Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Deified Data posted:

As VC at what point should you throw caution to the wind and just embrace being at war with all of your neighbors?

Very hard, I prefer never, hard and below whenever you feel, especially if you go zombie heavy and can get a trillion dead bodies everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

In my most recent dwarf campaign, the Skaeling declared war on the Varg. It was a beautiful moment.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Deified Data posted:

As VC at what point should you throw caution to the wind and just embrace being at war with all of your neighbors?

I never do, really. VC are really good at subtly taking over areas without starting wars, or overwhelming a single opponent with superior numbers, but too many fronts leaves you vulnerable. Their units are mostly crap so you can't garrison/defend borders as effectively as the other races, in my opinion. You'd need multiple powerful generals to do it, and that takes a lot of time.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
This game should have a cleanup-option for when you're obviously winning the campaign by a large margin and you're 100 turns in or so.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Ilustforponydeath posted:

This game should have a cleanup-option for when you're obviously winning the campaign by a large margin and you're 100 turns in or so.

It does! To access it, you press Esc and click on "Exit to main menu" then just play a different campaign, quest battle or custom battle! Alternatively, you can click "Exit to windows" and do something else. It lets you bypass the entire cleanup process if you don't find it interesting or fun

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Kaza42 posted:

It does! To access it, you press Esc and click on "Exit to main menu" then just play a different campaign, quest battle or custom battle! Alternatively, you can click "Exit to windows" and do something else. It lets you bypass the entire cleanup process if you don't find it interesting or fun

But my achievement!

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?
Hey Chomp, you were thinking of rangling up a tourney for this weren't you? Still interested in running something like that?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Fourth Orc campaign complete.

Gonna try Dwarves next. Is the Grudge thing a huge issue on Normal difficulty?

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Dandywalken posted:

It can break regardless of difficulty, it's mostly down to luck whether you get hosed or not.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Dandywalken posted:

Instead of being a dynamic, fluid system it's a perpetual public order and dwarf relations malus until you wipe out the Orc tribes and a bonus forever thereafter - your gauge should be full for the first half of the campaign and virtually empty for the second half, barring random bullshit ones like leveling an engineer. The only way to keep an empty gauge through the whole game is to basically ignore your goals and focus solely on settling grudges (i.e. playing keep away with enemy stacks that raid you for a turn and then run like the wind when you give chase).

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
Next VC campaign challenge: Kemmler, no vampire lords or vampire units. Should make for a fun game!

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Is it even possible to lose a siege defence as dwarfs in a settlement that has walls

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

terrorist ambulance posted:

Is it even possible to lose a siege defence as dwarfs in a settlement that has walls

Working as intended :colbert:

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
If you're the AI, yeah.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Decus posted:

If you're the AI, yeah.

If you've lost a Siege defence as dorfs where you weren't outrageously outnumbered by quality ranked up dudes you need to share your beard and hurl yourself at the nearest troll.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Ilustforponydeath posted:

But my achievement!

Use SAM if it matters.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Yukitsu posted:

Hey Chomp, you were thinking of rangling up a tourney for this weren't you? Still interested in running something like that?

You know when I get home I'll throw up a link to the group and see how many people are interested. If we have the bodies then sure.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

terrorist ambulance posted:

No, because you never do siege defense battles in this game.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Vargs posted:

No, because you never do siege defense battles in this game.

I have fought off multiple orc and Bjornling wall assaults. It is fun and good.

Closest call I had was when I sent a unit of miners "sallying" out of the gate to try and slow down some trolls. They routed, which opened the gate for said trolls :downs:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Deified Data posted:

Instead of being a dynamic, fluid system it's a perpetual public order and dwarf relations malus until you wipe out the Orc tribes and a bonus forever thereafter - your gauge should be full for the first half of the campaign and virtually empty for the second half, barring random bullshit ones like leveling an engineer. The only way to keep an empty gauge through the whole game is to basically ignore your goals and focus solely on settling grudges (i.e. playing keep away with enemy stacks that raid you for a turn and then run like the wind when you give chase).
Honestly the payback should be a bit more general and forgiving. If they really wanted it streamlined and dynamic then have it work like this:

-Military allies can be used to settle grudges, which lowers the meter but not nearly as much as taking care of the grudge yourself.

-Allied dwarves also ask help to settle grudges, if successful it lowers your meter and gives public relations boosts.

-Getting raided or sacked only requires you raid or sack for the same gold amount , you don't have to chase the bastard down.

-Getting assassinated gives you a global increase to having enemy agents critically fail to assassinate, in which case the grudge gets settled.

-The strategic map will highlight enemy heroes and lords that have grudges against them. Battles involving enemy lords or heroes give your own lords and heroes scaling Ld and damage bonuses based on how long the grudge was going on.

-Scaling exp bonuses for resolving a grudge through assassinations , battle victories or settlement capture.

Now it's easier to settle grudges, keep the meter down, and there's little bonuses for having a vendetta against a particular Lord.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Rygar201 posted:

I have fought off multiple orc and Bjornling wall assaults. It is fun and good.

Closest call I had was when I sent a unit of miners "sallying" out of the gate to try and slow down some trolls. They routed, which opened the gate for said trolls :downs:

The Trolls then were awestruck at the size of the city, failed a leadership check, and fled for the rest of the game I assume.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Dandywalken posted:

The Trolls then were awestruck at the size of the city, failed a leadership check, and fled for the rest of the game I assume.

Sounds about right.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Dandywalken posted:

The Trolls then were awestruck at the size of the city, failed a leadership check, and fled for the rest of the game I assume fled to the city plaza, reformed, claimed the plaza, and cost you the battle.

A more likely occurrence.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I only realised relatively recently that you can't actually build any of the fortress upgrades in Karaz a Karak because then you would have too many units.

I don't think I am going to be able to play on Very Hard or better, even with Dwarves it is super hard to do well I find.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Dandywalken posted:

It depends on your luck and how you expand. On my very hard game I found that orcs had an insane obsession with the two settlements of Barrak Varr, especially Valaya's Sorrow, I discovered that if I left it undefended they would always beeline for it, so they come in and occuppied every time. It generated a grudge, so I had an army just in range of it and recaptured every time, settling the grudge (and gaining cash). Also it let me destroy in one battle (because there's no retreat when defending a settlement) armies that I instead would have to chase around.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Josef bugman posted:

I only realised relatively recently that you can't actually build any of the fortress upgrades in Karaz a Karak because then you would have too many units.

I don't think I am going to be able to play on Very Hard or better, even with Dwarves it is super hard to do well I find.

Every starting capital is like that. They basically have the fortress upgrade added in.

e: And even though the game lists the dwarfs starting position as easy I don't necessarily think they are the easiest faction to play.

Damn Dirty Ape fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jun 24, 2016

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Chomp8645 posted:

You know when I get home I'll throw up a link to the group and see how many people are interested. If we have the bodies then sure.

What is the steam group again? I would definitely be interested.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

drat Dirty Ape posted:

e: And even though the game lists the dwarfs starting position as easy I don't necessarily think they are the easiest faction to play.

They're face roll easy, ime. I've lost the occasional settlement, even had Mount Squighorn sacked once, but I've never lost forward momentum and I've been rolling in gold since like turn 20.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Every starting capital is like that. They basically have the fortress upgrade added in.

On easier difficulties Dwarves have a great start, Orcs are 90% of your early game enemies and your infantry and artillery are head and shoulders above theirs

Dwarf Warriors can hold the line indefinitely and without and of the leadership penalties of higher difficulties will fight to the last man before routing and when their enemy routs first the shorties can poke them full of holes

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Dorfs biggest problem on lower difficulties is their lack of a pursuit phase. As Empire most of my kills in any given battle are of fleeing people, as Dwarfs they just get away.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Chomp8645 posted:

If it's the "Goons Total War" Steam group that was active in Shogun 2, I'd be down too, even if it's for random fun matches. I am digging the MP of this game, assassination BS or not.

Yukitsu posted:

That's about what half the people I play against do. I'm curious if you guys are getting a lot of games against this sort of thing as well or if I'm just getting terrible luck.
I'd say maybe half my opponents have done, or tried to do, that as well. But most times they have an actual, you know, army to do the cleanup instead of trying to play coy Spirit Leech games. I usually take a counter-assassin myself, but don't use it if I don't need it!

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Dwarf start can be tough if you get unlucky and have to deal with Grimgor and a Waaagh right away.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

rockopete posted:

What is the steam group again? I would definitely be interested.

Olive Branch posted:

If it's the "Goons Total War" Steam group that was active in Shogun 2, I'd be down too, even if it's for random fun matches. I am digging the MP of this game, assassination BS or not.

:siren: TOURNAMENT SIGNUP INFO :siren:

Group here:

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/goonfights

It's different from the Goons Total War mainly because this was easy for me back when I first created it for Rome 2. It's public so there are no link posting shenanigans in the thread, you can just go join. It's a multiplayer focused group so if you care about multiplayer this is a good group to supplement the main. If you don't care about multiplayer it has no value to you whatsoever. The only announcements you'll get from it are basically "matches are happening on the stream right now". Occasionally a few us play different games but not very often.

Anyone who is interested in participating in a tournament go to the group and post in the discussion thread (it's the first thread and I really doubt any of the others are going to move). If we get a decent interest showing I'll start drumming up the basic rules and regs. You also may be able to find people in the group to play multiplayer with either way because the implicit purpose of the group is just the multiplayer aspect of Total War. I'm thinking we give each pairing either one week or three days (whichever people feel is reasonable) to contact each other and play their matches (best of 3?) If anyone wants to have their matches live I'll do em on stream for our viewing enjoyment.

You can also find a link there to my incredibly low production-value videos of previously streamed goon multiplayer matches of Rome 2 and Shogun 2 on youtube.

Signup thread here (in group)
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/goonfights/discussions/0/358415738186952298/

Frankly
Jan 7, 2013
Somehow confederated with Marienburg at turn 50, inherited a level II temple to Sigmar, full barracks, level II unique port and two level III trade resources. Now I have a newly recruited Franz, 2 Warrior Priests, an extra Captain and Witch Hunter sitting on the border with Brettonia with a half stack of confederated state troops. Time for a crusade in beautiful Brettonia (and totally secure my western borders) :getin:

This game is still a lot of fun, with some tweaks to magic, autoresolve and AI recruitment (norsca :argh:) I think this will be one of my favorite TW's

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Chomp8645 posted:

:You can also find a link there to my incredibly low production-value videos of previously streamed goon multiplayer matches of Rome 2 and Shogun 2 on youtube.

You know, I played about 40 of those matches and I think you've only posted up my losses. :derp:

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
loving lol at Chaos not being initially at war with me as VC. Quick, how can I abuse this.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Deified Data posted:

loving lol at Chaos not being initially at war with me as VC. Quick, how can I abuse this.

Go wipe out the empire with the help of Chaos!

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Tardcore posted:

Go wipe out the empire with the help of Chaos!

This will never go poorly!

The Lone Badger posted:

Dorfs biggest problem on lower difficulties is their lack of a pursuit phase. As Empire most of my kills in any given battle are of fleeing people, as Dwarfs they just get away.

Absolutely. It is an arse and a half trying to deal with Orcs, especially raiders, who can just run off and keep running forever.

The second thing is a complete lack of assassin heroes. All of the heroes are rubbish at getting rid of enemies. Personally I would let people have a slayer lord character who works like a banshee.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I can't believe Greenskins don't get a melee combat hero, like the Captain/Thane/Wight King/Generic Chaos Dude. I just want a big, 'ard lad with a choppa, good for climbing stuntie walls and bashin heads. Is that so much to ask? The goblin is super trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

The Lone Badger posted:

The entire game has a pursuit phase problem. Cavalry et al does as bad a job at pursuit as they did in Rome. I just quit when end battle appears. gently caress watching horsemen bounce between infantry fleeing for 5 minutes for 3 extra kills.

Also kind of cracks me up CA hasn't fixed the unique feature of the previously-selected unit type calling out its name when you select a new unit. Been doing that since Rome 2 initial release I believe?

• Locked thread