Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

I saw the full trailer for this before Finding Dory. The little kids in the audience thought it was hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Hat Thoughts posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blAKCJcXC5c

i'm tagging myself as the voice cillian murphys doing

Whatever I'm 100% on board.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

muscles like this? posted:

Huh, I hadn't heard that they were making a movie version of The Girl with All the Gifts. The book is very Last of Us except in England. Although I am wondering if they'll keep the bleak as hell ending.

I'm surprised there's less outcry that the black teacher character is played by a white actress

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

axleblaze posted:

Yeah, Burton's problem isn't that he likes a particular type of story and that all of his movies are a different version of it, it's that he's become increasingly bad at telling that story.

It's not surprising that as he's matured and gotten older, his innate ... weirdness has faded away and he's now having to fake it because it doesn't come naturally anymore.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I'm surprised there's less outcry that the black teacher character is played by a white actress

I've read the book and didn't even know the character was meant to be black. I need to read it again anyway, at some point. I'll probably read Fellside first though.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

The Saddest Rhino posted:

She's being saved, and the one being taught lessons even tho she's the adult and the teacher.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Two and a half minutes of Tom Cruise dominating meatheads.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Ha, I was hesitant about the first one (and they choose poor leading ladies) but this series could end up being pretty fun.

I just hope they eventually make Killing Floor, which I thought was the best of the books - but unfortunately, while the smarter of the series, it was also the least action heavy so it probably won't make the cut.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the teaser trailer for the birth of a nation is so much better than the full trailer they just released.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

And here is the whole thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRwrdbcAh2s

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I really like Gal Gadot, Jon Hamm, Zach Galifianakis, and Isla Fisher. This looks fun. I laughed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftsl9iLa6qk

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I think they shouldve got someone weirder looking than Isla fisher and Zach Galifianakis should be fatter. The joke lovingly embellished in the thumbnail seems weaker because Isla Fisher is still v skinny & pretty.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
That, to me, looks Not Good

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I really enjoyed Mr. and Mrs. Smith, so maybe I'm a sucker for "married spy couple living undercover in the suburbs" movies.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Is this the spiritual sequel to Oh Heavenly Dog?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Hat Thoughts posted:

I think they shouldve got someone weirder looking than Isla fisher and Zach Galifianakis should be fatter. The joke lovingly embellished in the thumbnail seems weaker because Isla Fisher is still v skinny & pretty.

Would choose Isla Fisher over Gal Gadot in a heartbeat.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

right there with ya, fella.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

teagone posted:

I really like Gal Gadot, Jon Hamm, Zach Galifianakis, and Isla Fisher. This looks fun. I laughed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftsl9iLa6qk

Feel like they gave away the whole thing about who the Jones' are in that trailer. Not so normal/too perfect couple couple becomes possible evil spies becomes probably good spies. It would have been nice to leave a little but of mystery in there.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

kiimo posted:

Would choose Isla Fisher over Gal Gadot in a heartbeat.

It bugs me...the joke with Jon Hamm & Gal Gadot is they're like insane idealized versions of masculine/feminine figure VS. Galifianakis & Fisher who are supposed to be comedically schlubby contrasts. But both of them (and especially Fisher) they're too normal/good looking.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Hat Thoughts posted:

It bugs me...the joke with Jon Hamm & Gal Gadot is they're like insane idealized versions of masculine/feminine figure VS. Galifianakis & Fisher who are supposed to be comedically schlubby contrasts. But both of them (and especially Fisher) they're too normal/good looking.

Is it really surprising though? That was a joke in Not Another Teen Movie fifteen years ago and it was played out then.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Shillary posted:

Is it really surprising though? That was a joke in Not Another Teen Movie fifteen years ago and it was played out then.

I mean by no means is it a new joke but i dont care about that, it's just like...they're halfway there with Jon Hamm & ISla Fisher. The execution sucka

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I mean...yeah, it's just. Isla Fisher is a particularly hot girl. She doesn't even wear glasses. She's just funny so we're supposed to buy her being some frumpy housewife.

I say this having not seen the movie even though the dvd is sitting next to me.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Not to be weird or anything, but there are hot moms/housewives out there in the real world. Also, Gal Gadot completely towers over Isla Fisher and has more of an exotic beauty about her in comparison. Had they cast like, Melissa McCarthy as the wife, that just seems a bit ehh.

[edit] vvv Heh

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Melissa McCarthy was probably busy or too expensive.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

teagone posted:

Not to be weird or anything, but there are hot moms/housewives out there in the real world.

We Something Awful goons shouldn't have to be told about this considering someone's hot mom is one of our community legends.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Hollywood should learn from Britain and cast ugly people whenever they can

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

The MSJ posted:

We Something Awful goons shouldn't have to be told about this considering someone's hot mom is one of our community legends.

poo poo, how could I forget, lmao.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

teagone posted:

Not to be weird or anything, but there are hot moms/housewives out there in the real world. Also, Gal Gadot completely towers over Isla Fisher and has more of an exotic beauty about her in comparison. Had they cast like, Melissa McCarthy as the wife, that just seems a bit ehh.

Who cares about adherence to reality? It's a movie where Gal Gadot & Jon Hamm are next-door spies who become friends with Zach Galifanaikis & Isla Fisher. But it's a comedy & when u cast Gal Gadot & Jon Hamm who are basically, as I said, walking caricatures of masculinity & femininity and then you put these "normal" people in a scene with them to draw a contrast it doesn't work when those "normal" people are still attractive stars.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Hat Thoughts posted:

Who cares about adherence to reality? It's a movie where Gal Gadot & Jon Hamm are next-door spies who become friends with Zach Galifanaikis & Isla Fisher. But it's a comedy & when u cast Gal Gadot & Jon Hamm who are basically, as I said, walking caricatures of masculinity & femininity and then you put these "normal" people in a scene with them to draw a contrast it doesn't work when those "normal" people are still attractive stars.

The contrast of Zach and Isla as a quirky suburban family who aren't spies works well enough for this fictional scenario imo.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Not contesting anyone's waifu or preferences, she's as pretty lady as many come, but Fisher is odd looking and her aging is well on display, as well as motherhood. As a contrast to Gadot, and with the characters they seem to be building, Isla perfectly fits the bill if being a bit more of a normalized version than we may be used to.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Attractive women confuse goons

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
They should've cast Patrick Stewart as the wife, problem solved.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

This looks awesome. The first one was excellent so I'm really glad this sequel has been made. I know it will be a reliably entertaining film because Tom Cruise is in it.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Hat Thoughts posted:

It's a commentary on how popular culture puts such high expectations on people that they undermine the body image of pretty much everyone, even people who in reality are significantly better looking than most of their peers.

Alternative answer: They're targeting a more international audience, and are thus choosing to not adhere as much to the appearance and weight of the average American so as to allow non-Americans to better identify with the characters.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Wandle Cax posted:

This looks awesome. The first one was excellent so I'm really glad this sequel has been made. I know it will be a reliably entertaining film because Tom Cruise is in it.

Amen. I don't care what anyone says about him. I loving love him and I could watch Tom Cruise movies all day. Seriously. I can think of like, 2? bad Tom Cruise movies. Everything else is entertaining at the least and amazing at best. That's really loving good for a body of work spanning 4 decades.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Tom Cruise movies are great and he's a good and charismatic actor who brings a lot of energy to scenes

who cares if he's nuts, most of hollywood is nuts

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Tom Cruise reminds me of a friend I have who is extremely intense and 100% committed to everything he does.

He also has a bizarre belief system but I think that's just part of the brain chemistry that goes with the personality.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It's a commentary on how popular culture puts such high expectations on people that they undermine the body image of pretty much everyone, even people who in reality are significantly better looking than most of their peers.

Alternative answer: They're targeting a more international audience, and are thus choosing to not adhere as much to the appearance and weight of the average American so as to allow non-Americans to better identify with the characters.

"a commentary on body image" or "The appearance and weight of the average American" is immaterial to my point which is that casting (skinny) Zach Galifanaikis and especially Isla Fisher kills the physical gag. It is significantly less funny than it could be because, for example in that changing room scene where you have Gal Gadot towering over her& then Isla Fisher makes a joke about how the most excitement she has is a terrible sex life (that her character doesn't realize is a joke[?]) none of it reads as funny as it could because Isla Fisher is still very good looking. This isn't something new or unexpected, I mean it's a big budget movie of course they're not going to actually cast someone normal looking, it's like every bad rom-com ever where you have the attractive "unattractive" girl/guy & then the conventionally attractive conceited girl/guy (who's all wrong for the protagonist, duhh).
But it bugs me that they rely so centrally on the contrast as a joke since it doesn't really work but they're so close with Gal Gadot who is so totally insane looking.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Wandle Cax posted:

I really liked the first one too, but McQuarrie has almost nothing to do with this one (He's just listed as a producer). He wrote and directed the last one. Cruise should make it worth watching though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Hat Thoughts posted:

"a commentary on body image" or "The appearance and weight of the average American" is immaterial to my point which is that casting (skinny) Zach Galifanaikis and especially Isla Fisher kills the physical gag. It is significantly less funny than it could be because, for example in that changing room scene where you have Gal Gadot towering over her& then Isla Fisher makes a joke about how the most excitement she has is a terrible sex life (that her character doesn't realize is a joke[?]) none of it reads as funny as it could because Isla Fisher is still very good looking. This isn't something new or unexpected, I mean it's a big budget movie of course they're not going to actually cast someone normal looking, it's like every bad rom-com ever where you have the attractive "unattractive" girl/guy & then the conventionally attractive conceited girl/guy (who's all wrong for the protagonist, duhh).
But it bugs me that they rely so centrally on the contrast as a joke since it doesn't really work but they're so close with Gal Gadot who is so totally insane looking.

Hey for the record I find it real drat exhausting to even begin to discuss subjects like this, but I just want to confirm that you're 100% on the mark, thank you

• Locked thread