Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

GREY1974
by Jimbo, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

IMG_5507 by difficult listening, on Flickr

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Excellent setting to murder a hitchhiker or something.

Dekk
Aug 31, 2001
First post to The Dorkroom. Be gentle.

I went to Iceland about a month ago and finally tossed all of my photos on my website. Here are a few of my favorites. Comments welcome.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Not a huge fan of the shots with a person inside of them - they feel like a documentarian "I was here" thing instead of an interesting landscape.

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

These would be killer if you weren't in them.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Choicecut posted:

You have an odd definition of "killer"

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
I dig the Iceland pics. Having gone last year and taken no photos with me in them, I think it's nice for yourself to have some. But they don't make for better photographs. Great loving light, though. That was in May? I need to do a spring trip...

Office by Jason Martin, on Flickr

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

ansel autisms posted:

You have an odd definition of "killer"

"how dare your aesthetic tastes not match mine"

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Dekk posted:

I went to Iceland about a month ago and finally tossed all of my photos on my website. Here are a few of my favorites. Comments welcome.

These are all underexposed. I can barely see any detail in, y'know, the actual landscape.

Bottom Liner posted:

:rolleyes:

quote:

"how dare you give critique with which I disagree"
See how easy that is?

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Dekk posted:

what are you going for here? like give us some of your thoughts about these photos and your presence in them. dont overthink it, doesn't have to be a deep answer

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Choicecut posted:

I think the word you're looking for is 'cliche'.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Bottom Liner posted:

Please talk about art again, I'd love to see you probated again for spouting garbage opinions in here

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

If that's true, then why would that person ask for critique or comments? Everyone is a unique person, thus aesthetic tastes will always be different. In fact sometimes that difference in perception is the value of asking for critique. You can listen but you don't have to agree.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

To add onto my earlier post all I can really say about your photos is that they don't say much and at a glance (not knowing you or what your ~"story"~ is) feel like they are narcissism pics that belong on 500px or instagram. This is an honest critique and I'm not try'na run you out.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

alkanphel posted:

If that's true, then why would that person ask for critique or comments? Everyone is a unique person, thus aesthetic tastes will always be different. In fact sometimes that difference in perception is the value of asking for critique. You can listen but you don't have to agree.

Ansel wasn't critiquing the photos as much as telling another poster that was that his opinion is invalid.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

Ansel wasn't critiquing the photos as much as telling another poster that was that his opinion is invalid.

you're an obtuse turd who will bring nothing of value to the discussion of good vs bad critique & art at your current pace

ape
Jul 20, 2009
Where are the pics of the crashed plane? It's been a few pages since anyone posted that.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Bottom Liner posted:

Publicly expressed disagreement upsets my fragile sensibilities :qq:

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

dekk, your pictures are technically very good and framed well, but they've probably been taken a million times. i think people in here are looking for originality. definitely cool to have those tho. that's my take. hope you had fun on your trip.

Karl Barks fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Nov 15, 2016

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Dekk posted:

They make for some generically nice vacation pics but that's about it. Feels like you read a Kinfolk magazine first before going to Iceland too.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Dekk posted:

Having yourself in the photos is fine for you as a way of marking a point in time for yourself in the future when you look back on your Iceland trip, but as far as a landscape photo goes its completely unnecessary as we know you were there. You're the photographer, your the one taking the shot and showing us something interesting/beautiful/telling a story/etc, we don't need you also in it.

Technically, I had problems trying to see whats in the shadows at all, and to be honest they're a bit difficult to look at in that regard. You have these sections of the photos that are exceptionally bright which draw your eye away from the interesting bits, the actual landscape. And I'm not sure about the composition on the wide angle shots, you seem to be compensating for the FOV by getting close the the ground to anchor the shot, and you need to ask yourself is that interesting? Is this improving the shot? What is the actual focal point of the photo? Whats the compelling component?

My advice is to just keep shooting and be critical of your own work.

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

alkanphel posted:

If that's true, then why would that person ask for critique or comments?

I think bottom liner (obtuse turd, I guess) was referring to me liking a couple of the Iceland pics and Ansel making GBS threads on me. I do like his photos, I just don't like him in them.

I still love you Ansel, it's ok. :love: :dong:

Karl Barks posted:

been taken a million times. i think people in here are looking for originality.

This is a "killer" shot too. Was that taken with your FA? I took a couple shots earlier with the cheap FA I picked up from a friend. The LCD readout in the viewfinder is hilarious. HIGH TECH!

You guys have to see the comedy in this. You're critting this dude for not being original, when in the page just before this one, people are praising someone for posting almost the same photo (which I also like) that's been posted in this thread before.

Choicecut fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jun 24, 2016

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Choicecut posted:

You guys have to see the comedy in this. You're critting this dude for not being original, when in the page just before this one, people are praising someone for posting almost the same photo (which I also like) that's been posted in this thread before.

What photo?

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Spedman posted:

Having yourself in the photos is fine for you as a way of marking a point in time for yourself in the future when you look back on your Iceland trip, but as far as a landscape photo goes its completely unnecessary as we know you were there. You're the photographer, your the one taking the shot and showing us something interesting/beautiful/telling a story/etc, we don't need you also in it.

Technically, I had problems trying to see whats in the shadows at all, and to be honest they're a bit difficult to look at in that regard. You have these sections of the photos that are exceptionally bright which draw your eye away from the interesting bits, the actual landscape. And I'm not sure about the composition on the wide angle shots, you seem to be compensating for the FOV by getting close the the ground to anchor the shot, and you need to ask yourself is that interesting? Is this improving the shot? What is the actual focal point of the photo? Whats the compelling component?

My advice is to just keep shooting and be critical of your own work.

Posts like this are killer.

I'd suggest looking into graduated filters or compositing multiple exposures (HDR minus the garish tone-mapping). It looks like you really like playing with light, but are struggling to capture the full dynamic range of these scenes.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Helicity posted:

Posts like this are killer.

I'd suggest looking into graduated filters or compositing multiple exposures (HDR minus the garish tone-mapping). It looks like you really like playing with light, but are struggling to capture the full dynamic range of these scenes.

i'd argue the problem isn't even technical yet.

anyways here's some photos instead of all the words we've been inundated with. in the spirit of this thread: feel free to critique them.

untitled by Max Piepenbrink, on Flickr

courthouse by Max Piepenbrink, on Flickr

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Choicecut posted:

I think bottom liner (obtuse turd, I guess) was referring to me liking a couple of the Iceland pics an
This is a "killer" shot too. Was that taken with your FA? I took a couple shots earlier with the cheap FA I picked up from a friend. The LCD readout in the viewfinder is hilarious. HIGH TECH!

Thanks, this is my FE. I just keep the 50mm on it and don't change lenses.

That other post was a stated homage to a specific picture from an artist he likes, I think that's different.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Choicecut posted:

If you're talking about the walkway photos, they're not at all the same photo. Also, mine was posted two years ago. If anything, mine is the less original composition by far.

On to the current photos being discussed: he asked for critique. Unelaborated praise ("that's killer") isn't that.

MrBlandAverage fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jun 24, 2016

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

MrBlandAverage posted:

If you're talking about the walkway photos, they're not at all the same photo.

Hahaha..I knew one you hipsters would say this.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Choicecut posted:

They aren't, though, aside from being photos of the same general area. Pointing this out makes me a hipster? Is that meant to be some sort of insult? You're not very good at this 'posting on the internet' thing.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Choicecut posted:

I feel like this is an attack on MF/LF Portra 400 and I'm seriously considering a switch to Ektar to distance myself from the controversy.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Helicity posted:

I feel like this is an attack on MF/LF Portra 400 and I'm seriously considering a switch to Ektar to distance myself from the controversy.

I mean if you hate yourself that badly.

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

MrBlandAverage posted:

They aren't, though, aside from being photos of the same general area. Pointing this out makes me a hipster? Is that meant to be some sort of insult? You're not very good at this 'posting on the internet' thing.

Why are you taking things so serious? Are you a female?

Helicity posted:

Lol. This was clearly the appropriate response.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Choicecut posted:

Why are you taking things so serious? Are you a female?

Are you a homophobic, misogynist trash poster? (The answer is yes.)

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

MrBlandAverage posted:

Are you a homophobic, misogynist trash poster? (The answer is yes.)

Yes.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Choicecut posted:

Mainstreamers & cultural laggards still see contemporary conformists as ‘hipsters’ because they are not culturally aware enough to re-assign labels

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I'd love to hear why being female makes you so irrational, but I guess I'm too busy bleeding from my vagina and crying to care or something.

ant mouth
Oct 28, 2007

Choicecut posted:

You are on to me. My work is entirely derivative of MrBlandAverage. I tried to get his same shot but could only look down on the walkway because hipster.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Helicity posted:

Don't worry, I took my walkway photo on Astia :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Helicity posted:

That's why you should shoot Velvia 50, it's the real hipster film.