Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Serge had a hard time adjusting to the new system and his obvious loss of athleticism. During the playoffs he played well and forsee him having a good season with the Thunder next season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I wish free agency was sooner. Going to read way too many rumors between now and the 8th.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I don't have proof but I think Miami championship parades weren't all that dirty. Also they were smart and held the player speeches and stuff inside the arena.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

RE: Detroit

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Crazy Ted posted:

Detroit after the 1984 World Series is probably the winner.

I'm gonna go with the 1989 World Series

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

The Glumslinger posted:

I'm gonna go with the 1989 World Series
Didn't happen after the series so it doesn't count :colbert:

Fun fact: there was a maintenance man working on one of the light columns at Candlestick when the earthquake hit.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Redgrendel2001 posted:

You're being sarcastic right? Because that's pretty drat clean and looks easy to clean up. Glass bottles aren't broken, no vomit/poo poo/piss, no corpses or body parts.

And Lebron confirmconfirms he's not going to Brazil.

Hah, I was living in Boston after some Patriots victory or other when people were flipping cars and setting fires and some dude down my block decided to celebrate by driving his SUV backwards as fast as he could with the lights off and killed a college student. Every college campus I ever seen looks like those Cleveland photos any given Saturday and Sunday morning. This was the inspiring view from the front of my Brooklyn apartment on the glorious first day of Spring:

I'm only a few moments away from the strip club where one of my Knicks got shot in the legs and robbed this very season. We were talking mailman a second ago and our mailman wears a Captain America shirt and a few months ago he helped my roommate chase down a fiend who'd just snuck into our house and snatched a phone from the charger and when a volunteer firefighter helped tackle the thief his bag was full of 7 phones and a laptop. And we're miles away from anything I'd consider a bad neighborhood. Like every shooting in the last 4 years was cops doing the shooting. So to answer your question Cleveland definitely needs to chill.

edit: 1977 world champion yankees where the broadcast was briefly interrupted because the city was on fire (for insurance scam purposes) and a serial killer was shooting people

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jun 23, 2016

People Stew
Dec 5, 2003

Serge ibaka: average player

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Metapod posted:

Serge had a hard time adjusting to the new system and his obvious loss of athleticism. During the playoffs he played well and forsee him having a good season with the Thunder next season

This.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Crazy Ted posted:

RE: Detroit

Okay Detroit 1984 takes the cake with hundreds of people being held at gunpoint while the VPOTUS has to escape the stadium.

Absolute pro-read

https://www.detroitathletic.com/blog/2014/09/21/night-detroit-tigers-won-1984-world-series/

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

jealous. I've never spoken to my mailman.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Okay Detroit 1984 takes the cake with hundreds of people being held at gunpoint while the VPOTUS has to escape the stadium.

Absolute pro-read

https://www.detroitathletic.com/blog/2014/09/21/night-detroit-tigers-won-1984-world-series/

:stare: How have I never heard of any of this?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Henchman of Santa posted:

:stare: How have I never heard of any of this?
It was such a huge riot that it got press coverage all over the world. DETROIT :downsbravo:

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Not to sound like I own a pair of Chefs but you should always try to be friends with your mailman! Wave to 'em and say Heyy at least. They might stop someone from robbing your house if they don't hate you. Or at least they might not throw your mail down a storm drain.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Libertine posted:

I don't know man, this forum has been like the epicenter of underselling Ibaka's defensive accomplishments for the last five years and now everyone's saying he's untouchable when he actually becomes touchable. It's very strange.

People took issue with him getting votes as literally the very best defensive player in the entire league. I know nuance on the Internet is hard but that's not the same as saying he's not a very good and valuable defensive player.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jun 23, 2016

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The timeframe specifically was 2012 when Ibaka got 2nd in DPOY, then he actually stopped trying to only get weakside blocks and began just contesting. Same thing Whiteside learned eventually this season.

J
Jun 10, 2001

net work error posted:

I don't have proof but I think Miami championship parades weren't all that dirty. Also they were smart and held the player speeches and stuff inside the arena.

But they could have done better planning it so that the players didn't have to duck to not get decapitated during the parade.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheVertical/status/746091364811743232

Woj reporting that Willy Hernangomez is going to come over from Spain and sign a contract with the Knicks. Pretty well regarded prospect among Knicks followers, should immediately slide into the rotation if not the starting center role now that Lopez is gone.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Crazy Ted posted:

It was such a huge riot that it got press coverage all over the world. DETROIT :downsbravo:

I was born in 92 so I guess local sports media has just avoided talking about it and for whatever reason my parents never mentioned it. If you talk Detroit riots the discussion is always about 1967 (coincidentally the Tigers won in 1968).

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Whip Slagcheek posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheVertical/status/746091364811743232

Woj reporting that Willy Hernangomez is going to come over from Spain and sign a contract with the Knicks. Pretty well regarded prospect among Knicks followers, should immediately slide into the rotation if not the starting center role now that Lopez is gone.
Willy and the Zingis will lead the Knickerbockers to the promised land.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Crazy Ted posted:

Willy and the Zingis will lead the Knickerbockers to the promised land.

They're BFF's. If Willy is as good as reports say he is, he could be a difference maker up front. Add a shooting guard and the Knicks have a potentially viable starting group??? No loving way, we're going to screw this up.

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"
Breaking news: Danny Ainge smiled!!!

https://mobile.twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/status/746094300644114432

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

https://twitter.com/WojVerticalNBA/status/746076858370899968

Saric for #8 please

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

That Minny deal probably involves Noel. No sir I don't like it

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Crazy Ted posted:

That Minny deal probably involves Noel. No sir I don't like it

This. No trading Nerlens

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

If one of the guards or Brown is there, this is not a bad idea. I've written and deleted half a dozen blahblahblah posts in the last month about how a Saric to Minny for the #5 makes sense and a lot of the same rationale holds true for Sac and the #8 if Chriss does go in the top 7.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

:kingsley::kingsley::kingsley::kingsley:

I'm so nervous

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

euphronius posted:

:kingsley::kingsley::kingsley::kingsley:

I'm so nervous

:siren:

Ben Simmons has broken his first set of ankles!

https://twitter.com/RealGM/status/746103238273957890?s=09

:siren:

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

:laffo:

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Didn't expect to see him pass up that assist

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Didn't help him up, not gonna be a good teammate

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Simmons is gonna be a bust.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

All the notable Sixers legends checking in.

ChukwudiebereM @ChuChuM14

I'm in Nigeria, someone tell me if I end up getting traded again 😩

3:12 PM . 23 Jun 16

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

The Glumslinger posted:

Didn't help him up, not gonna be a good teammate

Yup. Ship him to China immediately

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Saric isn't gonna do poo poo even if he comes over so I'd make that trade

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Here are the pre-season poll questions with the correct answers and the percentage of the 83 voters that guessed correctly (descending order):

Tim Duncan will become the first post-ABA merger player to reach 15,000 TRB: Agree - 96.3%

LeBron James will play in the 2016 NBA finals (six consecutive seasons): Agree - 91.5%

Select the eight Western Conference playoff teams: 78.0%

Select the eight Eastern Conference playoff teams: 62.8%

Select the Finals winner: Cavaliers - 40.9%

Which team finishes with the worst record? 76ers - 39.7%

Which team finishes with the best record? Warriors - 31.3%

Kobe Bryant and Derrick Rose will both log at least 1,500 minutes this season: Agree - 31.3%

Name the rookie WS and/or PER leader: Karl-Anthony Towns - 25.3%

Which team will have the largest win swing this season? Knicks and Hornets - 19.2%

Select the WCF loser: Thunder - 14.4%

Select the Finals loser: Warriors - 9.6%

Select the ECF loser: Raptors - 6.0%

Stephen Curry will win the 2016 Kia MVP award: Agree - 2.4%

Name the overall WS and/or PER leader: Stephen Curry - 1.2%

Which team will have the largest loss swing this season? Nets - 0%

Niwrad posted:

The crazy thing is they aren't trying to tank (Reinsdorf won't allow it). If they were they'd trade Butler while his value is as high as it'll get. They'd have traded Gasol at the deadline.

They genuinely believe that organizations win championships. That they are the smartest men in the room. Gar talked today about how they need to build their roster around their head coach as if he was the second coming of Red Auerbach.

They're calling it a "retool" which is a somewhat euphemistic word IMO. Retooling is one of those buzzwords being thrown around a lot lately and it doesn't have a lot of negative connotations yet.

Paul Zuvella posted:

Getting rid of Iguodala means that their bench is going to be Livingston and a rotating cast of scrub lords. This team cannot afford to go all in on Kevin Durant, it just does not make sense.

Poaching a player of that stature away from a main rival would help in the playoffs.

GSW already had the greatest shooting season last year. If they had KD, Curry and Klay they'd probably break their own shooting records.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

That Rose-Knicks video has disappeared
https://twitter.com/nyknicks/status/745736418006163457

Sir_Charles posted:

My mailman said that KD is pretty much a lock to sign with the Bulls so get hype, Chicago.

:hfive:

EvanTH posted:

Check out these photos:
https://imgur.com/a/58cWm

:lol: Bunch of slobs.

:eyepop:

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Maybe KD wants to help buttress Lebron's status as the GOAT by letting him repeat against a Curry/Durant/Thompson/Green superteam. That's nice of him.

Maybe the Warriors can sign Dirk too so Lebron can even up his all-time finals series against him.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
I was an early proponent of both Ibaka and Anthony Davis being totally overrated based on highlight reel blocks, because I hate fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

dokmo posted:

I was an early proponent of both Ibaka and Anthony Davis being totally overrated based on highlight reel blocks, because I hate fun.

I swear to god, if you start telling us that Dunks are bad basketball

• Locked thread