Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Filthy Hans posted:

No one seems to mention the Sunlight Straight Sword in this little corner of the internet, but I respecced a guy for it on a lark, 40/40 with 16 faith and 10 attunement. It is absolutely sick in pve, it does 454 damage normally but when you use its buff it goes up to 507 physical standard damage for 45 seconds. It melts through everything in the game like nothing else I've tried. I'm not sure if in pvp it'll be better than a longsword buffed with Blessed Weapon because what the longsword would give up in damage would be traded for a longer blade, and you can use a Lingering ring to extend Blessed Weapon. Also with 10 attunement you get 2 buffs before you need a blue estus which should be more than enough time to finish a duel. This sword is now my favorite weapon that's not in the greataxe or halberd classes. Give it a try if you're into min/max tryhard rear end in a top hat builds, it's really something.

Best part of using the SSS is that you can use its weapon art to basically give yourself sacred oath, a body buff, then switch to Lorian's Greatsword or Profaned Greatsword to buff the weapon without even using a single spell. Then whatever attunement you have already you can use to fill with offensive spells like Chaos Bed Vestiges for some range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

SynthOrange posted:

Arent buildups for single blade weapons basically half that of twin weapons since you're hitting once for a twin weapon's two hits?

Yup. This isn't DS2, where they could actually apply a modifier to a given attack's status ARs. Each strike applies a fixed bleed buildup effect that is modified by luck.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Mystic Stylez posted:

What are some of the best weapons for a Dex build? Should I go for Bleed then?

On top of what's already been mentioned, Warden Twinblades are outstanding. Onikiri and Ubadachi are good as well, but you don't get them til the very end of the game.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Filthy Hans posted:

No one seems to mention the Sunlight Straight Sword in this little corner of the internet, but I respecced a guy for it on a lark, 40/40 with 16 faith and 10 attunement. It is absolutely sick in pve, it does 454 damage normally but when you use its buff it goes up to 507 physical standard damage for 45 seconds. It melts through everything in the game like nothing else I've tried. I'm not sure if in pvp it'll be better than a longsword buffed with Blessed Weapon because what the longsword would give up in damage would be traded for a longer blade, and you can use a Lingering ring to extend Blessed Weapon. Also with 10 attunement you get 2 buffs before you need a blue estus which should be more than enough time to finish a duel. This sword is now my favorite weapon that's not in the greataxe or halberd classes. Give it a try if you're into min/max tryhard rear end in a top hat builds, it's really something.

Aren't body buffs like the SSS's useless in duels because all the modifiers get nerfed into the ground vs. other players, though?

The Raw rear end is a useful weapon, but it gets boring real fast and there are some fights where it just doesn't do enough damage.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Tallgeese posted:

Yup. This isn't DS2, where they could actually apply a modifier to a given attack's status ARs. Each strike applies a fixed bleed buildup effect that is modified by luck.

Wait you mean every weapon that inflicts bleed damage inflicts the same exact amount per swing?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

No, I mean that every given attack on a given weapon inflicts the same bleed damage, and you won't know what it is until you hit someone.

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Kid just rages for a while.
I've been doing it all wrong and using a raw lucerne on my pyrobro. It's done me some fun PVP favors but it was kind of silly watching my piss poor damage in comparison to my buddy hammering out upper 400/500s with each hit from his dark sword.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...
My favourite pyro weapon has gotta be the gargoyle flame spear. The damage is pretty great for the range you have, and the weapon art is super fun even it it's not super practical in PvP. You gotta pay for it with stats, but I love it.

Mr. Kurtz
Feb 22, 2007

Here comes the hurdy gurdy man.

Nibble posted:

On top of what's already been mentioned, Warden Twinblades are outstanding. Onikiri and Ubadachi are good as well, but you don't get them til the very end of the game.

Seconding this. Twinblades do a very respectable amount of damage for the modest requirements. And yeah, those dual katana things are totally awesome (though the Dex requirement is somewhat high like 22 or 25 or something).

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

i just beat this game which is the first souls game i've played since dark souls. i felt it was pretty good but found myself not giving a gently caress about soloing bosses and summoning for almost every one. the most fun experience in the game for me was invading worlds with a host and 2 white phantoms and working together with the enemies in the level to take out all the phantoms and the host. it takes a long time and only works out 1/3 of the time, so it's not a good way to farm covenant items, but it is really fun.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Paracelsus posted:

Aren't body buffs like the SSS's useless in duels because all the modifiers get nerfed into the ground vs. other players, though?

The Raw rear end is a useful weapon, but it gets boring real fast and there are some fights where it just doesn't do enough damage.

Oh goddammit the buff is useless in pvp after all, it adds 4 damage in pvp:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vA-0k6FcztI

The Blessed Weapon spell is a weapon buff so I could at least buff a longsword with it, but I'll probably respec into an optimized Demon's Greataxe character instead.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Been murdering dudes left and right as an invader. A one handed heavy hammer has a ridiculously fast light attack roll with a horizontal sweep, catching all but the most determined rollers and runners.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I'm having a surprising amount of fun with dual wielded caestus. Fighting faster weapons is tough but with perseverance I easily tank the heavy hitters and get a bunch of free hits in. Trying to work in bleed with carthus rouge but it seems like I never get enough hits quick enough to proc it.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

NT Plus posted:

I've been doing it all wrong and using a raw lucerne on my pyrobro. It's done me some fun PVP favors but it was kind of silly watching my piss poor damage in comparison to my buddy hammering out upper 400/500s with each hit from his dark sword.

But you at least you have your dignity. Plus, I've never failed to kill another player who's using the Dark Sword when I'm wielding the Lucerne or Glaive. It's like straight sword spam medicine.

Since you're a pyro, try seeing which of the halberds has a favorable infusion for Dark or Chaos. I'd really go with Dark, to give you a second damage type since I'm sure you're lighting dudes up with fire 24/7 anyhow.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The way I see it is that polearms have never really been about the damage, it's about the moveset. And that's been true of every game in the franchise, I think. The Lucerne and Glaive have awesome movesets and a smart player can really take advantage of them.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

RyokoTK posted:

The way I see it is that polearms have never really been about the damage, it's about the moveset. And that's been true of every game in the franchise, I think. The Lucerne and Glaive have awesome movesets and a smart player can really take advantage of them.
DS2 is a bit of an outlier because if you can hit the sweet spot, they will do massive damage indeed, especially in a combo. And some of its halberds (most notably the Roaring) just have great damage on their own as well as a good moveset. If you don't mind the sweet spot thing (I personally do, sadly enough) then DS2 is halberd paradise.

I_Socom
Jul 18, 2007

A great ride that requires finesse and effort to get the best out of it.

Oh my god, Dancer is an unbelievable oval office. I've not banged my head against a boss this hard in ages.

Every attack is some AoE bullshit that I can't roll away from or through (because then next billion swipes all cover the same sodding area). I've tried the Zwei, Claymore, Dark Sword and CCS and only come close once. Even the "hide behind the pillar" tactic doesn't work because her hitboxes just phase through the loving wall.

What am I missing here [git gud]? Bleed doesn't proc on the CCS because I can't get hits in fast enough. Do I need to go smaller weapons and even more aggressive (poke her in the butt)??

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

Yeah, isn't she great? Anyway, you'll want to stay either super close or, if you can, as far away as possible. Her spins are easy to dodge if you're right on her, not so much if you're at arm's reach. Always try to stay behind her, and circle counter clockwise (to her left) if you're having trouble with her grab. I'd say you want to stay locked on, at least I find it easier to judge how she will attack that way. Either way, you're better of with a fast weapon since she does way too much damage for you to trade hits with her, and I don't think she staggers easily.

The best way I've found is to stay out of her reach (or just dodge), wait for her to attack, and then roll in to punish. Only attacking when you know she wont hit back. She doesn't really mix up her combos, you should be able to count her swings and tell when she's done.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

I_Socom posted:

Oh my god, Dancer is an unbelievable oval office. I've not banged my head against a boss this hard in ages.

Every attack is some AoE bullshit that I can't roll away from or through (because then next billion swipes all cover the same sodding area). I've tried the Zwei, Claymore, Dark Sword and CCS and only come close once. Even the "hide behind the pillar" tactic doesn't work because her hitboxes just phase through the loving wall.

What am I missing here [git gud]? Bleed doesn't proc on the CCS because I can't get hits in fast enough. Do I need to go smaller weapons and even more aggressive (poke her in the butt)??

Her second phase has rather long resting periods for her ultra long combos, so what you do is run away screaming from her when she winds up because it's always 3 swings minimum, then when she's done you run in, do a couple of hits. When she does the long-rear end combo that spins all over the place you better be far away and start rolling back when she comes near. Finally, the big uppercuts and groundslam moves are easiest to punish, so get your damage in when she does those.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

yeah I am also stuck on Dancer I can get through her first phase no problem but always get my rear end kicked once she starts doing those spins, even if I am super close I can't seem to dodge them well (and far away is not much of an option for my build)

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Rough Lobster posted:

But you at least you have your dignity. Plus, I've never failed to kill another player who's using the Dark Sword when I'm wielding the Lucerne or Glaive. It's like straight sword spam medicine.

Since you're a pyro, try seeing which of the halberds has a favorable infusion for Dark or Chaos. I'd really go with Dark, to give you a second damage type since I'm sure you're lighting dudes up with fire 24/7 anyhow.

There are SO many answers to dudes who main the Dark Sword. For one the Swordspear is amazing at hitting them at a distance without even taking damage from their spam. The lucerne and glaive are good too because they have basically the same range. Great swords are also amazing at getting them before they can even touch you plus you'll get your hyper armor if they decide they want to keep on spamming their ridiculously fast R1 attacks. I've killed almost everyone I've seen using only the dark sword except for a couple, just because it is so popular that certain people I run into I just screw up and they end up killing me.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
If you have any small amount of faith for gnaw or the upgraded gnaw it makes her a joke.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Real talk, other than straight swords -- all other weapons are oversized and look dumb.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

I_Socom posted:

My first time beating her, I was running an STR build, so I was able to get naked and wield Yhorm's Greatshield. That had enough stability to tank every combo except taking all of her phase 2 apeshit long combo. Then it was just a matter of not getting greedy with m'stabs

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Simply Simon posted:

DS2 is a bit of an outlier because if you can hit the sweet spot, they will do massive damage indeed, especially in a combo. And some of its halberds (most notably the Roaring) just have great damage on their own as well as a good moveset. If you don't mind the sweet spot thing (I personally do, sadly enough) then DS2 is halberd paradise.

Spears, polearms, halberds, pretty much anything at the end of a stick is really good in DS2 if you can sweet spot it. But the nice thing is that you can just offhand a straight sword or something similar and use that on anyone that doesn't play along.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Back when DS1 first came out, I was listening a lot to Penderecki and I decided to to listen to Utrenja (read: the score that Kubrick took from for The Shining) while I started a new character. I thought the two worked really well together. Enter Bloodborne and it was everything that that serendipitous moment promised.

The one thing that DS3 lacks is an engaging score. I would say even DS1 had a few moments that stuck with me (Nito's battle, Seath), DS2 had none, DS3 also seems to do the generic fantasy boss battle music but that may be because I haven't listened to it all that much. I will say that Champion Gundyr's battle music seems to have callbacks to Rom's from Bloodborne. So that's good, if a bit unexpected.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Astrochicken posted:

Back when DS1 first came out, I was listening a lot to Penderecki and I decided to to listen to Utrenja (read: the score that Kubrick took from for The Shining) while I started a new character. I thought the two worked really well together. Enter Bloodborne and it was everything that that serendipitous moment promised.

The one thing that DS3 lacks is an engaging score. I would say even DS1 had a few moments that stuck with me (Nito's battle, Seath), DS2 had none, DS3 also seems to do the generic fantasy boss battle music but that may be because I haven't listened to it all that much. I will say that Champion Gundyr's battle music seems to have callbacks to Rom's from Bloodborne. So that's good, if a bit unexpected.

Gargoyles didn't stick? Or Iron Golem?

DS1 is probably still my favorite soundtrack. DS3 has some great moments though - title screen is amazing, as is the Dancer's theme. Abyss Watchers is good too.

DS2....yeah, other than a couple bars of Majula I really can't remember anything.

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

I'd say Dark Souls 3 has some of the best and most engaging tracks of the series with the Main Theme, Dancer, Oceiros, Twin Princes, Dragonslayer Armor, Secret Betrayal... that's a lot of really good tracks. Nothing comes even close to Bloodborne's fantastic score, which is a shame, but I suppose DS3 simply didn't have the budget to match.

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy
From DS2, I really liked Demon of Song. The throat singing, clacking of the percussion, and whistle-like flute did a good job of capturing the nature of its unique and disgusting anatomy. It really enhanced the mood for what is really a simple boss fight. Darklurker is really good too. The harp, the plucking of the strings, and the bells was really appropriate for how ethereal and mythical it is. There are a couple of other great tracks like Sir Alonne and Throne Watcher and Defender as well.

From DS3, the aforementioned Abyss Watchers is my favorite track, and I think the soundtrack in general is better than DS2's. Having another arrangement for the final phase of boss fights is just really cool in general. Aldrich is really great because it is literally another track smothering Gwyndolin's theme. Oceiros transitions from this dark, siren-like song to fast and wild song when he starts fighting like a beast. Soul of Cinder is kind of a generic song that becomes really wonderful when Gwyn's theme kicks in. Honestly, the only tracks I kind of dislike are Curse-rotted Greatwood and Crystal Sage, but they are still appropriate songs for their fights.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I liked some of the music in DS3 (Abyss Watchers, Soul of Cinder, Dancer) but yeah, nothing even comes close to the amazing music from Bloodborne. It's simultaneously evocative and bombastic and it's just a treat.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
I've reached the Soul of Cinder in my Level 1 Deprived run. It's like trying to beat up a woodchipper.

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

Bloodborne even has songs with lyrics - and not only that, the lyrics make sense thematically! In contrast, I still haven't figured out what "HA HE HO HU HA HA HU" is supposed to mean in in relation to Dark Souls.

edit: okay, I actually listened to the Abyss Watchers theme again - I suppose some tracks actually have some lyrics beside HU HU HA HE HA

Jordbo fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jun 23, 2016

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010
I think DS2 and DS3 probably are about the same in terms of music, especially if you take DLC into account. DS3 has a few standouts, that may jump above DS2, but personally I don't find most of the music as memorable as the previous game. Both are better than 1. That said, neither game comes close to Bloodborne's music.

Generally, I feel a bit mixed on DS3's designs. I think it has some very smart, and densely packed, area designs which outshine a lot of the areas in 2, especially outside of the DLC areas, but I think they may have clicked for other people more than they did for me. I think weapon/armor design are about the same between the games, though, since this series tends to do a good job there (even with weirdly proportioned handles and such).

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I didn't care much for BB's, but Cleric Beast's got a real good theme. It's not bad or anything, just not too memorable to me.

Panty Saluter posted:

DS2....yeah, other than a couple bars of Majula I really can't remember anything.

The Old Dragonslayer's got a pretty rad theme, as does the Shulva Gank Squad.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The music in DS2 is awful.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Jordbo posted:

Bloodborne even has songs with lyrics - and not only that, the lyrics make sense thematically! In contrast, I still haven't figured out what "HA HE HO HU HA HA HU" is supposed to mean in in relation to Dark Souls.

edit: okay, I actually listened to the Abyss Watchers theme again - I suppose some tracks actually have some lyrics beside HU HU HA HE HA

The soundtrack is laughing at you, just like in Demon's Souls

Also Demon's Souls soundtrack is the best IMO

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

My advice for the Dancer is to admire the booty intently. She doesn't really turn very well unless it's with an attack and those are really obvious ones. Also makes the spin impotent because it drags her forwards and thus away from you. In fact the only big knight style boss this doesn't work on from memory is the Champ because his turning attack is a sweet back-kick that comes out super fast.

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

New Concept Hole posted:

The soundtrack is laughing at you, just like in Demon's Souls

Also Demon's Souls soundtrack is the best IMO

This is correct. Demons souls has the funnest, weirdest and most memorable soundtrack.

Rahtas
Oct 22, 2010

RABBIT TROOP FOREVER!
I was able to hold off! I came so close to asking for a Goon meat shield for the Dancer fight.
I'm doing a bow only run and she is one of the hardest bosses. It doesn't help that I started deprived and have only put points into dex with a little into endurance and stench to use the dragonrider and dragonslayer bows.
For me, the composite bow, with its roll shot is good speed, but too little damage; the dragonslayer bow is great damage, but takes all my stamina so I can't roll. To my surprise, I ended up using the Pharis Black Bow. The damage is good, and it leaves me with stamina to roll afterwards. It's range is also good so I could free up my hawk ring slot and not lose damage. Still took forever. And cost me plenty of souls because when I was trying to see if I could swing the fight with the great bow about 20-30 times, I used probably over 100 great arrows and those jerks are 500 souls a piece.
Also, thanks RiotGearEpsilon for reminding me Lloyd's shield ring is a thing. One attack of hers in particular is tough to dodge and the ring saved me from being one shot by it. Well, that ring and ring of favor.
Also, she is kinda b.s. with bows because the pillars in the room are about 1 - 2 feet wider than their visual, so lots of arrows and great arrows got launched to stick into empty air.
So far, I'm proudest of beating her and Aldritch via bows. The biggest problem with Aldritch was avoiding phase 2 arrow rain while simultaneously avoiding 1 hit k.o. magic laser blasts.
So far, the game is very binary with bows. You either murder things with headshots from afar or you (well, at least me) are running in a panic cuz I can't take a hit and I need a moment to fire the bow.
I'm hoping my next stop to be Archdragon peak to get upgrade materials for my bows. I need, like, 12 more scales, 8 more twinkling, and a jillion chunks and I've bought all that greirat has to offer.
I really, really wish I could infuse my bows. Playing with upgrades this run isn't very fun because I don't get to make any trade offs with their upgrades. And I find it hard to believe that infusing them would make them op. Maybe a bleed-bow would be insane in pve, I don't know.
It is also a bit interesting going through the levels because I have to strive to make every kill 'worth it'. If a kill returns less in souls than the price of the arrows it takes to kill it, then that can eventually lead to problems. And deaths are heart breaking if I lose my souls, especially when I'm counting on what I've got to replenish my arrows between long trips back to firelink.
I also wish I had gotten the onislayer greatbow before the dragonslayer. I think it scales better with dex and in my excitement for a greatbow, I used all my upgrade materials on the dragonslayer.
It's a lot of fun and if you have any interest you should give it a try. And if you ever need to summon someone, I've got your back, I know the pain you'll be in during some bosses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
Dancer was a bitch but I switched to a faster sword and basically fled behind pillars to drink estus. Honestly, any place that gives you some sort of obstructions is giving you a huge break as far as pacing goes, as you can usually flee and position behind them long enough to refill/rebuff/whatever. It took me like 4-5 tries, but I beat dancer by rolling like a madman and sort of timing her second stage super spins as best as I could.

Lorian and Lothric, that was a poo poo sandwich of a fight. Really demoralizing that they can self res a few times if you can't beat back buddy hard enough. Also the magic line attack is the epitome of bullshit, even loving roll dodging I would often get hit taking like 90% of my health from a glancing blow. Thank god for the +5 ice sword, which fortunately cleaved through them pretty well.

I don't even want to think about the nameless King.

Jordbo posted:

I was waiting longer to do my comparisons, but since I am nearly at the end of DS3 now.

I love the medievalish aesthetic of DS3 and the music tends to be fine for me. I actually really really like the title music in particular, the whole choral compositions thing tends to work well for the setting of DS. BB music and aesthetics are good, I just like the medieval world of DS3 a little more.

As far as the games go, I think now I can safely say that I liked Bloodborne more as a game, and I like the general gameplay design a lot more. There are less options than DS3 in how you build your character or play, BUT everything feels much more tidy and refined. There is no stupid weight to contend with and two slots for both hands gives you more than enough latitude and is very easy to use on the fly. More importantly than that, the aggressive playstyle of BB is just more satisfying to me. BB by refilling your health on attacks makes the game more encouraging to just go up in peoples faces and gently caress them up. You can commit to crazy attacks and more importantly make up for mistakes during them. DS3 tends to ration estus much more conservatively and managing health tends to be more pressing. I find it makes the game a little less fun because bloodborne thrives more on being able to play reckless and simply having no defense outside of rolling or how fast you can flee. :D

They are both really good games though, and even if I think BB is a little more fun, I think DS3 is awesome and has a lot going for it.

edit: I also think BB's weapon system is a lot less klutzy than the weapon arts thing. One button you switch modes and your weapon had a whole new style of attack, no FP consumption, no complicated button sequences. In DS3 I never bother with weapon arts because they take me too long to get going and I can do the same damage just counterattacking with a fast enough weapon.

unlawfulsoup fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jun 23, 2016