Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

You know a band is green when their sound check is longer than their set.
But hey they sound p. good so far so gently caress it I got time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Lots of conversation to catch up on but I didn't know that enourmo had a MSP. Those cars are awesome for what they are. I heard they are pretty awesome for auto cross and stuff, completely ridiculous stuff suspension and stuff.

And literally a fish, those fifteen52's are fresh as hell! I have a bronzed set of Tarmacs for my E36. I'm ready to sell them though.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Yeah, every once in a while I get thinking it's not the great, then I drive my sister's CX-5 or my mom's new Escape (both of which are still pretty nimble for their size), or a moving truck like last weekend, and that resets my calibration and I fall in love with it all over again.

One of these years I need to get to an autocross meet. The car probably hates being cooped up on boring rear end Orlando roads.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

gently caress PayPal.

Bought some parts off of eBay and I selected my CC as the payment method (had to manually enter the drat thing as it wasn't linked to PayPal yet) and apparently that went into the ether and it defaulted to my bank account (separate for PayPal since I don't need them having access to real money, and empty at the time) Two transactions and poof $90 gone since apparently I forgot to setup that $5 pay-as-you-go NSF thing on that account.

Sent a bitchy message to them, more to vent as I doubt they'd give a single cent back due to their software fuckup.

Not how I planned on spending that $90 :argh:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Bajaha posted:

gently caress PayPal.

Bought some parts off of eBay and I selected my CC as the payment method (had to manually enter the drat thing as it wasn't linked to PayPal yet) and apparently that went into the ether and it defaulted to my bank account (separate for PayPal since I don't need them having access to real money, and empty at the time) Two transactions and poof $90 gone since apparently I forgot to setup that $5 pay-as-you-go NSF thing on that account.

Sent a bitchy message to them, more to vent as I doubt they'd give a single cent back due to their software fuckup.

Not how I planned on spending that $90 :argh:

Do not under any circumstances link your bank account to paypal.

If you have to use paypal, buy reloadable visa cards.

Paypal operates like a bank without all those consumer protections. If you sell something, and the buyer does a chargeback on their credit card, paypal automatically decides in their favor so they don't have to fight a credit card company. If your bank account is linked, they will try to pull the money back from your bank account. If your credit card is linked, they will charge any defecit to your credit card.

They are a lovely, lovely company with lovely, lovely practices and lovely, lovely policies, and if you give them any access to any of your money, they will take it and make you fight to get it back.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I've been burned by Paypal once.

Once.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

leica posted:

I've been burned by Paypal once.

Once.

I would rather shove a pinecone up my peehole than ever have to deal with them again.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I occasionally sell things and I'd like to withdraw that money from PayPal's miserable bony clutches and roll around in it. If there's a way to do that without linking it to a legitimate bank account, I'm all ears.

What I've done is setup a bank account that is only for PayPal so that I can pull out money from the things I've sold where I've taken payment through PayPal. No money resides in this account for longer than it takes me to remove it after it has transferred in from PayPal. It's a free checking account so it's like a buffer between real money and PayPal. If they try to pull back money for bullshit reasons, at worst I'm out an NSF fee.

E: the reloadable CC sounds like an even better way to avoid their bullshit. I guess I've got some leanin to do.

Bajaha fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jun 23, 2016

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Has anyone seen/listened to Hamilton?

This poo poo is good.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
That's pretty cool, TT. Good luck.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

And literally a fish, those fifteen52's are fresh as hell! I have a bronzed set of Tarmacs for my E36. I'm ready to sell them though.

Thanks! I took another pic now that there's proper lighting;

They look so goddamn nice.

Sigma X posted:

I think those look awful, personally. Not the design, it's cool, kind of reminds me of the OZ Racing rally-style wheels. But they're so much wider than the tires it looks like frickin' lip isn't touching the rubber. C'mon, man.

I would also like to address the "YOU'VE STRETCHED THOSE TYRES TOO FAR" complaint with this photo:

Perfectly flush. If I had my way they'd be 10 or 20 mm wider to save the rims from curb rash, but such a tyre size does not exist, apparently.

E: vvvv Thanks! :3:

literally a fish fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jun 23, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

literally a fish posted:

That's pretty cool, TT. Good luck.

I would also like to address the "YOU'VE STRETCHED THOSE TYRES TOO FAR" complaint with this photo:

Perfectly flush. If I had my way they'd be 10 or 20 mm wider to save the rims from curb rash, but such a tyre size does not exist, apparently.

Gorgeous.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
I voted

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

literally a fish posted:

Awesome car, wheels and plate.

Sounds like this will be the last season for our endurance racing team. Not sure if I'll rent seats from other teams, look at a spec series or race two wheel for a while. Definitely a bummer

mungtor
May 3, 2005

Yeah, I hate me too.
Nap Ghost

some texas redneck posted:

As others pointed out, Kenmore doesn't actually build anything. Their fridges are primarily made by GE and Whirlpool; I think LG gets involved a bit for the higher end fridges.

Though the nice thing about Kenmore is it's usually easy to get schematics.

This is from a couple days ago, but figured I would chime in. 20 years ago I worked at a place that made ice makers among other things, and they entered a bid to have their model sold as a Kenmore. The vetting process to get branded as a Kenmore unit was insane. Representatives from Sears would show up unannounced and pull units right off the line to make sure we weren't sending them anything different, wanted to see extended Bill of Materials for units for at least 3 revisions in the past, and I'm pretty sure we were contractually obligated to notify them if the BOM changed at all, at which point they may choose to re-test or not. Once they had the units they would outfit them with thermocouples, water flow meters, etc. They measured pretty much everything possible as well as stress testing anything mechanical, and then came back with "suggested" improvements.

If that's still the process (and who really knows) it would be hard to go wrong buying anything that's Kenmore branded. We got a Kenmore dishwasher 12-13 years ago, and it's really just starting to show it's age now.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Oh you're going to love this, I just got quietly asked to come into HR and explain some of my actions vs a colleague. Turns out he'd complained about me "irradiating" him with careless use of tools.

Passive thermal camera.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

mungtor posted:

If that's still the process (and who really knows) it would be hard to go wrong buying anything that's Kenmore branded. We got a Kenmore dishwasher 12-13 years ago, and it's really just starting to show it's age now.

My Kenmore Elite dishwasher has broken down at least once per year for the five years we've owned it. Stuff like pot-metal hose clamps that rusted through and broke, bad door sensors, melting tray brackets and soap door, leaking door gaskets...

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

:rolleye:

If it wouldn't get you in poo poo with HR I'd drop a roll of tinfoil on his desk.

Paypal chat: As someone that deals with ebay periodically I see it as a necessary evil. Between their draconian policies and fees upon fees, I hate them as much as the next guy but I ended up opening a basic, no frills bank account at an institution I don't otherwise deal with and just clean it out each time I withrdraw money from PP.

A reloadable visa card isn't a bad idea - but don't they need a bank account? Also aren't the service fees terrible on those Visa cards

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Paypal is good because it lets me buy things easily without having to whip my credit card out. Paypal is bad because 8 years ago they took money out of my account because someone on ebay was a butt.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
First wet day here since I picked up my first RWD car, a 95NA miata. Any tips on learning to control the rear end or should I save it for autocross? I know I'm not going to be doing mad drifts, bro, but a little controllable oversteer would be a nice thing in my life.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

willroc7 posted:

First wet day here since I picked up my first RWD car, a 95NA miata. Any tips on learning to control the rear end or should I save it for autocross? I know I'm not going to be doing mad drifts, bro, but a little controllable oversteer would be a nice thing in my life.
You can get a feel for what its like in a nice open parking lot. A mall early in the morning might be good, less cars plus way less chance of a cop driving by and seeing you if the back of the mall isn't near a street.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

willroc7 posted:

The only way to do it is with practice. And if you practice correctly, you'll get it wrong some times... so you need to have some safety margin.

That's one way that living in snow country is great -- parking lot sliding practice. I think that is the best way to hone your skills. You can feel everything from threshold to full-on slide and learn to control them at a slow speed.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cakefool posted:

Oh you're going to love this, I just got quietly asked to come into HR and explain some of my actions vs a colleague. Turns out he'd complained about me "irradiating" him with careless use of tools.

Passive thermal camera.
"I thought it'd be better if he didn't breed"

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

InitialDave posted:

"I thought it'd be better if he didn't breed"

I am betting Cakefool gets a written warning.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Guy'd be laughed out the building here. What a melon.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

meatpimp posted:

The only way to do it is with practice. And if you practice correctly, you'll get it wrong some times... so you need to have some safety margin.

That's one way that living in snow country is great -- parking lot sliding practice. I think that is the best way to hone your skills. You can feel everything from threshold to full-on slide and learn to control them at a slow speed.
I did this with my S4 when there was some fresh slick snow in the mall parking lot across the street from where I live. There is a pretty healthy police presence there, but I got away with it that time. The S4 is obviously a different beast though. I had my winter tires on and it was an absolute blast doing donuts and powerslides, however, I wasn't able to transfer anything I learned doing this to the street. The car just has so much drat grip, especially on summer rubber. I'm also pretty conservative about car control on public roads. I guess I need something to bridge the gap between the two. Maybe I'll try to find a similar, if not more secluded, space to learn the Miata in. Are there any methods for an absolute beginner other than turn sharply and stomp the gas? Also, the Miata has a torsen. Will I burn it up trying to do this, especially in dry conditions?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
And cancer takes another one.

One of my nicest regular customers passed away from Ewing's Sarcoma on Monday. Eat a dick 2016.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Turns out it's the same guy who complained about my Qi phone charger a year or so back. I explained the science of how a camera worked to hr while my supervisor was quietly pissing himself with laughter. I don't think this'll go far but I did recommend they check whether this guy actually has any of the qualifications he claims to have.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Cakefool posted:

Turns out it's the same guy who complained about my Qi phone charger a year or so back. I explained the science of how a camera worked to hr while my supervisor was quietly pissing himself with laughter. I don't think this'll go far but I did recommend they check whether this guy actually has any of the qualifications he claims to have.

Maybe I saw and don't remember, but why did he complain about your charger?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Cakefool posted:

Lol at having to explain it to HR are they that freaking dense? Should have never made it past them to begin with.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Cakefool posted:

If he's in any sort of science or technology position, this is a valid concern. Actually, I'd be concerned regardless, since he's clearly an idiot.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

leica posted:

Lol at having to explain it to HR are they that freaking dense? Should have never made it past them to begin with.

I'm sure they're required to follow up on every dumb complaint they get ever. What do hr people even do with their day when they aren't spending their time learning how cameras work, anyway?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Rhyno posted:

And cancer takes another one.

One of my nicest regular customers passed away from Ewing's Sarcoma on Monday. Eat a dick 2016.

Quite possibly the only topic that mankind can all agree on is that cancer is a total rear end in a top hat.

PayPal as a merchant is actually quite good with some of their current policies in place. With proof of shipment and delivery PayPal is on the hook for the money if something shows up as "not delivered" by the recipient. Higher fees over a card but a bit more secure against fraud.

Can any of the Nigels in the group explain what is going on with the UK and the voting thing about leaving the EU? Does it have an actual chance of passing? A few acquaintances on Facebook are commenting on it and I can't make any sense of if this is good or bad. I blame British humour for never being able to understand if they are serious or tongue in cheek with comments made.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Quite possibly the only topic that mankind can all agree on is that cancer is a total rear end in a top hat.

PayPal as a merchant is actually quite good with some of their current policies in place. With proof of shipment and delivery PayPal is on the hook for the money if something shows up as "not delivered" by the recipient. Higher fees over a card but a bit more secure against fraud.

Can any of the Nigels in the group explain what is going on with the UK and the voting thing about leaving the EU? Does it have an actual chance of passing? A few acquaintances on Facebook are commenting on it and I can't make any sense of if this is good or bad. I blame British humour for never being able to understand if they are serious or tongue in cheek with comments made.

a bunch of racists managed to get this vote to the people but even if they all voted "yeah m8 lets gtfo" parliament can just ignore it anyways so it's really just a waste of time at best and an attempt at self-fellatio at worst

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

On a high level I think there has been a growing sense for a while that the lower to lower middle class has gotten a raw deal from globalization and some politicians have decided that the best way to capitalize on this is to bundle it with racism.

Basically imagine the whole Trump phenomenon but British.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Somewhat Heroic posted:

The Economist has good brexit coverage, albeit from a non-neutral position. You might find this page interesting.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Cage posted:

You can get a feel for what its like in a nice open parking lot. A mall early in the morning might be good, less cars plus way less chance of a cop driving by and seeing you if the back of the mall isn't near a street.

When I was a kid, my dad was teaching me how to control oversteer in a wet empty parking lot in his truck. Cops came with lights on asked us "What in the hell are you doing?". My dad told him 'teaching him how to drive in case of a spin'.

Cop basically just said 'Carry on, be careful' and left.

That's my learning to control oversteer story.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Tusen Takk posted:

a bunch of racists managed to get this vote to the people but even if they all voted "yeah m8 lets gtfo" parliament can just ignore it anyways so it's really just a waste of time at best and an attempt at self-fellatio at worst

I voted remain and think leaving is dumb but I'd be pissed if leave won and parliament said lol j/k.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

leica posted:

Lol at having to explain it to HR are they that freaking dense?
Yes.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Here's a decent enough simple explanation: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-32810887

I have voted to remain in the EU. Almost everyone I know is voting to remain in the EU. I have not encountered anyone with half a brain or who understands the big picture who thinks the "out" option is a realistic proposal.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
Im glad the uk will vote to remain in the eu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

InitialDave posted:

I have voted to remain in the EU. Almost everyone I know is voting to remain in the EU. I have not encountered anyone with half a brain or who understands the big picture who thinks the "out" option is a realistic proposal.

The Telegraph had a huge fluff piece about leaving that frontlined James Dyson. Apparently his concerns (despite not employing factory workers in the UK) are A. the EU electrical outlet standard is bad, and B. EU courts don't necessarily settle in his favour all the time.

• Locked thread