Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Tuskin38 posted:

Guys!

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10035123

'All lock box weapon types have been made to uniformly use the binding rule of Account-Bind-on-Equip.'

Sadly it isn't retroactive.

Nice, that'll be good for the new phaser emitters at least.

Also I might finally be able to unlock the DSD I finally finished the rep project for this anniversary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

i don't see destabilizing tetryon on that list :smith:

Dick Bass
Feb 22, 2006

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

You can wear a Voth helmet with Hawaiian gorngoon shirts, amazing.

fakemirage
Nov 6, 2012

Can't see the haters.
Mental health, not included.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Tuskin38 posted:

Sadly it isn't retroactive.
Oh come on Cryptic it isn't that hard to change a flag on a bunch of item types, you know exactly which ones they are. :argh: Of course with your lovely database handling it would probably delete characters or something.

Still a welcome change, if like two years late. Now they just need to make everything else in the boxes account bound or unlocked.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

"Cryptic posted:

Existing bound versions cannot be unbound, but future obtained versions of these weapons will reflect this change.

So I'm guessing that unboxed & unbound guns will not get changed, only freshly unboxed ones?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Asimo posted:

Oh come on Cryptic it isn't that hard to change a flag on a bunch of item types, you know exactly which ones they are. :argh: Of course with your lovely database handling it would probably delete characters or something.

Still a welcome change, if like two years late. Now they just need to make everything else in the boxes account bound or unlocked.

According to the Cryptic monkey on the reddit, if they did do it they'd have to implement it via a buyback vendor. :psyduck: I'm staring to think they don't have anyone left who knows SQL.

Mondian posted:

So I'm guessing that unboxed & unbound guns will not get changed, only freshly unboxed ones?

Same guy says this should change to Account Bind, but he's not sure.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
I suppose their answers were intentionally... cryptic.

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime

Can't wait for your next round of forums alts, Binkley. I know you won't let us down.

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.
So for the TOS uniform they made 16 new unique assignment badges + 6 designs from the TV series. With the 5 department logos (they added a 5th, Temporal)

That is kind of cool TBH. Though it really clutters the badge menu.

This isn't just for TOS characters, the badges are for anyone who owns the TOS uniform.

Tuskin38 fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jun 23, 2016

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

That reminds me; when Romulans got their temporal lockbox ships did they get temporal uniforms too?

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Asimo posted:

It's more likely that the only way their SQL intern* can figure out how to do it involves a gazillion unindexed joins and would take weeks to run while grinding everything in the game to a halt.

* I'm assuming at this point that cryptic doesn't have any actual database guys left working on STO.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

MikeJF posted:

According to the Cryptic monkey on the reddit, if they did do it they'd have to implement it via a buyback vendor. :psyduck: I'm staring to think they don't have anyone left who knows SQL.
:lol:

Okay yeah, that's the Cryptic coding I was expecting. Actually considering their persistent issues with changing skills and items and stuff I can't help but wonder if they are using some sort of clunky proprietary database system instead. I mean it would be insane, but this is Cryptic, and it matches some of the hilarity I've heard about CoH's coding...

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Asimo posted:

Okay yeah, that's the Cryptic coding I was expecting. Actually considering their persistent issues with changing skills and items and stuff I can't help but wonder if they are using some sort of clunky proprietary database system instead. I mean it would be insane, but this is Cryptic, and it matches some of the hilarity I've heard about CoH's coding...

When did the game come out? It's probably MongoDB because someone thought it was the new hotness. (It is, in the steaming pile sense.)

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

We used MongoDB in Database class in college... This year.

They added a Science Officer 0718 BOFF to both Temporal Agent packs.

Tuskin38 fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jun 23, 2016

AotC
May 16, 2010

18 Character Limit posted:

When did the game come out? It's probably MongoDB because someone thought it was the new hotness. (It is, in the steaming pile sense.)

Whoa, MongoDB is fantastic. It's web scale.

STO uses a custom database that they paid two guys to make over the course of a year. Who needs ACID when it can be fast as hell?

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Tuskin38 posted:

We used MongoDB in Database class in college... This year.

They added a Science Officer 0718 BOFF to both Temporal Agent packs.

Pretty sure it's now possible to have your ship entirely crewed by robots and holograms.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

SKY COQ posted:

Pretty sure it's now possible to have your ship entirely crewed by robots and holograms.
Let's see...

Veteran Android
The old photonic science officer from the old referral program.
The new Picardo EMH from convention giveaways.
MACO/KHG holograms (can get multiples of these guys)
Photonic engineering officer from the delta recruit thing.
The holo-Leeta from that charity giveaway.

So yeah, pretty easily. :v:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Asimo posted:

They probably couldn't do a vendor right either.

Remember that for months and months after the item restructuring the legacy console reclaimer guy would pay you GPL for any science console in the game.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Tunicate posted:

Remember that for months and months after the item restructuring the legacy console reclaimer guy would pay you GPL for any science console in the game.

AKA how I have any latinum at all, and sweet club wear.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Temporal rep set visuals.

I am going to be the prettiest space princess.

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...

SKY COQ posted:

If you had 0718 as part of the crew, it would not be: 0718 is a cyborg. :science:

SKY COQ posted:

Temporal rep set visuals.

I am going to be the prettiest space princess.
It is a shame that they give us that deflector but boring engine cosmetics.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost
We have entered the crazy time on Axanar blowback. Spoilered for call to violence.

STO forums user marcusdkane posted:

F**k you, Alec Peters, you egotistical piece of trash. I hope some mad b**tard shoots you, like happened to Claudia Christian, but I hope this guy has the sense to use a real gun! You've killed people's dreams, you vile slime. I hope you get whatever's coming to you, and that you rot in hell :mad:

Edit: and mod askray just deleted all posts quoting or referencing it.

18 Character Limit fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jun 24, 2016

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Lorak posted:

It is a shame that they give us that deflector but boring engine cosmetics.

Visual slots! I never run visual engines that don't leave massive glowclouds any more.

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

We have entered the crazy time on Axanar blowback. Spoilered for call to violence.

Edit: and mod askray just deleted all posts quoting or referencing it.

Claudia Christian isn't even Star Trek LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43Wb_QewNcI

But here is the story anyways, its weird very weird. She was shot by a fan.

Tuskin38 fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jun 24, 2016

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Tuskin38 posted:

Claudia Christian isn't even Star Trek LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43Wb_QewNcI

But here is the story anyways, its weird very weird. She was shot by a fan.

Wow that story has everything. Tribbles, blood, bruises, and guns!

"Oh Yeah!" :aaaaa:

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
I'm behind on the fandom drama, why are Trekkies mad at the Axanar guy?

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

A Fancy Bloke posted:

I'm behind on the fandom drama, why are Trekkies mad at the Axanar guy?

CBS released fan film guidelines that basically shitcan every production (including Star Trek Continues and Renegades). Obviously this is Axanar's fault. So fandom is over.

18 Character Limit fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jun 24, 2016

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

To be fair, it basically was Axanar's fault - they tried to profit majorly off Axanar, forcing CBS to get official and legal about this poo poo instead of just ignoring it.

The restrictions that are problematic are:

- You can either make a single self-contained production up to 30 minutes long with no further episodes, or a series of entirely self-contained non-continuing episodes no more than 15 minutes long each.
- Nobody who's ever worked on anything related to Real Trek can work on these. This torpedos a massive number of cameos a lot of these have, but more importantly, wipes out most of the big one's CGI guys.

Also I love that all your props have to be Real CBS Merchandise where available. So money-grubbing.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I feel like if they gave you the option of continuing episodes I'd call that "pretty generous".

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

I took some images of the Kelvin Timeline stuff from the new mission

https://imgur.com/a/j2sR4

The Klingon ships are just regular B'Rels, but they were named D4, so they must be placeholder.

MikeJF posted:

To be fair, it basically was Axanar's fault - they tried to profit majorly off Axanar, forcing CBS to get official and legal about this poo poo instead of just ignoring it.

The restrictions that are problematic are:

- You can either make a single self-contained production up to 30 minutes long with no further episodes, or a series of entirely self-contained non-continuing episodes no more than 15 minutes long each.
- Nobody who's ever worked on anything related to Real Trek can work on these. This torpedos a massive number of cameos a lot of these have, but more importantly, wipes out most of the big one's CGI guys.

Also I love that all your props have to be Real CBS Merchandise where available. So money-grubbing.

People who don't work on screen could still technically work on them, props and CGI guys, just use a pseudonym.

A few of the actors from Star Trek Continues are doing voices in STO with the new expansion, guess Vic and can't do STC anymore even if he were to follow the guidelines (and they didn't have the non-continuing clause).

Also, you can't use any props/costumes you purchased if they're not officially licensed. So Fan Film makers either need to make their own or buy official ones, no more hiring people to make their poo poo.

Tuskin38 fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jun 24, 2016

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

wdarkk posted:

I feel like if they gave you the option of continuing episodes I'd call that "pretty generous".

IIRC the continuing episodes have a fairly sharp total time limit, including all sequels, prequels, remakes, et cetera.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I was honestly expecting this boom to get lowered a long while ago.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

It's absolutely NoSQL. At one point they pushed a patch out that broke their references and they spent like a day of downtime fixing their referencial integrity.

No idea why you'd use a NoSQL db for a game like this. It's a huge pain in the rear end. Wouldn't surprise me if everything was just serialized json blobs or something and that's why they can't ever update things already in the wild.

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

Cutedge posted:

It's absolutely NoSQL. At one point they pushed a patch out that broke their references and they spent like a day of downtime fixing their referencial integrity.

No idea why you'd use a NoSQL db for a game like this. It's a huge pain in the rear end.
Wouldn't surprise me if everything was just serialized json blobs or something and that's why they can't ever update things already in the wild.

Very warm.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Apparently Cryptic rolled their own NoSQL db when they wrote Champions in 2007. :psyduck: With their own c-based query language. :psypop:

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jun 24, 2016

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

Actually, remembering STO's history, they didn't have a ton of time so it's all based on their Champions tech. From the timeframe it's probably not even JSON but XML.

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

MikeJF posted:

Apparently Cryptic rolled their own NoSQL db when they wrote Champions in 2007. :psyduck: With their own c-based query language. :psypop:

C macros.

Cutedge posted:

Actually, remembering STO's history, they didn't have a ton of time so it's all based on their Champions tech. From the timeframe it's probably not even JSON but XML.

The design has a similar look and feel to JSON but is custom and proprietary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Jesus christ.

• Locked thread