Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Bitchkrieg posted:

I had a great interview for a digital marketing position at a small local company. I anticipate an offer sometime late this week. I loved the company and it's exactly in the field I want to be in. I also have student loan payments, though, and money is a big deal at this point.

I'd be taking an 10% paycut - and there's really no benefits other than a pretty generous (14 day) PTO + paid holidays, and work-from-home opportunities.

Is it reasonable to negotiate job title -- say, from manager to director?

Or, to request an addition day of PTO/year (15 makes it 3 weeks off, total, which I can 100% live with)?

(Cross posted to negotiation thread)

Why take this approach? How about negotiating so you're not taking a pay cut?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

air- posted:

Why take this approach? How about negotiating so you're not taking a pay cut?

It's a super small company (5 employees) and I've already negotiated pay up rate as high as I think I can. I'm also ready to walk, unfortunately, if my minimum can't be met.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Bitchkrieg posted:

It's a super small company (5 employees) and I've already negotiated pay up rate as high as I think I can. I'm also ready to walk, unfortunately, if my minimum can't be met.

A couple questions:

Do they understand where you are now? Why would they have the impression you'd be happy taking a pay cut?

Why would you want the title of director? It rings pretty hollow in a company of 5 where you have no one to direct. Looks cool on a business card or when you're trying to pick up a girl, but as far as advancing your career it does nothing and some might say it's fluff/BS.

Am I wrong or are you fairly junior in your career? It's cliche, but money isn't everything even when you have student loans. Experience is king. This is huge: "I loved the company and it's exactly in the field I want to be in".

If you're good at what you do and you can truly add value, money will come.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Titles don't mean poo poo if the company can't back them up. If you're doing it to make a more impressive resume, any interviewer worth their salt will ask you about the company and how many people worked there and will be able to see through that bullshit pretty quickly.

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

Dark Helmut posted:

A couple questions:

Do they understand where you are now? Why would they have the impression you'd be happy taking a pay cut?

Why would you want the title of director? It rings pretty hollow in a company of 5 where you have no one to direct. Looks cool on a business card or when you're trying to pick up a girl, but as far as advancing your career it does nothing and some might say it's fluff/BS.

Am I wrong or are you fairly junior in your career? It's cliche, but money isn't everything even when you have student loans. Experience is king. This is huge: "I loved the company and it's exactly in the field I want to be in".

If you're good at what you do and you can truly add value, money will come.

Good questions.

The founder knows he's offering lower compensation than I make, and much lower than commensurate patrons at local companies. At best, it's a lateral move with salary, but a step up with PTO and remote work.

Director because I'd be managing 18-22 freelancers the company keeps for project outsourcing, in addition to project management with the few other employees doing development/design work.

I'll not super early in my career. The experience in the field would be excellent, as would doing project management.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Bitchkrieg posted:

Good questions.

The founder knows he's offering lower compensation than I make, and much lower than commensurate patrons at local companies.

Why not apply at one of those other companies then? If you like the job enough for the pay cut that's fine, but if you don't hate it where you're at now, I'd consider holding out for something better.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I don't want to work in IT anymore. I have 12 years experience organizing/running part of a convention, and I want to further pursue that into a job doing event planning or something along those lines. How do I write up my resume to show relevancy from a volunteer organization to get into that field?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

I received an email to set up a 30 min phone call for a senior data analyst position with a major financial firm. It's with someone who went to my alma matter and is a senior person in the department, though not a manager according to his LinkedIn. They gave me a window of a few days next week; I went with the earliest, figuring sooner would be better.

Should I expect this to be behavioral or should I spend the weekend cramming like I'm about to have a PhD final in statistics?
As a follow-up, the interview did not go well. I thought I'd be okay, but it was my first time doing anything like this since 2007, so I was just completely flatfooted.

Guess it's back to the application grind. :negative:

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Was it behaviorial or should you have crammed for stats

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Goodpancakes posted:

Was it behaviorial or should you have crammed for stats
There were some relatively simple technical questions but my brain just wouldn't work. It was "explain this concept" and I latched onto part of the explanation but couldn't get around to the more important components, which is what he was looking for.

It was stuff I knew but just couldn't recall.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Josh Lyman posted:

it was my first time doing anything like this since 2007, so I was just completely flatfooted.
You could work on a personal project to get reacquainted with the material.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

signalnoise posted:

I don't want to work in IT anymore. I have 12 years experience organizing/running part of a convention, and I want to further pursue that into a job doing event planning or something along those lines. How do I write up my resume to show relevancy from a volunteer organization to get into that field?
I might be talking out of my rear end here, but this sounds like more of a "it's not what you know but who you know" type of situation. A competent resume might end up a requirement, but your primary focus is probably going to be networking at the type of events you hope to be planning.

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

Inept posted:

Why not apply at one of those other companies then? If you like the job enough for the pay cut that's fine, but if you don't hate it where you're at now, I'd consider holding out for something better.

Thanks for this. I'm not very good at advocating for myself sometimes, so trusting my abilities and having confidence in my value can be challenging.

They couldn't meet my (seriously 100% reasonable) salary requirement, so no job for me. The founder was a good guy, though, and recommended other local companies, praised my education/knowledge, and asked to keep in touch.

On the upside, I got an interview with a similar company doing analytics/marketing, so it's all good. I'm spending my night refreshing my R and Tableau.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

I have a question for you smart and nice people.

A while back I applied for a good job with an area university (I posted about it at the time in this thread.) I didn't get the job, but the hiring manager made it clear I was the interview panel's close second choice, they were very impressed with me and that I'd be a good fit for the university, so if I were to apply for anything else there I should let her know and she'd put in a good word for me with her contacts in whatever department for which I'd applied. I've really appreciated that, and so far I've done that for two positions a week or two apart. She always responds within a day or two saying she's passed a message along and wishing me luck.

A third one I'd be qualified for and interested in has just opened this week. I plan on applying, but is there a point where I should stop emailing this lady about positions I'm pursuing? I don't want to be a pest or anything, and since they're kind of spread out I worry I'm coming off that way. Am I overthinking it or is there any etiquette for this type of situation?

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!
A game developer recently posted an ad for a senior IT guy, which is basically a place I've always wanted to work and it's a step up that I feel I'm ready to take in my career too, so I'd really like a good shot at getting the job. Redid my resume so that it's relevant to everything they've asked for, wrote up a (I think) decent cover letter that would probably stand out. I'm a little stuck on the resume summary though, the last time I applied for a job it was a big no to put one in, but now it's acceptable? It makes sense, especially I imagine with a job that's probably going to have a billion hits on, to have a little blurb about who I am and what I can do.

How do I write it? Third person, second person? I've tried to stay away from "I" statements in the rest of the resume so I imagine I'd want to keep things the same throughout?

My resume is currently two pages, the first is the summary, my last two positions with a short paragraph about the role and bullet-pointed achievements for each and then the second page is a brief list of my IT positions before that, just the job title, company and date worked followed by a list of various technologies and IT skills - I couldn't mention them all in the first two positions. Is this a good thing to do, or should I remove the second page entirely and rely on the cover letter/summary to do what the second page does?

TwoSheds
Sep 12, 2007

Bringer of sugary treats!
I think I just royally hosed myself.

A recruiter for a position I applied to a couple of weeks ago just called me with no warning to do a phone screen. I thought I had time because I was waiting to donate blood and I was third in line. After a few seconds on the phone, they called the next three people in, so I had to ask if she'd call me back after I told her that now was a good time. She didn't give me a time, but she said ok.

I have the number she reached me at, but not her name. Do you think she'd be ok with me calling her back tomorrow? I can't loving believe this happened.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
For something like that I would be transparent - yo I'm about to donate blood, I'm in line, I have a couple minutes now but may get cut short, is it better for me to give you a call back afterwards?

No point in trying to take a call when you might not be able to take it.

TwoSheds
Sep 12, 2007

Bringer of sugary treats!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

For something like that I would be transparent - yo I'm about to donate blood, I'm in line, I have a couple minutes now but may get cut short, is it better for me to give you a call back afterwards?

No point in trying to take a call when you might not be able to take it.

Hindsight is 20-20, but I panicked. I know I hosed up, but I'm trying to salvage this. Is that even possible at this point?

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

TwoSheds posted:

Hindsight is 20-20, but I panicked. I know I hosed up, but I'm trying to salvage this. Is that even possible at this point?

Just call her back and be honest about it. If she holds it against you, you're in the same spot as you are now.

If not you'll get another go at it. Nothing to lose here buddy, don't worry about it.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Bluedeanie posted:

I have a question for you smart and nice people.

A while back I applied for a good job with an area university (I posted about it at the time in this thread.) I didn't get the job, but the hiring manager made it clear I was the interview panel's close second choice, they were very impressed with me and that I'd be a good fit for the university, so if I were to apply for anything else there I should let her know and she'd put in a good word for me with her contacts in whatever department for which I'd applied. I've really appreciated that, and so far I've done that for two positions a week or two apart. She always responds within a day or two saying she's passed a message along and wishing me luck.

A third one I'd be qualified for and interested in has just opened this week. I plan on applying, but is there a point where I should stop emailing this lady about positions I'm pursuing? I don't want to be a pest or anything, and since they're kind of spread out I worry I'm coming off that way. Am I overthinking it or is there any etiquette for this type of situation?
Keep going to the well until she indicates otherwise. Just make sure you're actually well qualified for the positions you're applying for. If I was in her position, I'd keep going to bat for you because I would want capable competent people in my organization that I know I could work with. There's also the possibility down the road of a lateral move to her team if you're in the organization.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

TwoSheds posted:

I think I just royally hosed myself.

A recruiter for a position I applied to a couple of weeks ago just called me with no warning to do a phone screen. I thought I had time because I was waiting to donate blood and I was third in line. After a few seconds on the phone, they called the next three people in, so I had to ask if she'd call me back after I told her that now was a good time. She didn't give me a time, but she said ok.

I have the number she reached me at, but not her name. Do you think she'd be ok with me calling her back tomorrow? I can't loving believe this happened.
It's bad but the recruiter screening you is ultimately not the hiring manager so who knows

Caffeinated Sloth
Apr 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'd love some thoughts from people involved in hiring or HR on how best to handle this situation from your perspective. I have 11 years full-time experience in the IT field and within the next year it may be time to look onward to a new employer. I am blind, so screen-reading assistive technology, almost certainly JAWS for Windows, is a necessity to use a computer and get things done. In the past I've waited until interview day to disclose this information as it “shouldn't” factor into a hiring decision.

This issue of accessibility and accommodations has the potential to come up if there are skill-based tests as part of the interview process. Now that I'm in mid-career, I expect these to be more common and elaborate. While I bring a laptop as a matter of course, IT/security policies often mean that company data can't touch my machine and my software can't be immediately installed on company equipment. Also, if such testing involves something as easy as passing out a diagram on a sheet of paper, that presents some challenges. When faced with this situation on the job, when I have all the right tools at my disposal, I'd find a way of interacting with the data that did not involve a graph and I'd come up with useful results. Another example is a test to connect to a Linux box and do something useful. While this is totally possible given the right tools, connecting personally-owned equipment to a company network can be a non-starter; installing a new piece of software which requires administrative rights can take tunneling through a few layers of bureaucracy. Again, given the right tools and a working setup I ssh into boxes and write scripts or configure applications quite often without issue.

I'd like to delay disclosure as late as possible so that it doesn't overshadow the accomplishments mentioned in my resume and cause me to be easily passed over for another candidate, however failing to bring up an important issue beforehand goes against how I act as an employee. However, , if there are no skill-based tests, then this isn't an issue and there is no point in mentioning it until later in the process after we've already discussed my previous relevant experiences face-to-face.

I've asked my peers, and their answers are all over the map from disclosing on a resume or cover letter (which I think is a bad idea) to just showing up on the day of, knowing about the possible issues, and winging it. The general consensus is “Wow, that sucks, good luck!”

In the past I’ve tried asking the HR representative who sets up my interview date if there is any special testing of which I should be aware. If that person were to say yes, I’d then discuss the need to accommodate the testing. If the HR representative says no, while the actual answer is yes, then things get awkward for everyone.

What's the best way of addressing this without prematurely disqualifying myself or derailing the interview process by finding myself sitting in front of a computer that I can't independently use? What would put you most at ease as an interviewer?

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

I had a great phone interview Friday and was asked to come on-site Tuesday afternoon to interview with the management team (4 people).
I am unsure if this is a technical or behavioral (or mix) interview.

My experience(s) with the data analysis and web analytics technology used in the position are totally self-taught/ersatz ("I implemented this marketing strategy and taught myself Tableau, because the built-in data visualizer for our ERP software was terrible").

Some things I've used in an academic or early professional environment, but not for a while - R, writing SQL queries, jQuery - so I'm brushing up. I have rudimentary/simple experience but am not an expert (but want to learn!!).

Is it a huge faux-pas to bring notes with me, about how I've implemented/used different things?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Ideally, you really should have examples of past work experience/relevant projects ready to talk about right off the top of your head.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
An in-law suggested this ONE WEIRD TRICK SURE TO GET YOU HIRED which consisted of copy/pasting the entire resume in a small box at the bottom of my resume that's 0.001 font size and same color as the background in order to trick the robot scanner thing to move your res onto the next phase. Stupid idea or not stupid idea?

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

thehandtruck posted:

An in-law suggested this ONE WEIRD TRICK SURE TO GET YOU HIRED which consisted of copy/pasting the entire resume in a small box at the bottom of my resume that's 0.001 font size and same color as the background in order to trick the robot scanner thing to move your res onto the next phase. Stupid idea or not stupid idea?

I don't really see how that would work. Most bots scan for keywords, so having the keyword twice isn't really going to change anything.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Kind of stuck in a bind. Looking for some input.

I just moved to the Seattle, WA area from Canada recently and I applied to some sysadmin jobs.

I interviewed at a couple places last week, I just received a call and basically it's for me to call back and negotiate a salary. Part of their application process is fill out your previous employers salaries which was basically 60k.

A couple things, Canadian salaries in general are lower compared to US, so I would expect over 60k here. Cost of living is also known to be ridiculous in the Seattle area due to MegaTechCorp.com growing, rent in the suburbs are sky high. I poked around on Glassdoor and it's obviously not the greatest to use to compare, but would 75k for a mid level sysadmin be ridiculous to ask? I'd imagine they would counter offer, but I'm looking for 70k at least.

Also, I have one more interview tomorrow with a separate company which I am highly interested in. I have met with the CEO and such, and more then likely prefer that job over the current one if I am offered. Would it be bad etiquette to mention to the HR that I do have another job offer, although I prefer to work for their company?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

lol internet. posted:

would 75k for a mid level sysadmin be ridiculous to ask? I'd imagine they would counter offer, but I'm looking for 70k at least.

Would it be bad etiquette to mention to the HR that I do have another job offer, although I prefer to work for their company?

If a form is insisting to fill in a number, put in zero and then read what the negotiation thread says for a huge pile of advice.

If I were you, I'd only speak up upon 100% certainty of having competing offers in hand.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid

air- posted:

If a form is insisting to fill in a number, put in zero and then read what the negotiation thread says for a huge pile of advice.

If I were you, I'd only speak up upon 100% certainty of having competing offers in hand.

Yeah I read that part, but HR insisted on it being filled out so I just filled it out. I ended up getting getting a firm offer for 65k. I said I will follow up by Thursday so I have another interview tomorrow with the other company but I will counter offer. I guess 75k wouldn't be that crazy assuming we meet at 70k as I was hoping.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I never put what my current salary is. If they require that they know, they aren't a good company to work for. Regardless of what you were paid you deserve the market rate or something competitive against it.

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

Bitchkrieg posted:

I had a great phone interview Friday and was asked to come on-site Tuesday afternoon to interview with the management team (4 people).
I am unsure if this is a technical or behavioral (or mix) interview.
:words:

Update: On-site interview today. There were three parts: (1) a personality test, (2) a technical interview, and (3) a personal/managerial interview.

I choked pretty hard on the tech interview (my first one, ever). The interviewing team emphasized that while I conceptually understood what I was doing, the application fell short. It was not programming, but using analytics software. They knew I'm 100% self taught in the subject, and the job description stressed being trainable/familiar with their technologies, but not expecting expertise. So.

The personal interview went well: I was asked about and discussed managing different projects and competing priorities/time, etc. Stressed my academic background / exp in research and stats, and the initiative I've taken at my current position to learn technologies and improves processes outside the expected responsibilities. Shook everyone's hands, thanked them for their time, and they said they were going to speak with the recruiter and email me in the next couple days.

When I called the recruiter after, he said he'll be working hard to get me an offer. I hope so.

I have two more in-person interviews over the next week. Goons, pray for me.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

thehandtruck posted:

Really stupid idea. Any bot/scanner thing is going to scrape and reparse your resume into plain text.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Dik Hz posted:

Really stupid idea. Any bot/scanner thing is going to scrape and reparse your resume into plain text.

I don't know if all companies that use these bots do this but I was always worried about this.

Of course, you could simply print the job description to PDF and attach it on the end of your resume on separate pages. Then you're not going anything shady and get the same effect. The recruiter might wonder why but just say it is so you can keep track of your resumes easier.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Dik Hz posted:

most places will force you to convert your resume to plain text for this purpose anyway. i know taleo does

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Question for y'all fine folk:

A couple weeks ago I applied for a position at a 500-1,000 person company that's in the print biz (union and everything), and maybe 8 hours later the hiring manager called me up and told me "we're interviewing you; also for a lot of other positions, but we're definitely interviewing you"

Okay sweet. I sent in my clips like they asked, but never got a confirmation that they were received. Called a few days later, got voicemail, left a short message saying I was just touching base to see if they got everything they needed.

It's been eight days and no email, no call, nothing. I know the company is older and struggling a bit with new management and revamping efforts, and that in this industry these weeks are when most people take their summer vacations to clear out July for the beginning of the fiscal year. But am I safe in assuming I should forget ever hearing back from them? Does the prices really move that slowly? Seems like even picking up the phone or a simple email confirmation would be an easy thing to do.

GonadTheBallbarian fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jun 22, 2016

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Brocialist posted:

I'd follow up in a week after the last email.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Brocialist posted:

A couple weeks ago I applied for a position at a 500-1,000 person company that's in the print biz (union and everything), and maybe 8 hours later the hiring manager called me up and told me "we're interviewing you; also for a lot of other positions, but we're definitely interviewing you"

Okay sweet. I sent in my clips like they asked, but never got a confirmation that they were received. Called a few days later, got voicemail, left a short message saying I was just touching base to see if they got everything they needed.

It's been eight days and no email, no call, nothing. I know the company is older and struggling a bit with new management and revamping efforts, and that in this industry these weeks are when most people take their summer vacations to clear out July for the beginning of the fiscal year. But am I safe in assuming I should forget ever hearing back from them? Does the prices really move that slowly? Seems like even picking up the phone or a simple email confirmation would be an easy thing to do.
Could be any number of legitimate reasons. You're not going to piss anyone off by pinging the hiring manager on e-mail. Or calling again. But I'd try e-mail first.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

makes sense, thanks!

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Does anyone have suggestions on how to deal with people who are taking a while to fill out those online reference forms during the hiring process? I'm *this* close to a great new job, but I'm waiting on one more reference so HR will extend the initial offer from the hiring manager.

I don't want to use my current managers due to politics, and the two I'm waiting on are a couple states away. How often can I bug them politely remind them about getting it done? Their office is very busy, so I get that it's low on the priority list but I really don't want to mess this up.

How long does HR mind waiting for these sorts of things? It'll be one week this Friday, which is probably not crazy- I'm just pretty impatient because I'm super excited about the opportunity and feel I need to adjust my expectations. I've cared way less about my previous job offers so this process was more of a 'ok whenever you finish it' sort of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asur
Dec 28, 2012

BadSamaritan posted:

Does anyone have suggestions on how to deal with people who are taking a while to fill out those online reference forms during the hiring process? I'm *this* close to a great new job, but I'm waiting on one more reference so HR will extend the initial offer from the hiring manager.

I don't want to use my current managers due to politics, and the two I'm waiting on are a couple states away. How often can I bug them politely remind them about getting it done? Their office is very busy, so I get that it's low on the priority list but I really don't want to mess this up.

How long does HR mind waiting for these sorts of things? It'll be one week this Friday, which is probably not crazy- I'm just pretty impatient because I'm super excited about the opportunity and feel I need to adjust my expectations. I've cared way less about my previous job offers so this process was more of a 'ok whenever you finish it' sort of thing.

If you can't call up a reference and ask them hurry the gently caress up because the new company is waiting on it then they probably shouldn't be a reference.