Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Anyone here have the HTC 10? How do you like it? Isn't the new Nexus headed in that direction?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

DangerZoneDelux posted:

I fly my Phantom using this
BlitzWolf VR Headset 3D Viewer Glasses Virtual Reality Box Movies Games Helmet Google Cardboard Upgraded Version for IOS iPhone SE 6 6s plus, Android Samsung Galaxy S5 S6 S7 Edge Note 4 5 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AJSKIDG/

It's a tight fit for my 6 though but still works

Doesn't have a camera cut out, though.

edit; oh, the front panel pops off. Cool.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
My 6P's been running low on battery in the early evening recently, when previously it was lasting all day with 30-40% left by the end of the day. I've just looked in battery usage and the second highest is Android OS with 3h 51m keep awake time. Does this sound normal? And if not, any idea what could be causing it?

e: Also, my location based smart lock has stopped working in the last couple of days. wtf?

chippy fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Jun 23, 2016

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I bought a live wallpaper. It's pretty cool. Does this mean I'm gonna run out of battery constantly now or something?

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde

chippy posted:

My 6P's been running low on battery in the early evening recently, when previously it was lasting all day with 30-40% left by the end of the day. I've just looked in battery usage and the second highest is Android OS with 3h 51m keep awake time. Does this sound normal? And if not, any idea what could be causing it?

e: Also, my location based smart lock has stopped working in the last couple of days. wtf?

I had the battery issue with a brand new Pixel C, with Android OS keeping it awake and losing 2% an hour. As silly it sounds, and I know it's obvious, but rebooting fixed it and it hasn't come back yet after a week. I didn't find what caused it, but at least you know it's not just you.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
There's a deal going on right now at Amazon and Best Buy for the Moto X Pure Edition 16GB for $239. That seems like a stunning deal. Before I pull the trigger:

• is this phone going to be obsolete in 6 months?
  • Is this phone powerful enough for basic usage (youtube, spotify, web browsing, twitter, facebook, etc)?
  • Snapdragon 808 vs the 6P's 810? Is that going to be a problem?
  • Will I regret not getting a phone with a fingerprint sensor?
  • will it be updated to N at a reasonable date?
  • What else should I know about this phone before buying?

Tigren fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jun 23, 2016

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

chippy posted:

The battery reporting in Android is stupid, it's not the OS, it's something else, have you installed something else recently?

Common advice is backup, factory reset and install apps a few a day until you find the culprit, (that is if a reboot doesn't fix it)

If you were rooted you could get a more fine tuned battery reporting app.

Side note: my new 5x battery went down to 30% or less in 9hrs until I rooted and installed doze settings editor and amplify, custom kernels and governors I'll do this weekend.

Google Fi is hard to get working with custom Roms, yeah I know there is a root thread and Fi thread I'll post the Fi questions there.

Greenify seems kinda pointless now when I can stop apps from booting or freeze them and shorter doze takes care of the rest.

Quaint Quail Quilt fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jun 23, 2016

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Tigren posted:

There's a deal going on right now at Amazon and Best Buy for the Moto X Pure Edition 16GB for $239. That seems like a stunning deal. Before I pull the trigger:

• Is this phone powerful enough for basic usage (youtube, spotify, web browsing, twitter, facebook, etc)?

It already technically is obsolete, but if you mean will you notice a difference in specs on it vs newer phones, almost certainly no

Yes

No

Maybe

No one knows, but for everything that isn't a Nexus, and even some Nexus phones in the past, assume updates will be slow or nonexistent

Good price for a good non Nexus phone. If you're worried about updates, want a fingerprint sensor, and don't need more than 16GB, look into the Nexus 5X from Google Fi for $200

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Cheap Nexus 5x deals keep popping up through other avenues as well lately, Google now informed me of 2 other similar deals as well recently.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

galahan posted:

The battery reporting in Android is stupid, it's not the OS, it's something else, have you installed something else recently?

Common advice is backup, factory reset and install apps a few a day until you find the culprit, (that is if a reboot doesn't fix it)

Hmm ok, cheers. I don't think I've installed anything recently but I could have just forgotten. I don't get why that wouldn't show up under an entry for whatever app it is in the list though?

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!

Lblitzer posted:

I'm getting a Nextbit Robin tomorrow. Kind of excited to see what it's all about but I'll likely replace it for another Moto X Pure. I wish the 6P was like $75-100 cheaper.

Did you get a chance to test it yet? I still kinda want it, mixed reviews and all.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Tigren posted:

Motorola is dead quiet about updates, no official word but plenty of speculation as far as i know. Seems like they go with security updates every fourth month, the pure got the June security update, before that it was February.

It's still on 6.0 though, no 6.0.1 yet.

I think it's a really good phone, but the uncertainty of updates is really bad. Motorola has urged people to join the feedback network all spring though, so i don't know if they're preparing for something.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Tigren posted:

In all seriousness, it should last at least 2 more years right guys? I mean sure MotoLenovo is a bit of a mess but this is still a great drat phone. Just don't expect timely updates or for it to still be useful as a "phone" in 2018.

Stick a 128 gb SD card in it and use it as an iPod substitute after that. It's the last of the SD phones.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

quote:

Will I regret not getting a phone with a fingerprint sensor?

Yes. It seems like a minor thing but it makes a huge difference in ease of use.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Keyser S0ze posted:

In all seriousness, it should last at least 2 more years right guys? I mean sure MotoLenovo is a bit of a mess but this is still a great drat phone. Just don't expect timely updates or for it to still be useful as a "phone" in 2018.

Stick a 128 gb SD card in it and use it as an iPod substitute after that. It's the last of the SD phones.

Yeah it should last , like you said just don't expect timely updates but the phone right now is really good.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i got my 6p today and man its loving huge. i thought the htc one m8 was big when i got that

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Zom Aur posted:

Motorola is dead quiet about updates, no official word but plenty of speculation as far as i know. Seems like they go with security updates every fourth month, the pure got the June security update, before that it was February.

It's still on 6.0 though, no 6.0.1 yet.

I think it's a really good phone, but the uncertainty of updates is really bad. Motorola has urged people to join the feedback network all spring though, so i don't know if they're preparing for something.

To my knowledge, the June security update has not gone out, I know I'm still on Feb.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Tigren posted:

*6 months? No, Maybe a year from now.
*This is pretty much all I do with mine, and it handles it fine. The 808 is a 6-core processor with 2 high performance A57 cores and 4 power saving A53 ones. I've only played a handful of demanding 3D games but the phone handles them fine.
* see above
* I don't, but I've never had a phone with one.
* Probably not. Motorola used to be good at updating Moto X's when they first came out, now they suck.
* The display is beautiful. The front facing speakers are great. There's an SD slot if you're into that (buy a 64GB model and just not have to worry about storage). I really like the proximity sensors on the front, and Moto's Active Display works better than regular Ambient Display for me. The camera takes decent pictures in bright light, but pretty lovely ones at night. Worse than my old Nexus 6 when using HDR+ IMO. No Camera2 api means you can't have full control over the sensor with a different camera app which really sucks.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Tigren posted:

Will I regret not getting a phone with a fingerprint sensor?

fingerprint sensors aren't secure

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Oh no

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Security exists on an effectiveness spectrum. In light of that, saying "aren't secure" is nonsensical.

They're certainly more secure than no lock at all, probably more secure than many people's pattern unlock, less secure than a long password.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
I am not sure if this is the right thread or not but here we go...

I have a note 5 and I am looking for a privacy screen. Not really a phone screen protector and I am not looking for something permanent. I fly alot and I want to slip something over my phone so the people next to me can't read my business deals.

I have this for my laptop and I have found screen protectors with glue that can go on my phone but I was wondering if they made something I could just slide over?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

Security exists on an effectiveness spectrum. In light of that, saying "aren't secure" is nonsensical.

They're certainly more secure than no lock at all, probably more secure than many people's pattern unlock, less secure than a long password.

Just don't get one where the manufacturer keeps your thumbprint as a jpeg on the device.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

chippy posted:

This has survived a reboot. I don't suppose any one knows a fix for this? It's doing my head in.

chippy fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jun 23, 2016

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Try setting a new location but do it manually with a pin when you are home

It probably just means maps has slightly changed where it thinks your home is

You can submit location corrections somewhere, I dont remember exactly how

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I'll try it, but it stopped working for my work location at the same time.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I'm out of ideas then

It'd be worth opening up the home/work locations within the smart lock settings page just to see where it thinks you are in relation to them though

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

so my mic and speaker have stopped working on phone calls but will work if i put it on speaker phone :iiam:

It's a Z5c and there's been a recent update but i'm pretty sure that i've used the phone successfully since and there's a not a huge mountain of people complaining so i don't think it's that. Is this likely to be a software thing or should i call sony in the morning and send it off for a repair?

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

fyallm posted:

I have a note 5 and I am looking for a privacy screen. Not really a phone screen protector and I am not looking for something permanent. I fly alot and I want to slip something over my phone so the people next to me can't read my business deals.

I have this for my laptop and I have found screen protectors with glue that can go on my phone but I was wondering if they made something I could just slide over?

I have a friend with a Note 5 and she has 2. One of them you just slide over by due to the curve on the screen you get this bright glow around the edges. The other one comes with a frame to eliminate the glow but is a more permanent solution. I don't have any links since I don't own the phone myself, but I can confirm they exist at least.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Tigren posted:

I just moved off a MXP to an OP3 so I could get a fingerprint sensor. Since I am required to screen lock my phone because of work email, fingerprints have saved me a shitload of pin-typing. It also makes it a lot easier to use Android Pay which is starting to show up in a lot more places.

I found 16GB to be VERY restrictive (you get a little under 10GB useable) because I like to play mobile games, and even in Marshmallow trying to put apps on an SD is a retarded shitshow.

That being said, the MXP is a great performer with good battery life and a beautiful screen. Updates are faster than other manufacturers but still much slower than Nexuses. $239 is a steal.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Desk Lamp posted:

I have a friend with a Note 5 and she has 2. One of them you just slide over by due to the curve on the screen you get this bright glow around the edges. The other one comes with a frame to eliminate the glow but is a more permanent solution. I don't have any links since I don't own the phone myself, but I can confirm they exist at least.

The glow would be fine, could you maybe ask her what it is called?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

fyallm posted:

Got goatse'd in public one too many times huh? Haven't we all...

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

alnilam posted:

Got goatse'd in public one too many times huh? Haven't we all...

I couldn't give a poo poo about that. Who cares if someone sees something like that on your phone on a plane? Sucks to be them if they get offended or care.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
How the hell do you get an Android phone to completely forget a bluetooth device? I told my MXP to forget my bluetooth headphones, but now every time I turn the headphones on, my screen turns on and asks me if I want to pair.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

fyallm posted:

Maybe you could get a case that has a built in screen protector and glue the privacy screen to that?

Vykk.Draygo posted:

How the hell do you get an Android phone to completely forget a bluetooth device? I told my MXP to forget my bluetooth headphones, but now every time I turn the headphones on, my screen turns on and asks me if I want to pair.

Sounds like you need to get your headphones to forget the phone.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

bull3964 posted:

To my knowledge, the June security update has not gone out, I know I'm still on Feb.

Oh sorry, i forget that the style and pure are actually different in that regard. Yeah, the style has the June update at least.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

chippy posted:

Hmm ok, cheers. I don't think I've installed anything recently but I could have just forgotten. I don't get why that wouldn't show up under an entry for whatever app it is in the list though?

The offending app is making system calls to take the phone out of sleep, repeatedly hammering it to check for update, it doesn't have granular reporting so it shows up as Android OS.

Or, you have turned off the wifi toggle, or GPS thinking you'd save battery, but a poorly written app is ghost pinging repeatedly saying, "hello, pick up" too stupid to know it's disabled.

Doze is supposed to help with this but stuff like Facebook and Twitter can sometimes cause this after a particularly bad update.

I don't know, it's unnecessarily hard to tell without root, the technical terms are wakelocks and alarms, that amplify app I talked about has blocked 1/3 of mine and I'm on a pretty clean 2.6gb fresh install.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

chippy posted:

I had a similar thing with mine and it turned out to be some sort of bluetooth fuckery going on - turning off bluetooth let the phone sleep as per usual.

Fortunately forgetting all my bluetooth device as re-pairing them fixed the issue for me.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I've been having intermittent Bluetooth issues with my 5x as well. I can't remember the last time I had to babysit my Bluetooth / wifi / GPS, but in the past month or so I've definitely had my Bluetooth drain battery like crazy when I wasn't using it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Internet Explorer posted:

I've been having intermittent Bluetooth issues with my 5x as well. I can't remember the last time I had to babysit my Bluetooth / wifi / GPS, but in the past month or so I've definitely had my Bluetooth drain battery like crazy when I wasn't using it.

This has been happening to me on my 5. I keep it off now because I will drain my battery in a few hours if I leave it on and unused. Makes receiving a call in the car annoying. Answer and yell at the phone "hang on I'm turning on Bluetooth" because my speakerphone doesn't work either.