Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

eh... shouldn't be a problem if this is Windows AD.
It's easy to powershell and the only forseeable problems I could see is if you have a ton of service accounts and people that don't know how to change their password in email settings on their phone.

get-aduser -Filter * -SearchBase "OU=whatever,DC=whatever,DC=whatever" | set-aduser -ChangePasswordAtLogon $True... or something like that

Unless you have to actually change their password FOR them. That's gonna suck, no matter how you slice it. Enjoy all those phone calls.

Edit: also, this is a thing
http://admodify.codeplex.com/

Gotta love that all service accounts are in radnom OUs rather than a service account OU and I'm not allowed to change it because MAYBE THERE COULD BE DEPENDENCIES!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Samizdata posted:

But then you have to pay the janitorial staff overtime to get the bloodstains out of the urinals.

If your urinals stain, your janitorial staff is terrible anyway. (Or you need to stop buying cardboard to use in high fluid areas.)

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Thanks Ants posted:

There were a couple of sites that used Silverlight for video (:wtc:) but they have all moved to HTML5 now so it's all good.

Sky Go does this unless they've updated it since Christmas. I had my parents over and had to use IE for the first and only time on my HTPC in order to get it to work.

nexus6 fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jun 22, 2016

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

SEKCobra posted:

Gotta love that all service accounts are in radnom OUs rather than a service account OU and I'm not allowed to change it because MAYBE THERE COULD BE DEPENDENCIES!!!

Are they at least named consistently? If you have a convention, throw in a -filter {name -notlike "*svc*"} and let the people who didn't stick to it complain.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

docbeard posted:

I think the most surprising thing about the story is that the CE actually threw something away.

:vince:

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
I'm finally starting the road to my CCNA after a couple of years of slowly plodding along on my own. My employer is most likely going to be paying for the training which is pretty sweet.

Of course the new book for the 200-125 exam isn't out until the end of July.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Are they at least named consistently? If you have a convention, throw in a -filter {name -notlike "*svc*"} and let the people who didn't stick to it complain.

The naming convention for PCs & servers is Whatitdoes(Server)/Department(PC)# where # is the revision. so if the company has set up an exchange server before, new customer gets mail2...
Users? some are just lastname, some are lastname+first letter of firstname and so on. Depends on the mood our FLS was in that day.
Also, if someone got a new pc, EDV321 was renamed to EDV321a and the new one is EDV321. Some PCs have reached f. They are all disabled and non-existent.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Judge Schnoopy posted:

It's pretty common for msps. The risk can be real for a client to request personal support on the side if it's cheaper than msp@home rates. The non -competes also likely carry on a year after departure to make sure employees won't walk off with the clients.

The year after non-competes are also really good for making sure that your employees have no choice but to continue working for you now matter how you treat or pay them! Basically saying "Yeah, you can't work in your field for a year after you stop working here" means that you pretty much can never leave unless you are leaving IT.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Khisanth Magus posted:

The year after non-competes are also really good for making sure that your employees have no choice but to continue working for you now matter how you treat or pay them! Basically saying "Yeah, you can't work in your field for a year after you stop working here" means that you pretty much can never leave unless you are leaving IT.

Nah not even close to being true. The non-competes usually detail working in the MSP field specifically, or working for clients of the MSP.

You can't leave an MSP and become an in-house tech for one of the clients. You can't leave an MSP for a competing MSP for fear that you'll pull clients away with you.

You can leave an MSP for in-house IT at a non-client though, and usually you can go to a new MSP in a different area / region.

When I left my MSP for a junior admin role my old boss reminded me of the non-compete to make sure I didn't try contacting a client, or bailing on in-house IT for another MSP in the area. He sure wasn't going to try to stop me from going to a non-competitive IT job though, which I doubt is even legal.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

So, I need some advice. I need to replace a LogiTech ConferenceCam C3000e system that just started failing on us. LogiTech appears to be sold out of that model, and I need to find an alternative. Does anyone have any experience with conference cam/microphone combinations that work well and aren't insanely expensive? While I would love to just set them up with a webcam and a polycom phone, I've been told that they want something that has a single remote to control both the camera and the audio.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Khisanth Magus posted:

You can always move to California where non competes are illegal.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

docbeard posted:

I think the most surprising thing about the story is that the CE actually threw something away.

:drat:

Very true though.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Welp, my predecessor strikes again. Students that graduated are starting to turn their Chromebooks back in.

I'm starting to get Chromebooks back that I don't have serial numbers for or signed agreements.

But I have a list of serial numbers that matches the number of Chromebooks we bought.

I have an indeterminate amount of Chromebooks in the wild that I can't account for and we get audited by the Department of Education in three weeks.

gently caress me :shepicide:

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Do you have purchase orders, receipts, or anything else that determines when they were bought? If so, and it's before your start date, then isn't that pretty much all the CYA material you need?

I mean, you're still probably going to get the brunt of the blame anyway, but at least you wouldn't legally be at fault, right?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

So are some of the numbers just wrong, or copied, or what?

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

neogeo0823 posted:

This is actually pretty likely, although not in those numbers. When I buy laptops I always match the received serial numbers against the ones stated on the bill, and there are always a handful off for every 1000 received.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

neogeo0823 posted:

Like, today I had a student bring one in and she told me her name. I look at my folder of signed agreements and hers isn't in there. I look at my list of serial numbers and her name isn't listed and the serial number of the device isn't listed.

I've had a handful of others turned in with mysterious serial numbers as well and Captain Dipshit either didn't make or didn't keep the list of serials from the prior year so I have nothing to go on.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

larchesdanrew posted:

Like, today I had a student bring one in and she told me her name. I look at my folder of signed agreements and hers isn't in there. I look at my list of serial numbers and her name isn't listed and the serial number of the device isn't listed.

I've had a handful of others turned in with mysterious serial numbers as well and Captain Dipshit either didn't make or didn't keep the list of serials from the prior year so I have nothing to go on.

Maybe you can go back to the vendor and get the invoice resent?

*edit* that won't solve your signed agreements issue, but it might give you a better idea of WHAT is out there.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Just got off the phone with a client who didn't understand that you had to put new tapes into a tape library once the old ones were filled by the backup job. She thought that since the old one were set to recycle the job would just pick them up.

From outside the library apparently.

:aaaaa:

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro
I work at a help desk for a "security company".

An e-mail came in, to every employee, simultaneously:

quote:

MyJobCo Security Alert

Nominal,

Your domain password is about to expire. Please use the link below to set a new password within 24 hours to maintain access to your account.

Update Password Now (as a link that is relatively clearly not internal if looked at for more than a half second)

Thank you,

Your MyJobCo IT Staff
This email was intended for Nominal.

A phone call from my supervisor comes in:

quote:

:v: : Hey nominal, did you get that e-mail about the password reset?

:eng101: : Yep, everybody did. We'll probably get a bunch of calls for it, even though it's just corporate security doing their usual check to see who's gulli--

:v: : That link doesn't reset my password! When I click on it, it says something about a phishing test? What's that?

:eng101: : :suicide101:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Had an interesting last couple weeks with one of our clients and a troublesome (now former) employee - married woman starts sending sexually suggestive messages to a male co-worker in their office out of the blue. She gets caught, tries to blame co-worker for starting it, threatens to file harassment, so her manager asks us to install some software to track what she's doing. About a day later we get proof that she's been initiating all the messages and saying lots of weird sexual things, on top of searching dating sites and browsing Facebook for more than half her day.

Initially her boss let the harassment part slide (!!) and decided to let her work from home for a while to see if she'd shape up. Apparently she told her husband her bullshit story about harassment from the co-worker she'd been messaging, and wouldn't you know it...he decides to call the boss and mentions owning firearms and makes threats toward the co-worker his wife threw under the bus. Thankfully that was the last straw and we got word today that married girl was fired, co-worker filed for a restraining order against her and her husband, boss called the police and they showed up at married idiot's house shortly after the firing. :lol: No idea what happened after that but I hope those morons got a good scare for being that goddamn stupid.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Wow, gently caress. Glad I don't have to deal with that type of drama.

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!

In a similar vein, I am consistently amazed how many people will just blurt out their password or PIN when you ask them the binary yes/no question "do you remember your X?" when trying to figure out what self service option to direct them to.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

Khisanth Magus posted:

Non-competes are almost impossible to enforce in right to work states (and most non). Unless you take a payout (then you are hosed), the company cannot take away your right to earn a living.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Is it a physical machine or a virtual?
Yes.

You'll need your password to log in, do you know it?
Packers#1

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Yes.

Packers#1

"There's your problem: your password is expired. Packers haven't been to a bowl game in years."

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Kinetica posted:

Non-competes are almost impossible to enforce in right to work states (and most non). Unless you take a payout (then you are hosed), the company cannot take away your right to earn a living.

Do you REALLY mean "right to work," or do you mean "at will"?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Yes.

Packers#1

I know dozens of users who have packers in their password somewhere.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Do you REALLY mean "right to work," or do you mean "at will"?

Errr, yes

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Unless you have to actually change their password FOR them. That's gonna suck, no matter how you slice it. Enjoy all those phone calls.

Let's assume lots have to change their passwords and don't know how :cripes:

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jun 23, 2016

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

18 Character Limit posted:

"There's your problem: your password is expired. Packers haven't been to a bowl game in years."

I laughed

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

larchesdanrew posted:

Probably a pain, but can you ask as they're being handed back if the student was the original person who got it? Maybe the laptops are getting shuffled around and you can try backtracking to whomever had it before the person that returned it.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Khisanth Magus posted:

IANAL, but in my understanding non-compete clauses are pretty much universally unenforcable unless your previous employer can legally prove that you're poaching clients or providing your new employer with confidential information.

Although I guess if they actually want to fight it all comes down to who has the better lawyer.

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
A ticket didn't come in ...

A customer getting some parts at the front desk asked if we had an IT guy.
Front guy: "Sure, what's it about?"
Customer: "Well, you see, I bought this laptop at Media Market a while ago, and now I can't read my mail and they're asking for 1 euro per minute to look at it. So, I thought to ask about it here."
Front guy: :stare: "He's not in today."

Seriously, what the gently caress? Good thing my collegue didn't dump it on me.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Collateral Damage posted:

IANAL, but in my understanding non-compete clauses are pretty much universally unenforcable unless your previous employer can legally prove that you're poaching clients or providing your new employer with confidential information.

Although I guess if they actually want to fight it all comes down to who has the better lawyer.

Or if you're a key employee with generous severance terms.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Or if you're a key employee with generous severance terms.
If you're getting paid to not work that's a different thing though.

My favorite stupid clause was a friend of mine who started a developer job where the contract said any software developed during her employment or earlier, during working hours and outside would become property of the company.

It was a good job otherwise, so she took a pen and crossed out those paragraphs in front of the hiring manager before signing.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

lodewijk posted:

A ticket didn't come in ...

A customer getting some parts at the front desk asked if we had an IT guy.
Front guy: "Sure, what's it about?"
Customer: "Well, you see, I bought this laptop at Media Market a while ago, and now I can't read my mail and they're asking for 1 euro per minute to look at it. So, I thought to ask about it here."
Front guy: :stare: "He's not in today."

Seriously, what the gently caress? Good thing my collegue didn't dump it on me.

This is the best outcome for you, considering most non-IT people will be like "yeah <IT guy> can look at that" whether it's an IT issue or not. That's one of my biggest peeves, people dumping work on someone else because they don't know an answer or don't want to learn something new. It's the reason I hate working on Macs at my job, I know some basic stuff but every loving time someone has a Mac problem, it gets shuffled to my queue with a "you know Macs, can you fix this? kthxbye" and I end up wracking my brain trying to troubleshoot some hosed up issue on a 7 year old Mac that Apple won't help with and telling the client "sorry, take it to an Apple certified repair/reseller and pray they can help".

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

How much does a buffalo cost?

I need to buy one to celebrate getting out of retail computer repair, and getting hired on in my wife's school district as an IT guy.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Buy Buffalo Trace instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Myrmidongs posted:

How much does a buffalo cost?

I need to buy one to celebrate getting out of retail computer repair, and getting hired on in my wife's school district as an IT guy.

Do you prefer it whole or already butchered? Can you arrange roasting it yourself?

• Locked thread