Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
The eu is cool and good and one of my favourite things about living in the uk. Everyone in the out crowd has been duped by a relentless barrage of right wing media of mostly fictitious stories for the last 20+ years and some sort of British exceptionalism because there used to be an empire or something. Also Churchill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

You'd think a referendum like that should require a 2/3 majority anyway.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

corn in the fridge posted:

The eu is cool and good and one of my favourite things about living in the uk. Everyone in the out crowd has been duped by a relentless barrage of right wing media of mostly fictitious stories for the last 20+ years and some sort of British exceptionalism because there used to be an empire or something. Also Churchill

All of you guys are basically Scotland now. Congrats! Enjoy getting it in the dumper forevermore.

It is sort of amazing that the British pub-orator underclass is upset at Scotland for trying to reach independence but then wants to turn around and tell Brussels to stuff it.

Maybe Boris Johnson will run for PM at around the same time Kevin O'Leary becomes Canadian PM, then we can have Trump, Johnson and O'Leary meeting at the United Nations - a triumph of populism and a testament to the indomitable will and informed self-interest of the average yob.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jun 23, 2016

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Well it finally happened.

yesterday I was taking a poo poo at work and clearly heard someone eating a bag of chips on the shitter next to me :cry:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

InitialDave posted:

Here's a decent enough simple explanation: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-32810887

I have voted to remain in the EU. Almost everyone I know is voting to remain in the EU. I have not encountered anyone with half a brain or who understands the big picture who thinks the "out" option is a realistic proposal.

Thanks for that. When I first started seeing some of this pop up in my newsfeed I was wondering that it sounded like an incredible undertaking and I am surprised to hear and see the public appears to be evenly split. Is the tension caused by a large migrant population or is it from the heavy taxation that EU members face? I also found this bit funny in the questions and answers at the bottom:

quote:

Would the EU still use English, if the UK voted to leave?
Yes, says BBC Europe editor Katya Adler. There would still be 27 other EU states in the bloc, and others wanting to join in the future, and the common language tends to be English - "much to France's chagrin", she says.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

How did French get up to the #2 position in terms of universal languages, anyway?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

BraveUlysses posted:

yesterday I was taking a poo poo at work and clearly heard someone eating a bag of chips on the shitter next to me :cry:
gently caress that I dont even bring completely closed drinks in the bathroom with me.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I also found this bit funny in the questions and answers at the bottom:
For a long time, French was the common diplomatic lingua franca, and indeed was the "official" EU working language along with German until we turned up in the seventies.

Note that "Franca" has nothing to do with the words France or French, however (not being condescending if you already know this).

So while there's never a bad time to take a jab at the French, there is actually a specific point to that.

Enourmo posted:

How did French get up to the #2 position in terms of universal languages, anyway?
Colonisation and success at beating armies speaking other languages, pretty much the usual.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

Seat Safety Switch posted:

All of you guys are basically Scotland now. Congrats! Enjoy getting it in the dumper forevermore.

It is sort of amazing that the British pub-orator underclass is upset at Scotland for trying to reach independence but then wants to turn around and tell Brussels to stuff it.

The Scottish referendum was met with much ambivalence in England. That being said the current referendum is largely a product of English nationalism as Scotland and Northern Ireland are overwhelmingly in favour of remaining, meanwhile Wales continues to exist only on a football pitch atm

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

The Scottish referendum was met with much ambivalence in England. That being said the current referendum is largely a product of English nationalism as Scotland and Northern Ireland are overwhelmingly in favour of remaining, meanwhile Wales continues to exist only on a football pitch atm

I can't imagine Wales wouldn't be completely obliterated once the EU language and culture protections are abolished in favour of a roaring free-trade fire.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

The Scottish referendum was met with much ambivalence in England.
Largely because it'd hurt them a lot more than us. Though while I say "us" as I live in England, I'm half Scots and think the idea was nuts.

meanwhile Wales continues to exist as a rally stage

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

BraveUlysses posted:

Replace "bag of chips" with "bowl of soup". Yep.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Thanks for that. When I first started seeing some of this pop up in my newsfeed I was wondering that it sounded like an incredible undertaking and I am surprised to hear and see the public appears to be evenly split. Is the tension caused by a large migrant population or is it from the heavy taxation that EU members face? I also found this bit funny in the questions and answers at the bottom:

People speaking funny accents and moving in to the towns and scare stories about the EU ruling the lives of the British are staple stories of some the less reliable rags, like the Daily Mail

Actually, now I think about it, the founder of the Daily Mail was a big fan of Hitler, so it's not a surprise that they hate foreigners.

On the other hand, you'd think that they would be in favour of a European superstate that lasts for a 1,000 years.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Dagen H posted:

Replace "bag of chips" with "bowl of soup". Yep.

Well that's worse but the bathroom is literally right next to the cafeteria.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
The new Doom is on sale on Steam for $35 instead of $60.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

InitialDave posted:

I have voted to remain in the EU. Almost everyone I know is voting to remain in the EU. I have not encountered anyone with half a brain or who understands the big picture who thinks the "out" option is a realistic proposal.

My cousin who runs a minibus firm has voted to leave as she doesn't want to have to organise pensions when her company reaches a certain size and one guy I know who takes his Skyline around Europe on trackdays at least 5-6 times a year is voting to leave because... he is a mong I guess.

Everyone else I know is voting to remain including myself. I would also want to go further and have everyone who pushed to have this waste of time and money removed from office and banned from any government position.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

The new Doom is on sale on Steam for $35 instead of $60.

There goes $35.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Contract #6 acquired :getin:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I am utterly loving depressed to find I was the only one in my family that voted remain. My wife's family all voted remain.

And maybe I laid it on a bit thick with the how cameras work explanation but the guy seemed genuinely interested and I'm an engineer and I can't help myself.

The guy had a problem with my qi charger (who's field probably can't be detected more than 150mm away) because the wireless was giving him migraines. There are 150+ people in the office, all with mobile phones, wifi, most have laptops. I showed my boss that it was unplugged and pretended to use it and the guy had theatrical attacks every time I put my phone down.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cakefool posted:

The guy had a problem with my qi charger (who's field probably can't be detected more than 150mm away) because the wireless was giving him migraines. There are 150+ people in the office, all with mobile phones, wifi, most have laptops. I showed my boss that it was unplugged and pretended to use it and the guy had theatrical attacks every time I put my phone down.
How's his younger brother's law career doing?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Cakefool posted:

With that level of sensitivity, I suspect the merging of black holes lightyears away really gave him a whopper.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

InitialDave posted:

How's his younger brother's law career doing?

:golfclap:

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
If the Pound holding steady in currency markets right now is anything to judge the EU ref polling by, it looks like "I'm a Non-Fuckwit/Vote Remain" is going to win.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Here's to the UK *not* becoming Airstrip One under Lord Johnson's never ending rule.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Ether Frenzy posted:

If the Pound holding steady in currency markets right now is anything to judge the EU ref polling by, it looks like "I'm a Non-Fuckwit/Vote Remain" is going to win.
Yeah. While official polls are not being taken, 3rd party/commercial polling can be used by businesses to help them decide which way to jump on the markets, and the trend you see should reflect that.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Hopefully. I don't want to wake up tomorrow and have to accept the reality that the UK people want out.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

A guy in my office used to drink his coffee on the toilet. A little strange, but then he would set it down on the floor any time he needed both hands.

Oh, none of the toilets are attached to the floor very well, so I doubt the integrity of the seals.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

88h88 posted:

Hopefully. I don't want to wake up tomorrow and have to accept the reality that the UK people want out.

Don't worry, there's still a very slight chance that you won't wake up tomorrow.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Powershift posted:

Don't worry, there's still a very slight chance that you won't wake up tomorrow.

We can only hope!

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

BraveUlysses posted:

Decrease break time using this one weird trick discovered by local office manager. Employees hate him!

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

The first results are in on the BBC's website. Looks like a bit of a blowout so far.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

InitialDave posted:

Yeah. While official polls are not being taken, 3rd party/commercial polling can be used by businesses to help them decide which way to jump on the markets, and the trend you see should reflect that.

Telegraph's Poll prediction this morning

First results

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

spog posted:

First results

That's basically Gibraltar, dude. I think it's pushing it to take it as representative.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

I wish the final result was like that so Nigel Farage would go top himself.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Don't ever forget that this entire mess was started by Pigfucker McBaconface himself as a political stunt.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Sunderland voted leave. £ fell by 6% on that announcement...

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
My coworker just stormed out because he couldn't take some mis-directed criticism from our new boss. Can I just quit now and find something else to do that's not IT or cars? drat it.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

This might be better suited for the stupid questions thread but whatever. I'd like to add an temperature controlled auxiliary fan to the Courier. Plan is a junkyard fan and I guess see if I can find a switch that either goes in the coolant stream or has a sensor probe. Am I on the right track?

Truck seems to do fine but without a temp gauge I worry when I'm sitting in traffic and the only thing I have is the TEMP idiot light which might not even work.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

MrChips posted:

Don't ever forget that this entire mess was started by Pigfucker McBaconface himself as a political stunt.

And now it's led to a resurgence in nationalist politics and the cold-blooded murder of a politician.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Seat Safety Switch posted:

And now it's led to a resurgence in nationalist politics and the cold-blooded murder of a politician.

But did give us funny Poland ball comics.

http://i.imgur.com/KdLT9sl.png

• Locked thread