Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Mihawk was slicing up ships with a single swing back near the beginning, and we were introduced to Whitebeard as early as Alabasta, where I would assume Oda had some idea of how powerful he would be. One of the things I like about One Piece is that it laid down the basics for its power levels very early on and stuck to them. I genuinely think Shanks just powered up like loving crazy between saving Luffy and Luffy going out to sea himself. It was ten years, after all.

Yeah that makes sense to me. Remember that while Shanks was on Roger's crew, he was in the same position as Buggy. One of them hung around west blue stirring up poo poo while the other went off to the New World.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Begemot posted:

Yeah that makes sense to me. Remember that while Shanks was on Roger's crew, he was in the same position as Buggy. One of them hung around west blue stirring up poo poo while the other went off to the New World.

Was it ever said that Shanks was this monolithic figure back when he gave Luffy the hat? He could have become famous afterwards.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends

Oxxidation posted:

One of Shanks' first appearances had people near him passing out from an excess of Shanks in their atmosphere. He then swung a sword hard enough to make the sky run away.

Kizaru nearly poo poo his pants at the presence of Shanks' first mate.

The Red Hair Pirates don't play, son.

This says even more when you realize Kizaru's first response to seeing the former PIRATE KING's first mate was to try and attack him.

Re:Shanks and the Sea King

I always got the impression that Shanks dove for Luffy at the last second before the SK bit, and that attacking it was not an option. He simply had only enough time to grab Luffy and splash away to a distance (which he did in the instant he grabs him, he's fast as gently caress already, remember they're a healthy distance away so Shanks can give it the evil eye) and in doing so he passed by the chomping jaws. Even current Shanks probably couldn't just get bit by a SK and like, resist it even with haki armor or something.

Advice fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jun 21, 2016

Fuckshoes
Jul 11, 2001

sup ladies

Crazyeyes posted:

Was it ever said that Shanks was this monolithic figure back when he gave Luffy the hat? He could have become famous afterwards.

It was never explicitly stated if Shanks was a Yonkou back then, but I doubt it. I think he was just a rookie during his time at Foosha Village, on par with someone like Arlong. I'm guessing he'd be known to the pirate community thanks to his time aboard the Oro Jackson, but still relatively unknown to the WG and the general public. He lost his arm simply because he wasn't strong or fast enough to both fight and save Luffy at the same time.

After picking up Yasopp, he spent the better part of a year in Luffy's hometown using it as a base. That means he could have spent several years loafing around East Blue, and why would the World Government let someone as crazy strong and notorious as current-Shanks just wander around in the weakest sea? Back then he could have been relatively obscure enough to wander around without attracting too much attention, and still easily deal with the Marines that went after him. I mean, Nezumi and Morgan were both captains, so how strong can East Blue Marines really be?

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Shanks had arm-cancer, and by losing his arm he finally was able to achieve his full power.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
That said, he was apparently as good as or better than Mihawk before he lost his arm, and their current slightly distant relationship is because Dracule doesn't think he'd put up as interesting a fight any more. So unless Mihawk's mistaken (which seems unlikely), present-day Shanks is slightly less dangerous than him.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I'm of the firm belief that Shanks lost his arm purposefully to spur Luffy into getting stronger and being able to protect himself and the people he cares about. You know Luffy would absolutely blame himself for letting Shanks lose his arm and wanting to become stronger because of it.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Crosspeice posted:

I'm of the firm belief that Shanks lost his arm purposefully to spur Luffy into getting stronger and being able to protect himself and the people he cares about. You know Luffy would absolutely blame himself for letting Shanks lose his arm and wanting to become stronger because of it.

that sounds a little too mastermind-y for a character like shanks imo

i think it fits alot better both in the world of one piece and as someone luffy looks up to if he just acted without thinking, immediately saving another person's life with zero regard as to how it would affect him

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I think he lost the arm because he had to get Luffy out of the way and that's all he was trying to do.

Of course he could beat up the creature, but Luffy would still have gotten hurt, and he prioritized Luffy's safety over his own.

The idea that he did it to traumatize/inspire Luffy is... kinda missing the point. He saved Luffy's life at the cost of his own arm, because that's how he rolls. Being monstrously powerful does not change the emotional weight of that exchange.

Romance Dawn is all about what's really important. Insults don't matter to Shanks and he lets the bandits go, but Luffy's safety does and he destroys them. Shank's own arm is the same. It doesn't matter when compared to Luffy's safety.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
It's curious to me that they haven't really established why Shanks is a Yonko. He doesn't seem to have territory, folks sworn to him, or any other real super power outside of being 'known as very strong'.

Leviabeetus
Feb 14, 2010

EatinCake posted:

It's curious to me that they haven't really established why Shanks is a Yonko. He doesn't seem to have territory, folks sworn to him, or any other real super power outside of being 'known as very strong'.

I'm assuming he has one of the four poneglyphs that points the way to One Piece. I'd presume all four emperors do, and that that's the actual reason for their status. Also the reason for why there's four emperors, and not three or five.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Leviabeetus posted:

I'm assuming he has one of the four poneglyphs that points the way to One Piece. I'd presume all four emperors do, and that that's the actual reason for their status. Also the reason for why there's four emperors, and not three or five.

There are four poneglyphs but one of them is missing.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Not missing anymore! ( it's on Zou :ssh:)

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

EatinCake posted:

It's true that we don't really know what he has been up to but frankly we are only just learning what the Yonko are up to at all so we will probably get there!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Darth Walrus posted:

That said, he was apparently as good as or better than Mihawk before he lost his arm, and their current slightly distant relationship is because Dracule doesn't think he'd put up as interesting a fight any more. So unless Mihawk's mistaken (which seems unlikely), present-day Shanks is slightly less dangerous than him.

mihawk is also pretty clearly in the top level of strong people in OP but he's just a dick who nobody likes/loner which is why he floats around by himself loving people up rather than being a proper pirate

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I love how Mihawk doesn't have a crew so he just goes around in a tiny little boat shaped like a coffin that features only a sail, some spooky torches, and a throne for him to sit on.

Presumably he paddles with his giant sword when he wants to go somewhere.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Brother Entropy posted:

that sounds a little too mastermind-y for a character like shanks imo

i think it fits alot better both in the world of one piece and as someone luffy looks up to if he just acted without thinking, immediately saving another person's life with zero regard as to how it would affect him

he tells whitebeard he bet his arm on the future so no he probably did do just that

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Crazyeyes posted:

Not missing anymore! ( it's on Zou :ssh:)

You might want to read that chapter agin, Chief. 818

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Darth Walrus posted:

That's not necessarily true. He may just think Shanks would be a less interesting swordsman, not a less interesting opponent full stop and just not want to fight him on a personal level because he puts more value on a sword fight than on a fight of any other kind, like Zoro. That allows Shanks to be stronger without pitting him against Mihawk, since Mihawk's main interest is gone. I don't know which is more powerful in reality or anything, just pointing it out.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Well since Blackbeard's our only big bad without one, I'm betting the last poneglyph was hidden on Baltigo.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Blackbeard IS the last poneglyph.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

"All this time the last ponoglyph was in your eye socket!?!?"

" Mihawk said it was a Get Better at Sword Fighting rune..."

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I maintain that Zoro's other eye wandered off and got lost while he wasn't looking. It's my theory and I'm sticking to it :zoro:

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

tsob posted:

That's not necessarily true. He may just think Shanks would be a less interesting swordsman, not a less interesting opponent full stop and just not want to fight him on a personal level because he puts more value on a sword fight than on a fight of any other kind, like Zoro. That allows Shanks to be stronger without pitting him against Mihawk, since Mihawk's main interest is gone. I don't know which is more powerful in reality or anything, just pointing it out.

It's no longer interesting because Shanks can't use his non-dominant hand anymore so Mihawk loses every time.

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

Manatee Cannon posted:

he tells whitebeard he bet his arm on the future so no he probably did do just that

Gotta go with Brother Entropy on this. "I bet it on the future" is just a poetic way of saying he lost it saving a kid that he expects will be a great pirate.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Crazyeyes posted:

It's no longer interesting because Shanks can't use his non-dominant hand anymore so Mihawk loses every time.

I think you're joking, but people who say things like this unironically (more on other sites than here, to be fair) really annoy me. If Shanks is so much stronger than Mihawk, then the World's Strongest Swordsman title is meaningless. The standard explanation from Shanks fanboys is that Shanks can beat Mihawk by shooting Haki laser beams, even though Haki has never been shown to work that way.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I think of both Shanks' and Blackbeard's crews as more or less pirate versions of Baron Munchausen and his servants. Blackbeard's crew looks more like them, but Shanks' crew acts more like them.

Silver2195 posted:

I think you're joking, but people who say things like this unironically (more on other sites than here, to be fair) really annoy me. If Shanks is so much stronger than Mihawk, then the World's Strongest Swordsman title is meaningless. The standard explanation from Shanks fanboys is that Shanks can beat Mihawk by shooting Haki laser beams, even though Haki has never been shown to work that way.

Since Shanks and Mihawk used to duel on the regular 12+ years ago, they were probably around the same level then.However without his arm Shanks probably doesn't count as a swordsman, if he ever did, so Mihawk won't fight him because that would be unswordsmanly. It's quite possible that while they both got stronger since then, Shanks wasn't an Emperor and Mihawk wasn't the world's strongest swordsman at the time.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I think one spoiler from the next chapter should sum things up nicely:

X

:stare:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

I think one spoiler from the next chapter should sum things up nicely:

X

:stare:

Specifically it seems that's for Jimbe who wants to leave Big Mom's crew.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I have now warmed to Jinbe and look forward to his upcoming antics with the Straw Hats.

I wonder if Big Mom is going to be a real threat to Luffy in battle or if her underlings will play a large part; she's huge, but she doesn't look like she's going to be able to stand up to a giant haki-infused fist.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I really doubt her children would tolerate her poo poo if she didn't have the strength to back it up.

Also One Piece is peak Shounen so the boss of a group is always the strongest fighter.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I have now warmed to Jinbe and look forward to his upcoming antics with the Straw Hats.

I wonder if Big Mom is going to be a real threat to Luffy in battle or if her underlings will play a large part; she's huge, but she doesn't look like she's going to be able to stand up to a giant haki-infused fist.

If Oda made Doflamingo, the master-mindiest character in the series, into a super tough fight for Luffy, Big Mom is absolutely going to be a proper fight that tests his limits. Like if there was any chance to mix up the formula, Doffy was it, and Oda did not take it.

GoldenPrice
Oct 2, 2013
MangaStream is up.

I think jimbei is going to lose a limb, and that he's the character that's going to get either a hook or a pegleg.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Big Mum: Jinbe, you leaving would bring great shame to my crew, cost me a valuable resource, and leave a huge void in my organization.
Jinbe: Well, sure. :shrug:

Jinbe's hardcore.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

gnome7 posted:

If Oda made Doflamingo, the master-mindiest character in the series, into a super tough fight for Luffy, Big Mom is absolutely going to be a proper fight that tests his limits. Like if there was any chance to mix up the formula, Doffy was it, and Oda did not take it.
Oda does great showing that the most powerful/influential characters in One Piece aren't always there because of pure strength. There are lots in power that just had really broken Devil Fruit abilities, there are those there who were just good at politics, and there are those there by sheer number advantages. I think Big Mom might be there because of a combination of being powerful and influential, much like Doffy. There's still plenty of people left in power that are there because they're just obscenely powerful to push Luffy to the limits, especially guys like Jack and Kaido who are presumably going to be in the same arc.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
http://readms.com/r/one_piece/830/3486/1

Link

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Praline showed up for 3 pages and I like her already.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Pureauthor posted:

Praline showed up for 3 pages and I like her already.

shes p cool visually

also dangit brook stop alluding to things

GoldenPrice
Oct 2, 2013
Have we seen anything like those black things on the last few panels of page 9 before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

What the gently caress.