Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'm relistening to TAZ and it's weird to see Travis trying to make Magnus a cool badass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm relistening to TAZ and it's weird to see Travis trying to make Magnus a cool badass.

Four pages of elaborate backstory is Travis as gently caress

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

fatherboxx posted:

Four pages of elaborate backstory is Travis as gently caress

"Well, I was born in Raven's Roost..." is my new go-to phrase for joking about overly detailed, irrelevant backstories.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Justin being antsy about Taako being gay when he gave him such a silly voice is funny because every other MaxFun show that gets promoted on theirs features someone with an ultra cringeworthy stereotypical gay voice as one of the hosts.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Guy Mann posted:

Justin being antsy about Taako being gay when he gave him such a silly voice is funny because every other MaxFun show that gets promoted on theirs features someone with an ultra cringeworthy stereotypical gay voice as one of the hosts.

hey now, Elliott Kahlen sounds like a cartoon turtle not a stereotypical gay man

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
I think he's talking about the one from the podcast composed entirely of stereotypical douches with the french speaking journalist and whatever the gently caress a media analyst is.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Whizbang posted:

I think he's talking about the one from the podcast composed entirely of stereotypical douches with the french speaking journalist and whatever the gently caress a media analyst is.

no sir he clearly said "every other MaxFun show" so that means every other MaxFun show dammit

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

Whizbang posted:

One(?) of those guys are gay.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

poor life choice posted:

One(?) of those guys are gay.

Nobody is actually that gay.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Alaois posted:

no sir he clearly said "every other MaxFun show" so that means every other MaxFun show dammit

I always thought John Hodgman had a certain homosexual cadence to his voice.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Alaois posted:

Every other show meaning every second show, not every single other show?

Mikedawson posted:

I always thought John Hodgman had a certain homosexual cadence to his voice.
Why you gotta barrage the Hodge when you have Getting Curious and Throwing Shade literally right there.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
Now, folks, there is a difference between having accents or inflections in your natural speaking voice, and doing a similar voice for laughs on a comedy podcast. For instance, if someone was born in a non-english speaking country and had a accent, they are cool. Someone mimicking someone from a non-english speaking country with a racist accent for laughs is not cool.

Justin was worried that his voice for Taako fell into the second category. Pretty simple.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
It's neat to me that Justin has to make an effort to do Taako's voice, while people like Guy Branum and Elliott Kalan just speak that way naturally.

e: Not necessarily insinuating that Kalan is gay, just that his normal speaking voice sounds like a cartoon character's.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Now there's also Minority Corner, or as I like to call it, Throwing Shadier

Evelyn Nesbit
Jul 8, 2012

SpacePig posted:

It's neat to me that Justin has to make an effort to do Taako's voice, while people like Guy Branum and Elliott Kalan just speak that way naturally.

e: Not necessarily insinuating that Kalan is gay, just that his normal speaking voice sounds like a cartoon character's.

Elliot Kalan's voice is so annoying to me that I can't even listen to their promos. I admire people who can sit through entire episodes of the Flophouse.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.
Please stop cyber bullying Elliot.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Please cyber bully that guy more actually

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Now, take Elliot Kalan's voice, and have it so it's constantly off-key singing half-remembered riffs of the most annoying earwormy songs in the world with the express purpose of annoying the everliving hell out of everyone listening to it.

That's the Flophouse.

Dude can write the hell out of a comic book, though.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Meowjesty posted:

~looooong iiiirriiiitaaaatiiiing poooosts liiiike thiiiis oooone~

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I rather enjoy the flophouse and probably wouldn't have started on it if not for their guest adventure zone. Also Elliot's voice is way less irritating on the show than in the ad.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

kidcoelacanth posted:

I rather enjoy the flophouse and probably wouldn't have started on it if not for their guest adventure zone. Also Elliot's voice is way less irritating on the show than in the ad.

Counterpoint: I couldn't listen to their guest Adventure Zone because of Elliot's voice.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Toxxupation posted:

Now, take Elliot Kalan's voice, and have it so it's constantly off-key singing half-remembered riffs of the most annoying earwormy songs in the world with the express purpose of annoying the everliving hell out of everyone listening to it.

That's the Flophouse.

Dude can write the hell out of a comic book, though.

also the second he starts talking about comic books, hollywood history or starts giving a movie recommendation, every single time i'm astonished with how much knowledge he just has and can rattle off at a moments notice

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I think the whole switcheroo was a bad idea. I didn't really like anything that came out of it except for the McElroy Flophouse episode, and even that was just okay.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Waffleman_ posted:

I think the whole switcheroo was a bad idea. I didn't really like anything that came out of it except for the McElroy Flophouse episode, and even that was just okay.

On the other hand, I started listening to MBMBaM because I'm a Flophouse listener and got won over by their switcheroo episode :)

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Eliot's voice is like secondhand cigarette smoke, it's really bad but given enough exposure you don't really notice it that much.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

If people have enough audio Stockholm Syndrome that they can enjoy that podcast, more power to you. I would rather not be taken hostage in the first place.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

Waffleman_ posted:

I agree, but with the notable exception of it being partially responsible for the introduction of Carrie Fangbattle. gently caress yeah Team Sweet Flips.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Meowjesty posted:

Seriously John Hodgeman already bullies that poor lad enough

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
the John Hodgeman ep of Flophouse is great and the only one I've ever been able to finish.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

also lmao at anyone who posts in a McElroy Brothers Megathread throwing shade on anybody else podcast voices when 2 of the 3 McElroy brothers sound like they're breathing through masks made of ham

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
Elliot's voice is good and pure, but contains tones that drive off undesirables, like that mosquito sound they use to stop teens from loitering

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Alaois posted:

also lmao at anyone who posts in a McElroy Brothers Megathread throwing shade on anybody else podcast voices when 2 of the 3 McElroy brothers sound like they're breathing through masks made of ham

Did you post this in the previous MBMBAM thread when Elliot's Grating Cartoon Voice chat happened or can I see through time?

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Alaois posted:

The first time I heard them I thought one of them was Dana Snyder.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
I listen to the flop house and it's good but when Elliot sings I want to beat him up in real life. Triggered AF.

Also I know we talk about this all the time but that Pop Rocket ad is the most effective anti ad I've ever seen. I wish there was a way that I could preemptively unsubscribe so hard that they actually lose two listeners

Also what the gently caress is the deal with that Beefcast? Too much loving TWEE

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jun 24, 2016

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Scudworth posted:

Did you post this in the previous MBMBAM thread when Elliot's Grating Cartoon Voice chat happened or can I see through time?

probably

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

I listen to the flop house and it's good but when Elliot sings I want to beat him up in real life. Triggered AF.

Also I know we talk about this all the time but that Pop Rocket ad is the most effective anti ad I've ever seen. I wish there was a way that I could preemptively unsubscribe so hard that they actually lose two listeners

Also what the gently caress is the deal with that Beefcast? Too much loving TWEE

I thought the same thing but it's actually loving great. It's basically Look Around You the podcast.

Also Getting Curious' ad is the loving worst bar none.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum
You wanna talk McElroy voices, I stopped listening to Sawbones because Sydnee's way of speaking is so incredibly monotone I'd start drifting off at work no matter how crazy the subject.
It's a perfect doctor voice.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

Also I know we talk about this all the time but that Pop Rocket ad is the most effective anti ad I've ever seen.

All podcast ads are bad. I think it's impossible to make a good one, I've never heard one even for shows I love.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

I think you'll find the Adventure Zone promos are a critical hit!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I think the Flophouse guys could beat up the McElroy brothers but Sean and Hayes would probably beat both in a battle royale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

Scudworth posted:

You wanna talk McElroy voices, I stopped listening to Sawbones because Sydnee's way of speaking is so incredibly monotone I'd start drifting off at work no matter how crazy the subject.
It's a perfect doctor voice.

All podcast ads are bad. I think it's impossible to make a good one, I've never heard one even for shows I love.

The radiolab spoof one SPY did was pretty great. I like Jordan Jesse Go's as well. Oh no ross and Carrie's used to be good but the most recent ones are inscrutable