Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Ugh, I gloss-coated my TIE pilot helmet and the finish has developed a sort of crackle in places. Why has this happened and is it fixable?

It's not something I'm desperately concerned about as it's not that noticeable, but it is really loving irritating, especially as it didn't happen on the backplate I used as a test piece for this gloss varnish.

I (thought I) did everything right and it still hosed up D:

E: fixed it with another coat. And a horrible photo jazzed up a bit with IMGUR's editor because I couldn't get the flash to work with the self-timer on my camera arg.

So freaking pleased with this. Ideally I'd add Imperium logo decals to the top of the helmet but I don't want to risk that.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 14:35 on May 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Crackled spray paint can come from a ton of poo poo unfortunately. Humidity levels and how cured the base coat is are big factors but I've also had it where I'm pretty sure 2 paints just reacted poorly when I know the base layer is cured. Such a pain. I basically quit clearcoating pieces if I used a rustoleum primer because it's so unpredictable.

The helmet came out awesome though! The gloss coat looks really nice.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Thanks.

The only genuine problem with it is field of view and mobility of head. If I fix anything before EMF, it'll be the hoses, which are currently stiff electrical conduit, and should be flexible vacuum hose or similar, but I didn't have time to source the right stuff before I needed it finished for UKGE.

And field of view is just dire, worse with the coloured lenses.

The straps are a hilarious bodge made of black duck tape and velcro, but they work... remarkably well actually. To the point where I may not actually replace them once the proper straps arrive.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 17:12 on May 31, 2016

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Little more progress on the Cuirass - It's very slow going, making sure that everything lines up just right. I'm pretty much eyeballing everything as I go, so it's a very step-by-step process. Hopefully I'll be able to have most of it finished tonight, then I can move on to the pauldrons.

EDIT - Got the front side done, took a lot longer than I expected. I spent most of the time adding triangular lengths to the insides of the 'ridges' to fill in the gaps and give the armor a little more structural inegrity, so most of the work isn't really visible. Obviously I'm going to have to spend more time cleaning it up, filling in cracks, etc, but I'm very pleased with the overall shape. Plus, I can exaggerate the ridges when it comes time to paint. On the back side, I'm only going to complete about half of the ridges, as most of it will be covered by the tattered cloak, and I need a part of it to remain flexible, so no polyurethane resin.

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jun 2, 2016

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
So Tamir Lenk, I don't know if you got your mini fogger to work, but I thought you might be interested in this video from BigClive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iC878A2puH0

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
Chiffon blouse is near completion. Still needs cuffs and buttons on the back. Put the mock up red cincher over it to get a good visual.

There is no undershirt for the bodice and there is a flower stitched onto each sleeve like an appliqué.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Trip report:

Cosplay went really well, I had hella fun, and I am already planning my costume for next year. This bug has bitten me good and proper. These are the photos from Thanet Cosplay's booth.

Already planning to do something with the greenscreen background, I want to make myself an alt-art x-wing card.

I did enter the contest, and apparently the result was announced as '*my name* as Jareth the Goblin King'. I was elsewhere losing horribly at x-wing so I couldn't attend the presentation, so I don't yet know whether it was me who won or the guy who did Jareth. I'm assuming the latter, given that his costume was awesome, and the costume is the more important part of the contest rather than the cosplayer's name. Still, I would be dead chuffed to win a thing first time out.

Next year I will try to go down for the competition and one of the masquerades.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I love that blouse; you could totally wear it mundanely.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
Workin' on making my own copy of this lovely design from Thingiverse: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1311108

http://i.imgur.com/mgX7V3Q.webm

Also finished my Magneto helmet (colour scheme from his 2015 comics)

(this one was made on a reallllly bad printer and took a ton of cleanup work.. Gesso is actually amazing for hiding print layers!)

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker
Heavy fill primer works well too.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
Finished aside from closures in the back and maybe some more lace details. Now all that is left is to add pockets to the Bert costume and buttons. Really pleased that I got this all done.

I'm also hoping to get a Rainbow Brite and her Sprite costume set done but I may have to just do some other completed costume instead.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Update: I didn't win :( But I did make the top 10 shortlist which isn't bad for my first costume in more than 10 years and my first EVA foam creation full stop.

The straps finally arrived. I'm not going to put them into this costume, but I'll use them for the next one.

E: 3d printed mjolnir is beautiful.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

The Repo Man posted:

So Tamir Lenk, I don't know if you got your mini fogger to work, but I thought you might be interested in this video from BigClive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iC878A2puH0

Thanks for the info. Still fleshing out the wiring and layout of my lights/smoke show. I like this simple approach, but suspect that the tiny e-cigarette component would need frequent oil/battery changes that might annoy me. If my own setup fails during testing (still waiting on some components), I may double back to this instead.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Tamir Lenk posted:

Thanks for the info. Still fleshing out the wiring and layout of my lights/smoke show. I like this simple approach, but suspect that the tiny e-cigarette component would need frequent oil/battery changes that might annoy me. If my own setup fails during testing (still waiting on some components), I may double back to this instead.

Get a bigger/longer lasting vape setup. Attach the air pump close to the rig and bring the long tube from the other end to your wrist. I agree that that setup is very neat, but it probably won't last long if you want to use it semi-frequently. A bigger rig can be hidden elsewhere as long as you can run a tube to where you need it to go.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

neogeo0823 posted:

Get a bigger/longer lasting vape setup. Attach the air pump close to the rig and bring the long tube from the other end to your wrist. I agree that that setup is very neat, but it probably won't last long if you want to use it semi-frequently. A bigger rig can be hidden elsewhere as long as you can run a tube to where you need it to go.

That's where I'm headed with mine. Still working out kinks with the design or the manifold for the blower to tank connection, fine-tuning the voltage for the tank (since mine is a 12v system) and mapping out the switches and relays for the system (e.g., separate switches for fan and tank, or a TDR, etc.)

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

In the dream future where I actually finish my revamped Rocketeer cosplay, I really want to have the jetpack produce smoke; the problem in the past was generating enough to make a decent effect. So definitely keep us posted on how yours goes!

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
I have also seen a lot of people say they used this tutorial for smoke effects so maybe useful to somebody: http://valkyriestudios.net/making-a-mini-fog-machine/

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
Paint, yay!

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Are those real sheep/goat horns?

It looks great by the way.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

McPantserton posted:

I have also seen a lot of people say they used this tutorial for smoke effects so maybe useful to somebody: http://valkyriestudios.net/making-a-mini-fog-machine/

That's pretty close to where I am going with this. My tank, however, has a different intake, and I am using a squirrel blower instead of an air pump (because the vapor has to travel through about 3-4' of tube from tank to wrists. The tank in question uses a sub-ohm coil - which supposedly will produce big thick clouds, but also makes the voltage calculations trickier, as it needs low volts but significant amperage. So I'm playing around with manifolds and wiring to get the power and airflow right. Will definitely keep updating ITT, especially if it fukken works .

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Tamir Lenk posted:

That's pretty close to where I am going with this. My tank, however, has a different intake, and I am using a squirrel blower instead of an air pump (because the vapor has to travel through about 3-4' of tube from tank to wrists. The tank in question uses a sub-ohm coil - which supposedly will produce big thick clouds, but also makes the voltage calculations trickier, as it needs low volts but significant amperage. So I'm playing around with manifolds and wiring to get the power and airflow right. Will definitely keep updating ITT, especially if it fukken works .

Please do. I've been thinking of doing a large Grim Reaper sort of costume, but the second most major effect, trailing fog/smoke everywhere I go, had eluded me over the years. This is exactly what I need to pick it up again.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

thespaceinvader posted:

Are those real sheep/goat horns?

It looks great by the way.

Thanks! And yep, real goat horns from eBay.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
Done! (gonna make a stand for it)

Love that Skyrim helmet btw!

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Thanks for the kind words goons!

I don't have time for a full effort post right now but here's something I wanted to share. I needed to make a pauldron that was a sort of swoopy organic curve so my first thought ran to Worbla. However, upon reading, I found that you need to sand it, prime it, sand it again, prime it again, etc etc to get it smooth. I decided to try another material instead.

Click for huge.

This is a product called Infinity by Chesapeake Medical Products (CMP). It's a formable thermoplastic that's used to make splints for busted wrists fingers, hands etc. Th plate above is Infinity after a single coat of Plasti-Dip, with no sanding beyond smoothing the cut edges. I didn't have to use any other prep at all as it comes with a smooth, slightly textured surface. The main blemishes you see in the pic are just where my fingertips pressed a bit too hard into it. Next time I'll make a styrofoam buck and let it drape.

I picked up a single sheet 18" x 24" of Infinity for about $35 + 15 shipping (sucks but I didn't wanna buy bulk in case it was crap) and the above took me... oh, 10 minutes?

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

BlackIronHeart posted:

Thanks for the kind words goons!

I don't have time for a full effort post right now but here's something I wanted to share. I needed to make a pauldron that was a sort of swoopy organic curve so my first thought ran to Worbla. However, upon reading, I found that you need to sand it, prime it, sand it again, prime it again, etc etc to get it smooth. I decided to try another material instead.

Click for huge.

This is a product called Infinity by Chesapeake Medical Products (CMP). It's a formable thermoplastic that's used to make splints for busted wrists fingers, hands etc. Th plate above is Infinity after a single coat of Plasti-Dip, with no sanding beyond smoothing the cut edges. I didn't have to use any other prep at all as it comes with a smooth, slightly textured surface. The main blemishes you see in the pic are just where my fingertips pressed a bit too hard into it. Next time I'll make a styrofoam buck and let it drape.

I picked up a single sheet 18" x 24" of Infinity for about $35 + 15 shipping (sucks but I didn't wanna buy bulk in case it was crap) and the above took me... oh, 10 minutes?

What was the activation temp like? Sounds like a super interesting material, I am def interested to know more

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The sheet that came with it lists it as 70°C – 75°C (160°F – 170°F) for 1 minute for 1/8" thick stuff . I used a B&D heat gun and that was more than enough to get it floppy and drapey in a minute or less. It's pretty rigid with a little bit of flx when cool so I can't imagine it'd shatter, crack or chip if you drop it. I could try some tests if anyone wants to suggest some?

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
I have a splint made from that stuff and was telling the Physical Therapist how I thought it would be great for Cosplay. To mold it she puts it in a hot bath and then fine tunes the shape with a heat gun. It does stick to itself when it is hot enough.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer

Funhilde posted:

I have a splint made from that stuff and was telling the Physical Therapist how I thought it would be great for Cosplay. To mold it she puts it in a hot bath and then fine tunes the shape with a heat gun. It does stick to itself when it is hot enough.

I can confirm that it does make for some good cosplay material, last summer I broke my finger so bad it required titanium screws so I got to spend two weeks with this bad boy:

The therapists were baffled as hell until I told them I'm a lefty. I got so many envious looks from children out in public!

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
All my costumes are coming along. I have one toddler free con day and I was struggling with what to wear. Had considered rewearing my Scarlet Witch costume but it needs work before it fits. Thankfully I remembered that I have a Blossom costume so I'll probably sport that.

I have added some pockets to Bert's coat and only have buttons left to sew.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
First costume was a success. Bummed my belt got all moved around and I'm not a great model but this wasn't about me really.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
Also dressed up today in my Mary Poppins costume also husband and child as Bert and Penguin. Only thing I didn't make was pants, shirt and bow tie for Bert.

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear

Funhilde posted:

All my costumes are coming along. I have one toddler free con day and I was struggling with what to wear. Had considered rewearing my Scarlet Witch costume but it needs work before it fits. Thankfully I remembered that I have a Blossom costume so I'll probably sport that.

I have added some pockets to Bert's coat and only have buttons left to sew.

Ahhh, a good matched up stripe is just so satisfying to look at! Kid costumes are mad cute, and the Mary Poppins dress looks great too!

I ended up making a tiny plush Sex Pistol to go with my Mista costume, it was really fun, and now I sort of want to make more plush Stands.

He snapped onto my hat and chilled there all day.

I sort of forgot to take any decent pictures at the convention, but here's one I found later. He even lent me his gun! I actually saw a lot of people with fairly realistic looking guns, I just didn't feel comfortable carrying one around the city.

And now, after nearly a month of mis-shipped packages and sold out fabric I finally got my white stretch twill (You've never seen someone so excited to receive a box of plain white fabric, hah) and real progress on JoJolion Kira Yoshikage is happening!

Sailor hat! I covered some regular braid with yellow silk so it would match my anchor pin. Pictures taken before I added the tassel and button on top. I also put some batting in between the outside and lining after this to soften the shape a bit.

Sailor top nearly done. just have to get the dickey installed and make the scarf. And decide if I'm going to put a hood on it. Sometimes he's got one, sometimes not. Pants are just placeholders to see how it looks, I'm making pants from scratch because....

I figured out how to draft some weird drapey pockets!

I got more Pellon 542 interfacing too, so I'm ready to make Josefumi's waffleshirt, which is one of the scariest looking drafts I've ever done.

Yeah...just line up all those lines. No biggie. :suicide:

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Does anybody have any good ideas about where to find belt blanks, or even just belts I guess, in a similar geometric pattern to this one? I'm starting to get materials together for Yara Greyjoy and I searched foreverrr yesterday and didn't find anything that I thought was very similar to the pattern on the sword belt there. I'm ok with not screen accurate but I really thought I could find something close and so far I have just totally failed!

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

McPantserton posted:

Does anybody have any good ideas about where to find belt blanks, or even just belts I guess, in a similar geometric pattern to this one? I'm starting to get materials together for Yara Greyjoy and I searched foreverrr yesterday and didn't find anything that I thought was very similar to the pattern on the sword belt there. I'm ok with not screen accurate but I really thought I could find something close and so far I have just totally failed!

Have you tried Tandy Leather? https://www.tandyleather.com/en/category/leather-belts-leather-straps

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Belt blanks are easy to find, Tandy has you covered there. https://www.tandyleather.com/en/category/leather-belts-leather-straps I'd think that specific pattern was something that was embossed as a custom thing but I could be wrong.

e;fb

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Embossing leather is super easy! You can definitely do that with just a few basic tools.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Op Shops / Thrift Stores near me have way too many women's fashion belts in a multitude of patterns, styles and "weatheredness" for really cheap prices.

Good for Nomura cosplay.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

I wore my Dragonborn costume to IndyPopCon over this past weekend and it seemed to be well-received! My buddy and I were doing leather work up until the very last minute (I left Friday morning at 6am, we finished at 8pm Thursday night) and so the boots and tunic were a total hack job but hey, that's cosplay life, right?

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Work and life got in the way of cosplay work, but now I've got time again, back to fixing this disaster.

When I last left off, I had just attempted to make my life way easier by re-casting my blank prop using a plaster waste mold and some old leftover resin. The idea was hopefully to get me something that wasn't made 90% of cardboard so that I could sand, sculpt, and drill some parts I was having a bunch of trouble with.

This did not turn out well, due to reasons I mentioned in my last post:

After doing a bunch of experimentation, I determined that the correct way to extract my prop from the enormous chunks of plaster it was embedded in was to soak it in a basic solution, so I dumped a box of baking soda into a plastic tub, got some huge gloves, and scrubbed away at it, revealing the plastic underneath it. My elation at figuring that out, though, was quickly dampened once I saw how the cast had actually turned out:

You see, resin gets very hot when it's curing. If you pour it into a plaster mold that isn't 100% dry (which happens if you add too much water, which I did), then that extra water boils, turning to steam, which bubbles up through the resin as it cures and turns into an awful mess. But, whatever, that's what Bondo is for. I filled in all of the bubbles, used some Apoxie Sculpt to fix up the parts that I wanted to, and sanded it down more-or-less smooth. The beveled center bit was basically entirely lost, since I didn't want to fill in those weird controls. I filled that entire bit in with a generous amount of Bondo and marked it out for dremeling:

A bunch more carving, sculpting, sanding, and filling later, I was finally satisfied with the shape it was in. I hit the entire thing with a light coat of primer so that I could more easily catch any cracks and tiny little bubbles that I couldn't spot, sanded down the rough spots, and filled the last bits in, and, well...

The loving bubbles are back. They were always there, lurking under the surface, and every time I sand anything down I reveal the next layer of tiny pockmarks.

I need suggestions on what I can possibly do to fix this. The bubbles are tiny, so it's difficult to get Bondo in there, and the interiors of the bubbles are very smooth, so it's impossible to get it to stick. Is there something that I can slather on top of this thing that I can sand down smooth afterwards? I remember seeing a gesso marked as "sandable" at the store, would that work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Maybe polyurethane resin? It's sandable, should stick to anything and you can get it at any hardware/big box store.