Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Also, anyone interested in my Pioneer VSX-521 for say $100 shipped?

PM sent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

canyoneer posted:

I may be. Let me check with the mrs.

Nevermind, my HTPC is just a tiny bit too big as well, so I'm returning the media center instead.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Nevermind, my HTPC is just a tiny bit too big as well, so I'm returning the media center instead.

This is like the #1 problem with most stands, they're designed to hold a cable box and maybe a game console, things like receivers [and all the associated cabling] probably don't even enter their minds while designing them.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Yeah, I think my next HTPC is going to be a NUC that I can VESA mount to the back of my TV (I have built in shelving)

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Got a question for you guys. I've tried doing some research on this, but so far, I haven't found much of anything.

A couple of years ago, I moved into my new house and set up a great 5.1 system courtesy of help I got in this thread. The problem, though, is that I have horrible cats that have proceeded to ruin my two floor standing speakers and sub-woofers by wizzing on them and shredding them up. Didn't see this coming, and I should have, but that's where I am now.

So I'm left with my center channel and rear speakers as they are mounted up high.

I was considering that maybe the best way to replace the stuff I lost was to just get a soundbar, but it looks like doing that would essentially negate everything as they are supposed to be somewhat all-in-one.

I don't have the option of mounting anything apart from a soundbar due to space concerns. I could just live with the center channel and rear speakers but I'm feeling like that'll be pretty drat underwhelming. I don't have a ton of money to throw at this problem, maybe 300/400 bucks?

So in short, I have a receiver, two rear speakers, and a center channel that I'm happy with, what can I do to round it out? Any ideas would be most appreciated.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Did I read correctly that you have no way of mounting front speakers?

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

taqueso posted:

Did I read correctly that you have no way of mounting front speakers?

Eh, I don't know. If I can get small enough speakers to replace the floor standing, I supposed I could mount them. But subwoofers belong on the ground right?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I imagine a lot of subwoofers are designed for corner placement and boundary gain is included in their simulations and sales literature, but there isn't anything that says a subwoofer has to be on the floor. Under 80Hz, you could mount it in the corner of the ceiling and it would be the same as a corner of the floor.

e: Could you shield the speakers with mesh or somehow defend them from cats like with that motion detecting air can thing?

taqueso fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jun 10, 2016

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
You can also pretty easily find a sub that doesn't have fabric on it, although that wouldn't help the whizzing problem. You could use bookshelf speakers for fronts, as well, which wouldn't be as big the end of the world since you have a sub.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Bookshelf speakers plus stands can look pretty cool.

And as Dogen said - can you get a sub without fabric or would your cats destroy the wood?

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Wallmounting bookshelf speakers or putting them on stands solves the immediate problem. Maybe run a 5.0 system for a while and see if you can get by without the bass while you train the cats to not piss on things (or give them more human time, because my cat only does things like that when he feels neglected, sick or scared)?

If you want another pair of floorstanding speakers, Newegg has Polk Monitor 70's on sale for a pretty decent price.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Awesome advice from everyone, I think I will go with some small speakers and try and get them mounted up. Also, I also though subwoofers had to be on the ground for some reason. I'll look into my options, thanks all!

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
While we're all here let's put it up to a poll, shall we?

1) The most important thing when you get a home theater are:
A) a receiver and two passive speakers
B) two active speakers

2) After you have your two front speakers, the next most important speaker is:
A) Center
B) Subwoofer

3) Rear speakers should comprise of about
A) 10% or less of the budget
B) more than 10% of the budget

4) More than 5.1 speakers are useful in a home theater
A) no
B) yes (why?)

Since I made the questionnaire, conveniently all my answers are A except on the fourth question, conditionally. How does it go for you?

Also edited second post in thread to contain my audio stuff in case someone is interested.

Hob_Gadling fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jun 11, 2016

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
A, A assuming front speakers full range, A, A

I had a rear center for a while but it just didn't see that much use and it's very difficult to position in a room.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

A (unless you want to spend money on extra amplifiers you don't need or you find an amplifier-less receiver)
B (you won't get sub-20Hz out of any front speaker)
A (but whatever, spend a bunch if you have the money)
B (i really like having front height speakers. I couldn't get 7.1 to work out well, the sound source didn't feel like it panned smoothly behind, but the DSX height is good. Also, I assume Atmos is cool but I have no experience)

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

taqueso posted:

B (you won't get sub-20Hz out of any front speaker)

You won't get sub-20Hz out of most subwoofers, either.

"Meaningful output below ~50Hz" is much more realistic, despite the fanciful claims of speaker manufacturers. -3dB frequency range specs are generally complete lies, or at least very creative manipulations of the truth.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

KozmoNaut posted:

You won't get sub-20Hz out of most subwoofers, either.
Fair enough, most 12"-ish off-the-shelf subs won't. I built one specifically to go to ~15Hz. But you won't get it ever without a sub.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Hob_Gadling posted:

While we're all here let's put it up to a poll, shall we?

1) The most important thing when you get a home theater are:
A) a receiver and two passive speakers
B) two active speakers

2) After you have your two front speakers, the next most important speaker is:
A) Center
B) Subwoofer

3) Rear speakers should comprise of about
A) 10% or less of the budget
B) more than 10% of the budget

4) More than 5.1 speakers are useful in a home theater
A) no
B) yes (why?)

Since I made the questionnaire, conveniently all my answers are A except on the fourth question, conditionally. How does it go for you?

Also edited second post in thread to contain my audio stuff in case someone is interested.

A, A for movies B for music, A, Probably A but depends

ufarn
May 30, 2009

ufarn posted:

This week, my audio keeps dying on me, and I basically have to restart for it to work again. It looks like something is up with the USB connection between my amp/interface and the computer, since I occasionally get a USB connection error when trying to reconnect.

When the audio dies, I can't play anything in iTunes, and YouTube videos refuse to play as well. I don't know if this is standard behaviour in Win 8.1 for this kind of error, but it's hella annoying.

Any ideas what it could be and what to do about it?
Crossposting, in case someone has had a problem specific to their amp. (In this case a Scarlett Solo.)

Tried using other USB ports.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

ufarn posted:

Crossposting, in case someone has had a problem specific to their amp. (In this case a Scarlett Solo.)

Tried using other USB ports.

You could try using a program to watch the USB events, there might be a clue as to why the device is going away. Something like this, but I haven't actually used it. It will probably just say "xxx disconnected" or something vague, though. My guess is that something is going bad in the USB controller of the Scarlett, if you have verified the PC's USB ports and cable work with other devices.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

taqueso posted:

You could try using a program to watch the USB events, there might be a clue as to why the device is going away. Something like this, but I haven't actually used it. It will probably just say "xxx disconnected" or something vague, though. My guess is that something is going bad in the USB controller of the Scarlett, if you have verified the PC's USB ports and cable work with other devices.
Program always freezes when I run it - both x86 and x64 versions, alas.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Turns out my Pioneer VSX-521 is like 1" too deep for my new media center. Looks like the Yamaha RX-V379 is the best budget receiver out there. Any other receivers I should look into for entry level home theater?

http://www.whathifi.com/yamaha/rx-v379/review

Also, anyone interested in my Pioneer VSX-521 for say $100 shipped?

Ended up getting the smaller Yamaha receiver that fit better.

If anyone wants my Pioneer VSX-521 for $100 shipped give me a PM.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Amazon has a deal on a refurbished Yamaha TSR-5790BL today. I've run through a bunch of the back pages here but don't see Yamaha mentioned much. Anyone have a first hand experience with this model? I was thinking about going Denon, but the pricepoint on this model seems pretty decent for the feature list. Does Yamaha have decent hardware inside?

ufarn
May 30, 2009

ufarn posted:

Program always freezes when I run it - both x86 and x64 versions, alas.
The USB just failed, as I hooked up my iPhone to charge. What power woes could this point to?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Amazon has a deal on a refurbished Yamaha TSR-5790BL today. I've run through a bunch of the back pages here but don't see Yamaha mentioned much. Anyone have a first hand experience with this model? I was thinking about going Denon, but the pricepoint on this model seems pretty decent for the feature list. Does Yamaha have decent hardware inside?

That's basically the same as the RX-V579

Yamaha hardware is solid. Doesn't get a lot of love here but I've been very happy with my RX-V673 which is several years old now.

If the price is right and the feature set meets your needs you should be happy. Cross shop other units in your price range though that Yamahas feature set won't blow you away.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I'm helping a friend pick a budget receiver and speaker setup for a record player.

Last time I bought a budget setup for myself, the Dayton B652 paired with the compact Lepai amp was the flavor of the month but I understand it's fallen out of favor.

Is there a comparable setup that will work with a turntable?

this is the turntable, if it matters.

http://www.audioreview.com/cat/analog-sources/turntables/technics/sl-bd20d-semi-automatic-turntable/prd_126807_1597crx.aspx

me your dad fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jun 19, 2016

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

me your dad posted:

I'm helping a friend pick a budget receiver and speaker setup for a record player.

Last time I bought a budget setup for myself, the Dayton B652 paired with the compact Lepai amp was the flavor of the month but I understand it's fallen out of favor.

Is there a comparable setup that will work with a turntable?

this is the turntable, if it matters.

http://www.audioreview.com/cat/analog-sources/turntables/technics/sl-bd20d-semi-automatic-turntable/prd_126807_1597crx.aspx

He's going to need an amp with a phono stage if he doesn't have a preamp.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

BigFactory posted:

He's going to need an amp with a phono stage if he doesn't have a preamp.

It'll likely be an amp + phono amp separately, since that seems to be the cheaper option (right?).

On this page: http://coloredvinylrecords.com/blog/turntable-setup-on-a-budget/

Option 3 seems like it would work, but the Micca speakers, for example, seem to be powered. He would only need the phono amp with powered speakers, right?

Turntable > phono amp (Behringer PP400) > powered speakers (Micca PB42X

Would that work? Would it sound okay and produce decent volume?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

My cousin's house has a TON of in ceiling speakers that they would like to use for whole home audio (I think I counted 15 channels). What is the cheapest multi-channel power amp that isn't a piece of crap?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

me your dad posted:

It'll likely be an amp + phono amp separately, since that seems to be the cheaper option (right?).

On this page: http://coloredvinylrecords.com/blog/turntable-setup-on-a-budget/

Option 3 seems like it would work, but the Micca speakers, for example, seem to be powered. He would only need the phono amp with powered speakers, right?

Turntable > phono amp (Behringer PP400) > powered speakers (Micca PB42X

Would that work? Would it sound okay and produce decent volume?

Active speakers don't require an amp, but you still need a phono pre amp if you're using a phonograph as your source. So the gear you picked out there would be fine, I guess.

I don't know that a new amp and phono pre amp is the most affordable choice, though, unless you're restricting yourself to new gear and those tiny Chinese amps. Used integrated amps with a phono stage are going to be pretty cheap too.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

The Chinese amps are what I'm considering. If I were buying it, I'd probably go with a used receiver with a phono input but I don't think my friend would be willing to go that route. He wants a readily-available inexpensive setup. This is just for occasional listening.

I saw a setup here which seems like it should work (excepting the record player, which isn't needed).

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, that can backfire... some men like their bitches crazy.
OK so terribly uninformed post here if anyone could lend

We've been using a panasonic sa-ak770 for the past almost 10 years? But it's radio isn't digital, the cd changer recently lost a tooth and only clicks, the tape deck stopped working and so the main unit itself just sits there awkwardly while I use its audio input port with my phone plugged in. Oh and the remote melted (!).

Is there any way I can replace the main unit but keep the existing speakers and sub?

The sub and speakers just have 2 wires each and are 700w total. Only trouble is I have NO idea what I'm doing and wouldn't want to kill the speakers or media playing unit just by jamming them in holes and praying.

Ideally I'm after the cheapest option. Though with modern fancy technology if there's a way to hook it up to wifi or windows sharing or Bluetooth that'd be fantastic.

Anyone has any advice that'd be great. Thanks :)

Edit: it's got a 3.5mm audio in port and usb. So I could always bodge around it by using a USB powered bluetooth audio device plugged into those 2 ports, but then people will have to use their phones bluetooth whenever they want to play anything which would murder battery life :(

Captain Hair fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jun 20, 2016

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Captain Hair posted:

OK so terribly uninformed post here if anyone could lend

We've been using a panasonic sa-ak770 for the past almost 10 years? But it's radio isn't digital, the cd changer recently lost a tooth and only clicks, the tape deck stopped working and so the main unit itself just sits there awkwardly while I use its audio input port with my phone plugged in. Oh and the remote melted (!).

Is there any way I can replace the main unit but keep the existing speakers and sub?

The sub and speakers just have 2 wires each and are 700w total. Only trouble is I have NO idea what I'm doing and wouldn't want to kill the speakers or media playing unit just by jamming them in holes and praying.

Ideally I'm after the cheapest option. Though with modern fancy technology if there's a way to hook it up to wifi or windows sharing or Bluetooth that'd be fantastic.

Anyone has any advice that'd be great. Thanks :)

Looks like the SA-AK770 has 2 passive speakers and a passive sub. Since your sub doesn't have speaker outputs you aren't going to be able to hook it up without a separate subwoofer amp, which probably isn't worth doing. But you can reuse the speakers.

Cheapest would be a used receiver off of craigslist or a chinese T-amp. In terms of fancy technology there aren't many budget options other than the google chromecast music or Audiocast M5.

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, that can backfire... some men like their bitches crazy.
Ah bugger, thanks anyway :( it's too gutless without the sub.

I'll just use the music port with and old mp3 or cd player and deal with that way. I'll have another go at fixing the disc changer, see if I can rebuild the broken plastic teeth somehow.

Cheers for the help though either way :)

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Captain Hair posted:

Check Ebay, at least UK site sells remotes. You might get lucky and catch someone selling a functional unit without speakers (or with, but at a decent price).

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Captain Hair posted:

I'll just use the music port with and old mp3 or cd player and deal with that way. I'll have another go at fixing the disc changer, see if I can rebuild the broken plastic teeth somehow.

You could buy a super cheap cd or DVD player and hook it up to AUX.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Captain Hair posted:

http://www.parts-express.com/lepai-lp-168ha-21-2x40w-mini-amplifier-1x68w-sub-output--310-308

That being said, it's not much more than an amplifier with a 3.5mm jack, so you're not gaining anything except a smaller footprint.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

KillHour posted:

http://www.parts-express.com/lepai-lp-168ha-21-2x40w-mini-amplifier-1x68w-sub-output--310-308

That being said, it's not much more than an amplifier with a 3.5mm jack, so you're not gaining anything except a smaller footprint.

I didn't realize they made T-amps that had passive sub hookups. That's pretty cool.

I should've mentioned in my earlier comment that Captain Hair could probably just hook up the sub to the speaker outputs, but without a crossover I don't know how good that would sound.

Hashtag Banterzone fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jun 20, 2016

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Thanks to all those who helped me out a week back. I found some good bookshelf speakers for my two fronts. Now I've got another question.

As far as my subwoofer goes, I'm very limited in where it can go. If it's on the floor, it'll become the cat's bitch, no questions asked. I've got a subwoofer that I'm trying to place, and right now the only place I can see it working is on the glass tv stand thing I have. It currently houses my center channel with no problems, but I'm worried that because the subwoofer is down firing the glass may screw it up. Any idea if that'll be an issue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

KillHour posted:

Oh hey, that thing is pretty cool.