Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

sanguine armour is a scales mutation iirc, and yeah it was added pretty recently!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

IronicDongz posted:

Well, this is new. Dunno if it's a scales facet or tier 2.

Blood armour is loving awesome, but a real hubris trap. At full power, it gives you +9 AC once you take about 50% damage. An orc warrior who's beating on you suddenly just plinks off of your blood armour.

Do not get excited and take on an entire welcoming committee in spider's nest, because you feel invincible when you're injured, though. I hear... you know, from a friend who's not me, that that's really dumb.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Full power is +12! It's a really good scales mutation.

Also another reason to be sad when you inevitably get rough black scales instead, aka the worst scales mut.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

Darox posted:

Full power is +12! It's a really good scales mutation.

Also another reason to be sad when you inevitably get rough black scales instead, aka the worst scales mut.

It's just -3 Dex, Chei makes that irrelevant!

dpeg
Jul 18, 2008
As far as I see it, you should never go to SA to look out for useful feedback or even interesting ideas; I certainly don't
Stringofletters: Is that yours? If so, would you mind sending me a copy for the art collection?

Amazing piece of art!

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Yeah I love rough black scales, actually. I will always take the trade of -3 dex for +10 armor.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
The worst demonic mutations are those that make you lose body slots.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Someone Awful! posted:

sanguine armour is a scales mutation iirc, and yeah it was added pretty recently!

Is this another China mieville reference, like ghost moths?

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

jon joe posted:

The worst demonic mutations are those that make you lose body slots.

You're guaranteed to get one of those, and sometimes you get monstrous and get extra ones. Either way you still get the same number and quality of non-body slot mutations.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

The worst demonic mutation is hellfire because it always arrives way too late to be useful. Also it makes me hope I'm getting ignite blood, a sweet mutation I never receive.

IronicDongz posted:

Yeah I love rough black scales, actually. I will always take the trade of -3 dex for +10 armor.
I'd rather have +8 for nothing!

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007

PleasingFungus posted:

crawl communities

SA: hates malmut, loves crabs
Korea: hates ???, loves Yred
Tavern: hates food, loves ???
Wordpress: hates removals, loves mountain dwarves

I think we also hate bees and shrikes? Idk for sure, I can't keep up.

Replace malmutate with "crab-form other'

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Bees are cool it's D1 jackal packs that get a 2 page rant every month or so

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I got a d1 gnoll with a venom halberd just recently lol. before I was past level 1.

yeah an enemy that can 2-hit me isn't quite enough, also give it reaching and venom please. (I suicided on him because gently caress trying to play around that)

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Someone Awful! posted:

also I'm glad to see more new vaults being added! is vault-making complicated? is there a tutorial anywhere?

You can get pretty fancy with it, but the basics aren't too bad. It's the best documented part of crawl dev (probably start with the introduction file, which is more or less a tutorial?), and making a simple vault doesn't take too long. Vault-making doesn't require you to be able to compile the game, either; vaults are reloaded every time the game starts, so you can edit to your hearts delight on a local copy of the game without needing the source.

There's also a visual editor lurking around. It's a little dated (check out those sparkling fountain tiles!), but should probably still make very basic usable vaults.

Eela6 posted:

Is this another China mieville reference, like ghost moths?

I've read most of Mieville's stuff & don't recall anything sanguine armour, though it has been a while... what book was it in?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

I got a d1 gnoll with a venom halberd just recently lol. before I was past level 1.

yeah an enemy that can 2-hit me isn't quite enough, also give it reaching and venom please. (I suicided on him because gently caress trying to play around that)

the way to play around that is to take the stairs down and not come back

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
D:1 adders are straight up bullshit and its basically rolling the dice on whether or not they kill you.

loving adders.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Yup, and with speed 13, a bit hard to run away from...

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

Internet Kraken posted:

D:1 adders are straight up bullshit and its basically rolling the dice on whether or not they kill you.

loving adders.

This is also true of d:2 adders for some starts.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I dunno why they're called adders, they're best quality is subtracting my life.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
does the hellfire facet still exist? if damnation has been divorced conceptually from fire, i mean

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

PleasingFungus posted:

I've read most of Mieville's stuff & don't recall anything sanguine armour, though it has been a while... what book was it in?

In "the scar" , Bellis attends a ritual combat / gladiator event with a battle between scabmetters, who cut themselves open in order to make armor out of their rapidly coagulating blood.

edit: PS, thanks for communicating with us on SA about crawl development. It's good to know someone is listening. :)

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

We could have gotten this tile for Lerny... but we didn't. :rip:

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

quick question: if Dithmenos' shadow mimic melee is an unbranded +0 weapon of your wielded type, how does that interact with claws 3 unarmed?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
dancing with death on the edge of gastronok LoS

a rare "venom mage reasons" post(simultaneously, a "tengu unreasons" post)

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Shields have no bearing on stealth right?

IronicDongz posted:

dancing with death on the edge of gastronok LoS

a rare "venom mage reasons" post(simultaneously, a "tengu unreasons" post)

Yeah you probably shouldn't fly when kiting Gastronok. He's pretty safe to whittle down with poison but flying means his airstike can potentially OHKO you.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I tend to forget that airstrike works that way until I get slapped with it, since nothing else really punishes flying in that way.

also in tengu unreasons:

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jun 23, 2016

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004
I no longer believe in the greater purpose.

Eela6 posted:

In "the scar" , Bellis attends a ritual combat / gladiator event with a battle between scabmetters, who cut themselves open in order to make armor out of their rapidly coagulating blood.

Sanguine Armour is a suggestion for Ds mutations I made eons ago on the dev wiki and forgot about (along with several other less-good ideas). I mentioned them recently and PF liked Sanguine Armour enough to implement. I don't remember exactly what the inspiration was, but I have read "The Scar", and now that I think about it, I suspect the scabmettlers actually were a big inspiration for it. (Possibly with a little something from Vampire: the Requiem thrown in too.)

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
much is explained!

also, i give sanguine armour about a 50/50 chance of making it into the next release, so don't get too attached to it just yet.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004
I no longer believe in the greater purpose.

PleasingFungus posted:

much is explained!

also, i give sanguine armour about a 50/50 chance of making it into the next release, so don't get too attached to it just yet.

But it's already attached to me *peels off giant scab*

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

IronicDongz posted:

I tend to forget that airstrike works that way until I get slapped with it, since nothing else really punishes flying in that way.

also in tengu unreasons:

This is more of a reason to not gently caress with Yiuf.

Chaos is not a nice brand to toy with.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Entropic weavers are surprisingly nasty. :saddowns:

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Eating purples is fun, clearly I should ditch Chei for Jiyva and embrace being a supermutant.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Nanomashoes posted:

Eating purples is fun, clearly I should ditch Chei for Jiyva and embrace being a supermutant.

really the problem with going jiyva IMO is that you don't get to keep your mutations long enough to really enjoy them, especially the jiyva-specific ones. overall she's pretty boring and lackluster, though slimify is definitely useful at times....

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders
Jiyva's selling point is definitely slimify, if you want a good mutation roulette Xom is significantly better.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Finally got a VpWz to Lair:8, lets see what cool loot I can fi-

quote:

Rupert, wielding a triple sword of holy wrath

:yikes:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Internet Kraken posted:

Finally got a VpWz to Lair:8, lets see what cool loot I can fi-

:yikes:
Time to go blood hunting, I guess.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

I don't remember most of the Jivya specific mutations but I do remember that golden eyes is really really good if you get level 3. If Jivya reliably gave you their goodmuts to keep they would be good. Also if they didn't swap your stats based on very dubious logic.

Poison Mushroom posted:

Time to go blood hunting, I guess.

Vampires are always undead no matter how much blood they have, and thus always unholy.

It's a major downside of vampires in extended (besides the lack of drinks), they have living vulnerabilities and undead vulnerabilities at the same time. Gloorx can be especially nasty.
Or you can go bloodless for the torment resistance and be a kinda lovely lich/deep dwarf hybrid.

e: Actually I guess in recent times the lack of drinks has lessened. Anubis guards, doom hounds, shard shrikes, iron giants. It's still not great in Tomb/Hells but at least it's not totally dry.

Darox fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jun 23, 2016

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

So is running away the only real option when playing a HEFE and facing iron golems without OOD?

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I want to defend Tengus from Ironic's posts, but I really can't. I kill so many of the squishy bastards.

They still my favorite race as their apts match my playstyle a bunch and the innate fly with bonuses rock, but being as fragile as a DE or an Ko is vicious sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
You could probably kill them with iron shot. Or nice summons or something. They have 15 AC, which is more than most monsters but you don't need insane damage to kill them

World Famous W posted:

I want to defend Tengus from Ironic's posts, but I really can't. I kill so many of the squishy bastards.

They still my favorite race as their apts match my playstyle a bunch and the innate fly with bonuses rock, but being as fragile as a DE or an Ko is vicious sometimes.
I do like playing them, the HP is just rough. It's nice to get what's basically innate boots of running eventually and +3 conj is great(but if you gently caress up before you can take advantage of these things it's real easy to die fast)

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jun 23, 2016

• Locked thread