Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
...how is he doing it then!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

sliderule posted:

Yeah my eyes degrade a bit between check-ups, so it wouldn't be permanent for me. :(

It depends on how old you are and how your eyes degrade, my optometrist told me that in your late 20s early 30s your eyes have pretty much settled and if the prescription doesn't change, you're good to go for LASIK. Getting LASIK when your young is a stupid idea.

sigher fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jun 22, 2016

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Shai-Hulud posted:

Just a quick heads up if you want to try the whole Photogrammetry thing. The trial version of Photoscan doesnt let you save or export so you might want to take that into consideration before you start a multi hour rendering process...

What are you rendering on? Hardware wise.

Mang Tomas
Jan 9, 2007
Is getting VorpX to play Skyrim "VR" a good idea? Haven't really finished that game and wondering if playing it in VR is feasible with minimal set up and fiddling with settings. Plan on just playing vanilla for max FPS and stability.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Mang Tomas posted:

Is getting VorpX to play Skyrim "VR" a good idea? Haven't really finished that game and wondering if playing it in VR is feasible with minimal set up and fiddling with settings. Plan on just playing vanilla for max FPS and stability.

Not necessarily. Even with the Virtuix Omni the game was not built with VR in mind at all so the controls and graphics in VR is quite funky. Shadows and stuff have to be off as well as some UI mods to allow the UI to work in VR I believe.

Without the Omni you are forced to walk around Gamepad style which will bring on Motion Sickness in time unless you have worked up a really good immunity to it.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

EdEddnEddy posted:

Without the Omni you are forced to walk around Gamepad style which will bring on Motion Sickness in time unless you have worked up a really good immunity to it.

That being said, if it really interests you it can be really fun. I've been playing Fallout 4 for a couple weeks using KB+M and it's going fine after a rough first couple days.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
saw this on r/oculus

https://www.etsy.com/listing/401036041/oculus-rift-cv1-stand-with-xbox-one

Simple enough design. Too bad it doesn't have two bars sticking out to hold the touch controllers, but that isn't a huge deal since they aren't even available yet.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Sir Tonk posted:

saw this on r/oculus

https://www.etsy.com/listing/401036041/oculus-rift-cv1-stand-with-xbox-one

Simple enough design. Too bad it doesn't have two bars sticking out to hold the touch controllers, but that isn't a huge deal since they aren't even available yet.

The use of the logo there is pretty ballsy.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Shai-Hulud posted:

Just a quick heads up if you want to try the whole Photogrammetry thing. The trial version of Photoscan doesnt let you save or export so you might want to take that into consideration before you start a multi hour rendering process...

Wow really? I didn't even know that. I picked it up since I plan to be using it for a bunch of things coming up, but I figured the trial was just a limited time 30 day use and not that massively gimped. My apologies I suppose for recommending that. I'll never understand why companies put restrictions like "no saving" into trials, its like they want people going out and :filez:' their stuff. Sheesh, sorry about that.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

EdEddnEddy posted:

What are you rendering on? Hardware wise.

A i5-4690k and a 980ti. Im still in the phase of taking to many pictures cause I'm not sure what's the best way of taking them so that obviously drives the time up. I think the last thing I tried was my living room (because everyone does that) with about 250 pictures and it took around 2-3 hours from software start to textured mesh. Not like four days of computing but still frustrating to discover that you can't save after all that.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Tom Guycot posted:

Wow really? I didn't even know that. I picked it up since I plan to be using it for a bunch of things coming up, but I figured the trial was just a limited time 30 day use and not that massively gimped. My apologies I suppose for recommending that. I'll never understand why companies put restrictions like "no saving" into trials, its like they want people going out and :filez:' their stuff. Sheesh, sorry about that.

Yeah a warning at the start of the software would have been nice. The way it is now you can do everything and never even notice it's a trial until you've selected a filename and hit "save". At which point it goes lolnope.
I get that they don't want people to just use their software for 30 days for their stuff and then export everything and never pay them a dime, but this way I can never even show someone what the software can do without leaving my computer running forever or recreating everything everytime. Great marketing!

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Shai-Hulud posted:

Yeah a warning at the start of the software would have been nice. The way it is now you can do everything and never even notice it's a trial until you've selected a filename and hit "save". At which point it goes lolnope.
I get that they don't want people to just use their software for 30 days for their stuff and then export everything and never pay them a dime, but this way I can never even show someone what the software can do without leaving my computer running forever or recreating everything everytime. Great marketing!

That really sucks, I wish I would have known that before blathering on about all this. I would have loved to see your results. Autodesk has a program called remake, it *looks* like you can export a mesh with the free version, but you're limited to no more than 125 photos. That might be worth playing around with? The other photogrammetry programs I could see look like they all limit exporting the mesh in the free/trial versions.

How did your results look at least in the software? Did it look like it came out with the pictures you used?

EDIT: The autodesk software in question http://remake.autodesk.com/try-remake

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jun 23, 2016

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

I have to say Vive was the right choice, I originally got into VR with sims in mind and I keep wanting play around with them, but I can't loving stop playing audioshield and hordeZ.

Still.... gently caress HTC's customer service... why must you make things that are so awesome but make me hate you with your lovely customer service HTC?

Pi Mu Rho
Apr 25, 2007

College Slice

Tom Guycot posted:

That really sucks, I wish I would have known that before blathering on about all this. I would have loved to see your results. Autodesk has a program called remake, it *looks* like you can export a mesh with the free version, but you're limited to no more than 125 photos. That might be worth playing around with? The other photogrammetry programs I could see look like they all limit exporting the mesh in the free/trial versions.

How did your results look at least in the software? Did it look like it came out with the pictures you used?

EDIT: The autodesk software in question http://remake.autodesk.com/try-remake

Christ, the hardware requirements for local rendering on that are insane.

Edit: Something occurred to me regarding rendering black objects. It's a bit of manual work, but if you edit the source photos and mask/recolour the black furniture for point cloud generation, then use the original photos for texture generation, it might eliminate the issue of black objects being ignored.

Pi Mu Rho fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Jun 23, 2016

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Pi Mu Rho posted:

Holy poo poo :eyepop: I didn't even see that.

quote:

Minimum Requirements
64 bit Microsoft® Windows® 7 or later
64GB system RAM
50GB free storage space
Nvidia GFX card with 4GB VRAM

Recommended Requirements
64 bit Microsoft® Windows® 7 or later
128GB system RAM
NVMe PCIe SSD with 100GB free storage space
Nvidia GFX card:
• One or more Quadro M6000 cards OR
• One GeForce Titan X with 12GB VRAM
Multiple Xeon processors

Pi Mu Rho posted:

Edit: Something occurred to me regarding rendering black objects. It's a bit of manual work, but if you edit the source photos and mask/recolour the black furniture for point cloud generation, then use the original photos for texture generation, it might eliminate the issue of black objects being ignored.

Editing dozens or hundreds of pictures manually, sounds like more work than just physically covering the objects to be honest, and then using separate pictures uncovered to generate the textures to lay over it. Well, I guess depending on the type of object and how intricate it is. Speaking of which I did another test earlier today, doing just that...well the first part anyways, covering them up. I'm no where near advanced enough yet to work out how to fix the model, then apply a custom texture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aj5cadBBJCM

I would probably say if the object is going to be covered up, considering how much it doesn't like flat solid colours either, to get some cheapo wrapping paper thats got a pattern on it, and is some stand out bright colour. I just used some place mats and tea towels for a test, but the results were fantastic, the objects finally are fully there. There are still plenty of errors, and of course cleaning up the model is going to be the next big challenge, but one other thing it looks like I've learned the hard way is dark objects seem to leave a 'shadow' on the white walls they cover in some pictures. For example on the book case, on either side of it there are black streaks on the walls from where i took sideways and angled pictures of the bookcase that covered up part of the wall from that angle. In future tests I'm going to try and take less photos that overlay a dark black in front of a white wall.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Pi Mu Rho posted:

Seems about par with requirements for a rendering farm these days.

Pi Mu Rho
Apr 25, 2007

College Slice

Tom Guycot posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aj5cadBBJCM

I would probably say if the object is going to be covered up, considering how much it doesn't like flat solid colours either, to get some cheapo wrapping paper thats got a pattern on it, and is some stand out bright colour. I just used some place mats and tea towels for a test, but the results were fantastic, the objects finally are fully there. There are still plenty of errors, and of course cleaning up the model is going to be the next big challenge, but one other thing it looks like I've learned the hard way is dark objects seem to leave a 'shadow' on the white walls they cover in some pictures. For example on the book case, on either side of it there are black streaks on the walls from where i took sideways and angled pictures of the bookcase that covered up part of the wall from that angle. In future tests I'm going to try and take less photos that overlay a dark black in front of a white wall.

That's a hell of an improvement.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
my vr customer service story

The plastic tab keeping the battery from engaging in the Oculus remote got stuck and wouldn't pull out. I didn't know the back slid off and didn't want to break it so I emailed oculus support. Got a response in a few hours and they were very nice. Remote works fine now.

Man, that looks really good.

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Sir Tonk posted:

The plastic tab keeping the battery from engaging in the Oculus remote got stuck and wouldn't pull out. I didn't know the back slid off and didn't want to break it

Ah man, I feel dumb now; I didn't realize that either and accidentally tore off part of the plastic tab on mine, so had to very carefully use needle nose pliers to get mine out.

Then I discovered that it doesn't like the USB3 chipset on my motherboard or the video adapter I got, so I'm currently in a holding pattern until Amazon delivers the recommended ones.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Mordaedil posted:

Seems about par with requirements for a rendering farm these days.

I'm halfway there with 32G. Whats upgrading to the full 64G Eh? :getin:

It is things like this and the Encoding/Video Editing I do here and there that make me happy I went with a 6 core when I did. When you are not gaming, and sort of creative outlet requires some really good number crunching and the only thing holding me up now is scratch space/HDD speed. Finally got some room with 1TB SSD now but drat if the size requirements (and therefor speed throughput) just grow exponentially as you go up in video quality.

Also Lemming.

https://twitter.com/quarkcannon/status/745932801057361920

:vrfrog:

EdEddnEddy fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jun 23, 2016

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Sir Tonk posted:

The plastic tab keeping the battery from engaging in the Oculus remote got stuck and wouldn't pull out.

Yeah, it's dumb. They're fixing it.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Oculus Home is having a summer sale that ends on July 5th. Steam summer sale is going on until July 4th.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Obtained a 3D SBS copy of How To Train Your Dragon and watched some in Rift, it was so cool. Feel like that is a huge portion of the appeal, just being able to have a huge TV or an IMAX via Bigscreen or Oculus Video (although holy crap do they need to update the codec support for the latter). The 3D was brilliant, I really want to watch Gravity and Avatar next.

Zsinjeh posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPMwAo6J_ug I am cracking the gently caress up at this Pirate Guy in this video. Great example of how social vr can be, even with only one guy talking
This was loving hilarious for some reason, especially when he slowly emerged from the centre of the table.

e: also looks like they did an update for the Foo Show, anyone checked it out? I had a look before the update but couldn't get it to set the proper view height, it was really low no matter what I did. Guessing an issue with Rift given that (I assume) they are developing primarily on Vive at the moment?

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jun 23, 2016

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Hmm, now to figure out which of these discounted Steam VR games is actually worth buying...

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

El Grillo posted:

Obtained a 3D SBS copy of How To Train Your Dragon and watched some in Rift, it was so cool. Feel like that is a huge portion of the appeal, just being able to have a huge TV or an IMAX via Bigscreen or Oculus Video (although holy crap do they need to update the codec support for the latter). The 3D was brilliant, I really want to watch Gravity and Avatar next.

This was loving hilarious for some reason, especially when he slowly emerged from the centre of the table.

e: also looks like they did an update for the Foo Show, anyone checked it out? I had a look before the update but couldn't get it to set the proper view height, it was really low no matter what I did. Guessing an issue with Rift given that (I assume) they are developing primarily on Vive at the moment?

I hope they fixed the weird arm thing because that was really distracting

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
My oculus remote's back cover was almost impossible to slide off. Took me like an hour of effort just to get the battery tab out of it.

w00tazn fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jun 23, 2016

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Poetic Justice posted:

Oculus Home is having a summer sale that ends on July 5th. Steam summer sale is going on until July 4th.

What's the sale? All the prices look the same.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

What's the sale? All the prices look the same.

It should just show in its own category. Some people werent getting the update and had to reboot their computer, sorta weird but worth a try.

https://www2.oculus.com/experiences/rift/

The sale items should be right below featured.

somethingawful bf fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jun 23, 2016

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
So the two games worth buying that aren't avail on steam that have been recommended in this thread are darknet and chronos?

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Bhodi posted:

So the two games worth buying that aren't avail on steam that have been recommended in this thread are darknet and chronos?

I haven't played Darknet, but I completely recommend Chronos for sure.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life

Poetic Justice posted:

yesssss

edit: Project Cars is $15 on Steam lol.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

w00tazn posted:

yesssss

edit: Project Cars is $15 on Steam lol.

The one on Oculus Home is the GOTY version, which is $40 on Steam.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Poetic Justice posted:

The one on Oculus Home is the GOTY version, which is $40 on Steam.

Does it come with a Steam key?

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

KakerMix posted:

Does it come with a Steam key?

I dunno I got it on Steam, I don't think it does though. It is a game I recommend getting off of Steam though since the multiplayer servers are separate between Steam and Home, and many more people have the Steam version.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Poetic Justice posted:

I dunno I got it on Steam, I don't think it does though. It is a game I recommend getting off of Steam though since the multiplayer servers are separate between Steam and Home, and many more people have the Steam version.

That's real dumb what the heck.
Has anyone anywhere asked why it's like that? If Playstations and PCs can play the same games together then I don't get why PCs and PCs can't play together.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

KakerMix posted:

Has anyone anywhere asked why it's like that? If Playstations and PCs can play the same games together then I don't get why PCs and PCs can't play together.

It's Really dumb. Also you can play the Steam version just fine on the Oculus so there is no reason not to get it on Steam.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Im guessing it uses steamworks or something like that for multiplayer and they are only allowed to use that when its sold on steam.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Chronos is kinda expensive, but interesting, could someone describe what they like about it and whether they think its worth it?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Edit: fuk u Shai

KakerMix posted:

I think the theory is that they use Steamworks or something for their Stem multi, and then a separate thing for Oculus. Elite: Dangerous for example has crossplay, so it's definitely possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Poetic Justice posted:

I haven't played Darknet, but I completely recommend Chronos for sure.

Darknet is a pretty cool puzzle/hacking game. If you watch Giant Bomb's Oculus launch day video here: http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/oculus-rift-launch-lineup-part-01/2300-11076/ Jeff Gerstmann plays it (skip forward to about the 54 minute mark). Jeff said it might be his favorite game out of the Oculus launch lineup. It's pretty simple and not like graphically wowing aside from a good sense of space, but the VR portion is used smartly and it is just a good, fun game with some decent progression in terms of a few unlockables and increasing difficulty.

Chinaman7000 posted:

Chronos is kinda expensive, but interesting, could someone describe what they like about it and whether they think its worth it?

Chronos is one of the few launch games that felt like a real, full game and not a tech demo. It's sort of a Dark Soul-lite third person game but with a fixed camera. You're fighting tough enemies, needing to block and dodge, you respawn at crystals (like bonfires) with monsters respawned and refilled health items. You unlock shortcuts. It's very cool to look around the rooms and spaces you are in and have that sense of immersion even if it is not first person. It also has some neat leveling up systems - every time you die you age a year, and as you get older it is tougher to upgrade strength and dexterity, but easier to upgrade arcane. I thought it was worth it at full price.