Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I've been looking at the 950 Pro vs Intel 750 again, and while the 950 Pro can shove bigger sequential numbers, it looks like the Intel 750 has much more random 4k speed which would make a system feel snappier, is that a fair assessment?

HMS Boromir posted:

The SSD Megathread - Just Buy A Samsung 850 EVO

So who IS Alereon anyway, and why was they being jerked?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

HMS Boromir posted:

Maybe a compromise could be found? Sandisk is reputable, the X400 has a 5 year warranty and its performance is nothing to sneeze at. Though NCIX is adamant that you should really buy one right now or you might not get as good a price.

Yeah, the X400 is a really good alternative to the 850 EVO, especially at the 1TB size where the savings are very significant.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Ak Gara posted:

I've been looking at the 950 Pro vs Intel 750 again, and while the 950 Pro can shove bigger sequential numbers, it looks like the Intel 750 has much more random 4k speed which would make a system feel snappier, is that a fair assessment?

So who IS Alereon anyway, and why was they being jerked?

I might be confusing it with another argument but I remember there was a heated argument about motherboard quality that involved Alereon. His argument was that more expensive motherboards from Asus have tangible advantages over the Asrock boards most people here buy.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Alereon is a mod. I think there was an argument over recommending Samsung stuff a while back, separate from the motherboard argument.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Intel SSD 540s (240GB) are currently available for €60 where I live. Is that a good deal? There are also EVO 750s (250GB) for €68.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

mike12345 posted:

Intel SSD 540s (240GB) are currently available for €60 where I live. Is that a good deal? There are also EVO 750s (250GB) for €68.

I'm not sure why people keep maligning the 750s - they're the second-fastest TLC-based SSDs available at the moment after the 850 EVO (though their latencies aren't wonderful). Get the 750, the 540 uses a Silicon Motion controller and Hynix NAND, but ideally, plunk down the extra 10-20EUR and get the 850 EVO.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Jun 23, 2016

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'm not sure why people keep maligning the 750s - they're the second-fastest TLC-based SSDs available at the moment after the 850 EVO (though their latencies aren't wonderful). Get the 750, the 540 uses a Silicon Motion controller and Hynix NAND, but ideally, plunk down the extra 10-20EUR and get the 850 EVO.

Ok. Already got the 850 EVO, just thought I'd buy an additional cheap one for a Linux install.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Because the 750 EVOs have planar NAND built on a slightly smaller process than the 840 EVO.

quote:

As a reminder, the original 840 EVO performance degradation issue was a result of a combination of NAND cell charge decay and NAND management algorithm issues. While NAND cell charge decay is a normal part of NAND operation, it was something Samsung’s more complex TLC NAND was more sensitive to. Meanwhile Samsung’s algorithms, when faced with this decay, erroneously went into an aggressive read-retry state, which is ultimately what lead to the drop in read performance. Samsung’s fix in turn addressed their NAND management algorithm, and at least at the time was thought to be a permanent fix for the issue.
And the final fix to the 840 EVOs was this periodic refresh nonsense.

(cue wild speculation)
This means:

a) They have the same problem as the 840 EVO, but even worse because the NAND cells are even smaller.

b) They "periodically refresh" the data on themselves, which only happens when the machine sits idle for long periods of time. While you're never gonna use up an SSD's write endurance, if the PC never gets any idle time to do that, its performance will simply drop off after a few months, just like the 840s.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

So the samsung to get that has no problems is the 850, right? Or the 850 pro?

Steakandchips fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Jun 23, 2016

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Steakandchips posted:

So the samsung to get that has no problems is the 850, right? Or the 850 pro?

It's the 850 EVO, the Pro is very slightly better in speed and much better in write endurance but for consumer and even power user usage the Pro is not worth it at all, it's designed more for data centers and other extremely intensive usage.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

It's the 850 EVO, the Pro is very slightly better in speed and much better in write endurance but for consumer and even power user usage the Pro is not worth it at all, it's designed more for data centers and other extremely intensive usage.

The one other reason to get the Pro is sustained writes So for instance you do compiling, or editing 4k video. Things like that that do a huge amount of writes over a not short amount of time. In this situation the EVO will fill its SLC buffer (8-?GB) and then revert to steady state TLC writing speeds which is not at all wonderful. The pro does better in this situation.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
I plan to get one that will last for at least twenty years of casual usage, so i guess i should get 850 pro?

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Nyaa posted:

I plan to get one that will last for at least twenty years of casual usage, so i guess i should get 850 pro?

Really? I think every other part will crumble and die around that drive before you use up an 850 EVO. You'll probably be hard pressed to find a use for a SATA drive in 10 - 15 years.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Nyaa posted:

We are not going to be using SATA in even 10 years from now. It's like trying to find a board today with IDE today.

20 years is a horizon you might need to rethink. Even 10 more years of SATA is pushing it, particularly now that NVMe exists and we don't need the features SATA provided to handle the seek time of spinning platters.

TImelines:
-Well within 5 years, you're going to want to be on NVMe. Using SATA 5 years from now will make you feel old and slow. At that time, this thread is probably going to be all about how you should buy <insert popular Intel XYZ Optane drive here>.
-Well within 10 years, any SATA device you have is going to be a pain in the rear end to manage. Microsoft and hardware manufacturers will probably be eyeballing dropping support.
-Within 15 years, we have absolutely no loving clue what storage will be. The only certainty is that having SATA will look like what, gently caress, what an early IDE drive looks like today.
-Within 20 years, you're going to be working in a Chinese labor camp and won't have these kinds of concerns.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

It is really simple: look at the second table on this page: http://www.anandtech.com/show/8747/samsung-ssd-850-evo-review/4

If you buy the 500GB drive and write -- not just read, but WRITE -- 100GB to it every loving day, it has a lifespan of 9.4 years. That's the write of a feature-length, no-holds-barred 4K video every day for a decade.

Even taking half of that remaining lifespan as an enormous margin for error, an 850 will hold you over until you become one of the late adopters of NVMe in five years.

Edit: The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware / Software Crap > The SSD Megathread - South Korean Supremacy

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jun 23, 2016

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Nyaa posted:

The hard disk my dad had in a PC from 20 years ago was a 1.5GB HDD. Even if it was still in pristine condition, I don't really think I'd be finding a use for it now.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Ok, Evo it is. Thanks thread! That's one less thing to worry in the Chinese Prison! :v:

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I got the 500 evo. Thanks guys.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

It is occurring to me that some people look at "8x0 EVO" vs "8x0 PRO" and see PRO in the same kind of light as motherboards or other hardware with tiers like "H170 Home and Office User" versus "Z170 PRO This is the Serious One."

It is once people see the write endurance of an EVO in terms of daily use through its lifespan that it becomes clear that the EVO is really the Serious Option where PRO is really more of an enterprise thing.

Edit: I mean, this was probably already obvious to everyone here - it was just a revelation to me just now. It is a matter of explaining to someone new that EVO really means PRO, and PRO really means "for unreasonable torture."

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jun 24, 2016

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Potato Salad posted:

It is occurring to me that some people look at "8x0 EVO" vs "8x0 PRO" and see PRO in the same kind of light as motherboards or other hardware with tiers like "H170 Home and Office User" versus "Z170 PRO This is the Serious One."

It is once people see the write endurance of an EVO in terms of daily use through its lifespan that it becomes clear that the EVO is really the Serious Option where PRO is really more of an enterprise thing.

Edit: I mean, this was probably already obvious to everyone here - it was just a revelation to me just now. It is a matter of explaining to someone new that EVO really means PRO, and PRO really means "for unreasonable torture."

I have a client who is a lawyer. He uses WordPerfect because lawyers love WordPerfect. I suggested he buy the Corel home/student suite because it had WordPerfect and a couple of their other programs he never uses for $30 vs. $100 for the Professional edition that had WordPerfect and a huge amount of programs he never uses. He bought it but when I came back a few months later he had removed it and bought the Professional edition because it lacked some features he uses all of the time but he couldn't tell me which ones those were (the only feature it was missing was the word professional). So, note to marketing, just call everything Pro or Professional.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

870 Pro GT Turbo TRD

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
I know Anandtech doesn't recommend it because of price but is the new Intel SSD 540s a good buy if I am able to get it at 20%off and bring it down in line with prices?

If not I think I am going to go with a Sandisk x400 1tb for my new computer. Am I going to regret cheaping out with that compared to an 850 evo down the line?

e: I currently have an 840 evo 500gb. Should I get rid of it?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Bleh Maestro posted:

I know Anandtech doesn't recommend it because of price but is the new Intel SSD 540s a good buy if I am able to get it at 20%off and bring it down in line with prices?

If not I think I am going to go with a Sandisk x400 1tb for my new computer. Am I going to regret cheaping out with that compared to an 850 evo down the line?

The X400 should be fine and the 1TB version is a really great deal, go for it.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Potato Salad posted:

This is exactly my newbie impression of it.

lDDQD
Apr 16, 2006
Ok, so here's a list of upcoming NVMe (pcie x4) M.2 SSDs. Mostly from this year's computex, but not necessarily.

Samsung SM961 posted:

• Claimed performance: 1024Gb model (512Gb model):
    • Sequential Read: 3200Mb/s (3200Mb/s)
    • Sequential Write: 1800Mb/s (1700Mb/s)
    • 4k Random Read: 450K IOPS (330K IOPS)
    • 4k Random Write: 320K IOPS (300K IOPS)
  • Controller: Samsung Polaris
  • Price: $512 ($280)

Samsung PM961 posted:

• Sequential Read: 3000Mb/s (????Mb/s)
    • Sequential Write: 1150Mb/s (????Mb/s)
    • 4k Random Read: 360K IOPS (???K IOPS)
    • 4k Random Write: 280K IOPS (???K IOPS)
  • Controller: Samsung Polaris
  • Price: ??? (Note: should be cheaper than above)

GALAX Hall of Fame M.2 posted:

• Sequential Read: 2500Mb/s (2500Mb/s)
    • Sequential Write: 1200Mb/s (1350Mb/s)
    • 4k Random Read: 300K IOPS (300K IOPS)
    • 4k Random Write: 250K IOPS (250K IOPS)
  • Controller: ???
  • Price: ???

Plextor M8Pe posted:

• Sequential Read: 2500Mb/s (2300Mb/s)
    • Sequential Write: 1400Mb/s (1300Mb/s)
    • 4k Random Read: 280K IOPS (260K IOPS)
    • 4k Random Write: 250K IOPS (240K IOPS)
  • Controller: Marvell 88SS1093

Plextor EP2 posted:

• Claimed performance: 960Gb model:
    • Sequential Read: 2200Mb/s
    • Sequential Write: 800Mb/s
    • 4k Random Read: 270K IOPS
    • 4k Random Write: 150K IOPS
  • Controller: Marvell ???

Toshiba OCZ Revodrive 400 posted:

• Sequential Read: 2600Mb/s (2600Mb/s)
    • Sequential Write: 1550Mb/s (1600Mb/s)
    • 4k Random Read: 210K IOPS (190K IOPS)
    • 4k Random Write: 130K IOPS (120K IOPS)
  • Controller: Toshiba TC58N
  • Price: $760 ($330)

Crucial Ballistix TX3 posted:

• Sequential Read: 2400Mb/s (????Mb/s)
    • Sequential Write: 1300Mb/s (????Mb/s)
    • 4k Random Read: ???K IOPS (???K IOPS)
    • 4k Random Write: ???K IOPS (???K IOPS)
  • Controller: Silicon Motion SM2260H

ADATA SX8000NP posted:

• Claimed performance: 480Gb model:
    • Sequential Read: 2900Mb/s
    • Sequential Write: 1300Mb/s
    • 4k Random Read: ???K IOPS
    • 4k Random Write: ???K IOPS
  • Controller: Silicon Motion SM2260H

Patriot Hellfire posted:

• Claimed performance: 960Gb model (480Gb model):
    • Sequential Read: 3000Mb/s (????Mb/s)
    • Sequential Write: 2200Mb/s (????Mb/s)
    • 4k Random Read: 116K IOPS (???K IOPS)
    • 4k Random Write: 210K IOPS (???K IOPS)
  • Controller: Phison 5007

For reference,

Samsung 950 Pro posted:

• Claimed performance: 512Gb model:
    • Sequential Read: 2500Mb/s
    • Sequential Write: 1500Mb/s
    • 4k Random Read: 300K IOPS
    • 4k Random Write: 110K IOPS
  • Controller: Samsung UBX
  • Price: $330

I think I've missed a few, could've sworn there were at least 4 Silicon Motion SM2206-based designs. None of them are willing to say what their 4K performance is, so likely it's not good.

lDDQD fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jun 24, 2016

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
The 950 pro is basically the only consumer one right now right?

lDDQD
Apr 16, 2006
Currently, yes. There's a whole slew attempting to play catch-up with the 950 Pro, while Samsung is pre-emptively crushing their dreams with better performance and also lower pricing.

Intel 750 is competitive with the 950 Pro, but sadly, there's no M.2 version.
VVVVVVVVVVVVVV

lDDQD fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jun 25, 2016

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Bleh Maestro posted:

The 950 pro is basically the only consumer one right now right?

The Intel 750 is more like prosumer, but still is one hell of a fast SSD. Beats the 950 Pro in iops.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
The 750 isn't M.2 though, just x4 slot and SFF 8639 (u.2)

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Last November, I bought a whole bunch of parts on Black Friday, but for reasons beyond my control I haven't been able to put them together into a fresh Win10 machine until now. Unfortunately, I didn't know about this thread then, and bought an ADATA 250GB drive off Amazon. Should I own up to my short-sighted stupidity and ride the drive out until it fails in a few years (or a week), or just bite the bullet and buy an 850 EVO from Micro Center and use the ADATA as, I dunno, an expensive and ugly paperweight?

Should note the machine will also have a separate Western Digital 1TB platter drive for storage.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Should I own up to my short-sighted stupidity and ride the drive out until it fails in a few years (or a week), or just bite the bullet and buy an 850 EVO from Micro Center and use the ADATA as, I dunno, an expensive and ugly paperweight?

Should note the machine will also have a separate Western Digital 1TB platter drive for storage.

Do you have a drive or space where you can do image backups? If you do regular image backups (after major changes to programs/settings), you can always reimage a new drive if/when the ADATA shits the bed. I'd also make sure all the data you care about is on the spinning rust, and backed up (as usual, of course.)

Other than that, I wouldn't worry about it.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

B-Nasty posted:

Do you have a drive or space where you can do image backups? If you do regular image backups (after major changes to programs/settings), you can always reimage a new drive if/when the ADATA shits the bed. I'd also make sure all the data you care about is on the spinning rust, and backed up (as usual, of course.)

Other than that, I wouldn't worry about it.

Yeah, I have an external Western Digital 2TB explicitly for Macrium images and manual backups. Honestly, all that'll probably be on the SSD is Win10, drivers, programs, and Skyrim/New Vegas/STALKER and the like. Thanks for the advice.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
Is the advice about which SSD to by in the OP still current? Looks like it hasn't been updated since 2014.

In particular I'm looking at a normal desktop case. Is the advice to go with Intel still valid?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

rolleyes posted:

Is the advice about which SSD to by in the OP still current? Looks like it hasn't been updated since 2014.

In particular I'm looking at a normal desktop case. Is the advice to go with Intel still valid?

You should probably get a Samsung 850 EVO. Intel drives still seem to be good but they're rarely cheaper than the 850 EVO line.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Rexxed posted:

You should probably get a Samsung 850 EVO. Intel drives still seem to be good but they're rarely cheaper than the 850 EVO line.

Thanks.

Just been looking at the EVOs and struggling to see if the Magician software works properly on Windows 10 yet. Is that a concern?

If I want to compare the 850 EVO to prices on a similar Intel drive, would that be the 540 Series? Looks like the 530 mentioned in the OP is no longer current.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

rolleyes posted:

Just been looking at the EVOs and struggling to see if the Magician software works properly on Windows 10 yet. Is that a concern?

Magician supports Windows 10 now. Not sure from which version, but it has for 6 months or so

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

rolleyes posted:

Thanks.

If I want to compare the 850 EVO to prices on a similar Intel drive, would that be the 540 Series? Looks like the 530 mentioned in the OP is no longer current.

Yeah, I think the 540s is the new series of TLC Intel drives. Since they're different than what Intel has produced before (mainly MLC drives) I don't know much about them, but the Samsung 850 EVO is probably it's direct competitor. I'd probably buy the 850 EVO over the new Intel but I own an 840 Pro, an Intel 530, an 850 Pro and an 850 EVO which is my current system disk so I'm not really brand loyal but go for whatever well reviewed drive has the best price at the time.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
We should just change the thread title to: SSD? Just buy a Samsung.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Rexxed posted:

Yeah, I think the 540s is the new series of TLC Intel drives. Since they're different than what Intel has produced before (mainly MLC drives) I don't know much about them, but the Samsung 850 EVO is probably it's direct competitor. I'd probably buy the 850 EVO over the new Intel but I own an 840 Pro, an Intel 530, an 850 Pro and an 850 EVO which is my current system disk so I'm not really brand loyal but go for whatever well reviewed drive has the best price at the time.

Interestingly the 240gb Intel 540s is slightly cheaper than the equivalent Samsung 850 EVO where I am (the UK) so I'll do some further reading about both options.

Thanks for the advice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smax
Nov 9, 2009

rolleyes posted:

Interestingly the 240gb Intel 540s is slightly cheaper than the equivalent Samsung 850 EVO where I am (the UK) so I'll do some further reading about both options.

Thanks for the advice!

I wouldn't recommend an Intel 540. http://www.anandtech.com/show/10432/the-intel-ssd-540s-480gb-review

• Locked thread