Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Leperflesh posted:

So I'm satisfied with the answers. But like, the thing with the hexes being green or red, the throwaway comments about how if he'd had ACEs they'd be able to "block" the last two mechs from leaving, those were seriously confusing because I had thought any enemy mechs in the exit hexes would prevent the Demon Hawks there from leaving at the moment the players' move orders are executed, and not just ACEs who moved there. The delineation between ACEs and non-ACEs occupying exit hexes at that moment is gamey and non-intuitive, even if it makes sense from a scenario design perspective. :shrug:

:psyduck:

I think you're still just not getting it, because those comments aren't throw aways at all.

The exit worked as explained- Player mechs that enter the extraction when it's blue will be able to extract.
Any enemy unit entering the extraction zone will block extraction for the coming turn.

It doesn't matter if it's an ace or not, that's only coming up because the players clumped up to protect every square of the extraction zone for two consecutive turns, completely locking out PTN's units from entering (Other than Infantry) due to stacking rules.

So for the coming turn (16) the enemy has already moved, while the players will have all 6 mechs in the zone extract, and the Screamer + Grasshopper jump in.

Then for a theoretical turn 17, PTN's units could enter the zone. The Screamer and Grasshopper still escape, because it was blue when they entered, but any other friendlies would be unable to extract.

El Spamo posted:

I'd also like to comment on how beautifully cinematic the scenario has turned out and how precisely balanced PTN made everything in order to achieve that. Many of the scenarios have the players suffering some pretty serious casualties to machine and man, which is perfectly in line with how the rules work. Mechs get disabled and wrecked, that's how you win (or lose).

Here though, in a daring raid behind enemy lines where capture is not an option things are a little different. The rules that tend to leave shattered wreckage strewn about the battlefield to be swept up later is at odds with the narrative of "Leave no pilot behind!" because the common occurrence of a wreck is now a BIG DEAL. Losing a specific pilot is not just a matter of stuffing another warm body in a cockpit but a serious turn in the plot. And PTN set up the scenario perfectly to allow for exciting things to happen, damage to be dealt and sustained, and real actual risk that caused major shifts in how we the players looked at the next few actions. Things got sweaty when the exit was packed with GoodDogs at the same time as some heavy firepower entered the field. Things got REALLY nervous when the ignored infantry made a bid to block the exit so that even more hostiles could grind us down into hamburger.

But we were also given the space to effect a rescue of a downed pilot, clear our path, make a fighting retreat and feel like goddamn HEROES. The dice could have punished us, but I think PTN had that in mind that even if things went a bit sour we still had the space to control our destinies. We might have been overpowered, but we were never powerless. I can't wait to read the post-operation write-up.

Also this +1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

El Spamo posted:

[Awesome recap]
I totally agree with El Spamo. This has been an amazing and suspenseful mission and I'm excited to see what comes next.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
One of my favourite things in Battletech is when a massively upgunned assault just goes Godzilla on the entire OpFor, mowing down lances or stars like a combine harvester threshing a field. This is why the Atlas is my favourite spheroid mech, and the Dire Wolf for clantech. Dadlas' rampage was a beautiful example of this.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The Kodiak is the Clan Dadlas equivalent. :colbear: :colbert:

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
An Atlas IIC appeared in the Ultimatum mission. You know what this means?

Next mission. Atlasbowl. Heavy Gauss Rifle vs HAG40. Heaven or Hell.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Scintilla posted:

Both mechs will be knocked over by their first shots and knock the pilots unconscious simultaneously.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Ice Fist posted:

Both mechs will be knocked over by their first shots and knock the pilots unconscious simultaneously.

A Gauss powered cross-counter? I can get behind that.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Scintilla posted:

A Gauss powered cross-counter? I can get behind that.

Oh, I mean, that would be cool, I was just thinking that the recoil of them firing would make just make them fall over in a hilarious anti-climax

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Atlases may not always be the best mechs, but they are always the greatest.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

It would be amazing if Ath just died from a rage-induced aneurysm after being denied gudfites yet again.

That or a piece of boomdog shrapnel lodging itself in his cockpit.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Bloody Pom posted:

It would be amazing if Ath just died from a rage-induced aneurysm after being denied gudfites yet again.

Nah, not yet. He's not nearly angry enough yet - we can surely infuriate him further in later missions.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Gwaihir posted:

:psyduck:

I think you're still just not getting it, because those comments aren't throw aways at all.

The exit worked as explained- Player mechs that enter the extraction when it's blue will be able to extract.
Any enemy unit entering the extraction zone will block extraction for the coming turn.

It doesn't matter if it's an ace or not, that's only coming up because the players clumped up to protect every square of the extraction zone for two consecutive turns, completely locking out PTN's units from entering (Other than Infantry) due to stacking rules.

So for the coming turn (16) the enemy has already moved, while the players will have all 6 mechs in the zone extract, and the Screamer + Grasshopper jump in.

Then for a theoretical turn 17, PTN's units could enter the zone. The Screamer and Grasshopper still escape, because it was blue when they entered, but any other friendlies would be unable to extract.

To fully elaborate: where ACE messes with this (if there were any units capable of it) is that they'll move before the Screamer and Grasshopper do, which would contest the extraction zone. Thus:

Turn 15 Part 2: Non-Ace enemy units move, Players currently in the extraction zone GTFO.
Turn 16 Part 1: ACE enemy units move, Players move, Shooting and Dice Rolls happen, PTN previews Non-ACE enemy movement (and shows where ACE units moved)

There are no ACE units capable of making it to the extraction zone, so they can't contest/block it. It's all about who gets there first.

Also seeing as I've been watching this thread forever, I might as well sign up for a chance at stompy robots. I do have PM's.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
I would also like to sign up, and I also have PMs

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Scintilla posted:

No no no no. I mean, I posted the quad 2xHGR mech earlier (the Double Deuce), but you can build a biped for maximum fun that I like to call "The ol' One Two" that carries a heavy gauss rifle and a HAG-40. It has space for a few other things, but is generally a very bad mech. But getting to shoot something with the HGR and follow it up with the HAG is really fun.

Next mission should have one of these mechs, and it can go toe to toe with the Double Deuce.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Olothreutes posted:

No no no no. I mean, I posted the quad 2xHGR mech earlier (the Double Deuce), but you can build a biped for maximum fun that I like to call "The ol' One Two" that carries a heavy gauss rifle and a HAG-40. It has space for a few other things, but is generally a very bad mech. But getting to shoot something with the HGR and follow it up with the HAG is really fun.

If you build a biped you're making a Fafnir variant. You have room for a few lasers, maybe a bit more fun stuff if you clan up the endo and armor. The trouble with trying to make a Fafnir IIC is that HAGs run rather hot, limiting your potential backup weapons.

If you were to go with salvaged IS Heavy Gauss on such a beasty you can easily cram 4 medium pulse lasers and an extra heatsink on for some nasty close range punch that doesn't give a gently caress about heat. Or an ER Medium in place of the heatsink for that little bit of extra push when you're willing to cook to finish something.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jun 23, 2016

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Pattonesque posted:

I would also like to sign up, and I also have PMs

You're already on the list twice. :colbert:

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I was just rereading the fluff earlier, and just realized something now:

PoptartsNinja posted:

“I’ll have everyone’s attention,” Duncan called, and was gratified when the room quickly fell silent. The Demon Hawks, even those who were still recovering from their injuries, were in good spirits. They were third on the Mercenary leaderboards, behind the Crimson Reapers and the 17th Recon—both of whom had brought an entire regiment and neither of whom had earned their successes at so light a cost. “It seems we’ve earned the Republic’s confidence, so I guess it’s true what they say: no good deed goes unpunished.”

The Space Mexicans are on Andurien!? poo poo, we need a joint Hawks-Caballeros mission for maximum :black101: :ese: :black101:

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

anakha posted:

I was just rereading the fluff earlier, and just realized something now:

The Space Mexicans are on Andurien!? poo poo, we need a joint Hawks-Caballeros mission for maximum :black101: :ese: :black101:

I remember that I noticed that when I read the fluff, but apparently I forgot to comment on it. Seconding the teamup, it would be amazing to see a callback to the second mission, especially since the player list is rolling around again and it would be quite the amusing coincidence if the Goons who played that mission played in one that involved Camacho's Caballeros again.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
Surprising, considering:

PoptartsNinja posted:

17th Recon Regiment
The 17th Recon Regiment has taken a contract with the Free Worlds League. They’ve seen several front-line actions against the Capellan Confederation

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

EponymousMrYar posted:

To fully elaborate: where ACE messes with this (if there were any units capable of it) is that they'll move before the Screamer and Grasshopper do, which would contest the extraction zone. Thus:

Turn 15 Part 2: Non-Ace enemy units move, Players currently in the extraction zone GTFO.
Turn 16 Part 1: ACE enemy units move, Players move, Shooting and Dice Rolls happen, PTN previews Non-ACE enemy movement (and shows where ACE units moved)

There are no ACE units capable of making it to the extraction zone, so they can't contest/block it. It's all about who gets there first.

Also seeing as I've been watching this thread forever, I might as well sign up for a chance at stompy robots. I do have PM's.

No, see, this just shows that it's still confusing, because that's not how it works. The advantage of being an ACE is that you move after your opponent. So you can run up and kick him, for example.
It's actually:
Turn 16 part 1 (at the end of a PTN update): Enemy non-ace mechs move.
Turn 16 part 2 (at the beginning of the following update): Player mechs move. Player mechs already in the zone GTFO, player mechs not alreayd in the zone who want to leave move into the zone.
Turn 16 part 3 (just after the map PTN posts showing player movement): Enemy ACE units move. They... move into the green extraction zone, turning it red? Retroactively?

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
Let's stop arguing about it, or discussing it, or examining it, or hold forth upon it, and focus on PTN's biggest and most confusing mistake: Not putting MVP veterans like me into a mission.

PTN hates veterans.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I'll post in half an hour or so, jumping to 2733 and shooting the python (I think, that's the one to the SE?)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

TildeATH posted:

Let's stop arguing about it, or discussing it, or examining it, or hold forth upon it, and focus on PTN's biggest and most confusing mistake: Not putting MVP veterans like me into a mission.

PTN hates veterans.

Yeah that's probably for the best.

I sometimes worry that whoever gets the best mech or just gets lucky with dice winds up with the MVP. This time despite Dadlas being obviously the most killingest guy on the field, I'm not sure. If I had more time I'd go back and re-read all the updates with attention for who made the best, like, tactical moves, or especially someone who made best use of a less impressive battlemech.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Great Beer posted:

You're already on the list twice. :colbert:

oh dang, I thought my post was never seen. my bad y'all

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

I sometimes worry that whoever gets the best mech or just gets lucky with dice winds up with the MVP. This time despite Dadlas being obviously the most killingest guy on the field, I'm not sure. If I had more time I'd go back and re-read all the updates with attention for who made the best, like, tactical moves, or especially someone who made best use of a less impressive battlemech.

I was hoping that I'd get MVP in my run, I think I might have had a shot at it too, after killing the Rommel and one of the other players, but then Ferrosol DFA'd me and every MVP hope I had was gone. It isn't always about tight play, sometimes it's entirely about being the most awesome player.

I mean seriously, how can you beat a DFA? Especially in PVP, because we both had to try and move to the same hex. AND we tied on initiative rolls TWICE that turn. It was fated.

Ferrosol :argh:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Leperflesh posted:

A Po won MVP. :colbert:

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

PoptartsNinja posted:

That elbow drop was the best use one of those had ever been put to.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Leperflesh posted:

#notallmvps

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

orders in

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Leperflesh posted:

This is very true, but I don't think the MVP award was ever presented as or intended to be a sober analysis of who made the most optimal decisions over the course of their scenario. It's just whoever made the thread go 'Woah!' the biggest, which we all know is largely up to fate.

(this is speaking as someone who has no problem having lost out fairly narrowly to Wrestlemech, which is pretty hard to top)

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jun 24, 2016

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I just realised Ath needs a custom Atlas called the Athlas

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Mounting a Rage Projection Cannon

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
With an armoured cockpit.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

TildeATH posted:

#notallmvps

It certainly worked for me though. I had no idea what I was doing, but I was strapped into another Atlas with a 1/0 pilot just wandering around breaking things. However, I'm about 80% sure that if the Flashman had not eaten a Gauss shot to the head in the first few turns it would've turned out differently.

In any case, the conclusion of this mission is once again a nailbiter. That open cockpit on the Screamer is wigging me out.

Krumbsthumbs fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jun 24, 2016

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

PoptartsNinja posted:

After doing an non jump jet assisted DFA/elbow drop. Seeing that, we weren't not going to give him MVP.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Wafflecopper posted:

I just realised Ath needs a custom Atlas called the Athlas

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Bloody Pom posted:

No, he pursues into the tunnel and the sappers bring it down on his mech, burying it. He survives the cascade, crawls out to try to throw rocks at the departing Demon Hawks, gets swept up by a whirlwind and deposited outside.

Then he gets back up and suffers a stroke from anger.

Clan medtechs then recover him and fix him back up, because surely he'd want to die in combat...

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

dis astranagant posted:

If you build a biped you're making a Fafnir variant. You have room for a few lasers, maybe a bit more fun stuff if you clan up the endo and armor. The trouble with trying to make a Fafnir IIC is that HAGs run rather hot, limiting your potential backup weapons.

If you were to go with salvaged IS Heavy Gauss on such a beasty you can easily cram 4 medium pulse lasers and an extra heatsink on for some nasty close range punch that doesn't give a gently caress about heat. Or an ER Medium in place of the heatsink for that little bit of extra push when you're willing to cook to finish something.

I built a Fafnir with 2x Heavy Gauss and 2x CERPPCs. :colbert:

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
I'm tempted to say that Ronin was MVP for uncovering all those infantry at the exit: without that, one of the players would have almost certainly maneuvered right into them without knowing what-the-hell. Alternately, Javelin did good rescuing the downed pilot, which was the job I seem to recall Duncan giving to a certain someone else :colbert:.

Good on Duncan for those shots and all, but he's in a murder-bot, and that's what murder-bots are supposed to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Doing your job doesn't make you less valuable. Especially when you do your job exceptionally well.

Dadlas will still get my vote.

• Locked thread