Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zelmel
Sep 17, 2004

O brain new world, that has such ganglia in't!
Wow, I just reinstalled thinking that I'd look around and maybe pick up the additional calling they release last year, but looking at this thread (and the prices for stuff on the cash shop) I think I'm going to uninstall and just go back to a game with a better F2P implementation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
hey gang, do we still have a Guild? If so, could one of you shoot me an invite (Ciam)? I need to unload a bunch of poo poo in the bank

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!

Zelmel posted:

Wow, I just reinstalled thinking that I'd look around and maybe pick up the additional calling they release last year, but looking at this thread (and the prices for stuff on the cash shop) I think I'm going to uninstall and just go back to a game with a better F2P implementation.

I did the same thing. Reinstalled, poked around, thought I'd try Primalist, saw it was like $20 or $30 to get the new stuff, uninstalled.

Zelmel
Sep 17, 2004

O brain new world, that has such ganglia in't!

bear is driving! posted:

I did the same thing. Reinstalled, poked around, thought I'd try Primalist, saw it was like $20 or $30 to get the new stuff, uninstalled.

Yeah, if it'd been like $10 or less I probably would have gone back for a while, but the prices are way too high.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Played this ages ago and it always ran like rear end for me. I popped by the steam page on a whim and saw 'real multicore support' -- does this in anyway fix the terrible CPU-bound performance?

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

Khablam posted:

Played this ages ago and it always ran like rear end for me. I popped by the steam page on a whim and saw 'real multicore support' -- does this in anyway fix the terrible CPU-bound performance?

I dont see much of a diffrence. Some players report alot of crashing when the enable multicore support is checked.
My fps still drops to 30-35 in some instant adventures.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Khablam posted:

No the engine is still a pile of trash in this respect.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I should have read to see if Goons were still active on this game before spending some graduation money on the Ultimate pack and installing the game :saddowns:

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
are there actually people who still play this game

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Zoness posted:

are there actually people who still play this game

people playing dress up and archaeologist maybe.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I do think that rift still has a better dressup system than wow does.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
I miss Rift for 3 reasons:

3) The Rift invasions were pretty cool.
2) Cleric was so massively overpowered it still brings a smile to my face
1) The dress up was pretty dang good

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
for most of the things i miss about DPS cleric, shamans fit the bill pretty well

lightning bolt / lava burst -> earthshock / fulminate is basically Bolts in inquisitor
enhancement shamans are not a lot like shamans in rift but at least they capture the feel of hitting people with magical hammers

and you get to do less dps than everyone else until the devs finally hotfix your numbers like 4 times :toot:

Antaris
Feb 18, 2011

For how badly they screwed up the game, I still will never forget late vanilla Cabicar healers and early expansion Bioelectric Transfer. Those were some great memories.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

I miss the old crew :smith: I think most moved on to FFXIV?

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope
I've hopped games for a while. Played Age of Wushu (rad, game is dead rip), Black Desert Online (rad, burned out at the moment), and I'm back on Star Wars: TOR/Overwatch at the moment. I miss being a HK-geared tank speedrunning dungeons in 3min.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Eltoasto posted:

Yeah, probably my favorite time dungeoning. Is FFXIV actually good now?

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

Tairon posted:

For how badly they screwed up the game, I still will never forget late vanilla Cabicar healers and early expansion Bioelectric Transfer. Those were some great memories.

God yes. Justicar healing was the most broken thing I've ever experienced and I loving loved it. I still remember some underground worm boss where we having trouble downing it for the first time until we just stuck everyone on DPS and I solo healed the encounter.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
RIFT could probably suck me in for a bit just by removing the cost for the new classes. I love RIFT's mechanics but the grind got so bad.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Kris xK posted:

God yes. Justicar healing was the most broken thing I've ever experienced and I loving loved it. I still remember some underground worm boss where we having trouble downing it for the first time until we just stuck everyone on DPS and I solo healed the encounter.

Grugonim?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
no probably the caduceus rise version cuz solo healing grugonim :eyepop:

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
I remember raiding with goonfolk and looking up to papa tsu, the big dick rogue with all the expensive bullshit that I never could be arsed to grind. Or was that zones? Anyways I got set of Relic weapons so I think I beat rift

Any stragglers should come to FFXIV. Drunk Weeping City runs where everyone throws their hands in the air and shouts WHEEE whenever mechanics happen are good

Farg fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jun 23, 2016

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Farg posted:

I remember raiding with goonfolk and looking up to papa tsu, the big dick rogue with all the expensive bullshit that I never could be arsed to grind. Or was that zones? Anyways I got set of Relic weapons so I think I beat rift

Any stragglers should come to FFXIV. Drunk Weeping City runs where everyone throws their hands in the air and shouts WHEEE whenever mechanics happen are good

I went drinking with tsu when he came up to new york and this is actually exactly what he is like irl.

(WoW is pretty good too but I don't raid with goons :v:)

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Farg posted:

I've tried FFXIV a few times, but the aesthetic is kind of off-putting for some reason I can't really articulate. I guess its the character designs? The elves and onion-hobbits are especially disturbing.

Also the UI is... Busy? for lack of a better term.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Annath posted:

I've tried FFXIV a few times, but the aesthetic is kind of off-putting for some reason I can't really articulate. I guess its the character designs? The elves and onion-hobbits are especially disturbing.

Um that is where you are wrong because the best races are in fact Elezen and Lalafell, respectively.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Annath posted:

Also the UI is... Busy? for lack of a better term.

Lalafells are the way and the light. It helps they are not comedic relief characters, there are multiple lalafell villains that are quite menacing

Also yeah by default it's a bit spaced out? I turn some of the dumb stuff like the inventory grid and Gil counter off and squish the hot bars together and it looks much better

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
final fantasy gigantic elf ladies own dwi

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
Also the GCD: the thing is that the initial 1-40ish leveling is literally a tutorial for people who have never played an mmo. The GCD doesn't change but classes, especially monk or ninja and the like, have like 11 separate off GCD skills that you are constantly using so it feels much faster in a very satisfying way.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
i was told that dragoons have like ogcd cc abilities that also do damage and this bothers me, as someone who would probably be a dragoon player now if I kept playing

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Zoness posted:

i was told that dragoons have like ogcd cc abilities that also do damage and this bothers me, as someone who would probably be a dragoon player now if I kept playing

They can shoot a giant laser made of dragon with a lance, However

Antaris
Feb 18, 2011

That's probably one of the game's biggest failings to be fair. While the whole extended tutorial is nice for new players, if you ever played an MMO before, everything before top level feels terrible. Monks for example are super fun and feel fast paced despite the GCD, with a bunch of oGCD abilities and all. But before top level they are just miserable.

And yeah I think a bunch of us moved to FFXIV for a while, Hedo and Havelock were around before the expansion but vanished somewhere since then.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
I'd agree with that. Thankfully they keep on buffing the main quest exp and have quests that give +30% exp rings and poo poo so you can just mainline the story and hit heavensward

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

Machai posted:

Grugonim?

That was the boss I was thinking of but after watching a guide on it and Zoness reaction I'm probably misremembering it. I did do a lot of healing while drunk so that'll happen.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Farg posted:

I'd agree with that. Thankfully they keep on buffing the main quest exp and have quests that give +30% exp rings and poo poo so you can just mainline the story and hit heavensward

oh really? dang...I may check it out again then. Tried it a couple times but never got sucked in.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
The ring comes from the newbie training camp thing that teaches you how to operate in a party of other players. You get some nifty armor also. Also if you do a recruit a friend you get more bonus poo poo, and if you are leveling a class lower leveled then your highest class you get 100% bonus exp on everything.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Eltoasto posted:

I went back to WoW (CogDis on Sargeras, come play), and am working on my 7th 100 before legion. Miss that first 1.5 years or so of Rift when it was new and exciting and fun.

Double Bass
Feb 20, 2011
I heard there was an expansion coming out towards the end of the year for this game, but haven't actually been able to find anything except rumors so :shrug:

I've been playing this on and off since it came out basically, but I've never had a level capped character or done any end game content. It's really disappointing to see the direction they took for their monetization scheme, having to pay for gear slots (and basically everything else under the sun) is pretty lame. Loved the soul system though, and the zone events. Hope a new xpac gives them a chance to make the store more reasonable.

Senator Sprinkles
Aug 16, 2008

The last 30 posts in the Rift thread have been about a different, seemingly better MMO.

...I feel bad for pressuring my boyfriend into getting this game. He bought SL, played about 1.5hrs of it, and already downloaded WoW instead. :saddowns:

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

We still talk about the RIFT class system in my WoW guild. Everytime I think about playing again I realise I wouldnt have anyone to play with :( drat shame, the game was really good at one point. The new expac seems kinda light on content,sadly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
I keep missing Rift, even though I quit when they introduced the earrings stuff. Was wondering if it was time for a reinstall, but after reading the last pages, and remembering that my EU guild died when FFXIV was released, I think I'll keep playing WoW and Marble Hebrons.

• Locked thread