Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Would give no fucks about an ETS award if it meant I could get out faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

mlmp08 posted:

Also this. I had a retirement award (MSM) get downgraded for one of my NCOs, and through dumbassery by the S1, they told him this before me and he was utterly loving done with it and ready to accept an ARCOM. I rewrote the whole award and attached a personal letter that said, in short "If this award isn't good enough, blame my writing ability, not this NCO" then had the BN XO and BDE DCO clean it up and get it back to the CG's staff the next morning. He left with an MSM and appreciated it, but really I realized it was very worth it when his wife came up and explained that he'd been ratfucked out of an MSM several times over his career after his first line leaders recommended him for them, but his higher leadership wasn't willing to fight for it.

Awards have always been a huge deal and a headache for some reason.

I posted before that my personal philosophy is simply the reg. If the dude did what the reg says, and you write it up, then I'll approve it.

I do have only one time that I feel bad about. One of my NCO's was on the shitlist of my supervisor, and the commander AND the next commander up. I was brought in the office and told by both that if I wrote him a BSM for our deployment it'd be downgraded before the ink was dry and I'd be the new top scorer of the poo poo list AND they'd make me rewrite it as an ARCOM anyway.

And the thing is, nobody should have gotten a BSM for that deployment, but all the other NCO's of the same rank and similar position got them.

*edit* now for the guy failing the height/weight test while getting out. Guess what? I've done this and seen higher ranking officers than me do this. Give you your final tape test in my office and lo and behold you pass. Remove the flag, give you your award and tell you to have a good civilian life.

spacetoaster fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jun 23, 2016

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Awards, other than those with a "V" device, are complete bullshit. I watched two stellar platoon sergeants get their end of tour awards downgraded from BSMs to ARCOMS because they were only E6s when they were submitted (both pinned E7 two months later). Meanwhile the retarded E7 platoon sergeant that got fired, along with his retarded platoon leader both got BSMs. I tried to refuse mine in protest, but was told to shut up and that it wasn't mine to refuse.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST

mlmp08 posted:

If I were hiring in the civilian world and knew a former NCO or officer ETS'd with no award I'd tend to think

:lol: look at this guy

Carteret posted:

Lol who gives a gently caress about an ETS award if you have no plans of doing anything in the military again lmao

same also gently caress the army smd if you are still in

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Soulex posted:

Eh, it's the principle now, plus I'm actually proud of what I did in the Army despite the bullshit. Being shown the door unceremoniously while everyone else gets one makes me all mushy

dude no I mean i posted like the same poo poo months ago

I actually just got an AAM and I think i'd prefer nothing over that lazy poo poo.

but now, with the benefit of a few months being out, just lol, lol at ets awards and all of that. gently caress it. Just get out, nothing is worth poo poo. As long as you're not a dishonorable no one gives a single flying gently caress about whatever you did in the army.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

dude no I mean i posted like the same poo poo months ago

I actually just got an AAM and I think i'd prefer nothing over that lazy poo poo.

but now, with the benefit of a few months being out, just lol, lol at ets awards and all of that. gently caress it. Just get out, nothing is worth poo poo. As long as you're not a dishonorable no one gives a single flying gently caress about whatever you did in the army.

except for mlmp08

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Mike-o posted:

except for mlmp08

imagine waking into an interview and this dude just slams a coin down on the table and says "WHAT NOW BITCH YOU WANT THIS JOB? YOU BETTER DO BETTER THAN A CENTCOM COIN."

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I guess it's apparent I've been around military and contractor and DAC workers too long.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

mlmp08 posted:

I guess it's apparent I've been around military and contractor and DAC workers too long.

yeah dude that poo poo is still army as gently caress

also gently caress you because I followed your avatar onetime and ended up watching all sorts of dumb recruitment videos about ADA in the 60s

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

also gently caress you because I followed your avatar onetime and ended up watching all sorts of dumb recruitment videos about ADA in the 60s

lol I like the one where it says the computer fights the battle for you.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

mlmp08 posted:

lol I like the one where it says the computer fights the battle for you.

REDEYE PROVIDES LOW FLYING JET DEFEENSE TO ARE TROOPS

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

THE TOMAHAWK KNOWS WHERE IT IS

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

It's still defense if you can only shoot while they're outbound with ordnance already dropped, right?

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

mlmp08 posted:

It's still defense if you can only shoot while they're outbound with ordnance already dropped, right?

dude, the people using redeye were draftees, do you think they really gave a god drat gently caress about who died?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

We here in GiP can be assholes to one another, but I'm being as nice and genuine as possible when I say that your experience with the military bureaucracy and lifestyle is completely meaningless in the private sector and even most of the federal government, including the DoD. I watch a lot of O3s and O4s struggle with this transition; the sooner you can divorce yourself from the mindset that things like military credentials matter, the easier it will be. You'll also realize that those same defense contractors you've mentioned are body grinders who have lovely benefits, lovely pay, and don't care about their employees beyond having a warm body with a clearance they can bill against.

Kikuchiyo
Apr 24, 2003

Shuttle of joy never forget.

Soulex posted:

Eh, it's the principle now, plus I'm actually proud of what I did in the Army despite the bullshit. Being shown the door unceremoniously while everyone else gets one makes me all mushy

I think the only thing you'll run into is the ABCP flag. Wanted to recommend a guy for an award recently but couldn't because he was flagged for overweight. Looking it up the only exception was for valor or 20-year retirement with a waiver from a general. lovely but not sure how much can be done

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

psydude posted:

We here in GiP can be assholes to one another, but I'm being as nice and genuine as possible when I say that your experience with the military bureaucracy and lifestyle is completely meaningless in the private sector and even most of the federal government, including the DoD. I watch a lot of O3s and O4s struggle with this transition; the sooner you can divorce yourself from the mindset that things like military credentials matter, the easier it will be. You'll also realize that those same defense contractors you've mentioned are body grinders who have lovely benefits, lovely pay, and don't care about their employees beyond having a warm body with a clearance they can bill against.

psydude said it better than I ever could. Like I understand why soulex cares and poo poo, I get it. I was in that poo poo for like 1/3d of my life. it really is just all BULLSHIT. to be fair I can't even comprehend wanting to work with an agency that cares about poo poo like yours does mlmp, and that is what it is, but jesus gently caress that just seems kinda silly to me all things told. Like for real i love everyone that post here and poo poo but "based on their ets award' or whatever is probably one of the most absurd things i've read in my life

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

psydude posted:

You'll also realize that those same defense contractors you've mentioned are body grinders who have lovely benefits, lovely pay, and don't care about their employees beyond having a warm body with a clearance they can bill against.

Yeah, I've seen it go both ways for those who get out. Most are pretty happy. Some end up working in places even worse than Army life. The most severely weird: those who exit then get back in, doubly so if they didn't get back in due to some unforeseen financial disaster.

E: maybe I overstate awards because I've always been in orgs that will blow up leadership if they skimp on awards rather than accept screwing people out of awards over petty poo poo.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jun 23, 2016

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

honestly the most the Army has ever gotten me in a job interview was a "thank you for your service!!!"

you could've thanked me by hiring me

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

honestly the most the Army has ever gotten me in a job interview was a "thank you for your service!!!"

you could've thanked me by hiring me

lmao

when I got out the first time I was interviewed at target

they asked me

"what was one of the most difficult obstacles you have overcome at you last job"

mind you I was 23 and didnt ever really think about it, and had been back from iraq less than 4-5 months.

I wanted to say "WELL ALL MY FRIENDS loving DISINTEGRATED FROM AN EFP"

but I knew that would not go well

I think I just kind of mumbled some other poo poo IDK.

but at least they didnt ask about my ets award

edit:

oh yeah I got a postcard postmarked from like the same day being like "No go gently caress yourself"

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

The military imparts some very good and very bad traits upon people. For young officers and NCOs who aren't sociopaths, they can come away from it with drastically more managerial experience than they would have had at that age as well as empathy for their employees and coworkers gained by supervising and caring for people, as well as the savvy and ability to negotiate politically sensitive situations within organizations. For others, it reinforces and refines the innate desire and ability to bully people who are helpless to stop you. I see equal helpings of both with the military and IC agencies I work with.

The Army gave me a TS/SCI clearance (that I used to get out of direct government contracting) and a level of responsibility that was far greater than most (at that point in my life) 24 year olds would have experienced. But "military" stuff like my IWQ score, awards, PT score, and everything else? Nobody gives a poo poo, and nobody should.

e: Also, free TSA-Pre. Nothing beats bypassing an hour long wait and making it through security in 2 minutes.

psydude fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jun 23, 2016

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

Now with 25% more kimchee.

psydude posted:

e: Also, free TSA-Pre. Nothing beats bypassing an hour long wait and making it through security in 2 minutes.

I hear private air beats ever setting foot in a scrub airport. Is that something the O7+ money can get?

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Never got an ETS award.

SMDFTB

manchego
Feb 16, 2007

MEANWHILE,

psydude posted:

Am I a sucker for having dropped the $100 for Global Entry? I've got a similar background as you (clearance-wise) and did it on a whim.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Syrian Lannister posted:

Never got an ETS award.

SMDFTB

enjoy being an unemployable hobo :smug:

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones

Justin Tyme posted:

enjoy being an unemployable hobo :smug:

I'll let you know how it goes in 13/18 years when I retire.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
So that AMA with SMA over on Reddit? Yeah, it got "postponed" because SMA has a meeting.

Sounds about right. :)

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
lol

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Aranan posted:

So that AMA with SMA over on Reddit? Yeah, it got "postponed" because SMA has a meeting.

Sounds about right. :)

Hahaha.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
tbf i wouldn't want to do an AMA on reddit either

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Nobody will respect you if your entire rack isn't on your resume and LinkedIn, bitch

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

So the saga continues! I was just called in to get a loving counseling statement saying that I will not be getting an award because I did not meet the requirements of being able to be eligible for one. The main cause apparently the fact that I was on the height and weight program.

Naturally, I blew the gently caress up.

The guy who was giving me my counseling is a good coworker and acquaintance so he didn't take it personally. Apparently he is pissed off to because he has 2 years left on his contract. He was, as in no longer, going to reenlist because he had recruiter duty and he was going to get a nice duty station having volunteered to replace someone on a deployment about 3 weeks before movement. The place he's moving to is 2-2, where he was before this MOS. this poor guy has been at Lewis his entire military career. And will finish it here.

The way I've been treated the past few weeks is akin to a soldier going out on a dui or something like that. So utterly disrespectful to me. I was never going to be able to come back in anyways but gently caress if I am even remotely thinking about it now.

Right now I'm just chilling in a parking lot because I tried to explain this to my wife who eventually said that "awards are earned and not asked for." which is laughable but ok. I said it was for my 9 years and it was a gesture of respect for the service, travesty, and medical issues I am now walking away with. Then she called me embarrassing.

Parked because I'm far too tempted to crash my car into something. Or go to a pot shop. Something to forget, something to ease this pain. And I have no where else to go.

I've got 35 texts from her I haven't read and can't read because I'm afraid it's just gonna be more poo poo telling me how I'm a child for feeling hurt over this. It's stressful. I'm trying to sell my house and am 2 weeks behind schedule with that, I've been running around trying to get poo poo taken care of so I can clear, I'm 4 weeks behind on both of my college classes which are the last two I need to graduate and have a midterm on Sunday I haven't studied for at all, I have to be a parent and a husband running on 4 or less hours of sleep a night because insomnia is a mother fucker and when I come home nothing has been done and I get yelled at for not helping as much as I can.

I don't k ow what to do. So I'm just sitting here, listening to Type O Negative and playing iPhone games. The little special drink I got her and pastry for my son are next to me and the ice will be melted by the time I get home because I got them before all this poo poo started.

I need to be alone for a while, and make sure I have the self control to not do something stupid. I don't want to talk, just sit here and wait for the anxiety to stop making my body shake.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
So you are flagged and therefore ineligible for an EOT award?

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
army.txt

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Zeris posted:

So you are flagged and therefore ineligible for an EOT award?

Yes

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

No because they have to remove any flags in order for you to get your orders.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Soulex posted:

So the saga continues! I was just called in to get a loving counseling statement saying that I will not be getting an award because I did not meet the requirements of being able to be eligible for one. The main cause apparently the fact that I was on the height and weight program.

Naturally, I blew the gently caress up.

The guy who was giving me my counseling is a good coworker and acquaintance so he didn't take it personally. Apparently he is pissed off to because he has 2 years left on his contract. He was, as in no longer, going to reenlist because he had recruiter duty and he was going to get a nice duty station having volunteered to replace someone on a deployment about 3 weeks before movement. The place he's moving to is 2-2, where he was before this MOS. this poor guy has been at Lewis his entire military career. And will finish it here.

The way I've been treated the past few weeks is akin to a soldier going out on a dui or something like that. So utterly disrespectful to me. I was never going to be able to come back in anyways but gently caress if I am even remotely thinking about it now.

Right now I'm just chilling in a parking lot because I tried to explain this to my wife who eventually said that "awards are earned and not asked for." which is laughable but ok. I said it was for my 9 years and it was a gesture of respect for the service, travesty, and medical issues I am now walking away with. Then she called me embarrassing.

Parked because I'm far too tempted to crash my car into something. Or go to a pot shop. Something to forget, something to ease this pain. And I have no where else to go.

I've got 35 texts from her I haven't read and can't read because I'm afraid it's just gonna be more poo poo telling me how I'm a child for feeling hurt over this. It's stressful. I'm trying to sell my house and am 2 weeks behind schedule with that, I've been running around trying to get poo poo taken care of so I can clear, I'm 4 weeks behind on both of my college classes which are the last two I need to graduate and have a midterm on Sunday I haven't studied for at all, I have to be a parent and a husband running on 4 or less hours of sleep a night because insomnia is a mother fucker and when I come home nothing has been done and I get yelled at for not helping as much as I can.

I don't k ow what to do. So I'm just sitting here, listening to Type O Negative and playing iPhone games. The little special drink I got her and pastry for my son are next to me and the ice will be melted by the time I get home because I got them before all this poo poo started.

I need to be alone for a while, and make sure I have the self control to not do something stupid. I don't want to talk, just sit here and wait for the anxiety to stop making my body shake.

- Contact the JAG office and get an appointment to see if they know any lawyer magic. to help you.

- Go to the ER if you're thinking of harming yourself or go to the mental health clinic if it's open.

I know exactly how you feel. Hurting yourself does exactly nothing to help anyone.

Just keep telling yourself this: "No matter what happens, no matter what they do, this isn't the end of my life, and 6 months from now I'll be done and this'll be a dumb story I tell people over beers."

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones

spacetoaster posted:

- Contact the JAG office and get an appointment to see if they know any lawyer magic. to help you.

- Go to the ER if you're thinking of harming yourself or go to the mental health clinic if it's open.

I know exactly how you feel. Hurting yourself does exactly nothing to help anyone.

Just keep telling yourself this: "No matter what happens, no matter what they do, this isn't the end of my life, and 6 months from now I'll be done and this'll be a dumb story I tell people over beers."

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

spacetoaster posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

spacetoaster posted:

I know, it was those thoughts that flash up and sound appealing at the time. It's why I parked and just sat. I didn't want to, but I wanted something to happen. Does that make sense?

I don't have enough energy to try to do anything or fight anymore. It is what it loving is, a disgraceful command with a leader who normally isn't toxic getting some sand in her rear end and flinging poo poo at anyone who comes on radar. I really think it's because the person who is getting chaptered out is causing issues and I didn't make PT today because my battery died and had to go buy jumper cables. She said I checked out or something and "made some comments." But whatever.

Yeah, I probably won't laugh about this later. It'll be one of those hosed up stories that has a pseudo happy ending like a victim escaping a kidnapper. It's great the person escaped but they got hosed up in the mean time.

I'm just aghast over how such blatant disrespect is being thrown in all directions

• Locked thread