade on the white side of town just for whites and a parade on the black side of town just for "them?"

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

leica posted:

Also the amount of people at the Cavs parade in Cleveland is mind boggling, don't these people have jobs?

Today might as well be a holiday for NE Ohio - for most Cleveland fans the prospect of winning a national championship was a pipe dream. The last time a Cleveland team won one was in the pre-superbowl era (Browns in '64.) Even in a fantasy movie the best anyone ever thought we could do was win the pennant (Major Leauge), and we've come so close so many times only to fall flat at the very last second - Red Right 88, The Drive, The Fumble, The Shot, the 9th inning collapse in the '97 world series (lead the game by 1 run and at one point were two outs away from winning) - to say nothing of Modell moving the Browns to Baltimore or James leaving for Miami. I can remember when the Indians went to the series in '95 most people didn't even care that we lost - just making it that far was enough.

If you want a good perspective on why this is such a big deal for Cleveland I'd suggest watching Believeland (ESPN 30 for 30) on Netflix.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

leica posted:

The wheels look really good, and I'm jealous you guys get the three door Fiestas. You probably get 3 door Mazda 2's too don't you, wtf US market.

Agreed, the 3 door Fiesta ST looks perfect.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

SCA Enthusiast posted:

Does dell make good computers now?

I guess I shouldn't complain. My business class latitude d600 is still alive and kicking.

Only their Buisiness/Enterprise level stuff, specifically the higher end Mobile Workstations.

Some of the Alienware stuff is tolerable, but less maintenance friendly.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

CommieGIR posted:

Only their Buisiness/Enterprise level stuff, specifically the higher end Mobile Workstations.

Some of the Alienware stuff is tolerable, but less maintenance friendly.

Disagree. Replacing the 4k screen on my Alienware 17 R3 took all of 10 minutes, and that was taking it easy. Everything short of motherboard change is a very simple / straightforward event.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

leica posted:

Every single joke response I could think of to respond to this would sound incredibly racist, so...

Hell, I suppose someone somewhere will infer that what I just wrote is racist so there's that.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

meatpimp posted:

Disagree. Replacing the 4k screen on my Alienware 17 R3 took all of 10 minutes, and that was taking it easy. Everything short of motherboard change is a very simple / straightforward event.

Screens are small fry. I'm talking CPUs and Graphics cards.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The official number so far is 1.3 million people :stare:

I remember going to the Tampa Bay Bucs parade when they won the superbowl and it was a joke in comparison.

[e] that number can't be right, it sounds ridiculous

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

leica posted:

That just shows desperation for business on his part and it's pretty sad to put your employees in that position actually. When you're so desperate you're willing to let customers verbally abuse your employees for no reason, you might as well accept that you and your business is horrible.

Those kinds of customers are never worth the effort anyway. Their sole goal is to get free/discounted service by bitching, and they will never be satisfied.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Geoj posted:

Today might as well be a holiday for NE Ohio - for most Cleveland fans the prospect of winning a national championship was a pipe dream. The last time a Cleveland team won one was in the pre-superbowl era (Browns in '64.) Even in a fantasy movie the best anyone ever thought we could do was win the pennant (Major Leauge), and we've come so close so many times only to fall flat at the very last second - Red Right 88, The Drive, The Fumble, The Shot, the 9th inning collapse in the '97 world series (lead the game by 1 run and at one point were two outs away from winning) - to say nothing of Modell moving the Browns to Baltimore or James leaving for Miami. I can remember when the Indians went to the series in '95 most people didn't even care that we lost - just making it that far was enough.

If you want a good perspective on why this is such a big deal for Cleveland I'd suggest watching Believeland (ESPN 30 for 30) on Netflix.

Don't forget the NBA finals in 2007 or how the Indians almost made the world series that same year.

Believeland is really good. They're redoing the ending and they'll be airing the new version June 30th.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

CommieGIR posted:

Dell Precision or GTFO. :colbert:

No. You GTFO :colbert:

:jerkbag:

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
OK, really smart people of SA.

Trying to install a new exterior light here, buuuuut it appears this is basically a switch outlet box rather than an actual light fixture outlet box. Every light that I have looked at basically requires this to be used to mount the light:

Basically, I need this in place of the first picture but the only option of have is to chisel the loving mortar and brick??

I know I'm probably over thinking this and there's a simple solution that I'm just overlooking.

edit: the maybe simple thing to do is to simply mount the last image to the top one, if i can get the holes to line up, but they don't. So, maybe drill new holes? Then it won't be flush with the brick.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Tide posted:

Trying to install a new exterior light here, buuuuut it appears this is basically a switch outlet box rather than an actual light fixture outlet box. Every light that I have looked at basically requires this to be used to mount the light:

Basically, I need this in place of the first picture but the only option of have is to chisel the loving mortar and brick??

I know I'm probably over thinking this and there's a simple solution that I'm just overlooking.

edit: the maybe simple thing to do is to simply mount the last image to the top one, if i can get the holes to line up, but they don't. So, maybe drill new holes? Then it won't be flush with the brick.
That's what brick-colored weather sealant is for :buddy:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The 2 holes in the innermost ring of that adapter should line up with the 2 holes in your outlet box, no?

You won't be able to hang 300lbs off it, but it should be enough to hold a light.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Tide posted:

How big are they in comparison? You might want to remove the rectangular box and sink the round one in in its place.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Cakefool posted:

How big are they in comparison? You might want to remove the rectangular box and sink the round one in in its place.

Wouldn't work.

Powershift posted:

The 2 holes in the innermost ring of that adapter should line up with the 2 holes in your outlet box, no?

You won't be able to hang 300lbs off it, but it should be enough to hold a light.

Nope. Does not line up. That's basically the problem.

The ring needs to mount rotated 45 degrees so that the two mounting screws that hold the light on can be level. That's where the octagonal shaped outlet box comes in. And the holes in the octagonal shaped outlet box are approx 1 inch too narrow.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Take one picture with both in so we can see what the issue is. Also I'm still waiting on that hottie selfie.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Just mount that ring right over the box with a few tapcons.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

leica posted:

this

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

leica posted:

For a few moments there I thought you said tampons

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

For a few moments there I thought you said tampons
Well, you want to absorb any moisture that gets in there.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

This guy is hosed isn't it

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, that's decently hosed.

And holy crap, I found a video on youtube by a guy that ran into the same problem as me. Video was 3 years old, so I figured what the hell...I'll post a comment and see if he responds. And he actually responded!

This is what I need:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Westingh..._-204836016-_-N

Booyah

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
I'd call that "fuckered" personally.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Tusen Takk posted:

How long did you let that guy go? You loving heathen. (pack it with grease and put a new boot on it, see if that works)

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

meatpimp posted:

How long did you let that guy go? You loving heathen. (pack it with grease and put a new boot on it, see if that works)

Nah that joint is dinked. The boot's being prolapsed from the inside by a broken finger on the tulip.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

MustardFacial posted:

Oh dear. Sorry to see you have one of those

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tusen Takk posted:

Yeah, that's done.

You can try your luck with one of those fit-in-situ split gaiter kits if you're tight for an opportunity to do it properly, but they're not fantastic. And there may be dirt got in there, or the CV having been affected by lack of grease, or otherwise be fuckerooed, as SSS implies.

Slapping in a new shaft assembly is the fastest and guaranteed-to-work option, cleaning it all out and regreasing with a new gaiter is cheap and may be fine if it's not shagged. But you wouldn't find out until you already had it apart.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Unfortunately they don't make that half shaft anymore since it was only on the 2004 and welp gently caress

What happens if I leave it as is? Obviously with the intention of fixing it but at least until I find a replacement off a junker or something

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
The CV properly snaps and your open diff leaves you stranded is what :v:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Okay welp good news the half shaft is separate from the cv joint and they're only $60 so thank the lord

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
There are shedloads of Ion Redline CVs on RockAuto, I was gonna say.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

That was way easier than I thought and now a noise that I recently noticed that occurs when my foot isn't on the throttle as I slow down isn't there so that's cool and good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Oh so I interviewed with a Korean automotive supplier that is super huge (#6)today. I think it went well, I think I had good answers for all of their questions and everything that I kind of struggled with (design documentation, strategies and archetypes) can be easily learned, while I did well with their algorithms and programming language questions (what's the major difference between Java and c++, why did you do your android project this way, etc)

I think it could go either way but I will say I didn't walk out of it feeling like I was a loving moron

• Locked thread