Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

mastershakeman posted:

So is warrantless breathalyzer but here we are

In many states if you refused the "optional" breath test they just auto suspended your license, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Shageletic posted:

But, yeah, nothing I can find too important and recent.

The most recent circuit court opinions I see are pretty explicit that the Ninth Amendment doesn't give any rights.

quote:

Plaintiffs finally seek succor in the Ninth Amendment. But, we have held, "[t]he Ninth Amendment is not an independent source of individual rights." Jenkins v. C.I.R., 483 F.3d 90, 92 (2d Cir. 2007). Because plaintiffs fail plausibly to allege a violation of any other constitutional right, their effort to recast their unsuccessful claims as a violation of the Ninth Amendment also fails.
Phillips v. City of New York, 775 F. 3d 538 (2d Cir. 2015)

quote:

The bar owners also assert that the Ninth Amendment shields them from the smoking ordinance. This argument is a non-starter, as the Ninth Amendment "is a rule of interpretation rather than a source of rights." Froehlich v. Wisconsin Dep't of Corr., 196 F.3d 800, 801 (7th Cir. 1999); see also Quilici v. Village of Morton Grove, 695 F.2d 261, 271 (7th Cir. 1982) (noting that "the Supreme Court has never embraced this theory.").
Goodpaster v. City of Indianapolis, 736 F. 3d 1060 (7th Cir. 2013)

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Rygar201 posted:

In many states if you refused the "optional" breath test they just auto suspended your license, right?

Yep. In every state there is a presumption to agreeing to a breath test in order to have your license. Driving is not a protected right.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

GlyphGryph posted:

The same way you distinguish between specific speech rights protected by the first amendment and those not - through the courts. Obviously. You are acting as if you arent just describing something the courts already do.
No, I'm asking how the courts do this. If you asked me how the courts find the limits of the right to free speech, I would have an answer better than "a wizard does it".

quote:

So, since you are reaponding for vox, are you arguing that the 9th is completely meaningless or what? That it was just included on a lark and was not intended to hold any actual weight?
I'm fine with evilweasel's answer. The powers of Congress are enumerated and limited to that enumeration, the Bill of Rights is not a complete list of rights people possess (but good luck finding a Constitutional basis for any specific unenumerated right).

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

mastershakeman posted:

It's really not at all horrifying

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Immigration is 4-4. Dollar General is also 4-4.

https://twitter.com/SCOTUSblog/status/745989401289826305

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Never mind, I'll ask my phone.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

SCOTUS Thread 2016: In a 4-4 decision ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Confirmation that Monday the 27th will be the last day for opinions.

FlamingLiberal posted:

So that just leaves the abortion case?

And two others.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

FlamingLiberal posted:

Voisine v. US, Whole Woman's Health v. Hellerstedt, and McDonnell v. US to be decided on Monday.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

Spoiler alert:

hobbesmaster posted:

SCOTUS Thread 2016: In a 4-4 decision ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yeah pretty much. Which is a disaster because a lot of clinics would close before the court takes up the issue again.

Plus states are just copy/pasting the Texas clinic regulations outright, so expect more to move forward on that

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Hell, most of them have already shut down.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Is there any possibility of tea leaves-reading with the fact that the Monday decisions aren't being released today I.e. they would have announced a 4-4 shruggie with the others if that was the result?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FAUXTON posted:

Is there any possibility of tea leaves-reading with the fact that the Monday decisions aren't being released today I.e. they would have announced a 4-4 shruggie with the others if that was the result?

If anything it makes it more likely, they really don't want to leave these important cases up in the air so both sides will be desperate to get a vote.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I've read the lawthread posts on attacking a breathalyzer- at least a couple of lawgoons oughta be toasting this decision. No client of theirs ever gets convicted on breathalyzer results because they've got contesting them down to a science.

twodot posted:

No, I'm asking how the courts do this. If you asked me how the courts find the limits of the right to free speech, I would have an answer better than "a wizard does it".

I'm fine with evilweasel's answer. The powers of Congress are enumerated and limited to that enumeration, the Bill of Rights is not a complete list of rights people possess (but good luck finding a Constitutional basis for any specific unenumerated right).

I'm pretty much in agreement with evilweasel on this- it's effectively a limit on a controverted interpretation. It's just that the interpretation it blocks is weird enough that it doesn't normally come up. Remember, I was responding to disagree with the argument:

quote:

It seems to me to basically give the judicial system carte blanche to to protect "rights" from government action even if they aren't explicitly covered by the constitution.

The opposite scenario, where the 9th does not hold and where the controverted interpretation is applied, could conversely be used to effectively remove all rights in the protection of enumerated ones. Basically, balancing tests wouldn't exist. Again, a legal system built on strong liberal concepts is weird.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jun 23, 2016

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

So DACA's done then?

EDIT: Slate predicted this would be the most disastrous way to decide this case: http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...disastrous.html

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Shageletic posted:

So DACA's done then?

EDIT: Slate predicted this would be the most disastrous way to decide this case: http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...disastrous.html

I agree with the editorial, but bear in mind that it's part of a weird (and good) inter-columnist correspondence thing that Slate does on some political issues. It's one author's opinion.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Shageletic posted:

So DACA's done then?

My understanding is that this was a fight over a pre-trial injunction and that it now goes back to the district court judge.

But effectively it is dead.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Yep. In every state there is a presumption to agreeing to a breath test in order to have your license. Driving is not a protected right.

This is my take on it as well. Just as asking for a driver's license and registration in a traffic stop is reasonable, but asking for ID to a random pedestrian is not.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Can we all just take a moment to say get hosed Abigail Fischer?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Mr. Nice! posted:

Only if you also swear you'll add "also immigrants, sort of, I guess"

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

get hosed Abigail Fischer

Turdis McWordis
Mar 29, 2016

by LadyAmbien

Mr. Nice! posted:

Can we all just take a moment to say get hosed Asian applicants?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Really?

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

alnilam posted:

get hosed Abigail Fischer

Turdis McWordis
Mar 29, 2016

by LadyAmbien

That's who is largely impacted by AA, not the Abigail Fishers of the world, so yes.

Turdis McWordis fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jun 23, 2016

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Shifty Pony posted:

My understanding is that this was a fight over a pre-trial injunction and that it now goes back to the district court judge.

But effectively it is dead.
Once Clinton gets that 9th justice on the bench it's a different story. Assuming she opts to continue that.

Sarcastr0
May 29, 2013

WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE BILLIONAIRES ?!?!?

Turdis McWordis posted:

That's who is largely impacted by AA, not the Abigail Fishers of the world, so yes.

"won't somebody please think of the Asians" is an argument only someone willfully unfamiliar with any of the possible rationales behind AA could make.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Mr. Nice! posted:

Abigail Fischer continues unremarkable streak of mediocrity .

Also, I read somewhere that proDACA folks might force the issue in another circuit to argue it should be enforced. Is that likely?

Sarcastr0
May 29, 2013

WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE BILLIONAIRES ?!?!?

FilthyImp posted:

Abigail Fischer continues unremarkable streak of mediocrity .

Also, I read somewhere that proDACA folks might force the issue in another circuit to argue it should be enforced. Is that likely?

I heard someone arguing the Obama administration should just reissue it slightly modified, claiming this 'cured' any issue. But the time it's ready for review again, it's a whole new Court.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

mastershakeman posted:

Especially since their accuracy is questionable and their use should be outright prohibited because of that, but they're still good for nailing people who can't afford a good defense so the system works*!

* against poor people

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
Twitter has been having some amazing fun with the Fisher case.

http://www.theroot.com/blog/the-grapevine/beckywiththebadgrades-and-other-hilarious-reactions-about-abigail-fisher/
https://twitter.com/hashtag/BeckyWIthTheBadGrades?src=hash

https://twitter.com/sohosultry/status/746035962510184448

Turdis McWordis
Mar 29, 2016

by LadyAmbien
I'm not sure AA recipients want to be making fun of people with better grades and telling them to study harder. Teacher, educate thyself.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Fisher deserves less hate or mockery than the people behind her who set up the suit, and who are now rapidly moving to their next prepared test case plaintiff.

per the Post:

quote:

Edward Blum, president of the Project on Fair Representation, which supports Fisher, said: “Racial classifications and preferences are one of the most polarizing policies in America today. As long as universities like the Univ. of Texas continue to treat applicants differently by race and ethnicity, the social fabric that holds us together as a nation will be weakened. Today’s decision is a sad step backward for the original, colorblind principles to our civil rights laws.”

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jun 23, 2016

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Turdis McWordis posted:

I'm not sure AA recipients want to be making fun of people with better grades and telling them to study harder. Teacher, educate thyself.

uh what

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Turdis McWordis posted:

There were plenty of black people rejected that had higher grades than Abby. She wasn't passed over for people with lower grades/test scores for the most part.

EDIT: For those that haven't followed the case, this isn't Fischer's first time at the SCOTUS for this issue. The state of Texas has auto acceptance into any of it's public colleges for incoming freshmen if you're in the top 10% of your high school class or score high enough on the SAT or ACT. Fischer was not top 10% and did not score high enough for auto acceptance. So she got tossed into the general pool of applicants. From there applicants are looked at from the whole person perspective. Race is one of the factors that gets weighed, but it isn't at all a sole determining factor. There were students of all races that had better grades than Abby that were rejected, just as there were people of all races with poorer grades but better extra curriculars, community service, etc that were admitted. She wasn't rejected because she was white in place of someone non-white with worse grades. She was rejected because she was a poor applicant.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jun 23, 2016

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Turdis McWordis posted:

You seriously have no idea how affirmative action works, do you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I actually think UT's non auto admit pool is incredibly selective but I can't remember the percentage. All of the out of state and international applicants get thrown into that same pool.

Turdis McWordis posted:

How do you know they got worse grades? Do all minorities automatically have worse grade than whites and Asians? Sounds racist!