Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

botany posted:

That article is really long but incredibly worth reading, by the way. It's really good and everybody should click that link.

No picture of Kim Kardashian, though. It sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Deteriorata posted:

CNN is gradually descending to their level. Cable news is not a place for intellectual stimulation.

lol gradually

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Corey and Jeff Shitlord are gonna be best of friends

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Boon posted:

Have you considered the effectiveness of forcibly patrolling favelas in Brazil on tourism and how that might be applied to Muslims in America?

I want 5% of your salary

I have now! We can also use it on areas with lots of thugs! MORE POLICE PRESENCE IN BLACK NEIGHBHOODS GHETTOS!

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Blue Footed Booby posted:

This got me thinking: a lot of people don't seem to realize that assault weapon bans don't actually have anything to do with automatic weapons. They explicitly state that they apply to semi automatics. Which are legal.

For those not aware, owning a machine gun or actual assault rifle requires a special license that costs hundreds of dollars and a multi month background check. Also, the weapon must have been added to the registry before it was closed in the 80s.

It's surely a coincidence it's extremely rare for real automatics to be used in crimes.

Anyway, I wonder who, if that law hadn't been passed and were up for consideration now, would still take an absolute zero gun control stance. I don't think I've ever seen anyone push for it to be repealed, or even the registry opened again.

Semi-automatic rifles aren't commonly used in crime either, despite being really popular for everything else. Of course, banning them isn't about that.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

botany posted:

That article is really long but incredibly worth reading, by the way. It's really good and everybody should click that link.

Yea, it's Pulitzer Prize material.

highme
May 25, 2001

Dexo posted:

OH GOD HE'S PIVOTING.

Time to go full Celestial Scribe.

This is what they want. Let's not give it to them.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Relevant to current events:

You’ve Been Elected To Congress! Can You Pass Even One Goddamn Bill?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Ahahahaha for gently caress's sake

https://twitter.com/hadas_gold/status/746038893783441408

I guess this was inevitable but the news outlets really need to stop encouraging these fuckers.

How could they pass up the well of knowledge this man must have from the brilliant and nuanced Trump campaign.

CNN is just a more subdued Fox News by this point.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

highme posted:

This is what they want. Let's not give it to them.

Do you really think trump supporters need us to actually say things in order for them to attribute them to us?

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I just finished chapter one of the Mother Jones article. This is incredible.

highme
May 25, 2001

SedanChair posted:

Do you really think trump supporters need us to actually say things in order for them to attribute them to us?

I meant the pivot away from Arzy, and was using they/them because I don't know a certain poster's gender.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Geostomp posted:

How could they pass up the well of knowledge this man must have from the brilliant and nuanced Trump campaign.

CNN is just a more subdued Fox News by this point.

Don't be surprised if this well of knowledge is a little slanted:

https://twitter.com/benmathislilley/status/746059464223121408

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

CNN apparently has a very negligent risk analyst or wants to become part of the news.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Why report the news when we can make it :unsmigghh:

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Arrgytehpirate posted:

As I understand it if there are two applicants equal in all aspects you hire/accept the minority. I think this part is fine.

The part I don't think is fine is that you need a certain percent of minorities. Schools and jobs don't exist to hire under-qualified people. It's an individual's responsibility to make sure they are qualified.

I could be majorly wrong on all of it though.

Everyone's already kind of jumped on this, but I just wanted to point out that if you select only the best regardless of what other factors effect an applicant's life, you end up with a room of people with the highest scores on easy setting. Stuff like AA forces businesses and schools to expand their hiring metric a bit if the old one doesn't cut it which could lead to coming up with a better metric.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lol if you think a designated campaign surrogate on CNN was ever going to say something bad about their candidate.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Good journalism is still out there if you know where to look, but it's drowning in a sea of overpaid hacks, clickbait mills (goodbye Tribune, hello tronc!) and screaming matches between brain dead pundits on cable news.

Yo, this article is really great, thanks for sharing it.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Don't be surprised if this well of knowledge is a little slanted:

https://twitter.com/benmathislilley/status/746059464223121408

I believe you mean less than or equal to 20% of current candidates.

Jill Stein would like you to know she, Gary Johnson, and Bernie Sanders are all eligible candidates currently.

highme
May 25, 2001

This is a fun story, White Wing Militia douche gets set up by the FBI to try and blow up a BLM building in Arizona.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/william-keebler-charges-bombs-blm-utah

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/bridgetbhc/status/746073296320475137

https://twitter.com/caitlinnowens/status/746066411668254721
Guess why

zoux fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jun 23, 2016

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Rhesus Pieces posted:

https://twitter.com/jasoncherkis/status/746045010873880577

Good journalism is still out there if you know where to look, but it's drowning in a sea of overpaid hacks, clickbait mills (goodbye Tribune, hello tronc!) and screaming matches between brain dead pundits on cable news.

quote:

Don't eat the food given to inmates; don't have sex with them or you could be fined $10,000 or get 10 years at hard labor; try not to get sick because we don't get paid sick time. If we have friends or relatives incarcerated here, we need to report it. She hands out fridge magnets with the number of a hotline to use if we feel suicidal or start fighting with our families. We get three counseling sessions for free.

I feel like I'm inside a Dead Kennedys song.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

Lote posted:

I believe you mean less than or equal to 20% of current candidates.

Jill Stein would like you to know she, Gary Johnson, and Bernie Sanders are all eligible candidates currently.

Jill Stein wants to be relevant no matter what, consequences be damned. Bernie is not eligible anymore barring delegate shenanigans that would go against everything he stood for in the Primary. It's over buddy.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

mlmp08 posted:

I don't think you understand what it means to be charged with a crime.

I meant convicted. :shobon:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/BenjySarlin/status/746080905761034240

https://twitter.com/BenjySarlin/status/746082115368947714

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

highme posted:

This is a fun story, White Wing Militia douche gets set up by the FBI to try and blow up a BLM building in Arizona.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/william-keebler-charges-bombs-blm-utah

While I'm glad the FBI is equal opportunity when it comes to terrorist honeypots it still shouldn't happen.

I would re-evaluate my opinion if they film the guy trying to detonate the fake bomb and a little flag pops out that says "busted".

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Love it.

The amazing thing about this is that quote actually sticks out in people's memories. Even if they don't remember it directly it's something most people would probably agree that they've heard simply because it's so obviously Trumpian.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Internet Webguy posted:

While I'm glad the FBI is equal opportunity when it comes to terrorist honeypots it still shouldn't happen.

I would re-evaluate my opinion if they film the guy trying to detonate the fake bomb and a little flag pops out that says "busted".

My impression has always been that its illegal/unethical for the cops to go "Hey, why don't you blow up a building?" but if someone says to you "I want to blow up a building" you can totally direct him towards a safer decoy, give him fake explosives, and wait until he actually tries to do the deed so that he's just absolutely screwed in court.

Like, I'm against the ideal of setting someone up but at the same time if you were planning to blow up a building I'm not exactly going to cry for you if an undercover fed didn't discourage you. Its not exactly an impulsive crime or something.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Does anyone else get the feeling Trump is going to drop out somehow to promote some sort of TrumpTV, and then the GOP will just throw Ryan onto the nomination at the convention?

highme
May 25, 2001

Internet Webguy posted:

I think this was different than the usual honeypots where they go after kids on the internet.

It looks like they had undercover assets in place and this guy sought out people with explosives expertise.

https://twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/746038972565102592

As an aside, I was one of the last 2 jurors released before deliberations began in the Mohamed Mohamud (Portland Christmas Tree bomb plot) case a couple of years back. My statement that I thought it was an FBI honeypot may have had something to do with that.

highme fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jun 23, 2016

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

STAC Goat posted:

My impression has always been that its illegal/unethical for the cops to go "Hey, why don't you blow up a building?" but if someone says to you "I want to blow up a building" you can totally direct him towards a safer decoy, give him fake explosives, and wait until he actually tries to do the deed so that he's just absolutely screwed in court.

Like, I'm against the ideal of setting someone up but at the same time if you were planning to blow up a building I'm not exactly going to cry for you if an undercover fed didn't discourage you. Its not exactly an impulsive crime or something.

Really depends on how much they try to push someone into it. I could see an overzealous FBI team taking someone who is on the fringes and exposing them to enough propaganda that it pushes them over the edge. Granted if someone is already a member of this group they are likely already radicalized but you never know.

That is really my biggest issue with it, at least.

highme
May 25, 2001

Internet Webguy posted:

Granted if someone is already a member of this group they are likely already radicalized but you never know.

This guy was the leader of the group and scouted the cabins he attempted to bomb with Lavoy "Tarp Man" Finnicum. He was no angel.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Internet Webguy posted:

Really depends on how much they try to push someone into it. I could see an overzealous FBI team taking someone who is on the fringes and exposing them to enough propaganda that it pushes them over the edge. Granted if someone is already a member of this group they are likely already radicalized but you never know.

It's not like we have much of an alternative system. If what you say is possible, and I don't believe that FBI does this, but... maybe. Even granted that, that were the case, the hypothetical person in question would be dangerous to even be left to come to the conclusion on their own.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

jeeves posted:

Does anyone else get the feeling Trump is going to drop out somehow to promote some sort of TrumpTV, and then the GOP will just throw Ryan onto the nomination at the convention?

Mitt_in_glass_box_thats_the_plan.jpg

I have to imagine there's a thought festering in the back of his mind about dropping out. I think he's weighing the options. If he can convince himself he'll get just as much attention by being the first ever presumptive candidate to drop out of the race (this is where someone corrects me with some candidate from 1890 or whatever), he just might do it.

Plus, if he drops out, he can't be a loser. I think losing the election is something his ego can't handle, but he could spin dropping out as "Crooked Hillary has rigged this election" or "The GOP weren't supporting me enough" or something like that to save face.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

jeeves posted:

I have made a few posts about it and a few articles have been written about it.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

highme posted:

This guy was the leader of the group and scouted the cabins he attempted to bomb with Lavoy "Tarp Man" Finnicum. He was no angel.

I agree that this case looks fairly cut and dried but when they start infiltrating religious groups and things like that with the goal of setting someone up things get very sticky. At least they were focusing on the kind of terrorism that is most dangerous to the US.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Internet Webguy posted:

Sure, if the cops radicalize someone and push them to violence I'd be upset. But this doesn't sound like that. This guy had his own militia and was tied in with this whole web of violent anti-government people. It sounds like they just had undercover agents in the web and when this guy went looking for bombs they made sure their guy was the one who provided them. Which sounds like a really, really lucky thing all things considered (or, just good police work).

Hey, I'm as weary of law enforcement abusing power or being overzealous and crossing likes as the next guy. But that means we stay vigilant and should demand transparency and evaluation. It doesn't mean every arrest is bad.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Noam Chomsky posted:

I have made a few posts about it and a few articles have been written about it.

You toxxed on it mate.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

zoux posted:

You toxxed on it mate.

I did!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

WampaLord posted:

Yo, this article is really great, thanks for sharing it.

Same.

• Locked thread