Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

You guys are idiots. Everyone knows our faux government (AKA: The United States of Corruption), mass media, and 7/11s are all control by the Stone Masons, who in turn ruled by a secret cabal of Illuminati, who in turn have been bought out by the corporations. Get a clue sheepeople.

Seriously though, anyone who say we were involved in the Ukraine protests either thinks we're all-powerful and is really over estimating us in a, frankly, very flattering way, or they don't understand how very little we cared about Ukraine by the time the protests were over. The only reason we started working with Ukraine (in a strictly training capacity) is because Russia toke an interest in what was happening afterwards.

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jun 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
I just had a friend come back from teaching in Brazil and the domestic opinions there are frighteningly similar with regards to Oliver Stone and the other skeptics.

He said that in Brazil some think that Zika is just a Western Propaganda Campaign aimed at destroying Brazil's economy, by reducing tourism. The Dilma coup is backed by the CIA to install Capitalists. The Olympics are a Jewish-Western banking scheme to launder money nationally.

Every single word could be exchanged for Ukraine and the Maiden Revolution and it would seem just as legitimate. I mean of course the U.S destabilized Brazil to ensure American economic hegemony. Of course the U.S is the singular source of all Russian opposition in Europe and none of it is local.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Lol if you think the illuminati will stay bought with the reptilians breathing down their necks. Who do you think is doing Brexit?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Aliens. They don't really understand how all the other secret societies work, sadly.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Arglebargle III posted:

To be fair a bunch of European leaders visited Kiev to show support for the protests and it was a huge PR blunder and gift to the Russians/Donbass Reverse Revanchists. Europe was rhetorically on the side of the Maidan at the very least.

Yes, and the US ambassador and his staff gave some cookies to protesters and John McCain (notable for being the head of the CIA, apparently) lobbied for supporting the Maidan more directly. International diplomacy is now verboten if it hurts the feelings of Russian people.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gaj posted:

I just had a friend come back from teaching in Brazil and the domestic opinions there are frighteningly similar with regards to Oliver Stone and the other skeptics.

He said that in Brazil some think that Zika is just a Western Propaganda Campaign aimed at destroying Brazil's economy, by reducing tourism. The Dilma coup is backed by the CIA to install Capitalists. The Olympics are a Jewish-Western banking scheme to launder money nationally.

Every single word could be exchanged for Ukraine and the Maiden Revolution and it would seem just as legitimate. I mean of course the U.S destabilized Brazil to ensure American economic hegemony. Of course the U.S is the singular source of all Russian opposition in Europe and none of it is local.

The funny part is that all those statements are true.

Flocons de Jambon
Apr 11, 2015
McCain didn't just lobby for supporting Maidan. He went on stage with the leader of Svboda and said to the crowd "America is with you". Ukraine had a democratically elected government and, at that point, hadn't taken any action against the "protesters" more harsh than what other countries took against, say, anti-globalization protestors.

At the same time Victoria Nuland told Yanukovych the US wouldn't accept anything less than IMF reforms.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I consider that US involvement.

Amusingly, when Right Sector tried to storm the parliament last year they weren't called "protesters" in the west anymore.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Flocons de Jambon posted:

McCain didn't just lobby for supporting Maidan. He went on stage with the leader of Svboda and said to the crowd "America is with you". Ukraine had a democratically elected government and, at that point, hadn't taken any action against the "protesters" more harsh than what other countries took against, say, anti-globalization protestors.

John McCain can do whatever he wants, not being a member of the executive branch of US government, it doesn't bear any more weight than his personal prestige can grant.

Russia is member of the IMF. So is any country of note. IMF reform is a US scheme, though. I see. Meanwhile nobody is concerned by Russia using their petroleum and gas dominance to extort Ukraine politically, and to ruin her through state-sanctioned corruption.

Ukraine had a democratically elected government, that was democratically voted out of office by its own majority party, so I imagine you wouldn't have a problem with that. Also the measure of actual democracy is not being able to vote a government in, it's the ability to get rid of it by a popular decision.

So in summary, routine day to day diplomatic and trade relations between states that occur under all circumstances are construed as power-grabbing moves triggered by the maidan.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jun 22, 2016

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Well, obviously, protestors (scaryqotes!) don't have free will, why would anyone want to turn their gaze away from the shining bod of Putin and deny the god-given Russian sphere of influence.

It is hard to deny the US/EU interest in Ukraine, but the degree of involvement in Maidan is vastly overstated, which leads to Oliver Stone and his :supaburn: CIA fingerprints :supaburn: garbage.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Amusingly, when Right Sector tried to storm the parliament last year they weren't called "protesters" in the west anymore.
At Maidan they were called protestors because that is what they were, until the FSB Berkut started murdering them in the streets.

At Maidan police took lethal action against the protestors before anything turned violent. (water cannons in sub-zero weather are deadly.) Even when the protests did turn into a riot, sending paramilitaries to gun down the mob is hardly a justified escalation.

ass struggle fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Jun 22, 2016

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Nuland said "gently caress the EU", that was clearly an order for Ukraine to have (metaphorical) intercourse with the European Union, meaning take part in it. Clearly that's how Euromaidan is a CIA plot. They want Ukrainians to enter the gigantic non-stop orgy that is the EU (named after the disgusted reaction any sane and moral person would have to this amount of perverse debauchery: ee-yew!) to further the homonazi agenda. Soon everyone will be mass-gay-married to everyone else of the same sex, and this will lead to the genocide of the white race as men will no longer copulate with women, allowing the lesser races such as mosselmen Arabs to take over. This is part of the Jewish plot to control the entire world, because the dim-witted Arabs are easier to control than the proud Aryans.

Sounds legit.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

slavatuvs posted:

At Maidan they were called protestors because that is what they were, until the FSB Berkut started murdering them in the streets.

At Maidan police took lethal action against the protestors before anything turned violent. (water cannons in sub-zero weather are deadly.) Even when the protests did turn into a riot, sending paramilitaries to gun down the mob is hardly a justified escalation.

Please focus on the Right Sector, not on the plain-clothes mobsters hired by Yanukovich to fire live ammo into crowds from behind police lines.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

At the same time Victoria Nuland told Yanukovych the US wouldn't accept anything less than IMF reforms.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I consider that US involvement.

If McCain had any control over US foreign policy, the US government would be using the word "gooks" in conversation with the Vietnamese rather than selling them weapons.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

McCain is a soon to be ex senator from Arizona who happens to run his own foreign policy institute. When he went to Kyiv he was not representing the United States, but his own war hawk foreign policy institute.

Flocons de Jambon
Apr 11, 2015
"Dear people of the Maidan. Though I may appear to be a US government representative I'm only here as a private citizen, in fact our government has special executive branch that handles foreign relations. So when I say 'America is with you' in a few seconds it is only a wistful sentiment, not to interpreted as support in any way."

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
"No no no. The US government is a seamless apparatus that runs with the lockstep unison of a clock."
\
Someone really keyed into American politics.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

"Dear people of the Maidan. Though I may appear to be a US government representative I'm only here as a private citizen, in fact our government has special executive branch that handles foreign relations. So when I say 'America is with you' in a few seconds it is only a wistful sentiment, not to interpreted as support in any way."

Yes, that is literally what happened. While he's a senator, he was not sent by the United States as far as I'm aware and he has no special relationship with Ukraine that would result in him being chosen by the government to represent the United States there. John McCain doesn't represent a fictional "US involvement in the Maidan" any more than I would if I flew to Kyiv and started throwing Molotovs.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I guess by this logic the rest of the world needs to consider Vladimir Zhirinovsky's statements the official Russian governments position.

Seems a weird choice to want to make, but I don't decide the rules in Eastern Europe.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

lol, so I guess every single one of Zhirinovsky's batshit insane comments is in fact representative of Russian government's official policies? Because VZ and McCain have about the same status in their political systems. That's wild! (I know you'll answer they are not, because unlike Amerikkans, Russians do not deserve to be un-peopled and turned into a hive mind)

E: gently caress you, guy above me!

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

McCain certainly wanted to give the impression that he was representing the US government and did nothing to dissuade opinions to that effect. It's unfortunate that some people were duped into thinking that was actually the case, as he was not on any official mission and was visiting in his own capacity. It was irresponsible of McCain to do that, but no one could stop him.

It's exactly as meaningful as if I had been at the rally saying those words instead. Except I'm a nobody and would not give anyone the impression of actual US involvement.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Even if we assume US involvement - without considering if that might or might not have been a smart move -, how does that make them directly responsible for the violent protests? I assume the conspiracy theory is that they directly provoked violent action? Hidden CIA snipers etc. etc.?

Because if McCain really did speak for the US government - doubtful? -, it still sounds like lobbying, certainly nothing coercive.

Maybe I'm just attributing too much Ukraine self-determination here, I don't know the details of this conspiracy theory...

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

No Eastern European country has self-determination except for Russia. All others are US/NATO pig-dog pawns being used to oppress Russians.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
A reminder btw that the original post that started this discussion was:

Cat Mattress posted:

So Oliver Stone is making a movie to reveal that the Maidan upraising of Ukraine was staged by the CIA to put in power a bunch of homonazis and that only Putin's manly arms are defending freedom and civilization. Wake up, sheeple!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVdvp188rk4

Even if McCain was personally ordered by Obama to go to Maidan and spread word of America's support, that still hardly counts as "Maidan was staged by the CIA".

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Skeesix posted:

If McCain had any control over US foreign policy, the US government would be using the word "gooks" in conversation with the Vietnamese rather than selling them weapons.

Uh McCain was critical to softening relations with Vietnam, what an unbelievably ignorant comment.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

DrProsek posted:

Even if McCain was personally ordered by Obama to go to Maidan and spread word of America's support, that still hardly counts as "Maidan was staged by the CIA".

Well, maybe Mustafa Naiem is a CIA agent. And we all know that Facebook was a CIA project. Just like Netflix was secretly setup by the US government!

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

OddObserver posted:

Well, maybe Mustafa Naiem is a CIA agent. And we all know that Facebook was a CIA project. Just like Netflix was secretly setup by the US government!

Don't forget Google Earth was funded by the CIA, and we all know who uses Google Earth a lot in their work.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Gaj posted:

You'd think people would focus on all the actual lovely stuff the West does because it's not like there's a shortage of that rather than going for fictional stuff. I guess it's the same as with conspiracy theorists in general, where they will come up with all these wild theories but doggedly ignore real conspiracies.

Brown Moses posted:

Don't forget Google Earth was funded by the CIA, and we all know who uses Google Earth a lot in their work.
Kinda tangentially related, but when a commercial company posted this image of the latest Falcon 9 landing attempt 40 minutes after the fact, it occurred to me we seem to be inching closer and closer to military-style, fast response satellite imagery in the civilian realm. I imagine it still costs a bunch though.

Elukka fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jun 22, 2016

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Belarus will denominate their currency effective July 1, 2016. Every 10,000 br of the old money will be worth 1 br of the new money. Belarusians will also have coins again.

http://udf.by/english/main-story/130149-belarus-to-have-denomination-with-new-rubles-and-kopeks-photo.html

quote:

Belarus to have denomination with new rubles and kopeks

On July 1, 2016 Belarus will have a denomination of the Belarusian ruble. The decree was signed on November 4 by Aliaksandr Lukashenka.

According to the press service of the National Bank of Belarus, the denomination will be carried out by replacing the banknotes of 2000 for banknotes and coins of 2009 in a ratio of 10,000 "old" rubles to 1 "new" ruble. This means that the current 100 rubles will be replaced by 1 kopek.

Earlier, Aliaksandr Lukashenka said that the new money was printed already six years ago and is waiting for its time (see. Video).

The National Bank has announced that there will be seven denominations - 5, 10, 20, 50, 100, 200 and 500 rubles, eight denominations of coins - 1, 2, 5, 10, 20 and 50 kopeks, and 1 and 2 rubles.

It is noted that each banknote corresponds to one of the regions of Belarus and Minsk. The new money will have the signature of the former head of the National Bank Piotr Prakapovich (the money was printed when he was the Chairman).

From July 1, 2016 to December 31, 2016 the "old" and "new" money will be in parallel circulation. For five years the bills of 2000 will be exchanged for the bills of 2009. For details, see here.

After denomination, if the dollar rate remains at today's level - one dollar will cost 1.75 rubles. And the largest denomination of 500 rubles will cost $285. Now the biggest denomination of 200 thousand is worth 11.5 dollars.

As this is scheduled to happen a mere 48 hours before the country's main national holiday on July 3, it will of course go smoothly and people will be able to use credit and debit cards with ease.

e: almost forgot to include this is a CIA plot too, to bring economic panic to Belarus and allow NATO and the EU to blah blah blah.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jun 22, 2016

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

tsa posted:

Uh McCain was critical to softening relations with Vietnam, what an unbelievably ignorant comment.

SA poster tsa reveals: Vietnam a poisoned dagger in American hand, pointed at the heart of China

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Elukka posted:

Kinda tangentially related, but when a commercial company posted this image of the latest Falcon 9 landing attempt 40 minutes after the fact, it occurred to me we seem to be inching closer and closer to military-style, fast response satellite imagery in the civilian realm. I imagine it still costs a bunch though.

There's going to be an ever increasing number of commercial satellites being launched, some with video as well as still images, so prices will drop and make it more accessible. The biggest limitation beyond that is regulations on the resolution of commerical imagery, but I expect that will improve as demand increases.

Speaking of Google Earth, they've just updated a bunch of imagery related to MH17 locations, including a better view of the truck transporting the Buk on July 17th, which we wrote up here
https://www.bellingcat.com/news/uk-and-europe/2016/06/22/new-google-earth-satellite-update-confirms-presence-of-buk-in-eastern-ukraine/

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

e: almost forgot to include this is a CIA plot too, to bring economic panic to Belarus and allow NATO and the EU to blah blah blah.

Those banknotes and the 2R coin look a lot like Euros, I'd start mobilizing right away.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

SA poster tsa reveals: Vietnam a poisoned dagger in American hand, pointed at the heart of China

CIA playing the long game; we'll see who really wins the Vietnam War in the end. :smug:

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

Those banknotes and the 2R coin look a lot like Euros, I'd start mobilizing right away.

Good thing Russia just so happens to be building a military base in Klintsy, Bryansk region right now, will be ready by August 1. Only 119 km away from Gomel.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jun 22, 2016

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Belarusians will also have coins again.

Goondolences. I loved the period where I could buy and sell everything with zero use of coins where I live. I hate coins so much I use my debit card for everything now.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Truga posted:

Goondolences. I loved the period where I could buy and sell everything with zero use of coins where I live. I hate coins so much I use my debit card for everything now.

Some time ago I found 300 Tolarjev in one of my drawer, still haven't decided what to do with such untold riches. Google tells me it's €1.25 as of today.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Truga posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttx-GfyaNKQ

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Elukka posted:

You'd think people would focus on all the actual lovely stuff the West does because it's not like there's a shortage of that rather than going for fictional stuff. I guess it's the same as with conspiracy theorists in general, where they will come up with all these wild theories but doggedly ignore real conspiracies.[...]

Well that's because actual conspiracies are usually boring because someone eventually fucks up or spills the beans, then everyone learns about them, there's articles and news and sometimes even trials.

Conspiracy nuts need endless conspiracies that only they can figure out and know about/believe in, vs. the general population and the "establishment" not seeing through the veil or being complicit in the conspiracy in the first place.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Belarus will denominate their currency effective July 1, 2016. Every 10,000 br of the old money will be worth 1 br of the new money. Belarusians will also have coins again.

http://udf.by/english/main-story/130149-belarus-to-have-denomination-with-new-rubles-and-kopeks-photo.html

As this is scheduled to happen a mere 48 hours before the country's main national holiday on July 3, it will of course go smoothly and people will be able to use credit and debit cards with ease.

Those banknotes are super ugly and boring.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

:dogbutton: Yeah, that does look almost as bad as coins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Tevery Best posted:

Those banknotes are super ugly and boring.
They should just have screengrabs from Come and See for all their banknotes. :black101: