Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Arrgytehpirate posted:

My Facebook is EXPLODING with people calling them traitors.

your friends are assholes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

that personal responsibility tho

As a liberal milk toast, I don't believe in it.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock
http://newcenturytimes.com/2016/06/22/go-fuing-make-my-tortilla-trump-supporter-goes-berserk-on-latino-protester-video/

quote:

The shirtless man went absolutely nuts after seeing the Hispanic man. The man had a tattoo of the the number “43,” which is associated with the Supreme White Alliance hate group. In a fit of rage that seemed completely out of context with the situation, the racist screamed at the top of his lungs:

quote:

Get the f*ck out of here — our country, motherf*cker, our country. Proud f*cking American! Made in USA bitch, made in f*cking USA!”

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Space Gopher posted:

Perhaps it would help for you to define what you think "affirmative action" means here, and how it's practiced in a modern context.

It seems like a lot of the time it gets boiled down to some "my uncle totally should have gotten that job, but he said they had to give it to an affirmative action hire instead" stereotype that's never existed in any significant way, and that tends to poison discussion on policies that do actually exist.

it's always this and nothing else. a white person doesn't get what they want and a person of color does and it's the poc's fault.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Noam Chomsky posted:

it's always this and nothing else. a white person doesn't get what they want and a person of color does and it's the poc's fault.

More like they don't get the job and say "It was probably a minority" and then they get mad at a strawman.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

[/quote]

pro click

this video is amazing

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

zoux posted:

More like they don't get the job and say "It was probably a minority" and then they get mad at a strawman.

that's what i said...

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

The general response to that video from my gay friends is that that dude is closeted as gently caress

also, buncha white supremacist tattoos.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Deteriorata posted:

We need better gun post control.

I suggest a list of known gun control post terrorists.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
https://twitter.com/seungminkim/status/746000993406574592
https://twitter.com/MEPFuller/status/746001564192518148

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/frankthorp/status/746005396154912768

Mate you just started a two week recess

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

RuanGacho posted:

I suggest a list of known gun control post terrorists.

Put them on the no post list.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

zoux posted:

The plaintiff in Fisher is a white woman.

And AA still benefits white women most. She can cry me a loving river.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

zoux posted:

On the other hand, how can I demonstrate how woke I am?

I don't get this. Sure, "woke twitter" can go overboard, but isn't the point of being "woke" like you've just started paying attention and just now noticed all the hosed up poo poo? I'm sure my reactions to noticing how the world actually works were pretty "we gotta DO SOMETHING I don't know what or how just flail until every problem is resolved simultaneously!"

"Woke twitter" is getting more people involved and paying attention. This is a good thing.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Koalas March posted:

And AA still benefits white women most. She can cry me a loving river.

I'm just saying when you're arguing this in the future don't start off with "AA is the best thing for white women anyway"

https://twitter.com/frankthorp/status/746006214463655937

My favorite things is when members of one party get mega mad and sanctimonious about poo poo they would do in an instant, oh and have many times before, if the shoe was on the other foot.

RZA Encryption posted:

I don't get this. Sure, "woke twitter" can go overboard, but isn't the point of being "woke" like you've just started paying attention and just now noticed all the hosed up poo poo? I'm sure my reactions to noticing how the world actually works were pretty "we gotta DO SOMETHING I don't know what or how just flail until every problem is resolved simultaneously!"

"Woke twitter" is getting more people involved and paying attention. This is a good thing.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

RZA Encryption posted:

No, "woke twitter" is bitching about how the perfect should be the enemy of the good.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Pretty sure there's a class on sanctimonious hypocrisy in freshman Congressman orientation.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

RZA Encryption posted:

It seems to me that "woke twitter" is slowly undergoing (if not already happened) transformation that Tumblr went through wherein its fringe elements are being overblown until those elements are considered to be the God's honest truth about the larger whole.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Koalas March posted:

I seem to find that most people against AA dont understand how it works (or is supposed to work).

Have two equal applicants. Yes. One of them a minority? Pick the minority.

For a lot of stuff, it's not even that strong, although tiebreaker AA programs have certainly existed.

For instance, the federal contractor EEO program (which is by far the largest affirmative action program in the US) just requires that the demographics of your qualified applicants and your actual hires are statistically similar, and that you have some kind of documented outreach plan to underrepresented groups so that your applicant pool and retention aren't totally skewed. There is no requirement to hire or not hire specific people.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
It's not even "perfect should be the enemy of the good," it's more like a giant social media game of oneupmanship. Whoever can find the most "woke" angle wins the day and someone will be there to defend them, no matter how much cognitive dissonance is involved

Max
Nov 30, 2002

zoux posted:

I'm just saying when you're arguing this in the future don't start off with "AA is the best thing for white women anyway"

https://twitter.com/frankthorp/status/746006214463655937

My favorite things is when members of one party get mega mad and sanctimonious about poo poo they would do in an instant, oh and have many times before, if the shoe was on the other foot.

Reminder of what Ryan did during one of the government shutdowns:

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Put this in horrifying shot I never knew happened in the us and how we conitnie to gently caress over the native Americans.

http://www.vox.com/2016/6/23/11818148/real-dollar-general-supreme-court

The Supreme Court just tied in Dollar General v. Mississippi Band of Choctaw Indians, saying that tribal courts do have jurisdiction in civil cases.

Apparently if a non tribal member commits a crime on tribal land, the courts there have no jurisdiction.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Sir Tonk posted:

http://www.stripes.com/news/gun-control-group-enlists-petraeus-and-other-vets-to-help-curb-violence-1.414754

this could make the gun control discussion a bit more interesting, not many groups can truly challenge the NRA. Having Petraeus and Kelly on there is pretty legit, even given Petraeus' issues.

Yeah now all they need is a cadre of millions of supporters who will show up to government meetings in their area.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
Well then: https://newrepublic.com/minutes/134582/clinton-world-worried-republicans-dumping-donald-trump

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/mattdpearce/status/746004485630210048

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

emdash posted:

It's not even "perfect should be the enemy of the good," it's more like a giant social media game of oneupmanship. Whoever can find the most "woke" angle wins the day and someone will be there to defend them, no matter how much cognitive dissonance is involved

Its going to be odd looking back in 10 years and wondering how so many people got caught up in this decades instant messaging craze and worse people who are supposed to be serious professionals took it so seriously.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

WampaLord posted:

No, "woke twitter" is bitching about how the perfect should be the enemy of the good.

When did white people start using the word "woke"? Tumblr? What does it mean to them?

I've only heard it used by other black folks to describe other black or nbpoc who finally start digging into the depth of institutional racism and the like. Or to mock hoteps.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Surprised they actually struck it down, even if I agreed that the limits were absurd.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

WampaLord posted:

Like I said, that was my immediate reaction when I started paying attention. People won't immediately understand that getting things done won't always get everything done and with no flaws (see: berniebros). I'm saying that I think it's wrong to look down on people that haven't learned that lesson yet.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Koalas March posted:

When did white people start using the word "woke"? Tumblr? What does it mean to them?

I've only heard it used by other black folks to describe other black or nbpoc who finally start digging into the depth of institutional racism and the like. Or to mock hoteps.

It's white people's way of saying "Love me, I'm a liberal"

E: http://jezebel.com/sweet-jesus-twitter-ceo-jack-dorseys-staywoke-shirt-i-1780107535

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jun 23, 2016

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
*tweets about attending Dangerous human being tour and supporting Milo*

*tries to get real job five years from now*

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

BigRed0427 posted:

Put this in horrifying shot I never knew happened in the us and how we conitnie to gently caress over the native Americans.

http://www.vox.com/2016/6/23/11818148/real-dollar-general-supreme-court

The Supreme Court just tied in Dollar General v. Mississippi Band of Choctaw Indians, saying that tribal courts do have jurisdiction in civil cases.

Apparently if a non tribal member commits a crime on tribal land, the courts there have no jurisdiction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kD7TGp8XML4

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Just like the true enemy of a Representative is the Senate and not the other party, so it is true in following politics that the real enemy is actually woke teens

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Sir Tonk posted:

*tweets about attending Dangerous human being tour and supporting Milo*

*tries to get real job five years from now*

It's gonna be real fun in a few years when there is not a single candidate for any office anywhere who doesn't have stupid social media baggage.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

This election just keeps getting better and better. :allears:

This is the right decision imo.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

emdash posted:

So you're saying they're "virtue signalling"?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Performative outrage or something

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

RZA Encryption posted:

So you're saying they're "virtue signalling"?

Bro it's 18 year olds trying to be loving Molotov online and loving it up, that's what's funny to laugh at. I was dangerously woke myself at that age.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Space Gopher posted:

Perhaps it would help for you to define what you think "affirmative action" means here, and how it's practiced in a modern context.

It seems like a lot of the time it gets boiled down to some "my uncle totally should have gotten that job, but he said they had to give it to an affirmative action hire instead" stereotype that's never existed in any significant way, and that tends to poison discussion on policies that do actually exist.

As I understand it if there are two applicants equal in all aspects you hire/accept the minority. I think this part is fine.

The part I don't think is fine is that you need a certain percent of minorities. Schools and jobs don't exist to hire under-qualified people. It's an individual's responsibility to make sure they are qualified.

I could be majorly wrong on all of it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

im dangerously woke

*lives in Georgetown, buys "white people tears" mug off of etsy*

• Locked thread