Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

ChickenWing posted:

It's literally a tuatha with mistform/mirror image/I think a third buff and also a frost brand+vine shield+a bunch of probably misc event garbage that I think includes regen

32 defense+vine shield+mistform+regen = lol

wait how is he frostbranding skeletons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

wait how is he frostbranding skeletons

because even without the small aoe frost a tuatha is still making like 3 attacks

it's not efficient, but it works

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
The trick is to summon 1000 skeletons so that he dies due to the battle timer expiring.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

He has a Frostbrand, Vine Shield, Armor of Displacement, Goring Helmet Thing, Regen Ring and Reinvigoration Amulet Thing. He's a prophet in candles with a D9 bless. He casts mist form, personal regeneration and also I guess holy avenger but nothing has ever gotten through his zillion mirror images.

He has over 500 kills.

jBrereton posted:

The trick is to summon 1000 skeletons so that he dies due to the battle timer expiring.

He can kill about 150 skeletons before he gets bored and fucks off but in the corner they can't fully surround him due to vine shield so whatever. The AI is too dumb to deal with him.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

isn't there a hat that shoots undead? make that

Ramc
May 4, 2008

I literally just threw him at the same like 400 dude siege 3 times while the AI did gently caress all until he broke it.

EDIT: His hall of fame power is Third Eye, so he has bonus MR to boot.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
If only there was a magic in this game with the power to affect the humours that did not check resists. A sanguine magic, perhaps.

Alternately, Literally Any Evocation and half a dozen alterations

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jun 22, 2016

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

I Love You! posted:

If only there was a magic in this game with the power to affect the humours that did not check resists. A sanguine magic, perhaps.

Alternately, Literally Any Evocation and half a dozen alterations
It is gauche to use evocation.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
It is juche to use evocation

Culka
May 20, 2007
Nothing
I made a little script which replaces poptypes and indies on a map (kinda like semiRandom for Dom 3 if anyone remembers it). Think you know how to expand with no losss against all the indies? There may be a surprise or two along the way now...

The downsides of this is that all the units are defined in the .map file, so the host can go full modpud and cheat knowledge of the starting situation.

Anyway, I created a game using the generator Here! Join to see what it's about!

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

Culka posted:

I made a little script which replaces poptypes and indies on a map (kinda like semiRandom for Dom 3 if anyone remembers it). Think you know how to expand with no losss against all the indies? There may be a surprise or two along the way now...

The downsides of this is that all the units are defined in the .map file, so the host can go full modpud and cheat knowledge of the starting situation.

Next step is to combine it with a nationgen unit creator so that provinces are inhabited by hoburg bear cavalry and Abysian druids.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Culka posted:

This looks exciting and I am breaking my "no more than 3 games at a time" rule to play it

mostly because two of those games are basically done anyways but whatever I'm pumped

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

jBrereton posted:

It is gauche to use evocation.

I guess you could take the really complicated and convoluted route of "summoning 2 fire elementals"

Culka
May 20, 2007
Nothing

Benly posted:

Next step is to combine it with a nationgen unit creator so that provinces are inhabited by hoburg bear cavalry and Abysian druids.

That's the plan actually! It'll probably be quite hard to balance but lol what's balance in this game anyway.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

I Love You! posted:

I guess you could take the really complicated and convoluted route of "summoning 2 fire elementals"

He is invincible because I only use him to kill retard AI skeleton swarms. I might actually have to think if I used him against people.

He is up to 5 xp stars now. I've never seen that.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Culka posted:

Are just the indie garrisons replaced, or can you recruit the randomed units too?

Fauxbot
Jan 20, 2009

I need more wine.
I bought this game about a year ago but just started playing with some friends and am enjoying it despite losing badly. Suppose I'll sign up to the goon registration site.

Culka
May 20, 2007
Nothing

AfroSquirrel posted:

Are just the indie garrisons replaced, or can you recruit the randomed units too?

Garrisons, recruited units and PD get all changed, too.

Actually, there's no reason not to share this, since I won't be using the default indy setup: https://github.com/culka/randominions4. You'll need python to run the script but no additional libraries are needed.

Indies are generated from files like http://pastebin.com/wv9QMWFQ

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
An update to this:

Speleothing posted:

So, I've been hinting for a couple of weeks that I had a mod nation in the pipeline. It's ready for balance-testing now, and is effectively feature-complete, just needs a little bit more flavor and some heroes to tie it into existing Dominions lore.

The basic idea was to have a nation whose random starting path would set the tone for the rest of the game, largely inspired by CoE but also by the fact that none of the vanilla summons can break you into an elemental path you don't already have (unlike the sorceries). I decided to make it MA, mostly because I didn't think it was magically powerful enough for EA, but too strong for LA.

The troop lineup is fairly generic outside of the capitol, with Longspear, Javelineer, Archer, Light Cav, and two Heavy Infantries. Your only recruit-anywhere mage is a N1 50%N 25%SN with a little bit of fortunetelling. In my test games I ended up pretty deep in N2s, with enough N1S1 and N2S1 to get the necessities taken care of. Your other recruit-anywhere commanders include a troop-leading H1 priest, as well a troop leader for your magic beings and a resource-bonus dude with mundane research capacity.

From the Cap, you get four flavors of nonsacred elemental infantry and an ethereal sacred. The Sacred has homesickness, so you're not likely to use them much after expansion. But if you take a point or two of Prod, you should be able to poo poo a rainbow of hurt onto any attempted rushes. You also get an StR ethereal H2 50%S priest who should have no trouble taking on a couple points of PD with a little reinvig.

Summonable troops are varied, but pretty much come down to a little blocker at Conj1, MagmaKid/Gnome/Sylph at Conj3, and a sacred at Conj5. You also get a scaling summon for the cap-only nonsacreds in Const. Finally, you can summon two levels of mages in the elemental flavors, costed so you can probably get a cheap one every turn or an expensive one every other turn and still afford the troop summons. I've set up a site-creating event so that you're only going to have good starting income for one element in each game, even though it's probably a good idea to look for ways to break into the others.

Edit:
Update 1.01
*Fixed dog fist, it now bites
*Removed scaling on Snowmen
*Fixed cavalry buckler
*Fixed Pyre cat weapon mixup
*Snowman has a nose
*typos
*fixed the filepath errors
*gave stream snakes slimer since their bite doesn't seem to be working -still not working? Does slimer effect work for any vanilla units!?!
*increased gems from 6 -> 7 on the event sites so you can afford more mages
*added Statue of the Underworld to god choices, since there's no chance anybody would ever take it over Irminsul anyway
*removed scaling from Thunder Hawks spell
*set nametypes
*upped fat damage on steal breath from 25 to 35, range & ammo from 15 to 20
*moved random apprentice summon from thaum3 to thaum4
*buffed stats & resists slightly on Snowman, Stream Snake, Wave Knight (water felt like weakest path)

Download Link:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3JF0SAScXaBLWMtMk9lNTVBYjQ

Version 1.01 is already included in the SomethingAwful Modpack that Mu curates.

Update 1.02
*added light infantry, nudged stats on shieldwall & javelineer
*Slimer requires a number, gave it a 2.
--- Should Wave Knights get slimer as well? Are they worth summoning? W is easy to boostrap.
*fixed the stream snake bite effect? snakes could be really good with both sources of slime
*changed archer from short sword->dagger & iron cap->ReinfLeather. Fits better with EA lore & lowers rcost
*aether guard 30->35g, base rcost 8->11r, chain->scale hauberk, negative reinvg 2->3,
*aether guard att decreased by 1, homesickness to 25
*descriptions to match EA lore. Still needs more editing here.
*goldcost on scout cav 15->19, still cheapest cav in game
*removed irminsul, since n9 was so good/odd with homesickness & a safe bet for the sacred lvl5 summons
*Founder boosted so as to get lvl4 in his path. Nobody was likely to spend to empower him anyway, but he'll jump to lvl2 (any path including sdnb) if you do
*Related to above, removed the now-uneccesary national booster items.
*Prices increased on elemental infantry 18->20, bodyguards 12->14, heavy inf 11->12
*changed Steal Breath to fire every turn, 3->5 prec, ammo reduced back to 15
*Reduced per cast Sylphs 6->5, THawks 3->2. Air is a strong path already
*gave Herd of Elephants & Pride of Lions. Way smarter to spend N on apprentices & battle spells. But completeness & lore demanded it.
*gave a battlefield Wave Warriors at alt 7 (that ought to be generic & in vanilla but will be restricted for now).
* lowered price on the Scholars 13->12gems, so you can afford more of your good mages & still have summons. (didn't want to make the cap more of a rush-target by increasing income again)

Hero ideas (unimplemented)
Master Animist - n3s2 inspiring researcher multi
The Aether-Born - Teleport-movement s1h1 fear thugs multi
High Priestess - s1H3 (unique)

EA Elemnia - The Fallen City

Largely inspired by Sum1Won's LA Pythium mod, I decided to do the next era as a nation where you choose your power-path when you select your prophet. I originally intended to make this the LA version, but as I went I felt it made more sense for the powerful mages I was coding to fit into the EA. It was a pretty simple lore shift for the age of collapse and destruction to come before the (re)founding in MA.

To start out, you've got access to two mages and four other commanders. The mages are a 200%DF or a 200%EB so fairly useful but not crazy for EA. You've got the same Scout Sergeant from MA, a militia commander, and an 80Ldr captain. Finally, there are H1 priests available outside of your forts, but not inside. Troops are a pretty standard Militia, Archer, Light Inf, and two Medium Inf. There are some javelins sprinkled around, and you've got len5 Machaka spears, so you should do alright. You also get Flagellants from outside of forts, but not inside.

But you've also got 4 choices on who should be your Prophet: the cults of Pedoseion, Antrax, Aether, or Infantry. Unlike Sum1Won's LA Pythium, there are no take-backs by getting your Prophet killed. So you can't build up a force of D3s, then swap into Blood for lategame. All of these units are available out of all of your forts once you've chosen your path. You keep both the 2xfedb listed above no matter what you pick, so you aren't completely locked in.
* Pedoseion gives you a E2B1 100%EB mage who can boost to cast pretty much any E battle spell or spend his life summoning Demon Knights, and a 80g B1 with built-in dousing bonus. Also a stronger Militia that has a patrol bonus.
* Antrax gives a F3D1 mage for dropping big Evos & Flaming Arrows, and a StR D3F1 that compares nicely to Sauromancers. Also an assassin with a bow that you'll likely never recruit.
* Aether gives a StR S2H2 100%AWS mage and a rec-anywhere H3. Also you get Flagellants and a nicer but still cheap heavy-armor sacred out of all your forts. It's a bit less raw power than the above two, but you get diversity and the ability to claim a bunch of Thrones at once for the stealth win.
* Infantry Cult gives a 120LdR commander and an Engineer with siege&castledef bonuses. The Engineer is an extremely cheap researcher, but has no paths to use that research, so it's a bit of a wash. But more importantly, you get a Longbowman and three heavy infantry: one as an upgraded machaka spear, and two as better-than-Ermor tower shields. Since you're giving up entirely on the powerhouse mages, I felt free to go hog wild on the troops you get, with better-than-human stats and very low prices. You also get a resource bonus from the site that lets you recruit them.

Summons are weaker versions of the F&E summons from MA. I'm also thinking about a Banefire kids or permanent Illearth Elementals. But that will be for a later version once I've got some balance feedback on the current setup. No heroes planned yet.

---------
For the LA I've been planning to to an Age of Learning with FoerignRec lvl1 mages, and in-fort 2x1path or lvl2 mages, and a cap-only rainbow mage. Probably keep all the MA summons, and have a wheel-keeps-turning lore that loops around back to EA.

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jun 23, 2016

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
* Pedoseion gives you a E2B1 100%EB mage who can boost to cast pretty much any E battle spell or spend his life summoning Demon Knights, and a 70g B1 with built-in dousing bonus. Also a stronger Militia that has a patrol bonus.

This is a bonkers holy poo poo insaneo mage especially with free lil blood hunters, there is not much in the game that can beat Demon Knights even in relatively small numbers which is why so few mages can summon them. It's a little better in LA but not by a whole lot so beware! Also being able to summon Illearths in a pinch mitages some of the downsides of rushing blood early making this dude even better. This nation can skip construction and gun straight for blood 8 with no real downsides while also building a huge army of nasty motherfuckers and having a great combat spam - unless their troops are bad this looks tier-1 or better with a bullet.

Cool idea for a nation overall tho and I guess most mod nations push the boundaries of power so it's probably fine.

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jun 23, 2016

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
I think the nation overall is not as strong as Pan, Bery, or Xib.

They probably ought to be StR & closer to 200g, though, that's an oversight. Edit: I had to re-upload anyway because I forgot the sprites. So I bumped them to StR, 195g.

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jun 23, 2016

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Speleothing posted:

I think the nation overall is not as strong as Pan, Bery, or Xib.

They probably ought to be StR & closer to 200g, though, that's an oversight.

Bery is a TERRIBLE nation, they only get their good paths on an incredibly expensive StR mage and their troops are possibly the worst of any nation in any age. With that said they still win games because if they diplomance into the lategame despite their horrible early game they can take over with ridiculous crosspaths. I wouldn't use them as a basis for comparison in either case because you're either looking to mimic an awful nation with a broken endgame or you're trying to make them not-awful in which case you just have a broken nation.

EA Xibalba is nuts but mostly for its troops, I don't think their mages even really factor into it much, though I think that's a better basis for comparison with regards to capabilities.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

I Love You! posted:

Bery is a TERRIBLE nation, they only get their good paths on an incredibly expensive StR mage and their troops are possibly the worst of any nation in any age.
I think Jomon has them pipped tbh.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

jBrereton posted:

I think Jomon has them pipped tbh.

Jomon's troops are crummy but hardly Berytos or Ur bad in comparison to the poo poo they're going to be fighting. Plus they actually benefit from taking a bless. Jomon is not a good nation but it at least has things going for it before turn 30.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
For sure Berytos is like the #1 weakest nation relative to its era in the early game, I just dunno, at least they can get quite a lot of them once their paths are useful for enchantment and stuff?

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

jBrereton posted:

For sure Berytos is like the #1 weakest nation relative to its era in the early game, I just dunno, at least they can get quite a lot of them once their paths are useful for enchantment and stuff?

Yeah but once people realize that rushing down Berytos before turn 16 is literally an easier way to get provinces than killing indies you're never going to see those shiny enchantments.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

What's StR?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Leperflesh posted:

What's StR?

Slow to Recruit

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

jBrereton posted:

The honorable nation of Marverni objects to this declaration. At least Berytos has elephants.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Nuclearmonkee posted:

The honorable nation of Marverni objects to this declaration. At least Berytos has elephants.

Boar warriors were reduced in price by 2 pounds of gold EACH and with their B9 bless they can kill a humanoid opponent in a single strike.

Atlanton
Mar 23, 2013

Nuclearmonkee posted:

The naked buckler monkeys of the late age would also like to put their hat into the ring.

And that has nothing to do with the fact I was just stomped into a pulp as patala.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
LA Patala would really, really benefit and possibly almost be fixed if somebody just added a Bandar with Tower Shield troop to their roster.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Atlanton posted:

The naked buckler monkeys of the late age would also like to put their hat into the ring.
You must make tiny monkeys to soak 200 crossbows at a time each my friend.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

How are u posted:

LA Patala would really, really benefit and possibly almost be fixed if somebody just added a Bandar with Tower Shield troop to their roster.

They would still be bad but at least serviceable with this change.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

jBrereton posted:

You must make tiny monkeys to soak 200 crossbows at a time each my friend.

Recruitable flying fatigue monkey

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.

Nuclearmonkee posted:

They would still be bad but at least serviceable with this change.

b1 markata, recruit-anywhere

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002
:siren:DOM4 is 50% off on steam right now.:siren:

Density
Nov 12, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'd like to congratulate bug_squash on winning the 90 turn game 5_min_no_rush. He played very well and deserved the win. We did have one good battle that wasn't a total one turn stomp and I'm going to post some screens here. Behold, the battle of umidor:

A bunch of fire astral and air mages with their ice lancers, fire snakes and archer friends facing off against a few starets and vampire lords:

The lance charge died instantly to the ice elemental and skeletons. Some archers moved out front and got routed by spooky skeletons.

Starets do nothing useful because I am awful at this game and the skeletons are being killed at a quick pace by the fire snakes and elementals. Situation is starting to look terrible!

The enemy is at the back lines. Archers ran out of arrows and are charging the skeletons.

The archers are routed, but the starets are all dead. The vampire lord and his vampire allies valiantly kill all elementals that trample their way into their formation. Fortunetely the archers chain rout their mage friends and all magic units disintegrate.

The vampire lord that ended up winning the battle. Didn't even get any experience stars to show for this win.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

What I expected to happen:
Lancer fly in and kill 4 or 5 vampires before running, then elementals and fire arrows mop up. Instead they decided that it was much more important to attack skeleton chaff.

All the fleeing troops went to hold up the wall on the fort of the final throne while I claimed it, so it was technically a strategic victory. Still... :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
So, I got this on the steam sale

Looks like the most complex game ever. I dont what what to do with it

• Locked thread