Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Boon posted:

Wait, the rule that requires financial advisors to be fiduciarys? Meaning they have a responsibility to act in their advisees best interests?

Yes, and it doesn't have anywhere enar 2/3 votes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I am not, actually. I am saying that the circular leftist firing squad of getting self-righteously angry about everything and mewing about BUT BUT THEY DON'T DO THIS FOR [pet cause] is really stupid.

What else would they do?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

MrSargent posted:

What is your opinion on this sit-in as a whole then? I realize the Feinstein bill is terrible, but I thought you mentioned you would have voted for the other one requiring universal background checks. Is it wrong to be even slightly encouraged that something is being done?

Yeah, Chris Murphy's amendment would be a good law. I think the Democrats are tactically right here and that holding the floor in these spectacles this week is a good way to draw attention to the unpopular obstruction of the other party. They've just unfortunately decided that part of their demands includes a garbage bill to expand a program that many of them opposed when the other party was in the White House. Doing so needlessly antagonizes some of the people who'd otherwise full-throatedly endorse this action.

pacmania90
May 31, 2010

MrSargent posted:

What is your opinion on this sit-in as a whole then? I realize the Feinstein bill is terrible, but I thought you mentioned you would have voted for the other one requiring universal background checks. Is it wrong to be even slightly encouraged that something is being done?

The other Senate Democrats should have condemned Feinstein for her terrible legislation and focused their efforts on promoting Murphy's proposal.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Joementum posted:

Yeah, Chris Murphy's amendment would be a good law. I think the Democrats are tactically right here and that holding the floor in these spectacles this week is a good way to draw attention to the unpopular obstruction of the other party. They've just unfortunately decided that part of their demands includes a garbage bill to expand a program that many of them opposed when the other party was in the White House. Doing so needlessly antagonizes some of the people who'd otherwise full-throatedly endorse this action.

It's not a winning PR issue if it's just Murphy's bill though.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

So the plan now is to keep holding the floor, even if they call to session?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
The feeds from Periscope are done, and C-SPAN has no video until the House cameras are back on.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

DemeaninDemon posted:

What else would they do?

literally anything to contribute

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Joementum posted:

Yah that is certainly the part that bothers me the most.

pacmania90 posted:

The other Senate Democrats should have condemned Feinstein for her terrible legislation and focused their efforts on promoting Murphy's proposal.

Completely agree with this. I'll still try to be remotely encouraged.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Tatum Girlparts posted:

literally anything to contribute

Probably also not call John Lewis a racist.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

That's badass.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

It's not a winning PR issue if it's just Murphy's bill though.

It's clearly not a winning PR issue now. Not even Vox is really behind this move.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Bushiz posted:

It's clearly not a winning PR issue now. Not even Vox is really behind this move.

:lol:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I love her so goddamn much.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
C-SPAN caller is mad about the sit-in because "they are paid to stand up".

Hate to break it to you, guy, but there's seats in that there House chamber. In fact, they spend taxpayer dollars on office chairs!

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
They're highlighting the fact that Republicans won't look at any gun control period even if it's an expansion of a program they created as part of the War on Terror. It's not 9th dimensional chess or whatever the gently caress, it's really basic messaging. It's 2 dimensional tic-tac-toe.

pacmania90
May 31, 2010

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Probably also not call John Lewis a racist.

I don't think it's wrong to call someone out for supporting racist legislation.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
"I'm unhappy about this sit in because they want to take all our guns forever and also have you heard about Benjamin Ghazi?"

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Who is this man that is paid to sit and listen wide-eyed to crazy people rant?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
since deleted:

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

It's pretty clear they won the news cycle and lol the No Fly, No Guns proposal has like an 80% approval rating. (Feinstein's bill is bad, for the record.)

pacmania90 posted:

I don't think it's wrong to call someone out for supporting racist legislation.

Calling John Lewis a racist is loving stupid.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

CSPAN go back to the House floor audio please

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Joementum posted:

C-SPAN caller is mad about the sit-in because "they are paid to stand up".

Hate to break it to you, guy, but there's seats in that there House chamber. In fact, they spend taxpayer dollars on office chairs!

Switched to C-SPAN to hear some caller literally say, "Let's forget Republicans, Democrats, Conservatives, and Liberals for just a second. Now we have a Second Amendment that says I have the right to bear arms...I don't know what these Liberals or whoever is thinking when they talk about taking this away."

loving lol.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
These politicians need to take a cold shower and drink some good water because the water in DC is making them crazy.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

MrSargent posted:

Switched to C-SPAN to hear some caller literally say, "Let's forget Republicans, Democrats, Conservatives, and Liberals for just a second. Now we have a Second Amendment that says I have the right to bear arms...I don't know what these Liberals or whoever is thinking when they talk about taking this away."

loving lol.

He did say just a second

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Meanwhile the Leftist of Twitter are mewing over Dems not doing this for every pet issue of theirs. I hate the left sometimes.

Why don't they do this for weed legalization and student loans

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
At least five violations of the House rules of decorum in this picture, including the existence of the picture.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

It's pretty clear they won the news cycle and lol the No Fly, No Guns proposal has like an 80% approval rating. (Feinstein's bill is bad, for the record.)

80% approval is just confirmation that vox populi sounds like an 8-track player in a Chevy Vega blasting disco.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
the most defining media of this election will be a sick twitter burn and periscopes lol

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
The No Fly list is pretty small at around 50,000 compared to 19 million on the Terrorist Watch List.

pacmania90
May 31, 2010

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

They're highlighting the fact that Republicans won't look at any gun control period even if it's an expansion of a program they created as part of the War on Terror. It's not 9th dimensional chess or whatever the gently caress, it's really basic messaging. It's 2 dimensional tic-tac-toe.

The problem is that this isn't actually true. Republicans can rebut this line of attack really easily by pointing to their own gun control proposals and shift the blame back to Democrats by arguing that they don't support your rights, 2nd amendment or otherwise.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

site posted:

Why don't they do this for weed legalization and student loans

1. lol weed
2. these people's kids don't have student loan debt

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Deteriorata posted:

80% approval is just confirmation that vox populi sounds like an 8-track player in a Chevy Vega blasting disco.

Reminder, I am saying the bill is loving garbo, but they absolutely won this and outside the leftist-hivement, no one is actually talking about that bill in particular. they're talking about republicans being unwilling to have a vote on gun control in abstract.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Great optics

https://twitter.com/joyannreid/status/745797873799938048

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

2. these people's kids don't have student loan debt

I'd venture a guess a number of them have or had student debt.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
ryan tryin to speak now

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
lol Paul Ryan

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Reminder, I am saying the bill is loving garbo, but they absolutely won this and outside the leftist-hivement, no one is actually talking about that bill in particular. they're talking about republicans being unwilling to have a vote on gun control in abstract.

I know that. It's a terrible bill, and the fact that 80% of the population approves of it just proves that the general public is really loving stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Are they just gonna pretend that the Democrats aren't there? lol

• Locked thread