Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Is there anywhere that has a good spoiler free (of the future chapters) recap of what happened in the first two chapters of Higurashi? My memory of them is blurry as it has been over a year since I read the first chapter and over half a year since I read the second. I don't want to Google this on my own as I will probably run into spoilers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

oh sweet, now i can get through it before ztd is out.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

MegaZeroX posted:

Is there anywhere that has a good spoiler free (of the future chapters) recap of what happened in the first two chapters of Higurashi? My memory of them is blurry as it has been over a year since I read the first chapter and over half a year since I read the second. I don't want to Google this on my own as I will probably run into spoilers.

I'd watch the first 6 episodes of the anime for a quick recap. They're spoiler free for the future chapters.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
What a neat little surprise. If the previous chapters are any indication, graphics/voices patches should show up in about a month. Also this is kind of a big hump to get over because chapter 4 is very short and then you're in the Answer chapters which are pretty incredible. Tatarigoroshi itself is very good too though on its own, and in many ways is the first "real" Higurashi chapter for me in that Ryukishi07 seemed to figure out both both his prose and pacing as a writer.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It was supposed to come out next week but I guess they decided to release it early for some reason? I hope you're ready to "enjoy" this lovely chapter. Don't worry guys, this time everything will go smoothly.

"Early" is a very relative term in the context of Steam Higurashi considering the whole thing has the most hilariously slow release pace this side of Kentucky Route Zero.

psy_wombats
Dec 1, 2009

Would it be worth picking up the first three chapters now? Or would I just be frustrated waiting for the next installments?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Definitely pick them up as they come out. It's great having this gap, and when all the Question arcs are out read everything again and try to find out the truth before the Answer arcs are released.

Also I'm halfway through Tatarigoshi and I don't want bad things to happen. Can we just have a nice and happy chapter?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

If the anime was really a decently cut down experience,, the third arc must be an extremely uncomfortable read.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

voltcatfish posted:

If the anime was really a decently cut down experience,, the third arc must be an extremely uncomfortable read.

I think Umineko was more effective when it touched on similar themes, but yeah, things aren't so great in the world of Higurashi. In fact, for all the trigger warnings MangaGamer put on Fata Morgana, I'm surprised they aren't putting a few on Higurashi chapter 3.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yeah Tatarigoroshi is bleak as gently caress.

voltcatfish posted:

Keeping in mind that you can't usually have a really involved monologue in an anime adaptation, and that the Higurashi VN is story that thrives on the thought processes and monologuing of its characters well, assuming you watched the anime imagine getting, really, really into the protagonist's head during that whole set of shenanigans. Yikes.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jun 19, 2016

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
Oh cool, there's a VN thread (which actually seems to be doing well!?)

I just marathoned House in Fata Morgana, and I'm surprised there doesn't seem to have been much discussion about it. It was really good, but I think it'll need some time to fully digest my thoughts about it.

It's kind of interesting that despite nearly every point being parallel to Umineko, it ends up feeling like a very different experience, even down to the music. Although the tone can get bleak Fata Morgana's probably the most purely romantic VN I've read, whereas I certainly couldn't say that about Umineko. I can't really decide which I prefer, in the end. Being a sucker for this kind of story though they're definitely my two favorite VNs now.

Also what's the deal with the endings? I'm missing 5 and 7 and I can't remember for the life of me what choices I skipped. Though judging by the other side endings I'm not losing out on much.

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl
I really loved Fata Morgana but haven't played Umineko so can't compare.

All the other endings are straightforward 'make a dumb choice somewhere' things, including several end 0's which aren't even on the ending list.

Ending 7, I believe, is leaving the house without going back for the painting.

Ending 5 is during the second timed choice, if you pick the 'Let It Go' option you're presented with instead of waiting for it to time out.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
Oh poo poo the painting, I forgot about that. The scene where Morgana tells Michel to scribble on him is probably my favorite in the game for how hilariously petty it is :3: Really signaled that everything was going to be all right.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Near the end of Higurashi chapter 3, and I think I've figured it out.

It isnt a question of curse or man, but rather a question of sanity. Is Keiichi insane, or is Hinamizawa?

It isnt much, but re-reading the first two chapters with this mindset might make clues seem obvious.

E: Nevermind, :wtc: was that ending.

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jun 20, 2016

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

With Higurashi, every time I think I start to understand things and develop good theories, the VN destroys them (sometimes literally seconds later). Speculations (from Chapter 3):

Tokano killed Tomitake on Watanagshi (pretty obvious). I'm guessing she did it in chapters 1 and 2 as well. I have no idea how she got him to claw his throat out though.

Tokano was found in the same state as chapter 2, so I'm guessing it has nothing to do with Keichi, or his mental state.

I'm guessing Satoko's uncle was actually killed, but she lied about seeing him. She made a dinner just in case he came back, and had a different sort of breakdown to cause the mess.

The big death poison gas thing: I bet it has something to do with Keichi sending the motorcycle into the swamp, which triggered something. Or the bat. Either way, it explains why it didn't happen in chapter 2.

Given how much we see outside of Keichi's perspective, I'm not sure about my earlier theory of Keichi having some hallucinogenic disorder. Given (as far as I know) that Schizophrenic hallucinations usually come out of some sort of obsession or pre-held belief, I had thought that maybe in each route when he discovered bad things (with Watanagashi and stuff) he would slowly start distrusting his friends and hallucinate about them. For example, I had thought in chapter 1 that he never received food with a needle in it. Additionally, given that Satoko seems to have experienced the same sort thing, this doesn't seem to be the case.

Arguing that there is something going on mentally with Keichi is the "Himinizawa mental disorder" mentioned at the end of chapter 3. Maybe there is something with that. Rena's eyes have gone blank during certain scenes, and with the look in Keichi's eyes that Mion and Rena see when he decides to kill the Uncle, maybe this is a mental disorder induced thing that Rena also has.

My timeline theory has been changed many times over the course of chapter 3. At first, I thought that the chapters were distinct alternate timelines, but then they included remember of events from previous chapters in chapter 3 (the curry contest, meeting Shion, the Old Maid game, etc). So, I then thought that events before Watanagashi from all chapters happened at some point. But then the entire Satoko's uncle thing through that off. I'm currently going with the theory mentioned in the All-Cast thing, and that it is a diverging timeline. Most of the club games and stuff still happen in all chapters, but offscreen. I'm currently presuming that the divergence comes from:

Chapter 1: Keichi distrusts everyone, isn't as close, and interacts with Tomitake before Watanagashi as a result, leading to Ooishi talking to him, and upon learning about his friends from him and getting more obsessive and crazier, the Sonozaki's try to off him.

Chapter 2: Keichi isn't as distrusting, meets Shion and some stuff that follows causes Mion to go bad.

Chapter 3: For whatever reason, Satoko's uncle comes back. I don't know why, but I'm guessing that maybe it has something to do with that body turning up in the very beginning.

There are a lot of questions to be answered:

1) Shion killed herself in both chapters 2 and 3. Why?
2) What is with that syringe seen in chapters 1 and 2?
3) What is the timeline of these chapters? When do they diverge (presuming they do)?
4) Some characters personalities seem to differ between chapters. For example, Ooishi was nice in chapter 1, OK in chapter 2, and a real dick in chapter 3. Why?
5) What happened to Satoko's uncle's corpse?
6) Why did Keichi claw his throat out in chapter 1?
7) How was Keichi seen at Watanagashi in chapter 3?
8) What happened with Coach, Tokano, and Ooishi in chapter 3?
9) What are the "footsteps," given we throw out the hallucination hypothesis?
10) What happened at the end of chapter 2 with Keichi?
11) Generally, how are Mion and Rena triggered to be in "crazy mode." Both Rena and Mion are triggered late chapters 1 and 3, but only Mion is in chapter 2. Why?
12) Who exactly are responsible for the previous killings? In particular, did Satoshi kill the Aunt?
13) What happened to Satoshi?

I probably won't read any responses to my speculation, as I like to figure things out on my own, and I'm afraid of answers disguised as speculation.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jun 22, 2016

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Man, this thread should get pretty fun once the Higurashi Kai chapters start getting released.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

MegaZeroX posted:

There are a lot of questions to be answered:

1) Shion killed herself in both chapters 2 and 3. Why?
2) What is with that syringe seen in chapters 1 and 2?
3) What is the timeline of these chapters? When do they diverge (presuming they do)?
4) Some characters personalities seem to differ between chapters. For example, Ooishi was nice in chapter 1, OK in chapter 2, and a real dick in chapter 3. Why?
5) What happened to Satoko's uncle's corpse?
6) Why did Keichi claw his throat out in chapter 1?
7) How was Keichi seen at Watanagashi in chapter 3?
8) What happened with Coach, Tokano, and Ooishi in chapter 3?
9) What are the "footsteps," given we throw out the hallucination hypothesis?
10) What happened at the end of chapter 2 with Keichi?
11) Generally, how are Mion and Rena triggered to be in "crazy mode." Both Rena and Mion are triggered late chapters 1 and 3, but only Mion is in chapter 2. Why?
12) Who exactly are responsible for the previous killings? In particular, did Satoshi kill the Aunt?
13) What happened to Satoshi?

I probably won't read any responses to my speculation, as I like to figure things out on my own, and I'm afraid of answers disguised as speculation.

I'm in the exact same boat as you, and I agree with your theory of Keichi's perceptions being the main point of contention. I don't think he's insane anymore, just stupid.

As for your questions, I think the answers are fairly obvious:
1- In Chapter 2, her sister was a mad killer and tortured her half to death. Her reason for committing suicide there is clear. In Chapter 3, all of Hinamizawa straight up died. I'm guessing it's related to shoving a motorbike into the swamp.
2- The syringe likely contains a drug that induces a frenzied state. Probably has a sister drug for calming? I say that because I think Rika owns it (I think she used it in chapter 2 against Mion but lost in the fight?) and it might be for ritual purposes.
3- The timeline is all kinds of messy, since it's always a small number of days before the Watanagashi followed by another few days after the Watanagashi. Chapter 3 probably has the narrowest timeline while Chapter 1's the loosest.
4- The circumstances differed between chapters, I think that the characters behaved similarly. Ooishi was only nice when Keiichi was a valuable lead. He was not as useful or helpful in Chapter 3, in fact he was a key suspect.
5- It's likely that it's the Sonozaki's who cleaned everything up to protect Keiichi.
6- The drug I'd say. It might be ecstasy, since that causes feelings of thirst. An exceptionally dry throat?
7- The only other reliable person in Chapter 3, Satoko, did not see Keiichi at the festival. Rena and Mion are unreliable. This is because we know they have dark sides to them. Potentially this is why Rika died in Chapter 3.
8- I'm thinking it's the Sonozakis keeping pressure off of Keiichi. Only Mion knew exactly what he was going to do, and potentially put him under surveillance. Coach may have just had his drink swapped with the one planned for Keiichi.
9- The footsteps could be Sonozaki agents tailing Keiichi.
10 - At the end of Chapter 2, Keiichi was killed by what he believed to be the phantom of Mion. Maybe he killed himself, since he felt personally guilty for the deaths of Rika and Satoko for triggering Mion's hostility.
11- Rena is easily controlled by Mion, so can be used at will under the pretense of Oyashiro-sama's curse, even if she is aware that is controlled by the Sonozakis (I think she knows). She didnt get triggered in Chapter 2 since those killings were Mion's actions, not the Sonozaki's.
12 and 13- Satoshi likely was shadowed in the same way Keiichi was in Chapter 3. Either the Sonozakis got rid of him (The toy shop is owned by them) or Ooishi found him and even though he lacked evidence, he acted like he did and may have pressured him into suicide to protect Satoko.

Anyhow, in non-Higurashi related talk: VA-11 Hall-A is mediocre and I would not recommend it, but Grisaia 2 is coming out tomorrow and should be pretty fun.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Alternatively, VA-11 Hall-A is really great, and I recommend it. Even with the setting, the characters and dialogue are pretty human and believable, the art"s pretty, and the music's cool.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

My issue with it is that the soundtrack, while good, requires you to manually shuffle it. Could the developers not decide what tracks would work best in these situations, and can I not just hit shuffle on all of them? Also while the writing seems okay, there's no real point to the actual game as bartending is stupidly easy and kinda boring. Nice art and music, but it feels kinda half arsed.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

My issue with it is that the soundtrack, while good, requires you to manually shuffle it. Could the developers not decide what tracks would work best in these situations, and can I not just hit shuffle on all of them? Also while the writing seems okay, there's no real point to the actual game as bartending is stupidly easy and kinda boring. Nice art and music, but it feels kinda half arsed.

The soundtrack doesn't require you to manually shuffle it 24/7, dude. That's only during the bartending portions of the game, and I think it's pretty cool to let you pick and choose the songs and atmosphere you wanna keep. I just picked the 12 chillest songs, put them on shuffle, and called it good. Every other part of the game has a non-jukebox, regular soundtrack.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

That is true, but the bartending part of the game is the game. Everything else is window dressing. I don't want to have to sort through the songs and have to learn their names for what is at most an 8-10 hour game.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

That is true, but the bartending part of the game is the game. Everything else is window dressing. I don't want to have to sort through the songs and have to learn their names for what is at most an 8-10 hour game.

Your song selection gets saved, you can literally spend five minutes at the beginning of the game picking your favorites and then forget about it completely for the rest of the game.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
According to the devlog patrons were originally supposed to have music preferences so you might get some extra story bits or better tips based on what you played. I'm not sure if that feature ended up staying in, though, there was supposed to be a shuffle button too :(

edit: v cool thanks!

Yakiniku Teishoku fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jun 22, 2016

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Yakiniku Teishoku posted:

According to the devlog patrons were originally supposed to have music preferences so you might get some extra story bits or better tips based on what you played. I'm not sure if that feature ended up staying in, though, there was supposed to be a shuffle button too :(

There is a shuffle button, actually. Just click the jukebox button while you're bartending.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

dmboogie posted:

There is a shuffle button, actually. Just click the jukebox button while you're bartending.

Not for the whole soundtrack though.

The characters do pick up after a while though. It's an okay game. Grisaia's out by the way, and is the same price as the last one. Bit silly considering it's meant to be about half as long if even that.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Also while the writing seems okay, there's no real point to the actual game as bartending is stupidly easy and kinda boring.

That is true, but the bartending part of the game is the game. Everything else is window dressing.

Why the heck are you in the Visual Novel thread?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

John Lee posted:

Why the heck are you in the Visual Novel thread?

Good visual novels don't need tacked on gameplay. If the tacked on gameplay is bad, it's a bad visual novel. The game this is closest to is Phoenix Wright, and Phoenix Wright is always at its worst when you're hunting for pixels and searching for evidence. This game is worst when you're making drinks. The issue is that this game is about making drinks whereas Phoenix Wright is about court cases. There are things other than the bad gameplay. Also they make you click a hell of a lot and there's no auto-scroll option that I can find.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

dmboogie posted:

Alternatively, VA-11 Hall-A is really great, and I recommend it. Even with the setting, the characters and dialogue are pretty human and believable, the art"s pretty, and the music's cool.

Whoa, that actually came out? I feel like I have to buy it now that it's finally a thing that exists.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Good visual novels don't need tacked on gameplay. If the tacked on gameplay is bad, it's a bad visual novel. The game this is closest to is Phoenix Wright, and Phoenix Wright is always at its worst when you're hunting for pixels and searching for evidence. This game is worst when you're making drinks. The issue is that this game is about making drinks whereas Phoenix Wright is about court cases. There are things other than the bad gameplay. Also they make you click a hell of a lot and there's no auto-scroll option that I can find.

The game isn't about making drinks, the game's about talking to your patrons with the drinks as window-dressing to make sure you're paying attention. I also don't think it really compares to Phoenix Wright's pixel hunting at all, considering that making drinks takes at the most like 15 seconds once every couple of minutes.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I would find the actual drink making less tedious if I could just click the ingredients instead of dragging them.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I would find the actual drink making less tedious if I could just click the ingredients instead of dragging them.

I'm with you there. The prologue had that as a feature, no idea why they took it out for the game proper.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

dmboogie posted:

I'm with you there. The prologue had that as a feature, no idea why they took it out for the game proper.
I blame David Cage.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Ibram Gaunt posted:

:same:

I kept wondering what happened to this feature when I played yesterday. Writing is very hit-or-miss but I do like the art/ost.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
My friend bought me Code:Realize as a surprise gift in an attempt to get me into otome games. I like shoujo manga/romance stuff so I figured why not?

Verdict: I'm finding the writing good so far, like the characters + art, and Victor is the cutest and a sweetheart imo

Thanks friend!

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day
Code: Realize is very good and if you like shoujo stuff you should absolutely be into otome games! Victor is definitely a cutie and you have a great friend.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I can't wait until all these people speculating about higurashi play the final parts of the VN in 2019.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

Grisaia's out by the way, and is the same price as the last one. Bit silly considering it's meant to be about half as long if even that.

Matter of perspective imo. The original was like 40-50 hours long depending on how fast you read. 15 of which was arguably the common route. Considering that the common route should obviously be shorter since you've already been introduced to all of the character, I don't think that this is such a bad deal since I rather not have to read through a bunch of uninteresting fluff. Maybe it's not as good of a value proposition as the first one, but I don't think 20-25 hours for $40 is a bad value either. poo poo, that's less than what a new audio-book of that length would cost.

Personally, since I've watched the anime first I'm waiting for the version to come out since it's my understand that the all-ages version removes all reference to sex along with the actual scenes, and having the characters avoid the subject is just weird. That being said I'm genuinely curious how they're going to explain Yuuji's backstory if that's the case, so maybe I'll just get both.

SweetBro fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Jun 23, 2016

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

SweetBro posted:

Matter of perspective imo. The original was like 40-50 hours long depending on how fast you read. 15 of which was arguably the common route. Considering that the common route should obviously be shorter since you've already been introduced to all of the character, I don't think that this is such a bad deal since I rather not have to read through a bunch of uninteresting fluff. Maybe it's not as good of a value proposition as the first one, but I don't think 20-25 hours for $40 is a bad value either. poo poo, that's less than what a new audio-book of that length would cost.

Personally, since I've watched the anime first I'm waiting for the version to come out since it's my understand that the all-ages version removes all reference to sex along with the actual scenes, and having the characters avoid the subject is just weird. That being said I'm genuinely curious how they're going to explain Yuuji's backstory if that's the case, so maybe I'll just get both.

I'm not sure who told you that. The all-ages version doesn't remove all sexual references, only the sex scenes. This actually creates a couple of odd little gaps in the story where you might only realise that two characters had sex because it gets mentioned in dialogue much later on, although it's usually not that big a deal.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

Thuryl posted:

I'm not sure who told you that. The all-ages version doesn't remove all sexual references, only the sex scenes. This actually creates a couple of odd little gaps in the story where you might only realise that two characters had sex because it gets mentioned in dialogue much later on, although it's usually not that big a deal.

It was in a highly rated steam review. I see that trusting those is a horrible mistake. "The scales have fallen from my eyes".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Somebody on the translation team said that they toned down some of the sexual humor, I guess? Something like that.