Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
What is this light? A sign from Heaven?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

there's an addon for the map that lets you place a marker for your teammates to see, i assume that's it

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
Finally got my (pointless) rank 1, it is appropriate that the final game involved getting downed after I hit the last generator and playing along with a boosting killer b/c there were two ragequits and he couldn't get the points necessary otherwise

I can stop engaging with the rank system at all until it is fixed now which is nice

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015
There's a new patch but it's only 832 bytes and steam is just throwing a fit when I try to do anything on it to find out what it was.

The Entity is a good thing, without it leveling would take forever. Most people go for the perk and the mystery box first. You should always grab perks even if they're bad, cause they'll keep showing up if you don't.

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

The update set me back to year zero on progress. I mean I was a rank 18 shitter but a warning would have been nice.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mister Bup posted:

There's a new patch but it's only 832 bytes and steam is just throwing a fit when I try to do anything on it to find out what it was.

The Entity is a good thing, without it leveling would take forever. Most people go for the perk and the mystery box first. You should always grab perks even if they're bad, cause they'll keep showing up if you don't.

Yeah, I was in the practice of beelining for the perk even before the Entity started showing up. After getting it and the box I either go for stuff I want (whether because it could be useful or because I don't have that particular thing yet and am a mad collector) or whatever's cheapest to get the Entity devouring things I don't care about so I level up sooner, depending on what's there.

As for the patch, I have one too but it's 150.4 MB, not 832 B. Quite a bit different, to say the least. Anyone know what it does?

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jun 22, 2016

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Roland Jones posted:

As for the patch, I have one too but it's 150.4 MB, not 832 B. Quite a bit different, to say the least. Anyone know what it does?

It's the Artbook and OST, sorry Goons no balance patch yet.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well, the artbook is interesting. Gives the Hillbilly a name (Max Thompson), and interestingly seems to suggest that the Wraith wasn't originally tied to Autohaven; there's art in here of stuff for a swamp level, as well as some other art things that link him to the swamp rather than the auto yard. He also doesn't have a real name linked to his concept art the way the other two do; whereas they're Max Thompson and Evan Macmillan, he's just "The Wraith". It explains why he's got that weird mud and twigs look to his head and doesn't really seem to fit into the auto yard's theme at all; he wasn't designed for it, but while he made it into the game his level did not. Since the other two characters are explicitly linked to the other two levels they had to write up something to connect him with the yard (or at least take a different, unused killer's story and make it apply to him instead), though, hence his story being kind of odd compared to the other two (how his weapon was "made" is really silly).

Besides implying why the Wraith doesn't match "his" level at all, there's just some nice art in here. Lot of neat stuff. I hope some of the alternate designs make it into the game as costume options eventually; some of them are pretty neat.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jun 22, 2016

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

Roland Jones posted:

Well, the artbook is interesting. Gives the Hillbilly a name (Max Thompson), and interestingly seems to suggest that the Wraith wasn't originally tied to Autohaven; there's art in here of stuff for a swamp level, as well as some other art things that link him to the swamp rather than the auto yard. He also doesn't have a real name linked to his concept art the way the other two do; whereas they're Max Thompson and Evan Macmillan, he's just "The Wraith". It explains why he's got that weird mud and twigs look to his head and doesn't really seem to fit into the auto yard's theme at all; he wasn't designed for it, but while he made it into the game his level did not. Since the other two characters are explicitly linked to the other two levels they had to write up something to connect him with the yard (or at least take a different, unused killer's story and make it apply to him instead), though, hence his story being kind of odd compared to the other two (how his weapon was "made" is really silly).

Besides implying why the Wraith doesn't match "his" level at all, there's just some nice art in here. Lot of neat stuff. I hope some of the alternate designs make it into the game as costume options eventually; some of them are pretty neat.

The Wraith's name is Phlip Ojomo.

http://www.deadbydaylight.com/manual/killers/

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

I don't think you actually read what I wrote, because I addressed that (I talked about the story you're linking there and even referenced a specific part of it). However, again, in the art book he is left unnamed while the other two have their names listed there, and other art in the book seems to tie him to a swamp level that was never made, not the auto yard. So, again, the Wraith was designed for a thing that did not make it into the final game and they gave him a different story, but did not redesign the entire character, hence him looking entirely out of place for the auto yard and his weapon's creation being really silly.

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

My bad then.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
No problem. Sorry for getting testy there.

All that said, I do like the story of Ojomo, weird "rip the head and spine out of his boss's body while it's being crushed" bit aside. All three killers vary in levels of initial evil, so to speak, but Ojomo is actually innocent right up until he learns he's been used, snaps, and throws Asarov into the crusher (which, really, he deserved); some of the lore elsewhere references some of the Entity's killers not being evil to start with but rather being corrupted by it over time, and Ojomo seems to have been one like that. Killing Asarov let the Entity get its hooks into him, and then it twisted and tormented him until he became a monster. (The hillbilly, meanwhile, started out an innocent kid but was crazy by the time he escaped and was probably easy pickings for the Entity then, and MacMillan was a monster from the start and honestly probably did more damage alive than he does "now" as the Entity's servant.)

I hope that they eventually add in the swamp and a new killer, then give that killer the auto yard connection and Ojomo's story and give the Wraith a more appropriate one for that weird thing. (I really love its design and such; whereas the Trapper is a hulking brute and the Hillbilly is also pretty muscular, the Wraith is pretty tall and thin and has a considerably different stance that adds to its inhuman feel.) Though, hm, a swamp would probably make for a really nasty level.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jun 22, 2016

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015
I thought the entire journal was really bad, and I actually like the killers less now that I know where they're from. Your imagination is always scarier than what the writer can think up.

Sporkie
Jun 1, 2009
Man, a bit of newbie survivor salt, but the last few rounds on this have been brutal for me. I'm starting to feel like the killers have a special 'see me' vision. I understand the concept of the scratches when you sprint, move away when you pop a generator, all that jazz... But I can't juke for poo poo, and I know it, and it's lead to me dying before 5 minutes are up three times in a row now. Had no luck with window jumps recently either, feels like it's a guaranteed hit now if I hop one with the killer anywhere near me, even if I'm all the way through it that little split second of recovery time after going over means I just know the next second a machete/hammer/skull scythe thing is gonna flash through and whack me in the back of the head. Frustration!

'Course, I know it all just comes down to the fact I'm a newbie and suck, but still!

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I think they could have done more than "and then the Entity drove them crazy", but the back stories were kind of neat. Ultimately they are just spooky dudes with weird shiny eyes, so that is how you will really think of them.

Sporkie posted:

Man, a bit of newbie survivor salt, but the last few rounds on this have been brutal for me. I'm starting to feel like the killers have a special 'see me' vision. I understand the concept of the scratches when you sprint, move away when you pop a generator, all that jazz... But I can't juke for poo poo, and I know it, and it's lead to me dying before 5 minutes are up three times in a row now. Had no luck with window jumps recently either, feels like it's a guaranteed hit now if I hop one with the killer anywhere near me, even if I'm all the way through it that little split second of recovery time after going over means I just know the next second a machete/hammer/skull scythe thing is gonna flash through and whack me in the back of the head. Frustration!

'Course, I know it all just comes down to the fact I'm a newbie and suck, but still!

The monster can run faster than you but not by much. Sometimes you are better off just standing still in a defensible position and juking when he picks an attack vector rather than just running for it. You will get better over time.

And sometimes you just have a string of bad luck in matches where the killer sees you first and has an insane attachment to killing you, only you, so help you god. It's just the nature of the game.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jun 22, 2016

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mister Bup posted:

I thought the entire journal was really bad, and I actually like the killers less now that I know where they're from. Your imagination is always scarier than what the writer can think up.

The game's lore is actually kind of hilarious to me in that nearly everything that you'd otherwise chalk up to game mechanics is justified in it. Like, it's not explicitly presented as such, but reading it everything from why the generators work to open gates they have no connection to or any reason to power (I actually really like this one; the Entity made the fake nightmare world they're in, but as it doesn't understand reality its imitation is flawed), to why the survivors don't die to things like getting chainsawed and such, and even the characters going through things again and again despite escaping or dying has an in-universe reason. It actually winds up being a bit grim in some places (the survivors are canonically never, ever going to really escape and are just going to keep running, hiding, and dying over and over again until they break), but, yeah.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I think they could have done more than "and then the Entity drove them crazy", but the back stories were kind of neat. Ultimately they are just spooky dudes with weird shiny eyes, so that is how you will really think of them.

Yeah, I'm fine with them too. And despite having been written in large part to justify the game itself I think the rest of the lore isn't too bad either. I've seen worse in actual horror stories and movies and such, at least.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

The monster can run faster than you but not by much. Sometimes you are better off just standing still in a defensible position and juking when he picks an attack vector rather than just running for it. You will get better over time.

And sometimes you just have a string of bad luck in matches where the killer sees you first and has an insane attachment to killing you, only you, so help you god. It's just the nature of the game.

In addition to this, I've had some success juking towards the killer as he gets close, running past him as he swings at empty air. I find that taking advantage of your free view and looking back to monitor the killer as you run helps a lot sometimes, too. Your third-person view is a pretty huge boon; take full advantage of it.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jun 22, 2016

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Yeah I thought the explanation for why the mechanics work the way they do was a pretty clever handwave for why the whole thing is kind of nonsensical. Of course you have to stand at a switch and hold it down to open the gate. Of course four untrained people can "repair" generators by reaching inside and messing with it until it is fixed. The Entity saw it in a movie once so it's how life works in his world.

Horror writing is and always will be some of the worst just because it is a very complex genre that people try to just no-effort. That is why there are ten thousand horror movies and ten worth watching.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The actual, canonical explanation is that the Entity just doesn't get reality and makes up whatever it doesn't understand. Like, the actual passage that indirectly justifies things like the generator weirdness is as follows:

quote:

The Entity builds a reflection of the real world in its construct to confuse the survivors. Unable to really understand the true nature of the world it touches, it tries to replicate it as best it can, although it never quite gets it right. As a result, the world is an ever changing nightmarish fusion of familiar and strange elements as the Entity makes up what it cannot comprehend.

I unironically love some bits of the game's lore, and this is one of them. Not for horror reasons, but, it's both actually kind of clever and is rather amusing to me, though it does fit an extradimensional, fear-eating monstrosity.

Sporkie
Jun 1, 2009
Thanks for the tips guys, I was mostly just venting after a couple rough rounds. Needed somewhere to bitch about the game and all. I'll try to remember that, and like I said, I mostly know it's just me being terrible. I'll keep trying!

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Another interesting bit is that the Entity does actually give the survivors a fighting chance. He doesn't *have* to put item-containing crates or path-blocking pallets in the map, but he does anyway to give the survivors hope. Can't have fear without hope.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sporkie posted:

Thanks for the tips guys, I was mostly just venting after a couple rough rounds. Needed somewhere to bitch about the game and all. I'll try to remember that, and like I said, I mostly know it's just me being terrible. I'll keep trying!

Some more tips, try to move erratically and unpredictably; the killer is faster so if you take too simple of a route, even with vaulting and such, the killer may preempt you and you'll find yourself running face-first into them.

Also, on my earlier thing about juking towards the killer, it works best when you do it when they're almost to you so they don't have much time to react, and also doesn't work well when used repeatedly; whenever I've done it, it almost always works the first time, but if I have to keep trying because I haven't managed to really escape then by the third time I almost always get smacked for my efforts. It's a way to buy time, but unless the killer is awful you can't keep it up forever.

Don't underestimate the value of not running, if you hear the killer approaching but they don't know quite where you are, on a tangent; if you can get somewhere you aren't immediately visible and stay still, you can frequently watch the killer walk right by you without even realizing you're there. If you need to move to a hiding spot, don't sprint; sprinting leaves big glowing marks the killer can follow for a few seconds, so it's not an ideal way of getting around unless you know the killer is nowhere nearby or you need to use it. For relocating because you know the killer is coming, walk to your hiding spot instead.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Another interesting bit is that the Entity does actually give the survivors a fighting chance. He doesn't *have* to put item-containing crates or path-blocking pallets in the map, but he does anyway to give the survivors hope. Can't have fear without hope.

Yeah, it needs to crush their hopes to feed, so it has to create the illusion of a chance. They can't actually escape; they were doomed the moment they entered the Entity's dimension, but they don't know that so it can just let them keep running and such until they eventually break down.

It also actually keeps them alive because it feeds best from the sacrifice. That's why the killers can only actually kill them directly with an offering; it letting them personally murder the survivors is a reward it gives them for service to it, but otherwise something it doesn't care to allow.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jun 22, 2016

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Sprinting is also bad because if you do something like vault a window then you will do a "fast vault" and give an indicator on his screen, which is a dead giveaway.

Don't be the guy that sprints into the hiding closet either. You breathe loudly and you pop a notification as well. Basically only sprint when he is beelining for you.

Sporkie
Jun 1, 2009
Yeah, I watched enough LPs to know not to sprint blindly and constantly since that makes the scratches show up and all. And honestly I don't trust those closets at all... Alien Isolation taught me they are death traps, and to be avoided.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sporkie posted:

Yeah, I watched enough LPs to know not to sprint blindly and constantly since that makes the scratches show up and all. And honestly I don't trust those closets at all... Alien Isolation taught me they are death traps, and to be avoided.

I actually get a lot of use out of the closets; if I feel a need to hide and one's nearby (and I'm not injured and thus making a ton of noise just existing) I'll frequently amble over to it and get in. A majority of the time, it works and the killer will pass right by; they generally only check them if you make a noise while getting in (i.e. hold Shift down when getting in) or they have other reasons to suspect you're there. They don't just go and open every closet they see.

Just don't hang out in one too long or crows will come, apparently. Not sure how long that is, though; I haven't seen it happen yet.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Speaking of closets, does anyone know if you always breathe loudly in them, or only when you sprint into them?

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015
I haven't figured out the connection between closets and breathing. I closet at least once almost every game and I've only been caught once.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
I don't use closets since I don't know the distance at which slowly entering a closet is audible and haven't wanted to experiment, but once every wraith is using the 6 meter wallhack they get as an Uncommon addon I'll probably need to, if that addon doesn't trump closets

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015
Rank 2 insidious. The only flaw is that hooking three people in the basement in thirty seconds is pretty much a guaranteed derank.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
Has anyone else seen the crows circle over someone that's camping one spot and doesn't move? I've seen it a few times now and I've got to say it's a pretty cool way to discourage that behavior.

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015
Forever rank 13. Every time I hit rank 12 I get a wave of disconnects and cheese that forces me all the way back to no pips on rank 13.

Sporkie
Jun 1, 2009
After all my survivor bitching, actually tried the killer for a bit and holy crap this is so much fun. Not a fan of the Hillbilly, but the Trapper is just a beast and Wraith is kinda fun. I think I still like survivor more when the round goes decent, but killer gameplay is a blast too. I'm impressed.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord

Sporkie posted:

After all my survivor bitching, actually tried the killer for a bit and holy crap this is so much fun. Not a fan of the Hillbilly, but the Trapper is just a beast and Wraith is kinda fun. I think I still like survivor more when the round goes decent, but killer gameplay is a blast too. I'm impressed.

Just remember, your most important ability as Wraith is to keep tapping m2 over and over again to taunt that last survivor as they're crawling along the ground bleeding out.

NOT TODAY MOTHERFUCKER

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Apparently this is what the developer consider to be a balanced matchmaking game.

Needless to say it was an utter shitshow because all the hooks were disabled lickedy split and people were healing up like crazy.

Sporkie
Jun 1, 2009
Man, at least you had an excuse for a scoreboard like that. First time I've had a really terrible, terrible match like that was against a bunch of 20's. I swear half of them just disappeared with how good at dodging they were. Heh.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Is there a DbD official forums? I've been posting notes on the steam forums and it makes me want to kill myself.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jun 23, 2016

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Starting to get groups of rank 1 fuckers synchdropping.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Quote from forums mod (I assume works for the devs?) on my thread about people putting traps directly at the feet of the hooks, and suggesting they expand the "no hook" area so that you don't immediately land on the trap when you fall, which would encourage smart trapping rather than just sitting it right in front of the hook every single time.

Murf Moderator posted:

Originally posted by Cmdr. Dreamship:
This discourages rescues and teamwork, and completely removes any reason to attempt to pull yourself off a hook since you will instantly be trapped anyways.

Thank you for quantifying the role of the The Trapper. I do not think it could have been put any more succinctly.

So basically that cheap, boring trick is Working As Intended. I don't really know what kind of game the devs are trying to make, honestly. There's all these mechanics around helping your fellow survivors out, and yet they intentionally leave in dumb stuff like that which is anti-competitive.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Quote from forums mod (I assume works for the devs?) on my thread about people putting traps directly at the feet of the hooks, and suggesting they expand the "no hook" area so that you don't immediately land on the trap when you fall, which would encourage smart trapping rather than just sitting it right in front of the hook every single time.

So basically that cheap, boring trick is Working As Intended. I don't really know what kind of game the devs are trying to make, honestly. There's all these mechanics around helping your fellow survivors out, and yet they intentionally leave in dumb stuff like that which is anti-competitive.

Eh, unless the unhook supercedes the disarm I see no problem.

Ok, so you can disarm them under the hook. How the hell is killer supposed to end someone if they unhook and heal faster than you can hit them?

Grognan fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jun 23, 2016

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Grognan posted:

Eh, unless the unhook supercedes the disarm I see no problem.

Ok, so you can disarm them under the hook. How the hell is killer supposed to end someone if they unhook and heal faster than you can hit them?

It can be a bit finicky if you aren't slow and careful with selecting "disarm". I mostly don't like it because

A) It's boring.
B) It's easy and cheap, which means that
C) Everyone does it.

Trapper is most fun to play/play against when he's predicting paths that people will come from and setting up traps accordingly. Setting his traps under the feet of the hook 10 out of 10 times is just dull and predictable, plus it basically means "Sorry person unlucky enough to get caught first, no one is coming for you."

I've spent a lot of time playing trapper and it's super fun having people get caught in traps along juking paths, moving along walls, escape paths, etc. Putting it down in the same place every time is absolutely squandering it.

That being said, the devs apparently completely agree with people's decision to stick to the same dull trick. To quote,

"Nope this is more of a get out alive and if you are able or you choose to help your fellow man do so but don't be surprised if you trying to be nice and compassionate comes back to bite you in the butt. Sure you get more points but do dare risk it?

It's about choice."

So basically they are building the game around only helping if it's overwhelmingly convenient and then just leaving them to die otherwise. I know that I'm just going to start hammering on M1 when I get caught if that's the case then, rather than stick around and wait.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jun 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015
Right now you're not. It's why I don't understand all the crying about hook camping. Even if he does hook camp you have to have some seriously braindead teammates to not get unhooked anyway.

Remember, the unhook animation is faster than your attack recovery. You can walk up, tank a hit, pull the guy off, and run away. Even with insidious there's zero margin for error when it comes to stopping an unhook.

If I manage to get a high rank, basically only possible with a cheeky trap or a chainsaw from downtown, I'm drat sure gonna bodyblock his hook. You don't get a second chance.

• Locked thread