Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

hemophilia posted:

Life kept me from buying Witcher 3 as quickly as I'd have liked. I had not finished the game when Fallout 4 came out, which I did get immediately. The difference in animation quality was so jarring, I shelved fallout 4 for a long time because it ran worse than the witcher 3 does, looked worse, and was substantially less engaging than TW3 was for me. I know its one of those things nobody notices unless it's pointed out, but when I've been hyped up about my favorite series and i just have to put it down because i just played a far more gorgeous and immersive post-apocalyptic game, you notice those things.

What it comes down to for me is you can point to a lot of things in F4 that are truly half-assed. Witcher 3 is the opposite where CDPR clearly invested a ton of effort and care. The Polish polish is impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah that blade oil one is hella dank.

Anyone else annoyed at skills that only take 2 points this guaranteeing you'll waste points in something you'll never equip to get the next unlock?

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
So I got the best ending in Blood and Wine. What happens to Syanna? They reconcile and hug and.... then what? Was she imprisoned? Pardoned? Somewhere at the palace?

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

So uh... how the gently caress am I supposed to fight the Djinn? This thing literally one-shots me.

vvv Edit: ooh, yes, much better like this. I forgot that was even a thing I had enabled... all other enemies scaled well, but this was just plain OP with scaling on.

Toiwat fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jun 23, 2016

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Toiwat posted:

So uh... how the gently caress am I supposed to fight the Djinn? This thing literally one-shots me.

Turn off level scaling for that fight. It's ridiculous otherwise

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Lareine posted:

So I got the best ending in Blood and Wine. What happens to Syanna? They reconcile and hug and.... then what? Was she imprisoned? Pardoned? Somewhere at the palace?

I think it's assumed she gets imprisoned but like probably in a comfy room with guards around it. No way would Henrietta let Syanna die for her crimes in that ending and I doubt she'd just get thrown into a regular prison cell.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
I came across this recipe when I started B&W and it stuck in my mind.

The recipe is obviously vague, and I suspect it's missing abut half the instructions, but googling a bunch of French crayfish recipes I have a decent idea what it's trying to say.

I just finished making it, and while it's not too pretty in a picture, it is amazing tasting? I want to make the other recipes from Toussaint too, and those mostly appear to be complete recipes. I probably could work on my presentation but whatever.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Alt Quen is legit broken as hel

Macaluso posted:

I think it's assumed she gets imprisoned but like probably in a comfy room with guards around it. No way would Henrietta let Syanna die for her crimes in that ending and I doubt she'd just get thrown into a regular prison cell.

You can get confirmation of this if Dandelion is the one to pay you a visit afterwards.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Arglebargle III posted:

Yeah that blade oil one is hella dank.

Anyone else annoyed at skills that only take 2 points this guaranteeing you'll waste points in something you'll never equip to get the next unlock?

Yeah I would recommend every build take three Alchemy abilities: Acquired Tolerance to be able to use several decoctions at once, and the blade oil abilities that give poison damage and reduce damage taken from that enemy type. You should always be oilin' and the percentage HP damage and damage reduction scale very well throughout the game.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

Macaluso posted:

What irks me is that the duchess has nothing to say about it. About anything really. Nothing about me killing the beast, reconciling with her sister, nothing. Also, Damian's face went back to the way it was before the attack.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Moose-Alini posted:

The recipe is obviously vague, and I suspect it's missing abut half the instructions, but googling a bunch of French crayfish recipes I have a decent idea what it's trying to say.

I just finished making it, and while it's not too pretty in a picture, it is amazing tasting? I want to make the other recipes from Toussaint too, and those mostly appear to be complete recipes. I probably could work on my presentation but whatever.

This is awesome

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Lareine posted:

What irks me is that the duchess has nothing to say about it. About anything really. Nothing about me killing the beast, reconciling with her sister, nothing. Also, Damian's face went back to the way it was before the attack.

:confused: Did your game bug out maybe? She absolutely said in front of everyone that Syanna was responsible for the murders and poo poo, but she also said something about "my heart cannot allow her to be put to death. What do you say Witcher" and then I got to say what I thought about it, and then the two of them hugged and then it's just kind of assumed she got sent to jail but everyone lived (besides Detlaff). As for Damian, his face was all hosed up the entire time after the attack for me. I was even able to comment on it before the trial, and it was there the whole time during the trial. Also the beast killing and all that happens before the trial I believe, you're given a medal and everything. And 5000 big ones.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

Macaluso posted:

:confused: Did your game bug out maybe? She absolutely said in front of everyone that Syanna was responsible for the murders and poo poo, but she also said something about "my heart cannot allow her to be put to death. What do you say Witcher" and then I got to say what I thought about it, and then the two of them hugged and then it's just kind of assumed she got sent to jail but everyone lived (besides Detlaff). As for Damian, his face was all hosed up the entire time after the attack for me. I was even able to comment on it before the trial, and it was there the whole time during the trial. Also the beast killing and all that happens before the trial I believe, you're given a medal and everything. And 5000 big ones.

I meant after all of that. If you go to the Palace after the ending and talk to the Duchess, you get nothing new to talk about and Damian's model is still the old one.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

This is awesome

I would definitely make a stop at the Cockatrice for another bowl were I in Toussaint.

I guess if noble's bodies didn't happen to have ruined the catch that day...

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Moose-Alini posted:

Crawdad chowder sounds delicious. Thank you for being turbonerd enough to go for it. Where do you live where they're affordable?

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

Moose-Alini posted:

I would definitely make a stop at the Cockatrice for another bowl were I in Toussaint.

I guess if noble's bodies didn't happen to have ruined the catch that day...

I'd tell you to do the hare pate next but I don't know where you'd get the rabbit.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Moose-Alini posted:

That looks loving delicious.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Annual Prophet posted:

It's not a sure thing and there are only AFAIK two other Ekimmaras, at least one of which is on a side quest that can expire.*

It's frustrating because you can wind up with no way to get the decoction. I was hoping they'd add one in B&W given the theme, but I didn't run into one before finishing the expansion.

*e: I think the second of the two other Ekimmaras is part of a separate side quest where if you choose the wrong dialog option you won't run into it.

Well, I only played the early game twice, so it's not a complete sample... that said, both times in the same cave there was an Ekimmara guarding some chests. IIRC it was first level gear. I also think it was a bit above my suggested level.

I just remember not even having devil's puffball and being a hard fight when I was learning to play.

Jack of Hearts posted:

Did you not take quests that were way over your level, or were you a Bear School tank all the way, or what?

For me, some of the most satisfying stuff in the game was fighting skull-class monsters, so quen was critical for me.

I frequently played quests well above my level, I just never found a need for quen ever. My build was mostly swords.

* All four light attack
* all four heavy attack
* acquired tolerance (the first tier thing)
* mind trick, whichever igni, a third spell thing depending on my feels

I then went with griffon armor the whole game to boost my sign intensity.

It worked well for me, and I liked being strong swords but still having solid spells.

Also, my swords all have the glphys for burning, poison and bleeding.

Skull fights are fun as hell, especially the Archgriffon on Skellige.

Arglebargle III posted:

I don't get the vitriol against quen. If you're running a light armor Gerald man using quen at the start of a fight/for health regeneration doesn't preclude using stamina for everything else. I use quen, yrden, whirl and AArd p much constantly. Axii is just such a crapshoot on monsters I rarely bother. Aard is more reliable. Free kill on humans is rarely important; unless I'm up against five or more or in a tight space Jerry fighting humans is like a cat playing with its food.

I just play the game differently I guess from a lot of people in the thread, I don't have any real hate towards Quen. I just never had a need for the health regen or shield when two decoctions already did it for me and I really never wanted the other decoctions to make going Quen instead of igni worth it. My fighting is largely light a group on fire, hack one of them to bits. Rinse, repeat. Throw bombs at assholes grouped up.

Whirl owns.

Antti posted:

Superior Golden Oriole makes poison heal you. It utterly trivializes a bunch of fights, it's great. I was fighting Archespores with level scaling on and thought "Hmm, wasn't there a potion to help against poisons?" and oh look at that.

Now, where the hell do I find enriched dimeritium or orichalcum?

Superior Golden Oriole basically trivilizes all the otherwise very frustrating new monsters in B&W.

I found a ton of orichalcum on the ?s. Didn't find any enriched dimeritium. You need to craft it. The ore itself is 2x dimeritum ore and 2x orichalum

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Lareine posted:

I meant after all of that. If you go to the Palace after the ending and talk to the Duchess, you get nothing new to talk about and Damian's model is still the old one.

Oh well that's punishment for not letting Geralt finally have his rest :colbert:

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

Jack of Hearts posted:

Crawdad chowder sounds delicious. Thank you for being turbonerd enough to go for it. Where do you live where they're affordable?
It is so good! Even the picky eaters in the house loved it, just didn't let them see what it's made out of. I live in Florida and just bought a big bag at the super market for $9. I'd double the crayfish if I made it again.

Lareine posted:

I'd tell you to do the hare pate next but I don't know where you'd get the rabbit.

I haven't found that one. Was thinking E'toule Blanch pasta next. Really simple and already have everything I'd need.

Yeah it's nerdy as hell but I love to cook and really got into this game.

This is the only game is seen recipes where I pondered the ingredients and thought "that actually sounds really good".

The nearby butcher does have rabbits though.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I see wildly disproportionate guard behavior is still in. I picked up a piece of paper off a table and steel was drawn.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Arglebargle III posted:

I see wildly disproportionate guard behavior is still in. I picked up a piece of paper off a table and steel was drawn.

I don't think it matters what you steal.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Pellisworth posted:

Playing on higher difficulties you don't have an easy way to regain health in the early game. Eventually you will get decoctions like Ekimmara (basically lifesteal, healing from sword damage) and Ekhidna (heals you whenever you use stamina, so casting Signs will heal).

you can get the one point wonder that turns every food item into a ridiculous 20 mins of healing, but that completely breaks the game imo

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Arglebargle III posted:

During B&W certain people in the city turned against me for whatever that part of the story was, and so I had to fight them on the way to another quest. Except the guards happened to be around so in fighting those guys I upset the guards and holy poo poo, you literally cannot run away from them. They have no tether like WoW stuff does, they will fuckin chase you forever and not stop. I had to just let them kill me, restart at the checkpoint and then run in a way that avoided that encounter to make it to the next quests.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Macaluso posted:

During B&W certain people in the city turned against me for whatever that part of the story was, and so I had to fight them on the way to another quest. Except the guards happened to be around so in fighting those guys I upset the guards and holy poo poo, you literally cannot run away from them. They have no tether like WoW stuff does, they will fuckin chase you forever and not stop. I had to just let them kill me, restart at the checkpoint and then run in a way that avoided that encounter to make it to the next quests.

Getting knocked out by guards would be fine if they didn't take away all your loving gold. What ridiculous poo poo that is.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

There is a fight in novigrad and yall probably know the one, where you can basically end up getting over your head with temple guards, and you can either fight or run away and never return to that part of novigrad or take a moment out of your life to fight red level guards. you respawn right on top of them, they remain hostile. It's terrible, but 100% gently caress letting anyone associated with the church of the eternal fire get away with speaking to me.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Moose-Alini posted:

I haven't found that one. Was thinking E'toule Blanch pasta next. Really simple and already have everything I'd need.

Yeah it's nerdy as hell but I love to cook and really got into this game.

This is the only game is seen recipes where I pondered the ingredients and thought "that actually sounds really good".

The nearby butcher does have rabbits though.

Please cook all the tasty recipes.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

hemophilia posted:

There is a fight in novigrad and yall probably know the one, where you can basically end up getting over your head with temple guards, and you can either fight or run away and never return to that part of novigrad or take a moment out of your life to fight red level guards. you respawn right on top of them, they remain hostile. It's terrible, but 100% gently caress letting anyone associated with the church of the eternal fire get away with speaking to me.

I'm not commenting on this exactly, but it's interesting they explicitly make it impossible to fight injustice in Novigrad. In general you fight Temple Guards and witch hunters wherever you go. Later, though, when witch hunters are persecuting non-humans at the gates after mid-game, you literally cannot anger them.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The disgusting peasants at my estate keep braiding my horse's tail.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Is there something bugged with the NG+ version of Breakneck Speed? It's the mission where you escape temple isle as Ciri - the guys at the end you have to fight before going through the door one or two-shot me (this includes arrows) and it takes me 10-20 crits to down a single guy. All of the other respawning guys before that section seem balanced, I kill them in 2 or 3 crits, but the guys at the end seem feel like they outlevel me by like 30.

I was playing on Blood and Bones or whatever the second to highest difficulty is, and everything up to that point (including the other Ciri sections) was easy to the point I was going to raise it to the highest for Skellige but that was some crap. I got sick of it and lowered difficulty to 'Just the Story', and even then the fight was a slog, each guy took 8-10 hits and one person hitting me from behind drained 75% of my energy.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Jack of Hearts posted:

I'm not commenting on this exactly, but it's interesting they explicitly make it impossible to fight injustice in Novigrad. In general you fight Temple Guards and witch hunters wherever you go. Later, though, when witch hunters are persecuting non-humans at the gates after mid-game, you literally cannot anger them.

interesting, as in, infuriating? I want to burn their temples to the ground from the time i meet the first dirty priest much less meet menge

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Has anyone posted a recommended progression for the game yet?

I'm thinking something like:

Do everything in White Orchard and pay close attention because it does a good job of tutorial zone, showing you everything you need to do
Velen, follow the main quest chain, do some side stuff if you like. But the main Bloody Baron chain is awesome storytelling and will give you enough levels to move on to Novigrad and Skellige. Velen has a large range in quest level so you'll come back.
Check out Oxenfurt and Novigrad, do some quests and save up until you have 1000 gold. Then buy a ride to Skellige, you'll fight some pirates on the way but they're not too tough. Search around when you arrive and recoup your 1000 gold fare. Then continue to Kaer Trolde to meet up with Yen. Buy maps from merchants on the way to unlock fast travel to the other islands. You can check out the villages, play Gwent, maybe do some of the quests depending on your level but the main purpose of going to Skellige early is to open it up as an option to mix in with Novigrad questing, plus introduce you to Yennefer.
Do Novigrad, break it up with some Velen and Skellige. Progressing the main quest past Isle of the Mists (point of no return) will give you a boatload of levels very quickly, wrap up the main character related quests and when you're ready continue with the main quest.
You can do Hearts of Stone before finishing the main quest if you like, there are a few references but no major content changes. Hearts of Stone is an end-game DLC, and Blood and Wine is more post-game.

Edit: I mean, basically follow the obvious progression of the game except go to Skellige as soon as you have 1000 gold put together, meet Yen, and open it up as an option to alternate with Novigrad questing.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jun 23, 2016

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'm finding out the conspiracy to plant archespores in the vinyards but don't seem able to do anything about it at the moment. Is there a place to pick up a related quest?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
The thing about the eternal flame is that as near as I can tell the only thing it actually does is orchestrate witch hunts and rile up the peasants. It doesn't have any prophets or tenets of faith outside of "fire is cool", it offers no charity or medical aid to the refugees that I've seen and every priest is a self serving rear end in a top hat. The entire organization is just dedicated to being pricks.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Caidin posted:

The thing about the eternal flame is that as near as I can tell the only thing it actually does is orchestrate witch hunts and rile up the peasants. It doesn't have any prophets or tenets of faith outside of "fire is cool", it offers no charity or medical aid to the refugees that I've seen and every priest is a self serving rear end in a top hat. The entire organization is just dedicated to being pricks.

I think the problem is they DO do this but it's never actually shown ingame.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Graden, the witch hunter from the Bloody Baron questline, seemed like a pretty decent guy.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

I'm finding out the conspiracy to plant archespores in the vinyards but don't seem able to do anything about it at the moment. Is there a place to pick up a related quest?

I'm not sure how far you've progressed but you need to work on the quests to help both of the rival vineyards. You can complete all five of each but don't turn either of them in yet. One of the five quests for each gives you a clue to the larger conspiracy, and once you've found both clues a third quest will unlock to let you investigate the truth.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Wow Nightwraith decoction is great for these huge Hanse fights.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Hmmm, I'm not sure if I can get the Compassion virtue after killing the Shaelmaar, and letting the old guy have the statue's balls for one day before returning them to the art museum guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Arglebargle III posted:

letting the old guy have the statue's balls for one day before returning them to the art museum guy.

I thought compassion was doing exactly that?