Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

dis astranagant posted:

In an electric oven it runs the heating element at a dead short for several hours, reaching a couple thousand degrees inside and turning most any food residue into ash.

That's pretty badass. Time to go find a new oven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Horse Clocks posted:

That's pretty badass. Time to go find a new oven.

That other guy's right, it's more like 900F. The idea's the same, tho. They also tend to be more energy efficient since it takes more insulation to make that work.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I've always heard it was ~900F as well. Pretty sure 2000F would gently caress up the door glass.

The heat just burns anything that has spilled or fallen in the oven. Once the heat drops and the door unlocks you find that all the poo poo has turned to carbon and peels off like happens on the lid of a grill. What doesn't fall off will wipe off with a damp paper towel. My parents gas stove back in the 90's was the first I used that had it and every gas oven I have ever used since has had it.

The cool thing is it's exactly the same process as putting your cast iron into coals to burn the seasoning off but much more regulated/even and less likely to crack or warp a pan.

I think the chances of wrecking an old pan are slim because back in the day people would clean their cast iron every year by putting it in their or by the 1950s a neighbor that still had one's coal furnace. This would strip it and then they could reseason. Using lard and cooking on a wood stove would build up so much seasoning that it would need to be burned off every once in a while. I don't have any like that anymore but some of my pans had that that type of lumpy thick seasoning when I found them.

But as I say don't fire or use a cleaning cycle on a heirloom pan. I don't want to hear someone wrecked great grandma's griswald santa or lambcake mold.

Also remember to take the oven racks out as cleaning cycles will warp/discolor them.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

On second thought I went through my pan collection and found 2 pieces that have the thick nasty seasoning I was talking about. You could clean these with oven cleaner but the seasoning is so thick it will take several applications followed by scrubbing each time to even start to strip them. The round griswald griddle pictured is actually one that I stripped with oven cleaner before I switched to using the Self clean method. All I could get was the cooking surface cleaned, I used a whole can of oven cleaner and never got the thick seasoning around the handle and sides to come off. I gave up and seasoned the cooking surface and used it like that.

I even found a video I made of me using it like that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUK0UZnpfKw

If you'd like to skip to the magic just click here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUK0UZnpfKw&t=212s

Anyways, as a demo I will strip and reseason these two nasty pieces. The first is a griswald round griddle my mom had rotting in her basement, the second is a mystery large oval griddle I got for 3.99 at an antique shop and have never done anything with. The large oval griddle is unmarked but I'm interested to see if it's actually marked and there is just seasoning filling the lettering. Anyways I wiped them off, took everything out of the oven/off the stovetop and put them on the bottom. I started a cleaning cycle that should take 4.5 hours. There is a chance they could crack, especially the large one but we'll see what happens.

Edit: I found the exact same large oval griddle on ebay and apparently the Gate Marks (slashes on the bottom from the mold being filled indicates it's pre 1900. Neat. Glad I spent the 3.99, hopefully it doesn't warp.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Gat...cQAAOSwoydWjIRf

https://michael.lustfield.net/misc/all-i-know-about-cast-iron

Edit2: It's been 2 hours and I canceled the cleaning cycle. I generally don't run a whole cycle and end it after an hour but Figured I'd go 2 because these are so nasty. Once it cools down and unlocks I will take a look, if they are still bad I'll run another cycle.

my turn in the barrel fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jun 22, 2016

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Ok after 2 hours of cleaning cycle and probably 1/2 an hour of cooldown the door unlocked. As you can see the areas that had thick seasoning now have a layer of rust looking powder.

The oven is still 300F or so but once the pans cool all the way down I will rinse them off and hit them with a wire wheel in my drill if there are any trouble spots. Then wipe them down with vinegar, then rinse, then dry on the stovetop and reseason.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

After a quick rinse under water the pans look like this

The Oval Griddle didn't have any markings but it did have some pits or casting flaws on the cooking surface that were hidden under the seasoning.

A quick wipe with vinegar to get any surface rust and then a water rinse and into a 250F oven to dry

Wiped with flax and put in a 550F oven for an hour to get the new seasoning started

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Looking good!

Also yeah, UK here and I've never seen a self-cleaning oven either.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

According to this they are likely called Pyrolytic ovens in the UK. And cost extra

https://www.kitchenfindr.co.uk/pyrolytic-ovens-are-they-worth-paying-extra-for/

And now you really can't tell if an oven has one or not. Back in the 90s there was a giant lever that you had to move to lock the door and then a solenoid would lock the lever when the cycle started. Modern ovens just use a solenoid to lock the door with no external lever.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Bible of NY Pizza at home in your oven

http://www.varasanos.com/pizzarecipe.htm

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Does the oven cleaning cycle tend to put out any smoke or heavy/bad smells? My girlfriend has a cockatoo and they are very sensitive to airborne things due to their respiratory system.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Does the oven cleaning cycle tend to put out any smoke or heavy/bad smells? My girlfriend has a cockatoo and they are very sensitive to airborne things due to their respiratory system.

Yeah, well depending on how dirty the pan/oven is, it can get bad. It is more or less vaporizing everything that isn't metal or carbon, so depending on what's in there you can get some harsh smoke and vapor.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
My oven was pretty clean, but my condo got faintly smoky, and had a bad smell for the next day or so. The night we ran the cleaning cycle, my gf and I had to close ourselves up in our room as our eyes started stinging a bit from it - by the next morning things were fine, though, aside from a lingering smell that was gone later that day.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

My oven is usually pretty clean and part of being a self cleaning oven is a special catalytic coating that burns off poo poo even during regular use. During a cleaning cycle there is a bit of smoke and smell but nothing a running vent hood and a few open windows won't fix. Seasoning with flax however puts out a pretty bad fish odor that lingers for a few hours. If you have odor issues use sunflower oil, less ideal but no fish smell. Both seasoning and oven cleaning are nowhere near as smoky as searing steaks in a hot pan on the stovetop so if these are concerns you might avoid that as well.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Admiral Joeslop posted:

In my experience, yes, it gets smokey if there's a lot of burnt on grease. I've rarely used the self cleaning cycle. In a gas oven, the bottom pan usually comes out so you can clean it and clean the burner as well. I've always just used oven cleaner and elbow grease. The self cleaning cycle takes a long time and the heat is absurd. If you brush against the front of the stove, you'll get burned. Between the kids and the dog, I just don't trust it.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
I just moved into a new place and bought a Dutch oven. It says on the box it's oven safe to 550F. Why are they lying to me?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I wouldn't do a clean cycle with a bird in the house...

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008

Crazyeyes posted:

I just moved into a new place and bought a Dutch oven. It says on the box it's oven safe to 550F. Why are they lying to me?

What type of handle does the lid have?

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Biscuit Joiner posted:

What type of handle does the lid have?

Looks like stainless. It can be removed, though.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Is it an enameled one?

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Pubic Lair posted:

Is it an enameled one?

No. Pre-seasoned but otherwise bare. I am guessing it has that limit so when some dummy screws up the seasoning and can't fix it the manufacturer has a label to point to and are protected.

BobbyDrake
Mar 13, 2005

If I want to strip seasoning, but don't want to run a cleaning cycle on my oven cause gas is expensive, could I just fire up my Weber kettle with a full chimney of charcoal and shove the pan in there for an hour or two? I can't see why that wouldn't work.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

BobbyDrake posted:

If I want to strip seasoning, but don't want to run a cleaning cycle on my oven cause gas is expensive, could I just fire up my Weber kettle with a full chimney of charcoal and shove the pan in there for an hour or two? I can't see why that wouldn't work.

That would work.

Cool thing about cast iron is it's melting point is incredibly high (2300F, 1260C) so short of tossing it into a forge you are unlikely to damage it. Anything the average dude has in their home will be destroyed by the heat long before the pan is, so go wild.

The clean cycle is nice because of the very even heating. Charcoal you will have slightly uneven heating which can potentially result in warping and, in extreme cases, cracking.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
So I got a new carbon steel pan, and after I washed it and put it on the stove to dry it started blackening before I put on any oil. Now there's a black and brown dark spot covering almost the entire bottom of the pan that's not going away.
Did I ruin my new pan? Did I not get all of the manufacturer coating off it? :ohdear:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

QuasiQuack posted:

So I got a new carbon steel pan, and after I washed it and put it on the stove to dry it started blackening before I put on any oil. Now there's a black and brown dark spot covering almost the entire bottom of the pan that's not going away.
Did I ruin my new pan? Did I not get all of the manufacturer coating off it? :ohdear:

Carbon steel will change color when you get it really hot. If you watch chinese wok seasoning videos, they will normally darken the entire pan before they begin putting on any oil. Assuming you washed it well enough to get off the machine oil, I would just heat over a flame and get the color more or less even, then season it as normal.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Two nice frying sessions and my new dutch oven looks amazing.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Carbon steel will change color when you get it really hot. If you watch chinese wok seasoning videos, they will normally darken the entire pan before they begin putting on any oil. Assuming you washed it well enough to get off the machine oil, I would just heat over a flame and get the color more or less even, then season it as normal.

Yea, when you get the thing wash it really good then just heat it up on the stove and watch it change colors. Care of those pans is about the same as cast iron.

I bought this carbon steel pan - https://www.amazon.com/Paderno-World-Cuisine-Carbon-2-Inch/dp/B000ZMA2J2

It's perfect for crepes and pancakes. It's not quite big enough to fry up more than say 3 eggs on it, and it's not deep enough for bacon, but it's a loving crepe pan. Use your 12" cast iron for that poo poo. I want to get a bigger one but I'm trying not to spend money and I'm out of room in my tiny kitchen for fun pans.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Oven cleaning days are best saved for nice cool dry 'air out the house's weather. Because you will be doing both. Might as well hang the blankets out too to freshen up.

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

So a few months ago I needed a cast iron pan to cook a special dinner, I knew my mom had some at her house but being an hour away, I just went and bought a cheap cast iron from the store. Yesterday I was helping my mom move and ran across her cast iron pans that have not been used in over 30 years. I grabbed them and put them in my car. I came home and started looking at them, here is what I ended up with.

1. Mid century Wagner skillet. No picture as the bottom is barely legible.

2. Mid century Wagner flat skillet

3. Erie cast iron skillet.

The third one seemed interesting so I started looking into it. This is apparently a Griswold before the started putting Griswold on the bottom. From my limited research(http://www.wag-society.org/guest/ERIESkilletArticle.pdf), I believe this is an 1886 to 1892 skillet. Putting it at nearly 130 years old. Only downside is I live in an apartment and I think I need to take it to my moms new house to clean it up before use.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
A two hour round trip is totally worth it for a couple decent old cast iron pieces, you shoulda gone there first. ;)

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

So my old standbys got run through the dishwasher by my roommate and his idiot stoner friends a while back. Well I'm in a new place now with no one to gently caress them up again, so it was time to re-season. A trip through the self-clean cycle, wire brush to knock the rust off, and 6 coats of oven-baked peanut oil later, and I just did this:

Oh baby it's so good to have you back.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Enourmo posted:

So my old standbys got run through the dishwasher by my roommate and his idiot stoner friends a while back. Well I'm in a new place now with no one to gently caress them up again, so it was time to re-season. A trip through the self-clean cycle, wire brush to knock the rust off, and 6 coats of oven-baked peanut oil later, and I just did this:

Oh baby it's so good to have you back.

Surprised you didn't use the fat from your slaughtered roommate to reseason. Wouldn't be the best coating, but revenge isn't always perfect

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

See I contemplated that, but THC is fat-soluble and I didn't wanna contaminate my pan, in case of drug tests.

:v:

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

My wife made 'bar-b-que" steak in one of the pans and it just burnt all the sugar to the pan and hosed up the seasoning :(

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
sever

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Massasoit posted:

My wife made 'bar-b-que" steak in one of the pans and it just burnt all the sugar to the pan and hosed up the seasoning :(

That's a thing? Can you not boil water in it and deglaze the burnt on poo poo?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Yea I did but the seasoning was thin i na few spots I guess and some rust. Better now but I'm going to put a few coats on it

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Gave my pan a little workout yesterday

My apartment and everything I own smells like loving chicken now. I gorged on cheesy cornbread before the meal so I was pretty full.

I lost some skin when I was breaking down the bird :( The whole point of fried chicken is the skin.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I use the leftover pieces of skin to check the oil temperature.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

spankmeister posted:

I use the leftover pieces of skin to check the oil temperature.

I've only got so much leftover skin since the accident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
I have a lodge that I like, but I'd enjoy a higher quality (so I guess old) cast iron. I live in Canada.

Is ebay the best place to find those? Shipping is probably going to be stupidly expensive