Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Parking.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I just hate this thing and yes someone still lives there.

Edit: VVV Yes, No. It might have parking or a workshop a few decades ago.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

peanut fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Jun 21, 2016

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

peanut posted:

Japan? Flood zone?

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

Dillbag posted:

Jesus Christ, buy a circular saw, they're like $50 at Home Depot.

My guess is there's no power.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

peanut posted:

Edit: VVV Yes, No. It might have parking or a workshop a few decades ago.

This is basically every house in the Keys, and every beach house on the gulf coast.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

MrYenko posted:

This is basically every house in the Keys, and every beach house on the gulf coast.

Come on. Very few elevated beach houses are that butt ugly.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Gounads posted:

My guess is there's no power.

They come in battery operated.

ductonius
Apr 9, 2007
I heard there's a cream for that...

Liquid Communism posted:

They come in battery operated.

That you recharge where when they run out? No power is no power.

You can criticize the guy for no PPE or cutting at an awkward angle, but there's nothing wrong with cutting wood with a chainsaw.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Construction pro‐tip: bring a generator to provide electrical power at isolated work sites.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

More here

I don't even know where to start

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:

couldcareless posted:

More here

try the self-help book

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Load-bearing magazines.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

couldcareless posted:

More here

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way – in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

couldcareless posted:

More here

Now that's a fire hazard!

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

couldcareless posted:

More here

Start by saying "At least they're not all Chuck Tingle novellas".

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I assumed that he had cut off a bunch of book spines and glued them up to make a sort of wallpaper, but no he apparently just stacked up books and stapled them all together.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

that makes me super mad

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not an upcycler because I love conservation. I'm an upcycler because I hate books.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hey this book down here looks interesting...

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

couldcareless posted:

More here

with dryer lint and tinder

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Sormus posted:

try the self-help book
:v:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

If only they were all Chuck Tingle novellas. :colbert:

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

pounded in the butt by a fallen roof beam

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
There used to be a used bookstore in Salem, MA not entirely unlike that.

You actually could pull a book out from near the floor, and generally the whole stack would stay up anyway, out of...habit, I guess? Sheer force of will?

You would hand the money for your purchase to a man through a tunnel of books. I never could figure out how he got in and out. Maybe he just lived back there.

It closed a few years ago, probably because the fire department looked at it for one second.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The books are so densely packed in there that I almost wonder if more books make it less dangerous at that point—probably not, because of convection.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

toplitzin posted:

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way – in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only.

It was the smell if there's ever a good stretch of high humidity or a water leak... not to mention the wonders of silverfish or cockroaches.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

ductonius posted:

That you recharge where when they run out? No power is no power.

You can criticize the guy for no PPE or cutting at an awkward angle, but there's nothing wrong with cutting wood with a chainsaw.

He's cutting decking for the roof. Which is supposed to be square and flush.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

He's cutting decking for the roof. Which is supposed to be square and flush.

There's supposed to be a 1/8" gap between sheets for roof decking, so that moisture expansion doesn't cause the decking to buckle. I'm not saying I'd want to try to freehand cut a line with <1/8" deviation with a chainsaw, but there is some room for variation. Not a lot, but some.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Oh. Weird. OK shows what I know about roofing!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
As far as I'm aware, it's the same for any kind of plywood paneling (it's certainly true for e.g. house sheathing). You don't want to butt edges up directly against each other.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
You're right. No human being would stack books like this.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

As far as I'm aware, it's the same for any kind of plywood paneling (it's certainly true for e.g. house sheathing). You don't want to butt edges up directly against each other.

That probably means you need good straight edges, though, or you're going to have uneven gaps. Basically you shouldn't cut your roof sheathing using a chainsaw, I'm gonna stand by that statement.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

couldcareless posted:

More here

I keep spotting the copy of Twilight on the ceiling.
Good sound insulation, I suppose. Personally, I would have just, you know, surrounded the TV with bookcases and filled them with books I actually have or want to read. And maybe made a print or something if I wanted the ceiling to look like books. But what do I know? I'm not an artist (he said "In summary, I was thinking of the best way to decorate the living room wall and ceiling of my new Art studio," so I assume he's an :airquote:artist:airquote:)

Leperflesh posted:

That probably means you need good straight edges, though, or you're going to have uneven gaps. Basically you shouldn't cut your roof sheathing using a chainsaw, I'm gonna stand by that statement.

On the other hand, they're covering it with a steel roof, so it's much more tolerant of gaps than asphalt shingles. I'd still use a circular saw, though, myself.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
That certainly is a novel idea.

deoju fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jun 23, 2016

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Darchangel posted:

On the other hand, they're covering it with a steel roof, so it's much more tolerant of gaps than asphalt shingles. I'd still use a circular saw, though, myself.
Have fun dragging a generator to power up a saw for a few cuts. Also, factory edges go towards factory edges, the cut side is the bottom overhang. It could be off by 1", the roof don't care.

The book wall makes me angry for some reason.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

Nitrox posted:

Have fun dragging a generator to power up a saw for a few cuts. Also, factory edges go towards factory edges, the cut side is the bottom overhang. It could be off by 1", the roof don't care.

They already had a generator and circular saw on the roof. Maybe he just didn't think it was safe to be going up down the ladder too often in those sandals.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

>COMBINE GENERATOR, GATORADE AND SANDALS

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
>Result
>Vegan Lumberjack
>Try Again? Y/N

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Geirskogul posted: