Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I thought Aquaman's rival was a bad guy in a black diving suit called "Black Manta", and some time after his introduction it turns out he's called "Black Manta" because he a black guy underneath and not because his of his costume colour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
http://imgur.com/gallery/2R4zsxK

This is a great meme.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

PenguinKnight posted:

the main antagonist of an Aquaman movie should just be a goon continuously screaming "gently caress THE OCEAN! gently caress THE OCEAN!"

Then takes a break by cracking :smug: Aquaman jokes.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Aquaman? More like Cockwaman

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
It's not a well-know fact, but Aquaman's actual superpower is that, as a King, he has diplomatic immunity.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

It's not a well-know fact, but Aquaman's actual superpower is that, as a King, he has diplomatic immunity.

He can actually remark on the ridiculousness of barrels and dogs and the police cannot do anything about it.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 228 days!
They should just straight-up write him as Namor.

You know, the guy who is exactly the same character but badass.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Hodgepodge posted:

They should just straight-up write him as Namor.

You know, the guy who is exactly the same character but boring.

Why?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Namor loses much of what makes him great if they can't have him mack on Reed Richard's wife constantly, and I have no idea whose wife you could have Aquaman mack on. Everyone's, I guess.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Grendels Dad posted:

Namor loses much of what makes him great if they can't have him mack on Reed Richard's wife constantly, and I have no idea whose wife you could have Aquaman mack on. Everyone's, I guess.

Superman's mom.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

The MSJ posted:

Superman's mom.

Can't do that, Batman kills people now.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

With Namor, it's going to be this panel except it's Namor saying he will sleep with all your loved ones.

Of course it will all turn out to be a ruse by Batman to have Namor convicted of pedophilia.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Namor is like a one-note sea douchebag. I haven't seen anything remotely interesting done with him, ever. I guess he's funny in "rear end in a top hat crashes the party" kind of way.

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.
Edit, read your response as aquaman and not Namor...

On that note, I know they are going for a badass Aquaman but I wish we were getting Batman BatB Aquaman.

Throwdown fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jun 23, 2016

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Grendels Dad posted:

The MSJ posted:

Superman's mom.

He's going to steal Spider-Man's sexy aunt away from Tony Stark

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Clark Kent would still help people even if he didn't have powers.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

He's going to steal Spider-Man's sexy aunt away from Tony Stark

That's what is going to set up Marvel v DC.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

They should write Aquaman as a superfriend.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I expect they'll write him almost exactly as they write Thor, except surlier. A bit ye olde, fish out of water (hurr), well meaning, but more volatile.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Davros1 posted:

Clark Kent would still help people even if he didn't have powers.

Agreed. Superman is his disguise so people don't recognize him. Clark Kent is the real driving force, except when he's pretending to be clumsy. This is different from Batman who uses Bruce Wayne as his disguise.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

MonsieurChoc posted:

Namor is like a one-note sea douchebag. I haven't seen anything remotely interesting done with him, ever. I guess he's funny in "rear end in a top hat crashes the party" kind of way.

You should read Hickman's FF and Avengers run, and Gillen using him in X-Men.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Agreed. Superman is his disguise so people don't recognize him. Clark Kent is the real driving force, except when he's pretending to be clumsy. This is different from Batman who uses Bruce Wayne as his disguise.

I have to sort of disagree on Batman but only insofar as the Bruce Wayne that he shows to the world is a disguise, but so is Batman. Batman is how the real Bruce Wayne hides. I felt it was perfectly captured in Mask of the Phantasm where, feeling he has absolutely nothing left to really live for, only then does he puts on the cape and cowl.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
One of Namor's best moments in comics, I think, was his brief two issue crossover with ROM Space Knight, because it showed a different side of Namor you don't get to see too often.

Most of the time Namor clashes with the heroes of the Marvel Universe because they are, relatively, normal people, or at least are supposed to be, with super powers. So Namor fits in more with the megomaniacial Doom than he does, say, Spider-Man.

But the thing with Namor is that he is a hero, he's just a really old school one. He is a grandiose, larger than life, dramatic hero who is defined as much by his faults as he is his virtues, bombastic and over the top beyond measure.

Rom Space Knight is cut from the exact same cloth- Rom is this overly dramatic and always uber serious epic hero guy, who is way more virtue than fault but that's because he is a classical Knight to Namor's King.

So when the two meet, there is no contrast at all. They are instant bros and it is a loving sight to behold as they take on undersea horrors and save lives while bombastically singing one another's praises and mightily exclaiming their own deeds.

Basically Namor is what Thor wishes he could be- all in on the classical hero theme. Thor is often way too wishy washy to fully embrace it.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I don't really know anything about Namor or Aquaman so I might be confusing them, but is Aquaman just some guy from Atlantis? There was a recent post that Willem Dafoe is the king of Atlantis, I would've assumed that was Aquaman. Or is it yet another Son of King situation?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Electromax posted:

I don't really know anything about Namor or Aquaman so I might be confusing them, but is Aquaman just some guy from Atlantis? There was a recent post that Willem Dafoe is the king of Atlantis, I would've assumed that was Aquaman. Or is it yet another Son of King situation?

OG Aquaman was a dude whose dad found Atlantis and some how figured out how to teach his son how to breathe underwater and control fish and poo poo because it was the 30s and 40s gently caress you logic.

They eventually retconed it that his mom was a banished Atlantean princess, making him Heir to the throne when he returned to Atlantis to save it from some fucker or other and became King.

So I doubt DaFoe is Aquaman's dad, but might be set up to be the villain of the Aquaman movie or something if they pursue that kind of storyline of the dude discovering the corruption within the kingdom and ascending the throne as King.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Electromax posted:

It actually looks like Dafoe is playing some royal retainer or something, not the Atlantean king. Or maybe he is ruling Atlantis in Aquaman's absence? Aquaman is usually portrayed as Atlantean royalty, but sometimes he is deposed or overthrown or whatever to make the story interesting, so there is a lot of ways they can play it. In his origin he usually starts out raised by humans and not realizing he is from Atlantis, from the description Dafoe's character is the dude who brings him back into the fold.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Dafoe is playing Vulko, one of the oldest Aquaman supporting characters (created in 1967). He's usually a royal retainer or advisor, although like all things Aquaman he's had quite a few different versions. The way it went in the old continuity is that he was Aquaman's main advisor until he became disenchanted with his rule, at which point he started backing Aquaman's Inuit son Koryak. Then the Spectre nuked Atlantis, with Vulko being among the dead. A new Aquaman found his ghost in the ruins of Atlantis. Then the universe got rebooted and Vulko became an Atlantean politician who was exiled along with Aquaman's mom and he starts a huge war in a stupid gambit to put Aquaman on the throne of Atlantis.

There's something about Aquaman that gets comic writer's imagination going. Every new author gives a different spin on the character and his supporting cast, and gives a new version of Atlantis. While some of these versions are bad (the Larsen and Geoff Johns versions come to mind), there's usually something to like in each of them. I'm pretty excited to see James Wan's version of Aquaman!

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Spotify just gave me this ad :thumbsup:

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

MonsieurChoc posted:

While some of these versions are bad (the Larsen and Geoff Johns versions come to mind), there's usually something to like in each of them. I'm pretty excited to see James Wan's version of Aquaman!

To be fair to Larsen, he hated that gig because the editor kept rewriting whole chunks of each issue, so he washed his hands of it as soon as he could.

"It was an extremely difficult book to write-- on the one hard, the editor wanted me to make Aquaman more cheerful and positive while at the same time he had Aquaman's wife leave him. The "just do it" directive that to me contradicted any logic or reason lead to some very tense exchanges."

Retrowave Joe fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jun 23, 2016

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Retardog posted:

To be fair to Larsen, he hated that gig because the editor kept rewriting whole chunks of each issue, so he washed his hands of it as soon as he could.

"It was an extremely difficult book to write-- on the one hard, the editor wanted me to make Aquaman more cheerful and positive while at the same time he had Aquaman's wife leave him. The "just do it" directive that to me contradicted any logic or reason lead to some very tense exchanges."

I don't see how having your main character be divorced (it had already happened a while before Larsen and mostly resolved) prevents you from making a more cheerful or positive book.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I know Max Landis is super contentious around here, but I really like this Ninja Turtles vision of his: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNwzVmyOtt4

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

edit: ugh, sorry I misread a thing.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Mordiceius posted:

I know Max Landis is super contentious around here, but I really like this Ninja Turtles vision of his: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNwzVmyOtt4

As someone who devoured the old comic books back in the day I enjoyed this, cheese and all.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

NikkolasKing posted:

I have to sort of disagree on Batman but only insofar as the Bruce Wayne that he shows to the world is a disguise, but so is Batman. Batman is how the real Bruce Wayne hides. I felt it was perfectly captured in Mask of the Phantasm where, feeling he has absolutely nothing left to really live for, only then does he puts on the cape and cowl.

There's a great moment in Batman Beyond where Bruce Wayne refers to himself in his own head as Batman. That's who he really is. Bruce Wayne died that night in the alley and gave way to Batman. In the comics when Bruce Wayne was framed for murder he basically said "gently caress it" and totally dropped the Bruce Wayne identity. His extended family had to convince him to re-establish it, in another great moment that had either Tim or Dick ask, "if Bruce Wayne doesn't exist then who adopted me?" Great stuff. poo poo like that is what makes Batman a great and compelling character.

Optimist with doubt
May 16, 2010

Scoop Lover

:vince:

he knows...
Batman as an in depth character is something I feel like we won't really get to explore in depth in this giant blockbuster world of comic book movies.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
From DVD commentaries it seems to me that Conroy deserves a lot of credit for kind of creating the "Bruce Wayne is his actual disguise" idea. Michael Keaton had played Bruce Wayne as somewhat of a creep, he really wasn't doing a good job of disguising himself at all. In the animated series you can really feel the difference in how Conroy's Bruce Wayne voice is a complete put-on, but it works for fancy parties and charity events. The Batman voice is his regular voice, at the very least its much closer to the voice he uses when he's talking to Alfred in the Batcave(where there's no logical reason to disguise his voice) than the Bruce Wayne voice.

Lamont
Mar 31, 2007
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?

MonsieurChoc posted:

The most interesting Namor story I ever read was the one set aboard a submarine where Namor was seen by humans as a monster story/force of nature that they weren't even sure existed.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
The thing I love about Conroy's performance is that his Batman doesn't sound like a put on voice. It just sounds like another person.

I love this scene from Perchance to Dream because you can hear the Bruce voice start to break into Batman, but not completely get there.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

There's a great moment in Batman Beyond where Bruce Wayne refers to himself in his own head as Batman. That's who he really is. Bruce Wayne died that night in the alley and gave way to Batman. In the comics when Bruce Wayne was framed for murder he basically said "gently caress it" and totally dropped the Bruce Wayne identity. His extended family had to convince him to re-establish it, in another great moment that had either Tim or Dick ask, "if Bruce Wayne doesn't exist then who adopted me?" Great stuff. poo poo like that is what makes Batman a great and compelling character.

In the end of The Sandman, during Dream's wake, I like that in the Batman/Superman cameo, Superman is just Clark Kent and Batman is an almost bat-like monstrous figure, since that's how they each see their real identity as.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Timeless Appeal posted:

The thing I love about Conroy's performance is that his Batman doesn't sound like a put on voice. It just sounds like another person.

I love this scene from Perchance to Dream because you can hear the Bruce voice start to break into Batman, but not completely get there.

Also some wicked scoring for a kids cartoon show.

• Locked thread