Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Chris James 2 posted:

That wasn't what was originally being argued, I agree with that but he was specifically responding to "getting hit in head for free is not fun"

Audience isn't being hit in head, they're watching it. Difference.

Well i was responding to the oversimplification of what CM punk is doing as 'getting hit in the head for free', when what hes really doing is getting to train MMA with some elite coaches and training partners (which involves sometimes getting hit in the head) and getting his expensive hobby/health care costs subsidized by the UFC. Sounds fun to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Then why hasn't he fought anyone?

according to reports he has lots of times, just not in a way thats going to internationally embarrass him in public

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Chris James 2 posted:

Despite what you'd be inclined to think, many people in punchsports aren't big fans of being punched

Even Brock has basically said multiple times being punched isn't fun

But Brock is invincible?!?

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Then why hasn't he fought anyone?

Because (again i dont even know anything about him, this is just common sense) has a reputation and an ego, theres lots of buildup around this fight and he doesnt want to go out and be totally embarrassed in public because that would be embarrassing and also probably mean the end of his free fun MMA fantasy camp

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
[i turn away from the crowd, who remain frozen in time, as a spotlight illuminates me] I mean, if Brock said it...

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
Punch a black belt in the face, and suddenly he's a brown belt. Punch him again and he's a purple belt. Punch him a few more times and he's just a white belt.

Just something about grapplers getting punched that I just thought up myself.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
getting brutalized daily at roufusport probably isn't very good for a 40 year old with 15 years of pro wrestling injuries in him. especially if he won't take hgh and opiates like a normal person. maybe he's actually been too banged up?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Keg posted:

Punch a black belt in the face, and suddenly he's a brown belt. Punch him again and he's a purple belt. Punch him a few more times and he's just a white belt.

Just something about grapplers getting punched that I just thought up myself.

CM Punk is not a grappler.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
You don't even need to punch CM Punk to make him into a white belt.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

CM Punk on his UFC debut on MMA Hour months ago posted:

It's going to be this year.

Chris James 2 fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jun 23, 2016

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

manyak posted:

Anyway i dont know anything about CM punk but the fact that he decided to do a bizarre MMA fantasy camp instead of getting a real job or doing literally anything else means a) he probably doesnt need the money that badly and b) he probably thinks its fun

While irrelevant, he has at least part of a real job, as he's currently co-writer of the Drax comic book. It's a fun read.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS

Xerzes posted:

While irrelevant, he has at least part of a real job, as he's currently co-writer of the Drax comic book. It's a fun read.

lol what does do co-writer mean in this context? That they can slap his name on the cover in hopes of selling 10 more issues a month?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

astrollinthepork posted:

lol what does do co-writer mean in this context? That they can slap his name on the cover in hopes of selling 10 more issues a month?

It goes in detail in this interview from last November but it seems like he contributes a great deal. Marvel and him talked in 2014 and agreed to something, suggested he have a cowriter for whatever project he did, and they both write/review the same amount of material. Legitimately looks like he's better at successfully working on comics than successfully doing MMA training.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Considering that Punk is a new writer and Drax is part of a very hot property, it's not that weird for them to pair him with a co-writer even if his contribution is significant.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

astrollinthepork posted:

I think it means he writes the comic book.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Well, Drax went from selling 49,601 copies with issue #1 to selling 11,259 copies with issue #7. Given that Marvel cancels almost anything below 20,000 that doesn't sell a bunch of trades, I think CM Punk will have even more time to devote to MMA in the future.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Just make every issue #1, problem solved!

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

CM Punk sucks

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

MrSmokes posted:

CM Punk sucks

Let's go Punk

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

astrollinthepork posted:

It's more like Marvel assigned one of their writers for him to screen his ideas through cause he's never written comics before. It turns out he's actually pretty good so far though.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

African AIDS cum posted:

You don't feel getting punched in the face until afterward because of adrenaline, unless it's right on the nose and even that is more about how it messes up your vision. Try it some time

You do if you keep getting hit really hard in the same spot.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values

Jerusalem posted:

Just make every issue #1, problem solved!

Hello I work for Marvel comics and think this idea is brilliant, how soon can you start

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Tato posted:

Hello I work for Marvel comics and think this idea is brilliant, how soon can you start

Sorry, DC already hired me to entirely revamp their entire range of comics and take the company in an entirely new direction.... so I'll be available for hire again in about 3 months.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Triticum Guzzler posted:

[i turn away from the crowd, who remain frozen in time, as a spotlight illuminates me] I mean, if Brock said it...

Haha

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
Punk won't ever fight imo

Will just keep quietly delaying then slip away from ufc at the end of the year and never mention it again

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

manyak posted:

Anyway i dont know anything about CM punk but the fact that he decided to do a bizarre MMA fantasy camp instead of getting a real job or doing literally anything else means a) he probably doesnt need the money that badly and b) he probably thinks its fun

To be fair he made this decision before he actually did any training outside of the online dojo

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

MrSmokes posted:

CM Punk sucks

:yeah:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I saw some link while toilet browsing a bit ago on facebook that says that Punk is going to debut at 203. I did not check to see if it was correct.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Mr. Nice! posted:

I saw some link while toilet browsing a bit ago on facebook that says that Punk is going to debut at 203. I did not check to see if it was correct.

It's right. Confirmed it on the Serra podcast.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

How quickly do you think Punk gets embarrassed?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Mr. Nice! posted:

How quickly do you think Punk gets embarrassed?

it's been ongoing for about 2 years now.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

exploding mummy posted:

it's been ongoing for about 2 years now.

The WHAT. DO. MY. KNUCKLES. SAY live journal is a good decade old too

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The WHAT. DO. MY. KNUCKLES. SAY live journal is a good decade old too

Actually if you read carefully it is the cop who gets embarrassed and owned

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

:allears:

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

Halloween Jack posted:

I'd still rather see CM Punk fight Octagon an Octagonecologyst.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
So Punkered is a massive underdog right? No way this goes out of the first round?

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Chromatic posted:

So Punkered is a massive underdog right? No way this goes out of the first round?

The books have him around +240, so a little more than a 2:1 underdog, so theres probably value in betting against him, in fact its kind of suspicious that the line is like that and hes not a bigger underdog

You can bet on the fight not lasting more than 1.5 rounds at a cool -225

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Ooh, Clevland's driveable and it's headlined by the Overeem/Miocic match. Might go as I've never seen MMA live, the card looks halfway decent, and I can say I was at what will probably be Punk's only MMA match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

manyak posted:

Because (again i dont even know anything about him, this is just common sense) has a reputation and an ego, theres lots of buildup around this fight and he doesnt want to go out and be totally embarrassed in public because that would be embarrassing and also probably mean the end of his free fun MMA fantasy camp

This.

That said, though, I do think there's definitely an agenda on his part that isn't so much about the money as much as it is about proving a point that he really is a big money draw who'll move a PPV buyrate simply by having his name attached to it, which was the big falling out between him and WWE. He can reasonably do that while losing competitively (look at Lesnar's drawing power), but if he gets made to look like a fraud and a garbageman, then he looks like, well... a fraud and a garbageman.

• Locked thread