Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Not sure if this goes here, but Jesus Christ:

Judge rules Texas prison must provide inmates with safe-drinking water

quote:

Published June 23, 2016 Associated Press
HOUSTON – A group of prisoners alleging they have to drink arsenic-laden water to stay cool inside their hot Texas lockup won a legal victory Tuesday in an ongoing lawsuit after a federal judge ordered the Texas prison system to provide safe drinking water that doesn't violate "contemporary standards of decency."

U.S. District Judge Keith Ellison has given the prison system 15 days to replace the water supply at the Wallace Pack Unit in Navasota, located about 70 miles northwest of Houston.

The judge's order came in a lawsuit the inmates filed in 2014 in Houston federal court alleging they're being exposed to dangerous heat at the unit. The lawsuit alleges Texas houses inmates in conditions that are inhumane enough to violate the U.S. Constitution's protections against cruel and unusual punishment. The Pack Unit is a low security geriatric facility that houses about 1,400 inmates, many of whom are sick or disabled.

In his 15-page ruling, Ellison wrote the Texas Department of Criminal Justice has been "deliberately indifferent" to the ongoing risk inmates at the unit face from prolonged exposure to "extreme heat" and from having to drink arsenic-laden water in order to reduce the risk from the heat. The drinking water at the Pack Unit has contained between 2 and 4½ times the amount of arsenic permitted by the Environmental Protection Agency, the judge said.

The prisoners have "demonstrated that (the prison system's) current and ongoing conduct violates contemporary standards of decency," Ellison wrote.

At least 20 prisoners have died indoors in non-air-conditioned Texas prisons from overheating since 1998, including 10 who died in 2011, Ellison said.

Jason Clark, a spokesman for the Texas Department of Criminal Justice, said the agency plans to appeal the ruling.

"The water at the Pack Unit is safe to drink according to the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality and the Texas Department of State Health Services," he said in a statement. "Although this is not an emergency and the water is safe to drink, we have designed a new filtration system which has been approved by TCEQ, and the final installation is expected in early 2017."

In his ruling, Ellison highlighted that the current water filtration system was installed in 2007 in response to the EPA a year earlier lowering maximum levels of arsenic in drinking water and that the prison system has had trouble with the filtration system for years.

Jeff Edwards, one of the attorneys for the inmates, said the prison system has known about the unsafe arsenic levels in the Pack Unit's water since 2006 but has not fixed the problem "and that's not acceptable."

"When you take away people's liberty, you have to provide certain protections," he said. "Some people may have the mentality that if you've committed a crime, you lose all your rights. That is simply not the case. You do not give up your constitutional right not to be treated cruelly."

In court filings, some of the inmates have discussed living conditions at the Pack Unit.

"I sometimes feel like I'm about to die of thirst even when I am constantly drinking water," said Jackie Brannum, who has been at the unit since 2001 and is serving a sentence for aggravated sexual assault. "All I can think of is cooling down somehow."

Apparently not giving prisoners ARSENIC-LADEN WATER had to be ruled on. :gonk: And as always, don't read the comments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

FAUXTON posted:

Man does John Lewis ever not look blessed with glorious and righteous purpose

I've met the man twice at loving San Diego comic con and have to say no.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Slate Action posted:

Looks like SCOTUS left the cases everyone wants to the absolute last day, as always.

What is their deal with this, do they like loving with people.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

zoux posted:

The spirit of Scalia lives on.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

zoux posted:

Usually the most controversial cases take the longest to decide and the Justices want as much time as possible to write their opinions so they can make their mark / points.

pacmania90
May 31, 2010

WampaLord posted:

I highly doubt this because:

A) It won't get passed anyway
B) If it somehow miraculously got passed, it would probably be struck down as unconstitutional
C) I don't buy in to your slippery slope bullshit

Jurisprudence is a real thing and crying about slippery slopes won't change that.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Usually the most controversial cases take the longest to decide and the Justices want as much time as possible to write their opinions so they can make their mark / points.

Aren't these things decided way before oral arguments even start?

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Welp!

https://twitter.com/cristianafarias/status/745983346849746944

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ha suck it Scalia.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
"Majority opinion is 20 pages; Alito's dissent is 50 pages"

:qq:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

zoux posted:

Aren't these things decided way before oral arguments even start?

In theory. But the actual opinions usually are being written and rewritten until a couple days before they are released.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Slate Action posted:

I knew Scalia death would pay dividends I just didn't realize how immediate it would be.

https://twitter.com/SCOTUSblog/status/745984322474225664

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

zoux posted:

I knew Scalia death would pay dividends I just didn't realize how immediate it would be.

Literally the best thing to happen to this country this decade.

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

zoux posted:

Ha suck it Scalia.

Looks like it was 4-3, with Kagan sitting out due to prior participation. Scalia must be rolling over...

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/SCOTUSblog/status/745984322474225664

Wasn't the lower court also affirming the school policy, so it didn't matter if Scalia was around or not

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

mastershakeman posted:

Wasn't the lower court also affirming the school policy, so it didn't matter if Scalia was around or not

He would've used his evil svengali mind control to swing Kennedy.

Slate Action posted:

Literally the best thing to happen to this country this decade.

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/745985789641822209

Alito is reading from his dissent from the bench, dunno how common that is but he's real mad.

zoux fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jun 23, 2016

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

gradenko_2000 posted:

Am I getting that right? I'm trying to not downplay or cast as unreasonable the concerns of the other posters here, I'm just trying to understand.

I could quibble hear-or-there, but yeah, basically. There's no reason Democrats can't add reasonable due process protections to their legislative proposal. The lack of those protections isn't some clever strategy to call out Republicans, it's because the FBI doesn't want them in place and the administration and many legislators agree. That's lovely public policy and it's fine to say so, even if you support their other proposals and their political tactics here.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
https://twitter.com/ClaraJeffery/status/745985792149962752

Rest In Piss

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Joementum posted:

I could quibble hear-or-there, but yeah, basically. There's no reason Democrats can't add reasonable due process protections to their legislative proposal. The lack of those protections isn't some clever strategy to call out Republicans, it's because the FBI doesn't want them in place and the administration and many legislators agree. That's lovely public policy and it's fine to say so, even if you support their other proposals and their political tactics here.

Not empty quoting this, but I'm empty quoting this because its the best way to think about it imo.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

mastershakeman posted:

Yes but Kagan had to recuse herself so everyone expected 4-3 for Fisher.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Slate Action posted:

What do you even talk about for 50 pages? Like I know he's basically just going "waah waah", but how does he even try to pretty that poo poo up?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Joementum posted:

Hey
https://twitter.com/AJentleson/status/745983941685936129

Any idea?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Civilized Fishbot posted:

You're right, it's really weird that politicians are presenting their goals to their constituents and the news as more sincere and less political than they really are. That never happens all the time.

SA is so woke. Do you also believe Trump has a master political plan?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Spiritus Nox posted:

What do you even talk about for 50 pages? Like I know he's basically just going "waah waah", but how does he even try to pretty that poo poo up?

Most of it is supporting case law citations.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

This but Scalia.

Scalia is currently building his Fear Engine right now with all the liberal decisions getting passed.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

zoux posted:

Hey

Any idea?

Click on the timestamp. He explains it in follow-up tweets.

Though it's not entirely true since the Senate can do anything if there's unanimous consent. He's assuming (correctly) that someone *cough*Ted Cruz*cough* would object.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Joementum posted:

Click on the timestamp. He explains it in follow-up tweets.

Though it's not entirely true since the Senate can do anything if there's unanimous consent. He's assuming (correctly) that someone *cough*Ted Cruz*cough* would object.

Ah, thanks.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Seriously not at all guilty about being happy he's dead due the lack of his poisonous presence leading to a better result. I wonder if that guy is going to come in here and tut tut everyone again because our bad tone is what is causing conservatives to be massive shitheals despite Scalia himself leading the charge for thirty years.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/ReutersLegal/status/745989117276790784

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

How is affirmative action not racism?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
interesting

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

So now Republicans feel entirely justified in their blocking of Garland.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Arrgytehpirate posted:

that depends, are you white?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Well I guess DACA is dead too then. Wasn't it's extension also included?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

There needs to be a right to a hearing at some point. That's true for the no fly list regardless of the gun issue, though. Gun issue just brings it into sharper relief as it's a Constitutional right.

Sure, but I don't think there has to be a hearing beforehand

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Oh yeah, I vaguely remember this discussion from 9th grade or something.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Because racism entails institutional effects, not just prejudice.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Well I guess DACA is dead too then. Wasn't it's extension also included?

Not dead, stalled. It virtually assures it (and the SCOTUS vacancy) become an election issue.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Sure, but I don't think there has to be a hearing beforehand

Which is in the Finestein bill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

It's not racism though? You don't meet with college applicants so all you know is what matters. GPA, extracurricular, essay if thy have one. I don't see how that benefits white people in an anonymous setting.

• Locked thread