Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

another good shoot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ComradeCosmobot posted:

I believe race is only used to fill out the class after Top Ten because Top Ten isn't good enough to diversify the class.

Top Ten still holds though regardless (Actually it's something like Top 7.5% or something)

Yeah, they compromised by scaling it to a percentage of incoming class.

Thread FYI:
Texas has a law called the top ten rule that allows any student graduating in the top ten percent of their high school class gets automatic admission to any state school. In practice, almost everyone wanted to go to UT Austin, and administrators started warning that before too long, the only criteria for UT admission would be top ten percent. I think in the last year before the compromise, something insane like 80 percent of the incoming freshman class was admitted under top ten.

Ohio State BOOniversity
Mar 3, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

More in general, when I was a kid I was taught that bad things happened to minorities in history, and that's why things like AA existed, and under that logic it does seem questionable. It was a bit later that I realized that big organized bad things were happening to minorities all the time and were not going to stop anytime soon, so we need big organized good things to balance them out. Now, there can be a million arguments about the best ways to implement that but the concept is sound.

I mean let's not forget the bad things in the past kinda matter and continue to impact us. A huge degree of one's advantages in life come from family wealth from two, three, four or more generations ago. An example: African-Americans benefited from the GI Bill after WWII, but higher education (particularly in the south) was still segregated. Blacks in the south were often prohibited from attending the largest and best funded universities and had to make do at junior colleges. This had a big impact in exacerbating economic divide among black and white men in the South. One can easily imagine the effects two generations down the line.

AA can be a corrective to that.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

I completely missed this story. Those officers clearly murdered that guy, despite the evidence not being sufficient for a guilty verdict. I can't imagine what it feels like to be black in Baltimore.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

ComradeCosmobot posted:

I believe race is only used to fill out the class after Top Ten because Top Ten isn't good enough to diversify the class.

Top Ten still holds though regardless (Actually it's something like Top 7.5% or something)

It's maybe worth mentioning that Abigail Fisher wouldn't have gotten in if the affirmative action program didn't exist (but the case wasn't really about her, either). The admissions criteria for students below the top 10% just consider "special circumstances" as a minor factor, and most of the students with worse grades than her who got in were white.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

mlmp08 posted:

SA is so woke. Do you also believe Trump has a master political plan?

What does it mean to have a "master political plan" and how is it different from having a regular plan about how to win an election

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Civilized Fishbot posted:

What does it mean to have a "master political plan" and how is it different from having a regular plan about how to win an election

You think he has a plan to win an election?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

James Garfield posted:

It's maybe worth mentioning that Abigail Fisher wouldn't have gotten in if the affirmative action program didn't exist (but the case wasn't really about her, either). The admissions criteria for students below the top 10% just consider "special circumstances" as a minor factor, and most of the students with worse grades than her who got in were white.

That she was the best case they could find for this cause kind of shows how weak it is.

Also she ended up going to LSU anyway so obviously she wasn't that disadvantaged.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

gay rites posted:

I mean let's not forget the bad things in the past kinda matter and continue to impact us. A huge degree of one's advantages in life come from family wealth from two, three, four or more generations ago. An example: African-Americans benefited from the GI Bill after WWII, but higher education (particularly in the south) was still segregated. Blacks in the south were often prohibited from attending the largest and best funded universities and had to make do at junior colleges. This had a big impact in exacerbating economic divide among black and white men in the South. One can easily imagine the effects two generations down the line.

AA can be a corrective to that.
I put those kinds of things under the category of bad things happening now. What I mean is, when I was a kid (and I know lots of people including adults think this now), I saw black people who were not poor or mistreated in any way I could see and concluded that racism is just in history books. I meant to speak against that idea.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jun 23, 2016

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The DACA case is bullshit. Even if you're against it, this is a horrible result. 4-4.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

If you don't think that Trump has developed many grandiose plans for how to become President and throw Hillary in jail and annex Scotland and install a more friendly Pope, all hastily scrawled onto a cocktail napkin while Newt Gingrich urges him on and Manafort rolls his eyes, you haven't been paying attention

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

zoux posted:

Thread FYI:
Texas has a law called the top ten rule that allows any student graduating in the top ten percent of their high school class gets automatic admission to any state school. In practice, almost everyone wanted to go to UT Austin, and administrators started warning that before too long, the only criteria for UT admission would be top ten percent. I think in the last year before the compromise, something insane like 80 percent of the incoming freshman class was admitted under top ten.

new plan: include private schools

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

even more satisfying was he basically wrote the playbook for it to happen in an earlier dissent

yeah, that's definitely the cherry on top of a delicious judicial beatdown sundae

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shageletic posted:

The DACA case is bullshit. Even if you're against it, this is a horrible result. 4-4.

After the Republicans get shellacked by the Latino vote this cycle, they're going to be a lot more amenable to reasonable immigration legislation in the next term. So yeah it sucks but it's not necessarily dead forever.

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/745999934663630850

What the decision does do though is keep immigration front and center in the presidential campaign and enables Trump and them to continue to say terrible things about Latinos and further doom their party.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

This is hosed and not surprising at all which makes it more hosed.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

He has a secret plan to fight inflation

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

zoux posted:

After the Republicans get shellacked by the Latino vote this cycle, they're going to be a lot more amenable to reasonable immigration legislation in the next term.

-Everybody in 2012

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

zoux posted:

Thread FYI:

maybe i misunderstand but guranteed admission seems awfully progressive for texas

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

mandatory lesbian posted:

maybe i misunderstand but guranteed admission seems awfully progressive for texas

It's also intended to help rural students compete against urban students.

Nobody tell Dick Armey about Bob Hope and Steve Jobs

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jun 23, 2016

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Sir Tonk posted:

http://www.stripes.com/news/gun-control-group-enlists-petraeus-and-other-vets-to-help-curb-violence-1.414754

this could make the gun control discussion a bit more interesting, not many groups can truly challenge the NRA. Having Petraeus and Kelly on there is pretty legit, even given Petraeus' issues.

These people should have consulted Dead Reckoning, TapTheForwardAssist, and LeJackal before making such a boneheaded maneuver like suggesting anything except for more guns can curb gun violence!

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://www.balloon-juice.com/2016/06/23/quibbling-over-the-script/

https://twitter.com/normanisreyes/status/745647311330643968

quote:

In addition to enforcing Jim Crow, I bet that Nashville restaurant pictured at left also paid its female employees less than the men. It was the 1960s, after all, and women still aren’t being paid equitably 50 years later.

Was John Lewis tacitly endorsing the oppression of women by signifying a desire to eat at that lunch counter? gently caress no. I bet he didn’t even have a hankering for that joint’s particular pot of stale coffee and congealed, lumpy grits. Lewis was doing something much more important than trying to order food: He was dramatizing the unfairness of segregated public accommodations.

John Lewis, genuine American hero, has famously been getting in “good trouble” for longer than most of us have been alive. And now he and the Democrats in Congress are engaging in “good demagoguery.” They are exposing their Republican colleagues as the NRA lickspittles they are.

Mass shooting after bloody, appalling, inexcusable mass shooting have rendered so many of us numb to yet another round of “thoughts and prayers” and inaction on basic gun safety laws that the vast majority of Americans support. If Newtown couldn’t change things, there’s no hope, many of us thought — and still think.

Well, the Democrats are doing something courageous and amazing right now. They are hanging the Republicans’ intransigence on guns around their necks in a simple, visceral way that can be understood even by the people of the land, the common clay of the new West — you know, morons!

The script for this bit of political theater includes the chant, “No fly, no buy.” Should this be understood as a Democratic embrace of the unfair “no fly list”? Nope. No legislation will come out of this protest. The sit-in is political theater that is meant to “dramatize” — as John Lewis carefully put it — Republicans’ refusal to do their jobs.

You’re watching a drama, and a drat good one, with a cast of Democrats who are displaying spine and fire on an important issue as we’ve been demanding for loving years. You can choose this moment to nitpick the script. But if so, you’ve lost the drat plot, IMO.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

blue squares posted:

I'm watching Touch of Evil and every time I go back to the movie I miss something awesome

Chartlon Heston is the Democrats, the biker gang are the Republicans, the bar is the House, and the rolling camera is America's attention span.

http://video.anyclip.com/movies/touch-of-evil/bar-brawl/#!info/

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Thanks guys. I didn't mean to start another shitstorm but at least we're finally off gun control!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

On the other hand, how can I demonstrate how woke I am?

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Sir Tonk posted:

http://www.stripes.com/news/gun-control-group-enlists-petraeus-and-other-vets-to-help-curb-violence-1.414754

this could make the gun control discussion a bit more interesting, not many groups can truly challenge the NRA. Having Petraeus and Kelly on there is pretty legit, even given Petraeus' issues.

My Facebook is EXPLODING with people calling them traitors.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Thanks guys. I didn't mean to start another shitstorm but at least we're finally off gun control!

Nah, gently caress that I'm not done with gun control yet.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Sir Tonk posted:

new plan: include private schools

They already are (so long as they're accredited)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ComradeCosmobot posted:

They already are.

He means private colleges.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

RuanGacho posted:

too bad the american people are. the sit in will do jack poo poo.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Last time I checked AA benefited white women more than any other group, so how is this racist against white folks again?

I seem to find that most people against AA dont understand how it works (or is supposed to work).

Have two equal applicants. Yes. One of them a minority? Pick the minority.

White male will still get to go to another school. If he wants to cry about not getting into his first choice because there's an institutional imbalance that needs to be corrected and this is one of the few ways we are even allowed to try to fix it, gently caress him.

Koalas March fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jun 23, 2016

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

gradenko_2000 posted:

He has a secret plan to fight inflation

Like Trump could keep a secret about anything.
The fact that he hasn't talked about it on Twitter shows that Trump doesn't support his own secret plan to fight inflation.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Koalas March posted:

Last time I checked AA benefited white women more than any other group, so how is this racist against white folks again?

I seem to find that most people against AA do t understand how it works (or is supposed to work).

Have two equal applicants. Yes. One of them a minority? Pick the minority.

White male will still get to go to another school. If he wants to cry about not getting into his first choice because there's an institutional imbalance that needs to be corrected and this is one of the few ways we are even allowed to try to fix it, gently caress him.

The plaintiff in Fisher is a white woman.

foot
Mar 28, 2002

why foot why

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Thanks. So if they have to take x% of POC wouldn't those end up generally being the ones in majority white districts anyways? Those schools would have better programs and teachers and the like meaning probably mediocre performances would be better than good ones in poor districts.

Doesn't this mean it's a class/poor person disadvantage rather than a race thing?

Poverty in minority communities is largely the result of race-based policy, so why is it strange that the solution would also be race-based?

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Arrgytehpirate posted:

How is affirmative action not racism?

Perhaps it would help for you to define what you think "affirmative action" means here, and how it's practiced in a modern context.

It seems like a lot of the time it gets boiled down to some "my uncle totally should have gotten that job, but he said they had to give it to an affirmative action hire instead" stereotype that's never existed in any significant way, and that tends to poison discussion on policies that do actually exist.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

RuanGacho posted:

We need better gun post control.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Abigail Fisher is a poo poo

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Abigail Fisher is a poo poo

Well she was a mad 18 year old who had to go to her second choice and suddenly a giant, well funded political machine appears to tell her that it's not her fault.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

zoux posted:

Well she was a mad 18 year old who had to go to her second choice and suddenly a giant, well funded political machine appears to tell her that it's not her fault.

that personal responsibility tho

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Sir Tonk posted:

The NRA has been extremely dim when it comes to the military, especially its initiatives to limit guns on bases and the mentally ill. I think I already posted a study in here about restricting arms to service members significantly lowered the rate of suicide (a military base being one of the few places to accurately study its effects).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

zoux posted:

It's also intended to help rural students compete against urban students.

Nobody tell Dick Armey about Bob Hope and Steve Jobs

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/746000988402757633

• Locked thread