Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N
I love the mix of quality writing combined with occasional low-hanging fruit of a joke.

"Hmm. A hankerchief monogrammed with the letters D.L.C."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

dyzzy posted:

There's a third option I think, if the second thing doesn't count: during the contract to guide the nobleman through the woods find out what's wrong with his daughter from the guards and ask him about her when you pick up the painting

e: information is spotty, I've also seen freeing the panther during the above quest listed :shrug: fwiw I did all of these things and got it.

Wait... does this have something to do with getting Aerondight? I just talked to the guy and he gave it to me, was that because I had already done all his stuff or something?

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

Ice Fist posted:

Wait... does this have something to do with getting Aerondight? I just talked to the guy and he gave it to me, was that because I had already done all his stuff or something?

Yes, you have to display the five knightly virtues, which are linked to various decisions you can make in quests.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Eggnogium posted:

Yes, you have to display the five knightly virtues, which are linked to various decisions you can make in quests.

I just thought she would give it to you automatically. :downs:

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

ok I'm not normally into "fan art" kind of stuff but this is pretty cool:

by https://twitter.com/AstorAlexander

sorry if it's been posted before.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Are you guys doing multiple sets of Grandmaster Armor? I've done the bear one and that's been very expensive and time consuming to get together. It owns, of course, so it's worth it. I'm doing a sword/alchemy playthrough. Are any of the other really worth it once I have the bear one?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Azazell0 posted:

:psyduck:

I completely forgot about this scene from the very beginning of the drat game

(was watching the Extra Play video mentioned earlier)

Whoa. I don't remember his interaction at all, what happens? Does he show up any other points during Witcher 3? Did they have this character ready to go for the DLC story since the game first came out??

Witcher 3 constantly astounded me with how it would bring back stuff you encountered earlier. I love when movies and shows do that, and Witcher 3 did it better than most

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Macaluso posted:

Whoa. I don't remember his interaction at all, what happens? Does he show up any other points during Witcher 3? Did they have this character ready to go for the DLC story since the game first came out??

Witcher 3 constantly astounded me with how it would bring back stuff you encountered earlier. I love when movies and shows do that, and Witcher 3 did it better than most

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfYFpPpFcCQ

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Antti posted:

Whaaat? Dang, I've gotta test that. I sure could use that slot for something else.
This is old but you may try to reproduce its results
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPqKqTdkh4E&t=127s

...because I suspect this video from a recent patch did not refute the limited mechanics of Fleet Footed from the above video because that attack from the griffin isn't affected by Fleet Footed anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajYcVuTY-lQ

Personally, I'm finding that the skill points are better spent elsewhere for better damage output or more durability even if it did work as we expect because I find myself taking damage far more when I misuse Whirl or Rend than if I got caught in an attack. The funny thing is, I think the Witcher 2 version of this skill was a lot better when I played a swords oriented build, so this may be a nerf from previous games.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I got Cat, Wolf, and Manticore in my playthrough. It is, I think about half as expensive if you craft the enhanced dirimetium plates yourself.

I ended the game with the wolf set. Even though I didn't use signs very much I really wanted the extra adrenaline buildup. I would probably have liked to use Cat like I had the rest of the entire game, but as soon as I saw the hood I went off and got the other two sets. I threw the levity word rune on the chest piece of the wolf set and still got the bonuses to light attacks.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Huh I do vaguely remember this. I can't believe they foreshadowed this dude as one of the first people you interact with.

Also, Gaunter O'Dim :doh:

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Earwicker posted:

ok I'm not normally into "fan art" kind of stuff but this is pretty cool:

(Hard Boiled Geralt)

sorry if it's been posted before.

I would play the poo poo out of a witcher style noire game

Geralt pretty much already is a hard boiled detective

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

necrobobsledder posted:

This is old but you may try to reproduce its results
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPqKqTdkh4E&t=127s

Thanks for this, this video is very informative. I didn't know you could parry some monster attacks, though it's very specific on which ones. Also it's pretty funny that holding block just makes you invincible in fist fights.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

What's the mod that let's me change armor looks so I don't have a hood on my cat armor?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

On the one hand I've been so impressed with W3 I'm willing to wait to see whatever CDPR comes up with next. Over the last 10 years this company has made a customer for life; I don't really see myself ever not buying a CDPR role-playing game at full price and with the season pass unless quality starts to change markedly. B&W feels like a drat good gift considering I spent $25 on it and HoS more than a year ago.

On the other hand I'm so impressed with this expansion that I'd like CDPR to just make more expansions forever. Whatever they end up doing, they seem so talented at content creation that I hope they take a longer look at episodic content release.

Also, implement timed rap battles in every game.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Mr E posted:

What's the mod that let's me change armor looks so I don't have a hood on my cat armor?

There are some appearance mods where you can change what armor model is pulled up, but there's also one where someone just plain removed the hood entirely.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Speaking of foreshadowing, the A Night to Remember cinematic trailer that came out at release is basically a trailer for Blood and Wine right?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

East of the Oxenfurt gate in Novigrad, there's a small eternal fire church that has been repurposed as a crematory. If you go inside, there is a man in a green hood that Geralt recognizes from Loc Muinne, and you can persuade him to sell you stuff.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

So my game's decided that it is going to download a 13GB patch even though the game was already patched up fully. It's still apparently playable while it's downloading but is it safe to do so?

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures
On my second playthrough, this time going deep into the combat tree. Whirl seems pretty fun!

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Arcsquad12 posted:

East of the Oxenfurt gate in Novigrad, there's a small eternal fire church that has been repurposed as a crematory. If you go inside, there is a man in a green hood that Geralt recognizes from Loc Muinne, and you can persuade him to sell you stuff.

Does that guy still buy trophies at full price?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Frabba posted:

On my second playthrough, this time going deep into the combat tree. Whirl seems pretty fun!

Whirl is a blast. Also if you use it on the final boss fight against Eredin, he's completely defenseless against it (unless they patched that out), which means you can literally get him completely drained of health in the first part of the fight, which immediately ends the second phase as soon as it begins, and then only requires you to slightly damage him in the third phase to win. I never realized it would be so satisfying to just utterly humiliate the final boss of a game like that.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Arcsquad12 posted:

Oh that guy, yeah I thought it was someone different the way that was phrased. I remember meeting him.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Hexenritter posted:

So my game's decided that it is going to download a 13GB patch even though the game was already patched up fully. It's still apparently playable while it's downloading but is it safe to do so?

13 GB is pretty much the size of both expansions, so something happened to them I guess?

Magical Zero
Aug 21, 2008

The colour out of space.
Finally bought and finished both expansions. Man, what an amazing experience.
It's cool how the way he just disappears after the conversation could be construed as a graphical glitch or something at the time. Turns out it was completely on purpose.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

sauer kraut posted:

13 GB is pretty much the size of both expansions, so something happened to them I guess?

Very weird, though I did notice boats had some glitchy polygons last time I played, but verifying the install didn't do anything then. It must've changed its mind.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Was there something cut that explains why there are Redanian soldiers walking through the streets of Novigrad by the time of Reasons of State? The implication seems to be that Redania absorbed the city around the battle of Kaer Morhen, but it's not made explicit.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

Jack of Hearts posted:

Was there something cut that explains why there are Redanian soldiers walking through the streets of Novigrad by the time of Reasons of State? The implication seems to be that Redania absorbed the city around the battle of Kaer Morhen, but it's not made explicit.

I think it's still a free city, within Redania, but they like to hang out there? Maybe there's some deal to keep the peace using Radovids forces, but I see nothing that says it's not still independent.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

vandalism posted:

Are you guys doing multiple sets of Grandmaster Armor? I've done the bear one and that's been very expensive and time consuming to get together. It owns, of course, so it's worth it. I'm doing a sword/alchemy playthrough. Are any of the other really worth it once I have the bear one?

I didn't even make one. I picked up that set of vampire dungeon armor with the life-steal effect and saw that the grandmaster stuff was marginally better. Between the absurd cost of the stuff and a little bit of choice paralysis I just went "gently caress it" and stuck with the vampire armor.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Jack of Hearts posted:

Probably some diplomacy going on that allows radovid to walk around the city without actually owning it

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

vandalism posted:

Manticore is the "alchemy set," since it gives bonuses to toxicity, bombs, and alchemy item charges.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Moose-Alini posted:

I think it's still a free city, within Redania, but they like to hang out there? Maybe there's some deal to keep the peace using Radovids forces, but I see nothing that says it's not still independent.

I'm in Novigrad on my replay and was wondering this too, I think there was some dialogue about Redania protecting Novigrad, even though it's theoretically a free city? It has a ruling council but they're effectively puppets of the Church of the Eternal Fire. Seems like Radovid indirectly controls the city.

Slide McGriffin
Nov 16, 2009

OOOOoooOOooo
Is there somewhere static I can get some mandrake roots for the hanged mans venom? All I can find online is "fields, forest"

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Finished the main campaign again. Dijkstra rules the north, emhyr dies to assassin's, Witcher ciri, double teamed romance failure and svenrige rules skellige.

I really like this ending because it reinforces that sometimes not getting involved can result in a positive outcome or at the very least, a progressive outcome

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
Is there a decent reward for doing the horse race quests? Horse racing in this game seems to be bizarre because Roach controls like poo poo, you can barely manage stamina and it's more about just blocking the opponent off instead

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

Is there a decent reward for doing the horse race quests? Horse racing in this game seems to be bizarre because Roach controls like poo poo, you can barely manage stamina and it's more about just blocking the opponent off instead

Yeah you get stuff, mainly better horse equipment. With some of the better saddles I can sprint the whole race without running out of stam

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Only a monster wouldn't put forth blood and sweat to get their horse better gear.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Yes but it's mostly horse equipment...which is only really useful for racing.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

Roach controls like poo poo

Literally the first time I attempted a race foiled by a loving bridge

https://gfycat.com/LimitedBareFalcon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

Literally the first time I attempted a race foiled by a loving bridge

https://gfycat.com/LimitedBareFalcon

Hey Roach is skittish about the poor craftsmanship. It's 'realism'!

Just try and jump over the beginning of every bridge. And this seems way worse in B&W to me.