Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

Kuiperdolin posted:

Where do ISIS/ the Army/ every tinpot warlord over the world and in history find them? It's not exactly the theory's weakest point.

There's a difference between getting some uneducated/fanatical dude and going 'fight for me, and you'll get money and power' than getting a trained guy and going 'um yeah, we need you to get yourself killed, and put on the media as a crazed murderer because we need more department funding, sorry dude'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

BasicFunk posted:

They needed extra security for Straight Outta Compton just in case one of us went crazy hearing all that gangsta rap music.

In case anyone thought that was a joke, it wasn't.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/movie-studio-offers-to-pay-for-security-at-compton-screenings-1439417219

http://www.wsj.com/articles/movie-studio-offers-to-pay-for-security-at-compton-screenings-1439417219

I never used Funnyjunk since imgur just lets you host the picture and move on with your day, has it always been somehow worse as far as comments and community?

chitoryu12 posted:

Idiots on Social Media: False Flaggizle

And like every conspiracy theory, it relies on being able to keep anywhere from dozens to thousands of people quiet (depending on the scale of the fictional operation), not one of whom mysteriously disappears or reveals the whole affair.

After reading Ayn Rand and accepting 'Okay, so this guy builds a machine that creates infinite electricity/power/whatever' you can believe anything!

RareAcumen has a new favorite as of 22:50 on Jun 22, 2016

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I don't quite buy into the "they're scared of chaos and need comfort" angle--it seems far more likely that they want to feel special for seeing things the sheeple are oblivious to and enjoy playing the victim when they can blame the establishment or whoever for things not working out for them.

For Sandy Hook especially, the systematic murder of elementary school children is pretty horrible to imagine. I had a hard time listening to the accounts of Orlando victims who remember hearing bullets hitting flesh and bone around them after the music was turned off, or being in the bathroom trapped and waiting for the shooter to come and kill them. It's much less uncomfortable to think that none of that actually happened and that it's all pretend.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

RareAcumen posted:

I never used Funnyjunk since imgur just lets you host the picture and move on with your day, has it always been somehow worse as far as comments and community?

Imgur is super racist and sexist though and moderation does not care one bit about it.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis

OldMemes posted:

There's a difference between getting some uneducated/fanatical dude and going 'fight for me, and you'll get money and power' than getting a trained guy and going 'um yeah, we need you to get yourself killed, and put on the media as a crazed murderer because we need more department funding, sorry dude'.

Conspiracy theorists already have an answer to this dilemma. CIA mind control/MKULTRA. The CIA's interrogation/mind control project that started in the 50's and ended in the 60's. The fact that MKULTRA actually was an actual project run by the CIA gives them all the proof they need.

That70sHeidi
Aug 16, 2009

Admiral Joeslop posted:

They're all actors, no one was actually killed. Then the government hosed up and reused an actress from Sandy Hook in another mass shooting a few months later and the whole thing was blown open.

Wait... what?? I missed that conspiracy. Share.

This is so wtf I can't even find a beginning point to start replying.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

That70sHeidi posted:

Well, for starters, a lot of those people were actually killed by gunshots. After the cult shot a bunch of other people.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Fathis Munk posted:

Imgur is super racist and sexist though and moderation does not care one bit about it.

Yes, I know that. I was actually posting about that a lot in the Imgur thread before it got shut down for good. I was asking about FunnyJunk since Imgur at least has people that disagree with the dumber pictures but FJ doesn't seem to even have that.

That70sHeidi posted:

First of all it was cyanide-laced Grape-flavored Kool-Aid so let's get our facts straight here. Orange committed no crimes at all and I'm disgusted that you would try to frame it like this.

edit: Actually, it was Flavor-Aid, I just glossed over this fact because I'd never heard of it.

RareAcumen has a new favorite as of 00:17 on Jun 23, 2016

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Wasn't it Flavor-Aid, anyway?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

And, presumably, many more were forced to drink at gunpoint. Plus, well, Jones practically blew his own head off if I'm remembering right.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

cptn_dr posted:

Wasn't it Flavor-Aid, anyway?

Yeah, generally you should lead with this

I'm serious--it's so trivial and such an abrupt turn from the germane point it throws people off balance; and yet it immediately shows you know more about the incident than the other person

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Data Graham posted:

Yeah, generally you should lead with this

I'm serious--it's so trivial and such an abrupt turn from the germane point it throws people off balance; and yet it immediately shows you know more about the incident than the other person

Seems to have been a mix of both.

quote:

Later-released Temple films show Jones opening a storage container full of Kool-Aid in large quantities. However, empty packets of grape Flavor Aid found on the scene show that this is what was used to mix the solution along with a sedative.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Regalingualius posted:

And, presumably, many more were forced to drink at gunpoint. Plus, well, Jones practically blew his own head off if I'm remembering right.

Technically yes although he had a lethal amount of barbiturates in his system at the time as well.

There were some gunshot deaths among the Jonestown people but most drank up. The vast majority of those people truly believed everything Jim told them. Additionally, he held mass suicide practice runs without telling participants if it was poison or not. When they didn't die he simply told them they passed their loyalty test. There's evidence to suggest a good chunk of those people didn't realize it was actually go time until a few hundred started dropping dead. If I remember correctly there wasn't a lot of proper autopsies done on the residents other than Jones himself and some of his inner circle so to speak.

e: the last 45 minutes of these people's lives captured on audio https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMrFCwYAZxE

super morbid but interesting how much people latched on to this lunatic's charisma. People literally cheering and clapping as they drank the koolaid.

Maker Of Shoes has a new favorite as of 00:23 on Jun 23, 2016

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

OldMemes posted:

where is the government finding these people who are willing to get themselves killed to advance the government's plan?

I think they tend to get most of them out of basic training, historically.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
All these conspiracy theories assume far more competence from the CIA than it has actually displayed over its terrifying, yet hilarious history

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Maker Of Shoes posted:

e: the last 45 minutes of these people's lives captured on audio https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMrFCwYAZxE

super morbid but interesting how much people latched on to this lunatic's charisma. People literally cheering and clapping as they drank the koolaid.

Got bored and read some comments.

:stare:

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

That70sHeidi posted:

Yea but Kool-Aid doesn't kill people, people kill people. :v:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Kook-Aid is a conspiracy perpetrated by the CIA to give everyone diabetes so Big Pharma can make more money treating the disease and also it keeps the population under control by turning everyone into amputees when their feet fall off.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

That70sHeidi posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Hook_Elementary_School_shooting_conspiracy_theories?wprov=sfla1

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Kit Walker posted:

If an organization is secretly behind the formation of a social structure that hundreds of millions of people mutually benefit from and agree is a good thing, then maybe it doesn't really matter how it started?

We're talking about the EU, though.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

That70sHeidi posted:

I don't think anyone is arguing thta gun control will stop murders, or even mass murders 100%.

But it will reduce the numbers of incidents, and reduce the number of people able to be easily killed in said incidents.

Surely that is a good thing?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

BrigadierSensible posted:

I don't think anyone is arguing thta gun control will stop murders, or even mass murders 100%.

But it will reduce the numbers of incidents, and reduce the number of people able to be easily killed in said incidents.

Surely that is a good thing?

I had one where the guy cited the gun deaths and knocked half off the top because they were suicides, accidents, or took place in "high crime areas."

Like, what, those don't count when discussing guns as a public health issue. :wtc:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Suicides probsbly shouldn't count but these others do

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I suppose, but my argument is always that guns make it easy to kill people.

Sure people will always find a way to kill someone/themselves if they really want to, but we should be making it as difficult as possible, and not handing them things that are literally designed to make it as easy to kill multiple people at a time.

BrigadierSensible has a new favorite as of 03:20 on Jun 23, 2016

HappyKitty
Jul 11, 2005

goose fleet posted:

All these conspiracy theories assume far more competence from the CIA than it has actually displayed over its terrifying, yet hilarious history

CIA "incompetence" is a false flag in itself :tinfoil:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

oldpainless posted:

100% suicides should count. Absolutely suicides should count.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

oldpainless posted:

There's evidence that suicidal people tend to be very successful at killing themselves when there's a gun in the house. And people who use other methods and fail to kill themselves will often regret it and not attempt suicide again, so getting rid of guns would absolutely have an impact on the total number of suicides.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Yeah, as someone who has clinical depression and has attempted before, I would very much like it to be as difficult as possible for people with depression to have access to guns.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

oldpainless posted:

Suicides probsbly shouldn't count

Why? Are suicides by gun somehow different from...? I don't even know what.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

PYF is an online community where involuntarily celibate males can vent and express their feelings and frustrations without fear of getting banned. The moderators of other online communities for incels (e.g. Let's Play) are often not so welcoming to the very people they are supposed to cater to. This is largely a free speech forum, but with some limits to what we tolerate.

Rules

2) No encouraging or inciting violence, or other illegal activities such as rape. But of course it is ok to say, for example, that rape should have a lighter punishment or even that it should be legalized and that slutty women deserve rape.

5) Please spare us posts on therapy/psychiatry. It doesn't work for our problem and never will, for reasons explained on this forum.

6) No crazy talk.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Lottery of Babylon posted:

PYF is an online community where involuntarily celibate males can vent and express their feelings and frustrations without fear of getting banned. The moderators of other online communities for incels (e.g. Let's Play) are often not so welcoming to the very people they are supposed to cater to. This is largely a free speech forum, but with some limits to what we tolerate.

Rules

2) No encouraging or inciting violence, or other illegal activities such as rape. But of course it is ok to say, for example, that rape should have a lighter punishment or even that it should be legalized and that slutty women deserve rape.

5) Please spare us posts on therapy/psychiatry. It doesn't work for our problem and never will, for reasons explained on this forum.

6) No crazy talk.

Aw, too bad John Pop never found us, he could have saved a couple hundred bucks.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Rules

6) No crazy talk.

Oh god im incel time to pack it in

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

Deceitful Penguin posted:

They are victims of the human ability to see and recognize patterns, even when they aren't really there. The fact that conspiracy theories, perversely enough, are very comforting to them. It means that the world has order and sense behind it, even if it is malevolent.

The idea that things simply happen, that the world is simply a chaotic mess with no rhyme nor reason behind it or that it's caused by complex systems beyond their comprehension is what they don't want to confront, because it is far more frightening to them than the idea that the evil elites, whoever they are, are behind it.

The common psychological issue that is found among conspiracy theorists is trust issues. The insane poo poo they come up with is more a way to explain to themselfs why they can't deal with authority than a way to come to terms with an unjust world.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

lol at the maths

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Living the kind of life where you just get to yuk it up with a camel daily does seem like it'd be awesome, not gonna lie.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Discovered by a teacher!

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

What if I do 59 seconds of anger?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I was Jim Jones' attorney
I said, 'When did you find out that he was not the man of God that he was billed to be?'
He said, 'When I visited Jonestown, when I walked in his so-called church'
He said, 'There was no bible, there were no holy pictures, there was no cross
Nothing
And I looked him right in the eye and I said to him
"Why is it there's no bible, and there's no place to pray?"
He said, "We don't need that anymore"'

I'm going to reveal something to you that possibly the public does not know
Sir Lionel Luckhoo told me that the coroner was a close personal friend of his
And he said that he examined every one of the bodies
This was not a mass-suicide like the world was brainwashed into thinking
They were injected with a poison

Adbot