Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

manyak posted:

The books have him around +240, so a little more than a 2:1 underdog, so theres probably value in betting against him, in fact its kind of suspicious that the line is like that and hes not a bigger underdog

You can bet on the fight not lasting more than 1.5 rounds at a cool -225

drat i wanna bet against him, is mickey gall terrible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Thauros posted:

Ooh, Clevland's driveable and it's headlined by the Overeem/Miocic match. Might go as I've never seen MMA live, the card looks halfway decent, and I can say I was at what will probably be Punk's only MMA match.

I dunno about it being his last match. He'll probably go on fighting D-list celebrities like Verne Troyer, Frank Stallone and Vanilla Ice.

(CM Punk takes himself waaaaaaaay too seriously for this, but I badly want to see him in The Surreal Ultimate Fighter)

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Skip My Posts posted:

hard to say. i think his last fight made him look good though. but i might be misremembering

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Skip My Posts posted:

That's pretty impossible to say because he's only had two pro fights against nobodies, but his one bout in the UFC was against a 31-year-old debutante and Gall absolutely obliterated him. Punk has the same record as that guy and is older and way more beat up.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
Mickey Gall's last fight made me hyped to see more of Mickey Gall.

Team_q
Jul 30, 2007

Micky Gall beat up a dude that, at first, thought he was called to take pictures of the event, because he is a photographer.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

A photographer that has been training and fighting for longer than Chick Magnet Punk.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
Even if Gall's actually really bad standing up and he just got lucky against an unprepared can, he's still so much more athletic than Punk that he's probably going to beat him however he wants. It's strange to me that the UFC picked someone who's going to be way better than Punk on the ground instead of a one-dimensional stand-up guy like the one Gall just beat, since I'm assuming Punk's main weapon would be his BJJ, but yeah, he's hosed.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Skjorte posted:

Even if Gall's actually really bad standing up and he just got lucky against an unprepared can, he's still so much more athletic than Punk that he's probably going to beat him however he wants. It's strange to me that the UFC picked someone who's going to be way better than Punk on the ground instead of a one-dimensional stand-up guy like the one Gall just beat, since I'm assuming Punk's main weapon would be his BJJ, but yeah, he's hosed.

CM Punk is not a BJJ player, he had an online white belt from Gracie BJJ.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Someone should pay me 500k so that I can get fat and fight CM Punk - I'll take him down, get into an RNC position, then let him sweep me and tap to strikes.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'll do all of that for 499k, but I'll accidentally knock him out while tapping to his armbar

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

1st AD posted:

To be fair, if your everything sucks, your weapon is whichever of the everything sucks the least.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Give me a mil and I'll let him KO me when I go to touch gloves to start the fight

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010

1st AD posted:

I didn't say Punk was a grappling wizard, but I'd assume from his years of sporadic BJJ training (as well as interviews that he's given) that he would prefer to take the fight to the ground. If he'd been given a nobody with a fresh blue belt he might've stood some semblance of a fighting chance, but not against someone that's that far ahead of him, and a quick learner, to boot.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Skjorte posted:

I didn't say Punk was a grappling wizard, but I'd assume from his years of sporadic BJJ training (as well as interviews that he's given) that he would prefer to take the fight to the ground. If he'd been given a nobody with a fresh blue belt he might've stood some semblance of a fighting chance, but not against someone that's that far ahead of him, and a quick learner, to boot.

A fresh blue belt would still beat Punk.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

1st AD posted:

A fresh blue belt would still beat Punk.

i duno about that .. he has pretty big muscles and stuff

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
Punk's not a gifted athlete by any means, but of course the guy would have fighting chance against a fresh blue belt after getting special attention from a fairly high level gym for a year (plus whatever bit of white belt training he picked up the years prior).

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

CM Punk might be a white belt, but when he picked it up from the gym after finishing his GracieAcademy.com registration, I bet he went an expensive gym that makes their belts out of better materials so he's definitely a good white belt.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Huh. 203 is happening in Quicken Loans Arena, the same arena where Punk walked out of the WWE backstage. Wonder if that was intentional

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Chris James 2 posted:

Huh. 203 is happening in Quicken Loans Arena, the same arena where Punk walked out of the WWE backstage. Wonder if that was intentional

That seems like the kind of thing only 12 people in the world will know and care about, so I doubt it. Besides, the whole real reason they're rushing to Cleveland for the first time ever is because Stipe broke the curse.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Bluedeanie posted:

That seems like the kind of thing only 12 people in the world will know and care about, so I doubt it. Besides, the whole real reason they're rushing to Cleveland for the first time ever is because Stipe broke the curse.

i am a dorkus and sent all things considered a correction because they said the cavs championship was clevelands first "professional sports title" since the browns

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Chris James 2 posted:

Yeah dude maybe.

Optimist with doubt
May 16, 2010

Scoop Lover

:vince:

he knows...
I can't wait for this fight to be over then instead of 100 pages saying punk will get destroyed we can get 100 pages of why punk was destroyed.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjKHQeRSvjk

Looking forward to Kool Keith's MMA debut

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009

Optimist with doubt posted:

I can't wait for this fight to be over then instead of 100 pages saying punk will get destroyed we can get 100 pages of why punk was destroyed.

"He got punched really hard. That is why he lost"

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Tato posted:

Well, Drax went from selling 49,601 copies with issue #1 to selling 11,259 copies with issue #7. Given that Marvel cancels almost anything below 20,000 that doesn't sell a bunch of trades, I think CM Punk will have even more time to devote to MMA in the future.

Jerusalem posted:

Just make every issue #1, problem solved!

Tato posted:

Hello I work for Marvel comics and think this idea is brilliant, how soon can you start

Jerusalem posted:

Sorry, DC already hired me to entirely revamp their entire range of comics and take the company in an entirely new direction.... so I'll be available for hire again in about 3 months.

Nice to see mainstream comics haven't learned a goddamn thing since I stopped following them after Grant Morrison left X-Men. I'll just stick to my pretentious Fantagraphics and Drawn + Quarterly graphic novels, thank you very much :colbert:

To make this post about Punk: I don't think he will win but I respect him for trying.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

i mean, they didn't have to learn anything the whole movie industry is based around them now

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

the book part of comics is certainly shifting to second fiddle to counting massive stacks of cinema money.

I mean who has time to write/draw comics when you're counting out those numbers?

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I'm curious, it seems like everyone is convinced Punk is going to get the poo poo kicked out of him. I believe it, but I'm not sure I understand the entirety of the reasoning. Here's what I get:

* He's significantly older than his opponent
* He has a longer injury history than his opponent
* He has less experience than his opponent
* Young and hungry guy against a rich hobbyist dude

Obviously, all of those things point to Punk losing. Is there anything else (like training videos of Punk obviously sucking), or is it as simple as that? I haven't followed this at all and I kind of expected opinion to be more split about how the match would go. I'm not a mixed martial arts guy, though, so I probably put more stake in the puncher's chance idea than is merited by the facts.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Biggest thing is that his opponent has been training for years longer than Punk and he's already proven himself to an extent as not being totally useless. Punk's had less than 2 years dedicated training, plus his age, banged up body and lack of aptitude mean it's a near certainty he'll get crushed, on paper.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

surf rock posted:

I'm curious, it seems like everyone is convinced Punk is going to get the poo poo kicked out of him. I believe it, but I'm not sure I understand the entirety of the reasoning. Here's what I get:

Obviously, all of those things point to Punk losing. Is there anything else (like training videos of Punk obviously sucking), or is it as simple as that? I haven't followed this at all and I kind of expected opinion to be more split about how the match would go. I'm not a mixed martial arts guy, though, so I probably put more stake in the puncher's chance idea than is merited by the facts.

Well in reality its not as one sided as people here are making it seem, hes only around a 2.5 to 1 underdog so on the books people are giving him about a 30 percent chance to win, it wouldnt be that shocking if he won

But yeah you basically have all of the points, fighting is hard and not everyone takes to it, and the indications are that CM punk is not really a natural. I dont think there have been videos of him sucking but theres been no videos of him training and looking decent either which there definitely would be, to hype the fight, if he didnt suck

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

surf rock posted:

Aside from minor details like CM Punk being old, injured, and inexperienced?

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa

Keg posted:

Aside from minor details like CM Punk being old, injured, and inexperienced?

It's reasonable that people would assume those issues aren't that important if the major mma company is allowing him to fight in spite of them.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Well they also let James Toney fight a former heavyweight champion, so...

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
That isn't what anyone means when they talk about fighters being old and injured. Except for hot brain.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

DannoMack posted:

It's reasonable that people would assume those issues aren't that important if the major mma company is allowing him to fight in spite of them.

It means less in a post Bellator 149 world and a company that still books JDS

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
I'm not saying they aren't important, just that it isn't unreasonable for a casual watcher to think "these things I think would be major problems for someone like him must not be that bad because the ufc obviously knows more than I do!"

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

surf rock posted:

It's more just the fact that he's attempting to train himself to a legitimately competitive level in a professional sport based on 18 months' training with no particular background or physical advantage, and they don't seem willing to have made his opponent an obvious can in the same way that Mickey Rourke got to beat up a hobo for money

I think it's commendable that he wants to be a grown-up and have real fights against people who weren't C-level actors in the 90s, but hell, imagine for a minute someone seriously trying to do the same thing with pro boxing and you immediately start to see how difficult a task it's going to be for him

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I really want CM Punk to be a secret fighting expert and become the greatest of all time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

triplexpac posted:

I really want CM Punk to be a secret fighting expert and become the greatest of all time

even if he possessed the skills, he'd still probably need a better camp/coach than the remnants of Duke Roufus.

• Locked thread