Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

RealFoxy posted:

Oda does great showing that the most powerful/influential characters in One Piece aren't always there because of pure strength.

The captains of rival Pirate crews that the Strawhats end up fighting are always strong though. They might have other qualities, like Kuro's intelligence, Krieg's reliance on technology, Crocodile's politics or Moira's reliance on shadows, but they're always tough and able to put up a good fight too. Spandam was an enemy for instance, but wasn't a pirate and was always portrayed as weak besides, so that he ended up defeated by Usopp and Robin while Luffy fought Lucci, who was the head of and toughest member of CP9. The non tough people in power just aren't Strawhat enemies really, at least so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

sanji is going to try to leave and almost lose a hand, and then decide to just stay with pudding. and then carrot joins. please...

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

JINBEI GONNA GET A PIRATE ACCESSORY

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

GoldenPrice posted:

Have we seen anything like those black things on the last few panels of page 9 before?

No, and I think they're connected to the weird nature of the inhabitants and possibly Big Mam's powers.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Rigged Death Trap posted:

JINBEI GONNA GET A PIRATE ACCESSORY

A parrot for a hand!

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

oddium posted:

sanji is going to try to leave and almost lose a hand, and then decide to just stay with pudding. and then carrot joins. please...

And then the whole crew will starve to death or die of dsynetry or something, Carrot included. What fun.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
I wonder if Jimbe is going to end up losing his head or maybe we'll finally get to meet eye patch guy.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

tsob posted:

And then the whole crew will starve to death or die of dsynetry or something, Carrot included. What fun.

[oda shoehorns in some backdoor super chakra] oda.... does it again !!

[oda hand waves away needing a gourmet chef to keep 10 people fed at sea] can't be done. impossible. come on

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Yes, and it becomes an example of terrible writing after the same writer spent a good bit of time building up why travelling without a chef is a bad idea between this arc and East Blue at the start of the story. Not to mention Sanji learning all those Okamaland recipes that buff the eater, which would come to nothing and probably some other stuff too. Carrot is a fun character, but Sanji isn't going anywhere and doing so at this point would be silly. Better to hope Sanji becomes fun again instead if you're going to make wild wishes, since Carrot, Pedro and co are almost certain to be an ally crew instead, and serve their purpose fine there.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
IT'S HAPPENING

bondster
May 6, 2007

This is actually a clever way to both have Jimbei join the crew AND handicap him so he isn't too powerful for the crew

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Arms and legs aren't the only thing on that wheel, so let's not get a head of ourselves.

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above
They call it a wheel but it's laid out like a dartboard. I wonder what happens if she hits the areas with numbers on them?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Frankly, I doubt he's going to hit anything, because Big Mom doesn't come across as the most forgiving person and her daughter, Praline, talks like no-one has ever managed to leave without dying before - so the board is almost definitely fixed in some manner to kill people spinning it, or throwing at it or whatever. I think it's more likely that Luffy and co. will save him from having to do so at the last moment or something, or save him from whatever he gets there, kicking off the enmity between him and Big Mom again and showing that Luffy is stronger than Jinbe by being able to beat someone he submitted to or lost to. Then again, I'm not of the opinion Jinbe is too strong for the crew as is and needs handicapping, since while he was definitely stronger pre-time skip, I don't think it's true post time skip, and that Fishman Island essentially proved that - with Jinbe only helping the Strawhats stop something there he couldn't really stop on his own.

Also, of note, Big Mom having a half mermaid daughter. Sure, the father might be a merman, but it's another hint there's something to do with her powers in how many kids she's had. Not that it was necessary after the last chapter saying she had one hundred and something kids total I suppose.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Kegslayer posted:

I wonder if Jimbe is going to end up losing his head or maybe we'll finally get to meet eye patch guy.

Jinbe is either getting the eye patch or she's taking his top knot. If she takes his top knot Luffy's gonna punch her extra hard.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Indigo Cephalopods posted:

They call it a wheel but it's laid out like a dartboard. I wonder what happens if she hits the areas with numbers on them?

My guess is it's the number of years removed with her Devil Fruit power, like how she removed 40 years from her son

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
It is kind of interesting that all of the Charlotte children that have been shown seem to be pretty good people.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
[quote="tsob" post="461355345" Then again, I'm not of the opinion Jinbe is too strong for the crew as is and needs handicapping, since while he was definitely stronger pre-time skip, I don't think it's true post time skip, and that Fishman Island essentially proved that - with Jinbe only helping the Strawhats stop something there he couldn't really stop on his own.

[/quote]

Jinbe couldn't take back the island for political reasons, I thought. It had to be outsiders or something.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013
Jinbe is not stronger than Luffy, and therefore is not too strong to join the crew without being handicapped. He's fine.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

dordreff posted:

Jinbe is not stronger than Luffy, and therefore is not too strong to join the crew without being handicapped. He's fine.

Yeah Jinbe was stronger pre-time skip but definitely not as strong after Luffy's training.

Krampus Grewcock
Aug 26, 2010

Gruss vom Krampus!

Brandfarlig posted:

What the gently caress.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Jinbe is stronger than Luffy in the water, but then again so is Nami. He's definitely joining, hopefully with a rad eye patch or peg leg. Fishman karate is mostly upper body stuff anyway :v:

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Guy A. Person posted:

Yeah Jinbe was stronger pre-time skip but definitely not as strong after Luffy's training.

Not to argue, but post-skip Jinbe is probably stronger than pre-skip Jinbe as well...

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
Jimbei is going to be the first pirate we've seen with a peg head. He will continue living his life as normal.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Crazyeyes posted:

Not to argue, but post-skip Jinbe is probably stronger than pre-skip Jinbe as well...

Oh yeah definitely as well, just that while everyone got stronger Luffy went to a whole different level. For example I would have said Law was on Luffy's level pre-timeskip, and now I think Luffy is clearly stronger.

Power levels are dumb anyway but Luffy is definitely moving from "plucky hero who has help from more powerful allies" to one of the main powerful dudes himself

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Not sure I'm comfortable with the image of Big Mom and a Merman mating

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

oddium posted:

no way, sanji leaves and loses a leg.

like loving zeff.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
that would also give sanji like the most badass moment in the entire arc which after the absence is probably the point of this one.

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
Sanji gets the eyepatch, and has a brief moment of bonding with Zoro over their mutual affliction.

Then Zoro opens his eye to reveal nothing is wrong with it.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

anime was right posted:

no way, sanji leaves and loses a leg.

like loving zeff.

Oda does it again!:psyboom:

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
also what if big mom eats the limb you lose that would be a weird af connection

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

anime was right posted:

also what if big mom eats the limb you lose that would be a weird af connection

I kind of figured she just bit off whatever thing the wheel/dart board landed on. The reason no one has survived so far is that it's like a great white trying to nibble off your hang nail.

Also the worst possible lose for Sanji is that he doesn't get no puddin'.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Calling it

Man on the shore is a crucified Jimbei

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Is this just a mistranslation of "Don't waste any time cleaning up this mess", or are they talking about something physical left behind from Mom's DF ability?

EDIT: Also, what the hell are those black wraiths he's talking to? They weren't in the previous chapter.

Sub Harrison fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jun 23, 2016

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

On the roulette wheel it has arm, leg, head and... It looks like Big Mam?

Oh god, she eats the loser doesn't she? :ohdear:

Godface
Jun 8, 2007

Awkward Social Situations Established Since 1988
In the last page, in the bottom right panel. Who is the girl with spears on her back standing behind Carrot? That can't be Nami.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Sub Harrison posted:

Is this just a mistranslation of "Don't waste any time cleaning up this mess", or are they talking about something physical left behind from Mom's DF ability?

EDIT: Also, what the hell are those black wraiths he's talking to? They weren't in the previous chapter.

The translation I read had that line as "Do not leave for even a single second, do you hear me?", which still raises a question about the wraiths but makes more sense.

Spidder
Jan 9, 2005

oddium posted:

[oda shoehorns in some backdoor super chakra] oda.... does it again !!

[oda hand waves away needing a gourmet chef to keep 10 people fed at sea] can't be done. impossible. come on

There is something called "genre", look it up.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Godface posted:

In the last page, in the bottom right panel. Who is the girl with spears on her back standing behind Carrot? That can't be Nami.

it's gotta be nami in ant fighting gear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
I don't think it's Nami because on the left side of that spread there's a panel with her in the outfit she was wearing since Cacao Island.