Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Real hurthling! posted:

Kenny played online against giant bomb for a youtube video. He is pretty good with alex, although dan almost beat him with random srk spam. Their sets got ruined by about a half dozen lobby errors in 50 mins tho lol.

Well, I have no doubt there will be photos and videos up of our match so that'll be fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

I'm pretty sure I'd know how I'd describe the faults of the game.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

I think the damage level of the game would be fine if everything else wasn't kind of terrible.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

SFV wouldn't be so terrible if it wasn't so terrible.

Take notes Capcom, to make your game less terrible you just need to lower the amount of terribleness of your game to lower level than terrible.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
I for one have been enjoying Street Fighter V very much the past month that I've had it and have had an awful lot of fun learning to play. I am nowhere near spergy enough to care about your 3-frame circlejerk.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Love Stole the Day posted:

I for one have been enjoying Street Fighter V very much the past month that I've had it and have had an awful lot of fun learning to play. I am nowhere near spergy enough to care about your 3-frame circlejerk.

Google returns absolutely nothing on this one, is it an amalgam of unsourced quotes?

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

ellbent posted:

Yeah, MKX losing PC support sucked. Not surprised that Injustice 2 isn't even going to be on the platform.

(Even if it did, what happened with MKX doesn't make a strong case for buying it.)

Yeah Im not buying NRS poo poo anymore because its clear they don't care.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Agoat posted:

Well, I have no doubt there will be photos and videos up of our match so that'll be fun.

Just scrub ken him. 8frames of advantage for you.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

On behalf of Capcom, I'd like to say thank you for your contribution, your check's in the mail.

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

I too have been enjoying the game, this is however the first fighting game I have really gotten into.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
It's fine to enjoy this game. It's fine to enjoy any game, really, as long as it isn't full of actual criminal bullshit. But walking into a place where people have been playing the genre for literal decades and yelling gently caress YOU AUTISTS I LIKE IT I'M NOT AN AUTIST is some attention cry for help level poo poo.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Doggir posted:

I too have been enjoying the game, this is however the first fighting game I have really gotten into.

for as much as I personally hate this game, the fact that it gets new players into the genre at all is really fantastic. if you have the ability to enjoy a fighting game like this, you should consider exploring other games in the genre. There's a steam sale on a lot of fighters right now and revelator just came out on sony consoles :]

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
Zand is using again....

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
I enjoy SFV despite its problems. Some of you are such masochists though. You obsess over a game you hate, go play Overwatch.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Mega Comrade posted:

I enjoy SFV despite its problems. Some of you are such masochists though. You obsess over a game you hate, go play Overwatch.

The saddest thing is that I have a lot more hours in OW than I have in SFV by now, hehe.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Dias posted:

The saddest thing is that I have a lot more hours in OW than I have in SFV by now, hehe.

i have more hours in overwatch than any fg released in the past 9 years

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

Zand posted:

for as much as I personally hate this game, the fact that it gets new players into the genre at all is really fantastic. if you have the ability to enjoy a fighting game like this, you should consider exploring other games in the genre. There's a steam sale on a lot of fighters right now and revelator just came out on sony consoles :]

Guilty Gear does look like a lot of fun; the biggest draw for SFV for me is having friends that play it. I've wanted to learn for forever so I could play with them, as long as that's true I can't see me giving it up as my main fighting game.

Also overwatch is a lot of fun but there is some bigger bs issues when it comes to competitive play in that game than SFV.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Hey all, fighting game playing autist man here,

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Doggir posted:

Also overwatch is a lot of fun but there is some bigger bs issues when it comes to competitive play in that game than SFV.

Eh, 20 tick you can play around in tournament settings, you can't do that poo poo with 8f of lag. Also McCree and Widow already got whacked with the nerf bat, and I don't think there's any other egregious balance issues in the game. Competitive mode being delayed is an issue, but RQing in SFV is still free, so...

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Dias posted:

It's fine to enjoy this game. It's fine to enjoy any game, really, as long as it isn't full of actual criminal bullshit. But walking into a place where people have been playing the genre for literal decades and yelling gently caress YOU AUTISTS I LIKE IT I'M NOT AN AUTIST is some attention cry for help level poo poo.

I played Starcraft for 10 years and even moved to Korea when SC2 came out and even though I really hated it and very much disliked Blizzard's handling of it, you didn't see me flooding whatever Starcraft community I was apart of with shitposting and off-topic anime discussion. I just stopped playing SC2, stopped participating in its communities, didn't buy any of the expansions Blizzard later released, and moved on with my life by spending my free time playing other games instead. Like Street Fighter V.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

I played Starcraft for 10 years and even moved to Korea when SC2 came out and even though I really hated it and very much disliked Blizzard's handling of it, you didn't see me flooding whatever Starcraft community I was apart of with shitposting and off-topic anime discussion. I just stopped playing SC2, stopped participating in its communities, didn't buy any of the expansions Blizzard later released, and moved on with my life by spending my free time playing other games instead. Like Street Fighter V.

And shitposting on those threads. Also apparently DOTA 2. God, if you were that into a game you of all people shouldn't drop the 3f sperg line, you absolute imbecile.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Dias posted:

Competitive mode being delayed is an issue, but RQing in SFV is still free, so...

I thought that was no undelayed and back on track for June?

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Yeah but did Blizzard say "no you're idiots this is genius at work." to their fanbase?

I don't think so. Capcom does. Capcom deserves the poo poo it gets.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Mega Comrade posted:

I thought that was no undelayed and back on track for June?

It is, they took it out because it was borked but said it was coming back late June short after the game was released. Blizzard is also a lot more transparent when it comes to their design decisions, deadlines (or lack of thereof) and what went wrong. Meanwhile, Capcom JPN keeps passing the buck to Capcom NA, which I think actually tries a bit, bless their hearts.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Jack Trades posted:

Everyone should play Melty Blood instead.

We're having a tourney soon. Our tourney laptop almost has a working screen and we already found some decent garbage bins we can gather around.

Just curious. Do you guys ever have any problems setting up tourneys on PCs? People always said that they stick to tourneys on consoles because PCs cause too many problems. Yet I've never had any problems with my PC.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

sc wasnt part of a grassroots scene being torn slowly limb from limb. maybe you should have posted about it more, vive la résistance etc. just because you're too weak-willed to stop your game/genre/scene from dying doesnt mean that the warriors in the streets (internet) fighting the good fight have something wrong with them.... the development of sf affects every other game in the genre and the failure of a game like sfv alongside the potential success of a game like ggxrd for example could make for a great change in the way all games of this genre develop from here on out. if posting a few posts can help, i'll be here in the trenches.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Give Smash 4 Ryu a chance, he's very strong and true to his source. You'll be pleasantly surprised how well he plays. All the manual inputs work, even 323 shoryu shortcuts.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

punk rebel ecks posted:

Just curious. Do you guys ever have any problems setting up tourneys on PCs? People always said that they stick to tourneys on consoles because PCs cause too many problems. Yet I've never had any problems with my PC.

Setting up tournaments on PC is a pain unless you have standardized, powerful setups that you're not really moving around. Oh, turns out for whatever reason this stick isn't working on setup 3, and one of the machines just hardcrashed, oh, and now it's overheating and not handling the stream setup well. it also takes a while to switch setups and it's even worse when one of them goes bad.

Sick! Thats DOPE
Aug 1, 2008

Oh sick man thats sick

Microwaves Mom posted:

Yeah but did Blizzard say "no you're idiots this is genius at work." to their fanbase?

I don't think so. Capcom does. Capcom deserves the poo poo it gets.

Blizzard were pretty clueless with handling SC2. Its actually really similar to SFV imo. Both are over-engineered games that aimed to appeal to a more casual userbase but actually just ended up not really being fun for anyone because casual users don't tend to play things just because they are easy to get into, there is a certain appeal when a game just feels "right" and both missed hugely. Blizzard also hoped custom map making would be an income source with SC2 but it took years for them to implement in any capacity as well as never really putting up any shop functionality with skins or other buyables along with a bunch of other fairly large hiccups in developing the online experience.

The more I think about it the more they are both extremely similar. In the end SC2 basically took a poo poo on what was a beloved franchise and now no one cares, wouldn't surprise me to see SFV do the same. In fact a really bothersome aspect of their gameplan for getting things back on track is how tepid it is. "Well guys we are just gonna stick to our road map, have patience!" no one has any patience. They might as well have just pulled an emergency U-Turn and in 6 months rebalanced and designed the entire thing and made sure the basic online experience worked really well. I don't think any slow trickle of content will do anything for anyone but the people already playing. If costumes were available month 2 i woulda bought em all, now I doubt I will even spend a buck.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Dias posted:

Setting up tournaments on PC is a pain unless you have standardized, powerful setups that you're not really moving around. Oh, turns out for whatever reason this stick isn't working on setup 3, and one of the machines just hardcrashed, oh, and now it's overheating and not handling the stream setup well. it also takes a while to switch setups and it's even worse when one of them goes bad.

How common is this? Can this be avoided by using Alienware setups or Linux? Does this happen even on low end games like Melty Blood?

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jun 24, 2016

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Reiley posted:

Give Smash 4 Ryu a chance, he's very strong and true to his source. You'll be pleasantly surprised how well he plays. All the manual inputs work, even 323 shoryu shortcuts.

smash 4 ryu combos are more fun than sf5

he feels cool and good in that game

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mega Comrade posted:

I have more mean posts about SFV than I do games played of SFV

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

punk rebel ecks posted:

How common is this? Can this be avoided by using Alienware setups or Linux? Does this happen even on low end games like Melty Blood?

I mean, standardized setups help a lot, it's why WNF isn't on fire every week. It's more of an issue with poverty games because those guys won't have the cash to get a bunch of good machines and those games are supposed to run on anything, right? Then you get driver conflicts and USB port issues and all that jazz. MB itself was a pain because of how long it took to set up buttons and go through that game's interface, but it being PC didn't help.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Hi, I like fighting games and the last time I played a Street Fighter game was when I was 10. Should I play Street Fighter V? Should I play Street Fighter IV? Should I play any of the Street Fighter/Tekken games?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Dias posted:

I mean, standardized setups help a lot, it's why WNF isn't on fire every week. It's more of an issue with poverty games because those guys won't have the cash to get a bunch of good machines and those games are supposed to run on anything, right? Then you get driver conflicts and USB port issues and all that jazz. MB itself was a pain because of how long it took to set up buttons and go through that game's interface, but it being PC didn't help.

I don't mean to be "that guy" but I feel much of this is because people just don't take care of their PCs. I'm always shocked when I see the state of PCs people bring to casuals.

That said, if I was a coder, I would work on a project of creating a minimalistic Debian Linux solely for fighting game tournament setups. I do think Linux could work for fighting game tourneys being that it has no drivers.

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Hi, I like fighting games and the last time I played a Street Fighter game was when I was 10. Should I play Street Fighter V? Should I play Street Fighter IV? Should I play any of the Street Fighter/Tekken games?

This is a great buy.

So is this.

And this is free.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jun 24, 2016

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Reiley posted:

If I had a wii, Ryu would have gotten me to buy smash, and Akuma will probably get me into the new Tekken.

So when/if capcom ever makes a new fg, I really hope they put Iori/kyo on the roster

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Yes, nah (because you won't get games ever), yes. I don't like SFV but it's the one where it's easiest to get matches and find people on your level. You should try some other games eventually tho, Fightcade is your friend. Tekken is dense as hell but when T7 comes out you'll probably find some new players to mash buttons against. Right now I wouldn't recommend trying to play any of them.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

punk rebel ecks posted:

I don't mean to be "that guy" but I feel much of this is because people just don't take care of their PCs.

That said, if I was a coder, I would work on a project of creating a minimalistic Debian Linux solely for fighting game tournament setups. I do think Linux could work for fighting game tourneys being that it has no drivers.

I mean, it kinda is, but you can never predict what will go wrong with a PC setup you haven't built from the ground-up. Also it's a LOT more expensive to build a stable PC setup than it is to just buy a PS4.

The issue with Linux is that a lot of fighting games on Steam aren't Linux-supported. For those that are, well, there's always the Steam Boxes.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Dias posted:

I mean, it kinda is, but you can never predict what will go wrong with a PC setup you haven't built from the ground-up.

There is some truth to this.

Dias posted:

Also it's a LOT more expensive to build a stable PC setup than it is to just buy a PS4.

No it isn't. At least not in North America and Western Europe. You can build a quality gaming PC for the same price as the PS4. Keep in mind you don't have to pay $50 a year to play online.

Dias posted:

The issue with Linux is that a lot of fighting games on Steam aren't Linux-supported. For those that are, well, there's always the Steam Boxes.
That's true, but even those games are PS4 standard. My favorite game, Skullgirls, uses PS4 and I'm still pissed about it. Noone plays on PS4. On top of that the PS4 port is messed up as when it is played in 1080p mode the timing is off. Thus you have to play in 720p mode.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jun 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I was going to write a lot of words on how sfv is a decent game for beginners even though it pales in comparison to other options. But I'm lazy so I'm not really gonna justify that opinion. If you have $40 lying around and want to follow new player tutorials on r/sf while looking at Chun li's new boob job, go for it.

But eventually you will realize, like I did, that the more fun games have less players and you will have to work to find opponents. I would suggest you check out fightcade and find some scrubs to play against (hello again).

E: we should really have a goon fightcade steam group