Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
http://dat-soldier.tumblr.com/post/144451536767/hey-blizzard-i-have-an-idea-for-a-reaper-skin

I still want this for a reaper skin so I can make kids angry and feel less like a hot topic employee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Supercar Gautier posted:

It's kind of funny how people keep posting snark about how they should have nerfed Widowmaker instead, considering they, uh, did.

If you were avoiding players over a temporary balance issue in a game that's continuing to see patches, you're a baby!!

Balance isn't the issue as much as it isn't fun to play against Widow. No one really likes getting one-two shot by some guy 500feet away playing their personal version of a Point-and-Click adventure. Unless you're a masochist for that not being able to do anything while someone punishes you for walking into their fov.

If Widow was removed then people would just play Hanzo, which admittedly has a higher skill-ceiling and has to interact at mid-range where he can be attacked by opponents.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

whatup page :420:

...dang i don't have any other content for this post

overwatch is cool

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Kerrrrrrr posted:

whatup page :420:

...dang i don't have any other content for this post

overwatch is cool

please dont say anything that suggests that mei is acceptable

that said I did catch glimpses of a pro match last night with a mei pick, and even a few torbjorns? I think they were mostly used to stall time on point A when the first team had set a really good time though.

also, following the thread about how comp mode is going to suck until fall - is there a reason aside from being really stupid that people want hero limits so badly?

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Orange Crush Rush posted:

If you ever play as Zenyatta while attacking King's Row you should feel like a massive jerk

Killing all those omnics is critical to the integrity of the timeline, Zenyatta is just doing what is necessary for the greater good.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Thor-Stryker posted:

Balance isn't the issue as much as it isn't fun to play against Widow. No one really likes getting one-two shot by some guy 500feet away playing their personal version of a Point-and-Click adventure. Unless you're a masochist for that not being able to do anything while someone punishes you for walking into their fov.

If Widow was removed then people would just play Hanzo, which admittedly has a higher skill-ceiling and has to interact at mid-range where he can be attacked by opponents.

I do think Widow has issues, but Blizzard is very clearly continuing to tweak her. They already nerfed her damage once, and they're fixing her ult callout volume in the next patch. These are probably not the last changes in the pipeline. People keep looking at this mass-avoid situation and dropping smug hot takes about how Widow is the REAL problem Blizzard is ignoring, but they're clearly not ignoring Widow at all.

I think players who avoid opponents for beating them, or because one character is momentarily imbalanced, are acting like children. But Blizzard should have refined that feature to discourage that behaviour, instead of taking it out entirely. It should be there for players to avoid assholes, not to try and game the matchmaking system by blacklisting everyone who uses certain characters and/or plays better than themselves.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Zoness posted:

please dont say anything that suggests that mei is acceptable

sorry i meant to say that overwatch is :krad:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

ColHannibal posted:

http://dat-soldier.tumblr.com/post/144451536767/hey-blizzard-i-have-an-idea-for-a-reaper-skin

I still want this for a reaper skin so I can make kids angry and feel less like a hot topic employee.

I'd love this too to be honest. I saw someone make a really good looking fanart of Torbjorn where it's a candy skin like Magni has in HOTS:

I'd love skins like this. I like how HOTS has skins that are completely different than the default skin while still being recognizable as the character they're for. Overwatch sort of does that, but I wouldn't mind them going really crazy with them. I'd love it if the art team just kept churning out skins and POTG intros and all that cool poo poo.

Still want a Garrosh skin for Reinhardt

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Now all those hanzo mains ive avoided will replace the widow mains I prefered on my team.

I will miss blocking career hanzos though.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Zoness posted:

also, following the thread about how comp mode is going to suck until fall - is there a reason aside from being really stupid that people want hero limits so badly?

I haven't played comp anything in more than a decade, but at a guess I would say it's just people being dumb and trying to find a reason to blame their failure on something other than needing to improve at the game. It's a lot easier to latch on to 'they had 5 of X' as the reason you lost instead of just admitting that your team wasn't capable of or willing to switch to a counter comp. If a stack of some particular character really turns out to be overpowered then no doubt they'll get rebalanced, but I doubt that's going to happen. If stacking all of the same thing really gave any kind of appreciable edge, you can bet you would have seen it in the competitive matches already. (outside of quick gimmicks like that team that started with 6 hanzos to spam arrow shrapnel out of the opening gate and then swapped to a real comp)

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i didn't avoid anyone based on what hero they were playing, i avoided and blocked a few people who trolled in chat or said dumb poo poo.

a couple times i was salty enough to avoid my entire team but i would get halfway through the recent player list and give up trying to remember which ones were which players.

instead i employ the following solution: i refuse to commend anyone except myself or my friends and i rate every match a minus. take that, losers

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Kerrrrrrr posted:

i didn't avoid anyone based on what hero they were playing, i avoided and blocked a few people who trolled in chat or said dumb poo poo.

a couple times i was salty enough to avoid my entire team but i would get halfway through the recent player list and give up trying to remember which ones were which players.

instead i employ the following solution: i refuse to commend anyone except myself or my friends and i rate every match a minus. take that, losers

Savage...

Cervix-A-Lot
Sep 29, 2006
Cheeeeesy
My god playing solo queue during the day is awful.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
The widowmaker in question was apparently one of the top in the world, and probably at the very highest MMR bracket or as close as a single person can come, so they were not playing against scrubs, they were playing with other people with that skill level.

Someone said that it was something 98% of people are unlikely to encounter (a widowmaker that good) which is true, but kind of missing the point in that the 2% who do encounter that, they actively consider it a slog and would rather avoid that person than play with them.

So it's not even a case of "This person is better than me, I'm going to avoid them" it's literally "This person is no fun to play with or against, I'm going to avoid them"

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

BobTheJanitor posted:

Knowing if you're a few shots from death or still full is pretty important when dealing with targets in front of you. Put a sticky note over your HP bar and let me know how it works out. You'll probably find yourself either overextending and dying way too much or playing far too conservatively and not pushing when you should have gone for the kill.

If you're already in the middle of a fight, then knowing your current health amount is pointless since you're already in the thick of it. poo poo I could cover up my hp amount and still have enough situational awareness to know when to activate defensive abilities or when its time to leap out of the enemy's backline.

poo poo, a lot of times I play too conservatively because I saw my low health and left a fight to get health when I could have stayed and fought more. Its important to understand that the enemy can't tell how much health you have unless they recently damaged you, so you can go on the offensive and intimidate enemies with low health or participate in a team fight from a distance and hide the fact that a strong breeze could knock you over.

Overextending has nothing to do with your health bar anyway. Barely escaping after overextending from low health is almost as bad as overextending and dying.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Ddraig posted:

"This person is better than me, which makes them no fun to play with, so I'm going to avoid them"

I think this is what you meant to say.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

RCarr posted:

Don't you play on console? How would you even know what its like to play against a good widowmaker?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

RCarr posted:

I only ever used the avoid function for two purposes: To avoid toxic players (I would also block/report them) and to avoid players who didn't really seem to understand that Overwatch isn't a team deathmatch game. People, who tended to be people like Hanzo and Widowmaker, who would stand on the outskirts of the point and watch it get capped rather than walk 2 ft forward and contest it. These were often the same people who would complain incessantly about everyone but themselves.

It's not really a reportable offence, but still something I would rather avoid, hence avoid being a useful tool to avoid these players. It all worked out grand, too, I was being put against people who would play the objective and actually be fun to play with and against.

Right now though I'm stuck in a hell of immovable bastions who somehow manage to put out less damage than Lucios and career snipers who don't seem to understand that standing near the point does nothing, get on the point, dummkopf.

It turns out that avoid and prefer were actually really good tools for playing against and with better players because, like a carefully cultivated garden, you can get rid of the weeds and the slugs that would drag the entire experience down for everyone.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Thor-Stryker posted:

i like playing against widowmaker. also widow has a tremendously high skill ceiling, the whole problem was blizzard failing to account for peak widow play.

i enjoy games where i have to constantly be aware of line of sight, the predictability of my own movement, the cooldowns and routes of access that allow me to pursue my enemy or my enemy to escape, and the durability of various temporary, player-created barriers

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Supercar Gautier posted:

I do think Widow has issues, but Blizzard is very clearly continuing to tweak her. They already nerfed her damage once, and they're fixing her ult callout volume in the next patch.

This still doesn't solve the main problem, Widow could do only 10 a shot and people will still rage if they're killed by her.

The problem with her, like every sniper in every PC FPS game, is that there's no interactions between the players. Figuratively, the sniper is playing duck hunt while his opponent quacks like an idiot with no way to retaliate.

Edit:

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i like playing against widowmaker. also widow has a tremendously high skill ceiling, the whole problem was blizzard failing to account for peak widow play.

i enjoy games where i have to constantly be aware of line of sight, the predictability of my own movement, the cooldowns and routes of access that allow me to pursue my enemy or my enemy to escape, and the durability of various temporary, player-created barriers
You have to do all this stuff already, doesn't matter if there's a sniper. The only difference is that you'll be in closer range and able to interact with other players, instead of having to go Winston and hoping you're on a map that has flanking-hallways in order to reach Widow.

Thor-Stryker fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jun 23, 2016

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Thor-Stryker posted:

This still doesn't solve the main problem, Widow could do only 10 a shot and people will still rage if they're killed by her.

The problem with her, like every sniper in every PC FPS game, is that there's no interactions between the players. Figuratively, the sniper is playing duck hunt while his opponent quacks like an idiot with no way to retaliate.

actually im the dog that laughs at the widowmaker by killing her w/ mercy pistol shots

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Thor-Stryker posted:

yeah except that's straight-up not true

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Hey, I guess I could go winston and go around this long route and jump up to her and, oh, I'm dead.

Hmm, well that isn't working out. Maybe I could go Reinhardt? I can block her shots, provided she doesn't grapple somewhere else, and oh, I'm dead.

How about Genji? Getting that sick reflect headshot will be so sati--oh, I'm dead.

Let's go the ultimate route and go Widowmaker and cancel each other out so now it might aswell have just been 5v5 and if both of us didn't exist the experience would be much the same for everyone else.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

ColHannibal posted:

If only.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Thor-Stryker posted:

You have to do all this stuff already, doesn't matter if there's a sniper. The only difference is that you'll be in closer range and able to interact with other players, instead of having to go Winston and hoping you're on a map that has flanking-hallways in order to reach Widow.

I am frequently in close range with and able to interact with Widowmaker, not that those two factors necessarily go hand-in-hand given that other long-range heroes also exist.

I'm also not a high-level player by any means, but as far as that goes, in the past week of competitive play Widowmaker usage dropped off a cliff and when she is picked, it's usually in an offensive capacity.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

yeah except that's straight-up not true

Yeah, it's not true at all.*

*Except for the part where AWPs are the anchor to every CS team, you know, the most popular competitive FPS game out there. Or that poor Widowmaker who Blizzard had to disable an entire function for because people, for some reason avoid him because he's "imbalanced," not because he's not fun to play against.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Thor-Stryker posted:

*Except for the part where AWPs are the anchor to every CS team, you know, the most popular competitive FPS game out there. Or that poor Widowmaker who Blizzard had to disable an entire function for because people, for some reason avoid him because he's "imbalanced," not because he's not fun to play against.

Yeah now look at what I just linked you.

It's a pretty small sample size at the moment, and it will definitely be worth continuing to watch and see if this is just an immediate reaction to the nerf, but presently Widowmaker isn't anchoring anything; that's Mercy's job.

Also the avoid function was cut because it was a stupid idea and polluted matchmaking. It's good that it's gone and the fact that a guy was getting shafted because he was good with a particular hero is just one small facet of why it was dumb and bad.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jun 23, 2016

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Just ran into a weird bug:

Last one is because it said I wasn't in the game

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

I mean if you're playing against a Widow that's some former CS pro picking up sick flick shots as soon as your nose pokes around a corner, yeah you're just hosed. But that's not going to happen all that often. Most Widows can't reliably get a shot on any class with a speed boosting ability juking past their kill zone. Tracers, Winstons, maybe D.Vas (although with the big crit spot that's iffy), etc. And usually they're going to be posted up in an area where they can't cover everything at once. There's not any map I can think of where you can just camp the end of a long hallway of death and the enemy doesn't have some way to flank. The worst is probably that first point on Hanamura where the attackers pretty much have to come in through the gate or that high window, which is pretty easily covered by one Widow. But still a Winston bubble or a Rein shield can cover long enough for flankers to slip past.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Will people stop using Jeff Kaplan's example of egregious misuse of the avoid feature as an example of how pre-nerf widowmaker is actively currently destroying the game?

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Easy Mac posted:

My god playing solo queue during the day is awful.

i tried 4am - even worse 30 minute wait times between matches

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Imagined posted:

My only "concern", and it's barely a concern, with the supposed story and background is that I wish they had made it a little more open to magical and non-human characters that aren't robots.

I dunno, how the gently caress does Hanzo conjure a double Dragon from an arrow tip that kills everything it's path and moves through walls? Even the trailer goes onto imply that it's basically magic.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Zoness posted:

Will people stop using Jeff Kaplan's example of egregious misuse of the avoid feature as an example of how pre-nerf widowmaker is actively currently destroying the game?

no

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Thor-Stryker posted:

I think Overwatch maps are quite small compared to some other games, and there are only 6 people per side. Plus there are a lot of classes that have movement skills to reach sniper perches. The only problem I see with Widowmaker is that she also has movement skills, a tiny hitbox and does decent damage up-close, making her frustratingly difficult to kill even when you do get the jump on her.

But in terms of sniping, I think she's in a good place. Getting killed by a Widow will always feel shittier than getting killed by a Reinhardt or Soldier76 because you often couldn't have done anything about it, but that is FPS sniper. The downside to playing Widow is you aren't nearly as good at contesting the point as those classes. A Reinhardt riding the cart with his shield up completely thwarts you, and I don't think it's reasonable to say that Widowmaker can just grapple behind Reinhardt and shoot him from above/behind (because that doesn't really happen).

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Thor-Stryker posted:

Well, they're not going to take Widow or any of the current heroes out of the game, so I don't know what you're asking for. Balance tweaks are the best anyone can hope for and that's what's already happening.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Whatever gave the omnics sentience had to have been magic. The doom fist is also probably as much magic as it is super technology.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

I kinda wish they would just drop widow to 150 health. I wonder what the reason for her 200 hp actually is.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I can't believe you guys still have issues with Widow

Roadhogs murderhook is way more annoying

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

JackDarko posted:

Whatever gave the omnics sentience had to have been magic.

Winston would not approve of this sort of dualism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Zzulu posted:

I can't believe you guys still have issues with Widow

Roadhogs murderhook is way more annoying

If you get hooked by the hog, congratulations, you're in range where you're having a meaningful impact on the outcome of the game.

It feels bad, but it was kinda your fault for being in such a range, even though you're probably actually playing the objective and doing that will put you in range of that kind of thing.

Widowmaker, on the other hand, doesn't need to be near the objective, or even have the objective in sight, to make the game unplayable for anyone else, and that's the major problem.

Widowmaker, like every other sniper in every game ever, is just a waste of resources that makes the game less fun to play for everyone and frankly the sort of person they attract is the sort of person that the FPS community could do without anyway.

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I kinda wish they would just drop widow to 150 health. I wonder what the reason for her 200 hp actually is.

Widowmaker seems like they were designed to appeal to people who are bad at FPS games and want to do well: 200 health, a tiny hitbox, a reliable escape, a close range assault rifle, one hit kills, poison mines, wallhacks etc.

The problem is when you give those tools to someone who actually is good at FPS games they become unfun and a major slog.

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jun 23, 2016