Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
just watch for bad commentary, bad trades and bad suits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Libertine posted:

I'm not excited about any of these players in the draft. Who should I be irrationally excited for tonight? I even watched more college ball this year than in year's past and have seen many of the big school guys and I'm just like ehhhh

There are a bunch of athletic rim runners. They're always fun. Zizic, Papagiannis, Hammons, Sabonis, Yabusele, Siakam. As the league privileges athletes and rollers more and more, these types of players are the future. You can also be excited about this year's Kyle Anderson, Kyle Wiltjer, the slowest player I've ever seen in my life. Chinese prospects are always huge question marks, and Qi Zhou is an even bigger question mark for various reasons—could turn into a Yao-level talent, or more likely could turn into Yi Jianlian.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Libertine posted:

I'm not excited about any of these players in the draft. Who should I be irrationally excited for tonight? I even watched more college ball this year than in year's past and have seen many of the big school guys and I'm just like ehhhh
my thoughts on a couple of exciting guys that the Clippers could potentially take

quote:

Ivica Zubac is the most alluring European post-presence in the draft (not counting Pöltl). The 19 year old has the ideal frame for an NBA center at 7‘1”, 250lbs and is a great finisher. His hands are just incredible. The delicacy with which he can catch and dump the ball into the rim is cause for marvel; awesome finisher for his age around the rim and in pick-n’-roll. Unfortunately, however, he’s already had foot and lower body injuries in Europe, which is the ultimate red flag for a big man. If the Clippers believe that he can stay healthy, he could turn into Cole Aldrich on steroids.

quote:

Zhou Qi looks like the final stage of a giraffe morphing into a human. His standing reach is 9‘5” and for frame of reference, Yao Ming and Wilt Chamberlain’s were both 9‘6”. It’s not often that you get a player that can touch the rim on his tippy toes. The questions here (and there are many) are whether or not you can add 20-25 pounds to his 7‘2”, 205lb frame, whether he can become mentally and physically strong enough to handle the rigors of the NBA, if he’ll be able to play his game and shoot threes against NBA-level athletes, and if he can stay on the court. If you believe that he can, he is a solid bet to be a three-point threat and rim runner on offense and a rim protector on defense; he’d be well worth the pick.

quote:

Patrick McCaw, is listed at 6‘7”, 185lbs, but he looks even thinner in motion. This lack of strength prevented him from being great around the rim in college and it’s a legitimate question whether or not he can do it against NBA athletes. Beyond his limitations in frame, though, he’s an awesome athlete, with good quickness and bounce, and could turn into an effective three-point shooter at the NBA level. He has a great floater. He reminds me a lot of Will Barton, and the Clippers bench sure could use a bit of energy.

quote:

Malcolm Brogdon, out of Virginia, makes almost too much sense not to be taken. The Clippers trotted out the corpse of Pablo Prigioni last season and tried to convince the world that he was living. While this “Weekend at Bernie’s” basketball tale, was entertaining, the Clippers need more impact in the backcourt. While Brogdon probably shouldn’t be your primary ball-handler, he doesn’t have to be with Jamal Crawford taking the primary duties for the Clippers’ second unit. Brogdon is a smart, plug and play player, who could be a difference maker next season.

quote:

So, too, could Cat Barber, Barber’s stock has been up and down throughout the draft process, but one thing has not changed: he’s the fastest player in the draft. He looked like absolute lightning in a bottle against NBA competition at the combine and should be able to get to the rim and attack at the next level. Like Brogdon, he’s not a traditional point-guard. Barber is not one to “pass first” and he doesn’t have much defensive upside, but he pack a punch for a good team off the bench. He reminds me a lot of Leandro Barbosa.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

also Timothe Luwawu is by far the most fun guy in the draft and that's who you should want your team to take.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Thon Maker droppin' like a rock. Teams think he's 2-4 years older than stated age.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Libertine posted:

I can't tell if it's legitimately a bad draft or if that just means it's all going to be on scouting and lots of late round surprises will end up being good. Guess we'll know in five years.

It's bad in that there aren't many players with a reasonable chance to become stars. Hell, there's a ton in the top 20 that won't become starters. A lot of role players, though.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
If Memphis did promise Malachi Richardson and takes him I will throw my hands to the heavens at the bar tonight. That dude looks like a lovely Rudy Gay. How many times do you want to repeat that, Chris Wallace!!!!!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Thon Maker droppin' like a rock. Teams think he's 2-4 years older than stated age.

Is this just twitter buzz or is there an article somewhere out there? Would explain why he didn't want to go to college though.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I haven't heard Thon talk but if nothing else a Sudanese/Australian background with time spent in Virginia and Canada promises the most bizarre accent of all time. Tell me he's in the green room tonight.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

Is this just twitter buzz or is there an article somewhere out there? Would explain why he didn't want to go to college though.
https://twitter.com/JakeLFischer/status/745966263525122050

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

maybe they can do some carbon dating in the green room

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

dokmo posted:

There are a bunch of athletic rim runners. They're always fun. Zizic, Papagiannis, Hammons, Sabonis, Yabusele, Siakam. As the league privileges athletes and rollers more and more, these types of players are the future. You can also be excited about this year's Kyle Anderson, Kyle Wiltjer, the slowest player I've ever seen in my life. Chinese prospects are always huge question marks, and Qi Zhou is an even bigger question mark for various reasons—could turn into a Yao-level talent, or more likely could turn into Yi Jianlian.

I like the way Yabusele moves and the way he looks. Siakim has the stats of a surprise productive player from late in the draft but I don't really know anything about him.

straight up brolic posted:

my thoughts on a couple of exciting guys that the Clippers could potentially take

I like CawCaw McCaw, but Barton was much more skilled in college. he might be more of Corey Brewer with a jump shot, which would make him much more valuable than our present Brewer. Either way, really skinny guys always need the right role.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Dejan Bimble posted:

I like CawCaw McCaw, but Barton was much more skilled in college. he might be more of Corey Brewer with a jump shot, which would make him much more valuable than our present Brewer. Either way, really skinny guys always need the right role.
yeah the barton thing is just how they both finish. I love the way that they both attack, float, and can pick either side of the rim. With both you can see them looking like a stretched out stretch armstrong not hurting them too badly.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I'm in Kentucky today wish means kings taking Murray

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

yeah the barton thing is just how they both finish. I love the way that they both attack, float, and can pick either side of the rim. With both you can see them looking like a stretched out stretch armstrong not hurting them too badly.

I agree with you there

Bad News about Wade Baldwin

https://twitter.com/JakeLFischer/status/745750553020481540

Every AIS guy is entitled, they live very weird lives and it helps them fall apart under pressure like a swiss girl playing tennis against a williams sister
https://twitter.com/JakeLFischer/status/745357535322976257

I asked my Chinese friend, Levon Wei, about Zhou Qi
https://twitter.com/levonwei/status/746002029932384256

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jun 23, 2016

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dejan Bimble posted:

I like the way Yabusele moves and the way he looks. Siakim has the stats of a surprise productive player from late in the draft but I don't really know anything about him.

Yabusele could be the next Anthony Mason :rip:
but with a nice release.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Dejan Bimble posted:

I agree with you there

Bad News about Wade Baldwin

https://twitter.com/JakeLFischer/status/745750553020481540

Every AIS guy is entitled, they live very weird lives and it helps them fall apart under pressure like a swiss girl playing tennis against a williams sister
https://twitter.com/JakeLFischer/status/745357535322976257

THIS DUDE A SNITCH TOO

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
"If there's a coach to humble him, it's Brett Brown", is not a sentence I will ever be able to read without laughing.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

WhyteRyce posted:

I'm in Kentucky today wish means kings taking Murray

Hell yeah they had nothing but success drafting Canadians

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Pretty much the only guy I'm against Charlotte drafting is Malachi, so him getting mocked there in Chad Ford's latest was great to see

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Kris Dunn is dripping with "the look"

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Kris Dunn is dripping with "the look"

This fool on ESPN just said that he can come in and instantly guard Westbrook and Curry

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

NickRoweFillea posted:

This fool on ESPN just said that he can come in and instantly guard Westbrook and Curry
yo you need to throw on the new first take immediately it's legitimately the most entertaining car crash i've ever seen

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Who in the freakin hell is this guy that replaced Skip. He looks like a doormat. This is now the Stephen A show

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

NickRoweFillea posted:

Jdjdjdjdhjxhdidhskhwifishioab

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

NickRoweFillea posted:

Well his job is to say stupid poo poo rear end hot takes so people go "gently caress I gotta watch what this moron says" and they tune in and watch all the commercials to see the dumbass, so he's pretty good at his job.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

Marc Stein reporting that Sixers "ramping up" efforts to acquire #3, whatever that means, and that it looks like it'll be some version of Noel for #3.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Nerlens for #3 is sort of tough to swallow because of how poorly Jah fits with the other bigs, but I'll live with it.

Nerlens and another other quality assets for #3 will be awful.

Nerlens for Buddy Hield and I'll kill myself.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Noel is better than almost anything 3 or below so I would do that deal.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Marc Stein reporting that Sixers "ramping up" efforts to acquire #3, whatever that means, and that it looks like it'll be some version of Noel for #3.

gently caress that.

I'm probably higher on Noel than most, but even so, his game (fast paced transition) meshes better with Simmons than Okafor's (slow, back to the basket post ISOs, needs the ball in his hands), to my untrained eye

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

aBagorn posted:

gently caress that.

I'm probably higher on Noel than most, but even so, his game (fast paced transition) meshes better with Simmons than Okafor's (slow, back to the basket post ISOs, needs the ball in his hands), to my untrained eye

It doesn't matter because Embiid is going to be starting and he will hit a million pick and pop 3s with Simmons.

e: also if the 76ers trade for number three there is almost no way it's not to draft Dunn.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Okafors offense is a lot more than back to the basket now.

Anyway Embiid is the starting c.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Bodner confirmed today that Noel's looming contract extension is considered by management to be an incentive to trade him, but that it makes him a little harder to move.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Okafor off the bench would be insanely good

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Metapod posted:

Okafor off the bench would be insanely good

That's what I'd do for his next two rookie contract years and then flip him somewhere to be a starter maybe.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
it would be enes kanter esque

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

euphronius posted:

That's what I'd do for his next two rookie contract years and then flip him somewhere to be a starter maybe.

He and his agent would poo poo bricks, but whoever they keep is going to start for at least a year or two until the Embiid situation plays out.

Might as well do that with Okafor on a rookie contract rather than with Noel on some version of a max contract.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Paul Zuvella posted:

It doesn't matter because Embiid is going to be starting and he will hit a million pick and pop 3s with Simmons.

e: also if the 76ers trade for number three there is almost no way it's not to draft Dunn.

Again, call me loving stupid but I think Noel and Embiid could coexist on the floor at least in some capacity without being the dumpster fire Noel/Okafor was (and the disaster that I think Okafor/Embiid would be).

I just really think Noel is such a plus defender and crazy athletic for his height that he's who I would want to keep.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Dejan Bimble posted:

Patrick McCaw is awesome someone please draft him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Don't trade with Danny Ainge.

• Locked thread